Pre Season 22/23

EBS1980

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

Just read it's end June and our first game is in austra v Klagenfurt whose son hassehutl's son plays for 😂

Surely we will have our coaches in place before the squad return, otherwise who’s doing the coaching?

40 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

We still have a fitness coach so I imagine they'll be doing the majority of the early pre season work

Indeed, although still odd that the coaches aren’t in place already…or just not announced yet perhaps.

For an optimal pre-season that we need after the last few shambolic seasons (as in utterly inconsistent), you’d think the coaching staff would be in place, fully involved in the planning etc. to get the best out of players and start developing some togetherness and grit. More players in place would be good too. 

Pre-season might be mostly about fitness but it’s also about building team spirit and confidence for a better season. 

15 minutes ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

Indeed, although still odd that the coaches aren’t in place already…or just not announced yet perhaps.

For an optimal pre-season that we need after the last few shambolic seasons (as in utterly inconsistent), you’d think the coaching staff would be in place, fully involved in the planning etc. to get the best out of players and start developing some togetherness and grit. More players in place would be good too. 

Pre-season might be mostly about fitness but it’s also about building team spirit and confidence for a better season. 

According to most, Watson and Davis did fck all anyway and we’ve bought in a new assistant who you could argue replaces Fleming, so maybe that’s it?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Saints currently have 3 first team coaches/manager, plus fitness coaches and a 1st team keeper coach.

Easy way for this to be confirmed would be for the club to confirm what the set up will be next season. I assume if selles was the only one coming in they would have informed us when making the announcement of his arrival. Ie - our coaching set up for next season is complete.....

Perhaps they could confirm the McCarthy & Stephens contracts at the same time. 

Comms is woeful.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, whiteleySaint30 said:

Easy way for this to be confirmed would be for the club to confirm what the set up will be next season. I assume if selles was the only one coming in they would have informed us when making the announcement of his arrival. Ie - our coaching set up for next season is complete.....

Comms is woeful.  

I guess the importance to fans knowing who is going to put the cones out is quite low on list I'd say. Let's just let the club do what they see fit in that area it's not really going to upset me either way, they did actually indicate in one of the athletic articles that the club may not replace like for like (watson/davis/fleming) and may not have as many coaches next season.

The McCarthy and Stephens contracts are odd though, with no reference to this from the club. It 'may' be something as innocent in that the club activated clauses in their existing contracts to extend the years and they didn't actually sign new contracts in the fuller sense? God knows.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I guess the importance to fans knowing who is going to put the cones out is quite low on list I'd say. Let's just let the club do what they see fit in that area it's not really going to upset me either way, they did actually indicate in one of the athletic articles that the club may not replace like for like (watson/davis/fleming) and may not have as many coaches next season.

The McCarthy and Stephens contracts are odd though, with no reference to this from the club. It 'may' be something as innocent in that the club activated clauses in their existing contracts to extend the years and they didn't actually sign new contracts in the fuller sense? God knows.

They announced at least one of them when they did the retained list. McCarthy I think. Presumably Stephens already had a contract that went past this summer.

19 minutes ago, Scummer said:

They announced at least one of them when they did the retained list. McCarthy I think. Presumably Stephens already had a contract that went past this summer.

They announced both Stephens and McCarthy's previously-signed contract extensions in the retained list news article.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, whiteleySaint30 said:

Comms is woeful.  

We already know though! But may be someone else added to this...

- Hassenhüttl,  Kitzbichler and Selles are the three 1st team outfield coaches 

- Banks is the 1stteam fitness coach

- Sparkes is the 1st team keeper coach

Plus they stated in the retained list article that Stephens and McCarthy have extended contracts.

Edited by Matthew Le God

41 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

We already know though! But may be someone else added to this...

- Hassenhüttl,  Kitzbichler and Selles are the three 1st team outfield coaches 

- Banks is the 1stteam fitness coach

- Sparkes is the 1st team keeper coach

Plus they stated in the retained list article that Stephens and McCarthy have extended contracts.

I though Kitzbichler was more of a video analyst to analyse the opposition then someone who is on the training ground doing drills etc etc

4 minutes ago, nta786 said:

I though Kitzbichler was more of a video analyst to analyse the opposition then someone who is on the training ground doing drills etc etc

He can be seen in many training photo galleries and videos of the players at Staplewood the club publish.

Edited by Matthew Le God

On 27/06/2022 at 21:35, EBS1980 said:

Surely we will have our coaches in place before the squad return, otherwise who’s doing the coaching?

Thought everybody knew Ralph does all the coaching and doesn't like others interfering 🙂

The best thing about pre-season starting is that i dont have to endure our players posing on social media on their holidays or training clips.

If they want to win me over post their fitness test assessment and ranking in the squad when they do that down solent.

I want to know whose the fittest and whose the fattest.

• Like 1

Worth reading too much into who isn't in the pics?

Redmond, Moussa, Theo, Smallbone, Valery, Armstrong (A). They are the players I'd have expected to be there given they weren't involved in internationals, but equally they are apparently the players we've told can 'leave'. No Long there is potentially a sign that he's gone.

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Redmond, Moussa, Theo, Smallbone, Valery, Armstrong (A). They are the players I'd have expected to be there given they weren't involved in internationals, but equally they are apparently the players we've told can 'leave'. No Long there is potentially a sign that he's gone.

Smallbone and Moussa played internationally so will be back later.

No long, could he be finally gone!!!!!

7 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I don't think so because it could be staggered to enable them to do their fitness checks/testing.

Just from the pics there was also no Salisu or Perraud either and unless all of those players you mentioned had imminent moves lined up then there is no real reason to stop them coming in.

I am sure the majority of them will appear in the next couple of days.

Once they get properly into it, will be very intetesting to see which youngsters are in the first team training.

1 minute ago, Dusic said:

I don't think so because it could be staggered to enable them to do their fitness checks/testing.

Just from the pics there was also no Salisu or Perraud either and unless all of those players you mentioned had imminent moves lined up then there is no real reason to stop them coming in.

I am sure the majority of them will appear in the next couple of days.

Once they get properly into it, will be very intetesting to see which youngsters are in the first team training.

Exactly this. 

Returned

Mateusz Lis,Gavin Bazunu, Alex McCarthy, Willy Caballero, Armel Bella-Kotchap, Dynel Simeu, Lyanco, Jack Stephens, Kyle Walker-Peters, Oriol Romeu, Ibrahima Diallo, Nathan Tella, Kamari Doyle, Dominic Ballard.

Internationals (returning later)

Jan Bednarek, James Ward-Prowse, Stuart Armstrong, Moussa Djenepo, Will Smallbone, Moi Elyounoussi, Che Adams.

Injured

Romain Perraud, Tino Livramento.

Not Returned

Mohammed Salisu, Yan Valery, Nathan Redmond, Adam Armstrong, Theo Walcott.

The not returned group all look to be people we are hoping to move on - apart from Salisu, he was used in the shirt launch so imagine one we want to keep but wonder why he wasn’t back yesterday?

39 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

Returned

Mateusz Lis,Gavin Bazunu, Alex McCarthy, Willy Caballero, Armel Bella-Kotchap, Dynel Simeu, Lyanco, Jack Stephens, Kyle Walker-Peters, Oriol Romeu, Ibrahima Diallo, Nathan Tella, Kamari Doyle, Dominic Ballard.

Jan Bednarek, James Ward-Prowse, Stuart Armstrong, Moussa Djenepo, Will Smallbone, Moi Elyounoussi, Che Adams.

Injured

Not Returned

The not returned group all look to be people we are hoping to move on - apart from Salisu, he was used in the shirt launch so imagine one we want to keep but wonder why he wasn’t back yesterday?

This list really does highlight the real lack of quality we have up front and in the ten position. So clearly crying out for an upgrade

1 hour ago, EBS1980 said:

Returned

Injured

Not Returned

Thought I saw Jake Vokins too.

3 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

All quiet on the Long front. I believe it’s today that the contracts expire so perhaps we’ll here some news before too long.

& if we don’t hear it from the club, Kayleah Long will no doubt inform us.

1 hour ago, EBS1980 said:

Returned

Injured

Not Returned

Screenshot_20220630-123949-909.png

2 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

Keeping Shane Long for one more season might be a wise decision.

He's not going to start too many games but with so many new/ young players on the way in, it might be good to have an older head around on match days.

Ahhh just what we want, 30k a week for a bloke with 3 goals in his last 50 league games teaching the youngsters how it’s done

4 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

Keeping Shane Long for one more season might be a wise decision.

He's not going to start too many games but with so many new/ young players on the way in, it might be good to have an older head around on match days.

If that's his role then just sign him up as a kitman or u18 coach or something.

• Like 1