Pre Season 22/23

EBS1980

Just now, Saint Garrett said:

Sounds like we probably need to buy 3 attacking players…that’s not going to happen…concerning. 

Think we need 2 as a minimum, a left sided 10 and a striker. Both need to be of starting quality otherwise we’re in the shit. If we’re playing 5 at the back I’d rather we spend on colwill rather than another attacker

1 minute ago, Saint Garrett said:

Sounds like we probably need to buy 3 attacking players…that’s not going to happen…concerning. 

I think at least two - a proper number 9 striker, who we can play to, and another nippy/smaller more mobile attacker who could play up front or wide.

The third addition will probably be reserved for full back cover, as we're also desperately short there if you look at it. Perraud and KWP are the only two starters we look likey to have for the start of the season, although Perraud is injured.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, warwicksaint said:

Think we need 2 as a minimum, a left sided 10 and a striker. Both need to be of starting quality otherwise we’re in the shit. If we’re playing 5 at the back I’d rather we spend on colwill rather than another attacker

I think B-K and Salisu would be a good CB pairing, so my hope is that any remaining budget goes on 2-3 attack minded forwards that are good enough to start. If you don’t score you don’t win games!

For me we are lacking cutting edge up top and in midfield. 

If we don't invest properly we might aswell prepare for the Championship.

Need a marquee striker signing somebody who is strong / targetman type. 

A creative player capable of linking the attack thing a younger version of Tadic is such a thing exists. 

And someone like Delap or Vale in in loan. 

Job done 

3 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I think B-K and Salisu would be a good CB pairing, so my hope is that any remaining budget goes on 2-3 attack minded forwards that are good enough to start. If you don’t score you don’t win games!

Yep that’s the decision ralph has to make. Does he play 4 at the back and commit to buying more attackers and a backup RB/LB, or commit to 5 at the back and only buy 2 attackers + CB + backup RB/LB

7 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Early days but has BK shown anything to suggest he’s ready for the rough and tumble of EPL at his age ?

We all hope we’ve unearthed a gem, but equally he could turn out to be Danso Mk II.

• Like 2

I didn't see the second half but of the first half team I thought Smallbone showed promise. Small has pace but not really ready I think, although playing so far forward and wide gave him quite a job to do, and as somebody noted he did make an effort to get back. Diamond Edwards has something about him, particularly bearing in mind that it was his first game with the first team squad.

I'd have to find a recording of the second half but the opinions of Elyounoussi and Djenepo come as no surprise. There'll have been a few lessons learnt from that, and useful mileage in their legs three days after the previous game, which what this is all about. We know they are looking for new forwards and this will have underlined the need.

One thing i would say about Small is that the wingbacks have clearly been told to get forward, so it’s bound to leave space in those deep wide areas. However the left sided CB is supposed to push a bit more to cover those areas. Stephens was playing far too central to do that. Whether that’s him being poor at reading the game or just used to playing in a back 4 who knows but it did make Small look worse than it first appears

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, warwicksaint said:

One thing i would say about Small is that the wingbacks have clearly been told to get forward, so it’s bound to leave space in those deep wide areas. However the left sided CB is supposed to push a bit more to cover those areas. Stephens was playing far too central to do that. Whether that’s him being poor at reading the game or just used to playing in a back 4 who knows but it did make Small look worse than it first appears

Yeah, I feel a bit sorry for small. In the game against Cov in the FA Cup he was kind of hung out to dry surrounded by crap, and he was given a start today in a very substandard team with the likes of Stephens etc providing cover. He'd have probably looked better with Salisu covering behind him.

Edited by S-Clarke

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Yeah, I feel a bit sorry for small. In the game against Cov in the FA Cup he was kind of hung out to dry surrounded by crap, and he was given a start today in a very substandard team with the likes of Stephens etc providing cover. He'd have probably looked better with Salisu covering behind him.

Exactly, pair him with Salisu who’s quick enough to cover those areas and it gives him more freedom to push higher up the pitch. JWP will also be back to make up the ground should the attacker want to cut inside 

1 minute ago, warwicksaint said:

Yep that’s the decision ralph has to make. Does he play 4 at the back and commit to buying more attackers and a backup RB/LB, or commit to 5 at the back and only buy 2 attackers + CB + backup RB/LB

My view is the Prem demands more than a two man midfield so 5 at the back is a luxury…better to have a true DM that stays back to protect the backline if the fullbacks are caught upfield. Strikers a must though.

Just now, Saint Fan CaM said:

My view is the Prem demands more than a two man midfield so 5 at the back is a luxury…better to have a true DM that stays back to protect the backline if the fullbacks are caught upfield. Strikers a must though.

Can always do 5-3-2, with Romeu, Lavia and JWP in the midfield. Just means the wingbacks need to work their bollocks off to provide the support 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Badger said:

Early days but has BK shown anything to suggest he’s ready for the rough and tumble of EPL at his age ?

We all hope we’ve unearthed a gem, but equally he could turn out to be Danso Mk II.

Thought he looked pretty composed but yes, it’s early days. I just hope Ralph decides on his best team and it doesn’t include McCarthy and Bednarek!

7 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Would like to see us try a 4-3-3 type formation.

Bazunu; KWP, ABK, Salisu, Perraud; Lavia, JWP, Smallbone/Armstrong; Aribo, Adams/New signing, New signing.

Two new signings required up top. 

I'd prefer us in a 4141 or if he must have 2 up top 4132, had 3/5 at the back we're simply not good enough offensively for that and will still leak goals,  4 at the back with probably OR at cdm as he's probably the best disaplined to do that, countless times we gave up midfield even to weaker teams, with a 4 1 we have security and should be able to keep tight in midfield and stop all these breaking line passes teams use on us 

3 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

I'd prefer us in a 4141 or if he must have 2 up top 4132, had 3/5 at the back we're simply not good enough offensively for that and will still leak goals,  4 at the back with probably OR at cdm as he's probably the best disaplined to do that, countless times we gave up midfield even to weaker teams, with a 4 1 we have security and should be able to keep tight in midfield and stop all these breaking line passes teams use on us 

Pretty obvious we won't be doing 4141 or 4222, when you stock up with CBs ( I count 7 including Valery and Simeu) and CMs it's bleedin obvious Ralph is planning 352/532 which was always his preferred formation before he joined us. Of course it requires 2/3 attackers to make it work, what we have up front at the mo is woeful.

1 minute ago, VectisSaint said:

Pretty obvious we won't be doing 4141 or 4222, when you stock up with CBs ( I count 7 including Valery and Simeu) and CMs it's bleedin obvious Ralph is planning 352/532 which was always his preferred formation before he joined us. Of course it requires 2/3 attackers to make it work, what we have up front at the mo is woeful.

Alright chopsy,  that's why I said I'd prefer,  we all know what the stubborn prick will play even tho it doesn't work, we again will let in 60 plus goals and score 40 odd

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

6 3 1 would be pretty decent

We might win games if we play 6-6-6. (And if nobody notices the extra 8 players...) 😁

Apart from a brief few minutes today and the other day I didn't see much, but it's still early days. As it stands we need two strikers, another 10 and a full back. Another CB is a luxury but if the right player came up maybe we'd go for it but I think we have to wait until we ship one out. Ultimately we're 4/5 players away from being ready, otherwise we head into another season with gaps in the squad like every season. Still time, seems to be some decent work so far in this transfer window. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SNSUN said:

We might win games if we play 6-6-6. (And if nobody notices the extra 8 players...) 😁

Apart from a brief few minutes today and the other day I didn't see much, but it's still early days. As it stands we need two strikers, another 10 and a full back. Another CB is a luxury but if the right player came up maybe we'd go for it but I think we have to wait until we ship one out. Ultimately we're 4/5 players away from being ready, otherwise we head into another season with gaps in the squad like every season. Still time, seems to be some decent work so far in this transfer window. 

All those individual errors and tactical cock with 19 players though 😳

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, kjurwi said:

I must have been drinking cause i thoght 🤔Djenepo had a good game. No one else does so i must be wrong🙂

You will be hounded out of SaintsWeb for comments like that!😉 Fwiw I agree with you (although he did let a ball run under his foot out of play just in front of Ralph!). I also think all our new recruits look good, especially Lavia. We obviously need another striker, not necessarily to replace Armstrong (whose confidence looks shot) but possibly to play alongside him.

27 minutes ago, ItchenRob said:

You will be hounded out of SaintsWeb for comments like that!😉 Fwiw I agree with you (although he did let a ball run under his foot out of play just in front of Ralph!). I also think all our new recruits look good, especially Lavia. We obviously need another striker, not necessarily to replace Armstrong (whose confidence looks shot) but possibly to play alongside him.

He is obvisiously a decent footballer but being a decent footballer in the PL is a different matter.

Although I fully supported the SFC strategy of buying in players like him the strategy has failed to produce a consistent team playing decent football

Our Academy has failed to produce PL players and the strategy seems just to avoid relegation.

Compare this to Hampshire cricket which develops young players but also brings in proven players like Gubbins Barker Abbas Brown and Abbott and is relatively successful

I started watching football in the early 1960s and have seen really good international players playing for the Saints and especially at home they played really well not sure if I was 16 years old today I would enjoy what was now on offer and from many comments on here neither do a lot of you.

Sports Republic may invest in the next few weeks but if they do not we may be experiencing another frustrating season

• Like 3

18 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

tbf I think we'd struggle to score goals in whatever formation we play given the options we have at the mo.

Despite changing a few players and changing a few coaches we are still stuck with the same style of play that Ralph insists upon yet which patently does not work very well as witnessed last season.

I had hoped that with new coaches we would have a more dynamic, direct and incisive style of play but it seem not, or at least not so far. Ralph's system has never produced many goals so if he is stubbornly refusing to change it and the new coaches don't have the bottle to challenge him and exert their own style of play, we will struggle once again.

Last night's display looked exactly like most of last year's with very little evidence of a significant move away from the slow  sideways, backwards and narrow style that opposition teams find so easy to play against and neutralise. People should be a little concerned at our inability to beat a relatively middle-of-the road Austrian side. Although we had most of the play in the second half we created very little and were easily held by the Klagenfurt defence. An easy night for them, an uneasy night for anybody who cares about Saints next season.

There were one or two pigeons hovering over the stadium last night

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, ItchenRob said:

Rob, he flattered to deceive. I agree with you that he made some dazzling little runs and that his footwork amazes at times but mostly his forays petered out trying to beat one man too many or he could not find a decent final pass to capitalise on his movement. He didn't have a bad game but not really good either, probably 5.5/10 performance. 

It could also be argued that he was no worse than anybody else but we need more from him than he appears to be able to offer.

Edited by Charlie Wayman

7 hours ago, Neef said:

Part of thinks the formation switch is becuase of the tough start we have. Set up quite solidly and try to grind out a few draws against the Top 6 clubs we face early doors.

More likely the lack of fit (competent) full-backs

21 hours ago, ally_uk said:

For me we are lacking cutting edge up top and in midfield. 

If we don't invest properly we might aswell prepare for the Championship.

Need a marquee striker signing somebody who is strong / targetman type. 

A creative player capable of linking the attack thing a younger version of Tadic is such a thing exists. 

And someone like Delap or Vale in in loan. 

Job done 

This is our most pro-active window in like 5/6yrs and we are buying players to fit the profile ralph wants and the club still expect more signings.

Am not sure how much else we can ask at the mo to be honest.

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Am not sure how much else we can ask at the mo to be honest.

Not certain even one of our signings starts the first game. Perhaps Aribo.

It's nice to have some more very promising kids on board, but If we're not improving the absolutely dire first XI, it's just window dressing. IMHO.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, qwertyell said:

It's nice to have some more very promising kids on board, but If we're not improving the absolutely dire first XI, it's just window dressing. IMHO.

I think we could see Bazunu, Bella-Kotchap and Aribo all start in the 1st PL game, I also wouldn't be ruling out Lavia making a strong case to start vs Spurs either. So it isn't window dressing at all.

3 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

What has lead you to believe that Bazunu, ABK, Lavia and Aribo are dire?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

The climate crisis is worse than I thought. The wrist-slitting season has come much earlier this year.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Verbal said:

The climate crisis is worse than I thought. The wrist-slitting season has come much earlier this year.

Yeah am just getting over the fuel shortage and monkeypox, at least we can soon look forward to the new ice age happening this winter.

3 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Despite changing a few players and changing a few coaches we are still stuck with the same style of play that Ralph insists upon yet which patently does not work very well as witnessed last season.

I had hoped that with new coaches we would have a more dynamic, direct and incisive style of play but it seem not, or at least not so far. Ralph's system has never produced many goals so if he is stubbornly refusing to change it and the new coaches don't have the bottle to challenge him and exert their own style of play, we will struggle once again.

Last night's display looked exactly like most of last year's with very little evidence of a significant move away from the slow  sideways, backwards and narrow style that opposition teams find so easy to play against and neutralise. People should be a little concerned at our inability to beat a relatively middle-of-the road Austrian side. Although we had most of the play in the second half we created very little and were easily held by the Klagenfurt defence. An easy night for them, an uneasy night for anybody who cares about Saints next season.

There were one or two pigeons hovering over the stadium last night

oh contraire - it produces many goals - just unfortunately for the other sides

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, warwicksaint said:

Exactly, pair him with Salisu who’s quick enough to cover those areas and it gives him more freedom to push higher up the pitch. JWP will also be back to make up the ground should the attacker want to cut inside 

perauds better...............

28 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

I think we could see Bazunu, Bella-Kotchap and Aribo all start in the 1st PL game, I also wouldn't be ruling out Lavia making a strong case to start vs Spurs either. So it isn't window dressing at all.

Agree with all these and defo Lavia is a potential bolter as well - will be following the rest of pre-season closely

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I think we've actually got a reasonable balance. Salisu and BK give us pace and power, Bednarek can play in a 3CB role and is also a good choice if we're going to be more defensive in a game (as opposed to the high press).

That said, we do presumably need to sell some players!