Stewarding today (Man Utd H)

Paul Chuckle

1 minute ago, SotonianWill said:

Arsenal fans all saying how they’ve bought tickets on mass in the home end again, many saying they have tickets near the away fans. Seriously, what has Toby Steele done good for Saints? He’s taken away block one, blamed our own fanbase for any trouble, said there was no problem with away fans in home end when we saw it happen almost every game last season leading to trouble like Newcastle at home when their fans got ran out the ground. What is he doing, playing space raider on his computer all day or something? 

The bloke is an arrogant idiot.

Semmens is not far off

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

Arsenal fans all saying how they’ve bought tickets on mass in the home end again, many saying they have tickets near the away fans. Seriously, what has Toby Steele done good for Saints? He’s taken away block one, blamed our own fanbase for any trouble, said there was no problem with away fans in home end when we saw it happen almost every game last season leading to trouble like Newcastle at home when their fans got ran out the ground. What is he doing, playing space raider on his computer all day or something? 

I wonder if the club know this and don't care, or just have no idea.

Maybe they are allowing it on purpose so they can ban any Saints who has a pop at one of them.

25 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

Arsenal fans all saying how they’ve bought tickets on mass in the home end again, many saying they have tickets near the away fans.

How many times do you hear this and it just doesn't happen? Just about every time we play a 'big' club. Even West Ham were claiming "500 Hammers will be in the home end" before last weekend.

You'll get some exiled away fans who register with a southern postcode and get in but it's usually just bullshit that gains momentum.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, alehouseboys said:

How many times do you hear this and it just doesn't happen? Just about every time we play a 'big' club. Even West Ham were claiming "500 Hammers will be in the home end" before last weekend.

You'll get some exiled away fans who register with a southern postcode and get in but it's usually just bullshit that gains momentum.

Exactly this.

11 minutes ago, The Cat said:

I wonder if the club know this and don't care, or just have no idea.

Maybe they are allowing it on purpose so they can ban any Saints who has a pop at one of them.

I know that when the game was on sale to members there were thousands left but during general sale sold out quite quickly, not sure why Saints don't at least try restricted general sale to those on database. They just make it easy as possible for anyone to login and buy, guess it's a product of us being one of the very few Premier league clubs who struggle to fill our own ground. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, alehouseboys said:

You don't need to make up a southern post code, could put Tony Adams, 1 Highbury Road and the ticket office would ask how many would you like sir? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 08/10/2022 at 10:50, LGTL said:

They’ll be sorry once we inevitably get relegated and crowds of 15,000 turn up. You can’t act like this when you’re Southampton Football Club, as we are only a bad run away from relegation. 

Quite who they think we are, christ knows. 

this is what happens when you have idiots from marketing and aviation companies running a football club with no understanding of the game. They dont seem to realise if/when we go down our gates will drop by about 8-10k every week and the very people they show such distain for now will be the ones they will be begging to come back to keep the lights on. Arrogant pricks. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, JRM said:

You don't need to make up a southern post code, could put Tony Adams, 1 Highbury Road and the ticket office would ask how many would you like sir? 

I don't doubt that and they'd probably also drop them round gift-wrapped if you're an away fan, but the last time I saw big numbers in the home stands was Man Utd back at the Dell early 70s. If Arsenal really have 'bought mass' around St Mary's it will go off, let's see how the club talk their way around that.

• Like 1

I am fairly sure we are one of only 3/4 clubs where every game comfortably goes on general sale for home games.

In fact even our games vs Utd/Liverpool go general sale to anyone with purchase history which ain’t that hard. 

Almost any other club would require a membership to get a ticket. 

No shock though when you charge stupid prices like £70 for Block 31 and £50+ in the centre seats for Category B games

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alehouseboys said:

I don't doubt that and they'd probably also drop them round gift-wrapped if you're an away fan, but the last time I saw big numbers in the home stands was Man Utd back at the Dell early 70s. If Arsenal really have 'bought mass' around St Mary's it will go off, let's see how the club talk their way around that.

I actually agree there won't be masses of actual Arsenal fans, few dotted around, there will be loads of "Premier league" fans who turn up when we play big teams and spend their time trying to get photos of visiting star players ,maybe wear a half and half Scarf etc. It's the corporate area and boxes that always have loads supporting the away team in. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nta786 said:

I am fairly sure we are one of only 3/4 clubs where every game comfortably goes on general sale for home games.

In fact even our games vs Utd/Liverpool go general sale to anyone with purchase history which ain’t that hard. 

Almost any other club would require a membership to get a ticket. 

No shock though when you charge stupid prices like £70 for Block 31 and £50+ in the centre seats for Category B games

You might be right, though our reported attendances this season are high, well above 30k. In seasons past we got well under 30k for the opening games of the season.  Matches against the top 6 are no real indication so I won’t include Chelsea or Man Utd, but we’ve had over 30k for Leeds and Everton this season. West Ham got 29 so a but if a downturn but a Sunday game. I will say, if this rubbish carries on I can definitely see that dropping off though. 

Edited by The Kraken

Just now, Holmes_and_Watson said:

In other news, Southampton FC are delighted to announce further Block bookings from the Masochists Society of Britain. 🙂

I have to either applaud or worry about the sanity of those who still go. Every game is reasonably easy to get either on iptv or a stream. I’ve watched almost every game on tv this season and, Chelsea apart, I can’t think of one I’d liked to have been there for. We used to be great to watch under Ralph, even often when we drew or lost. For an entertainment sport we just don’t do much of that these days.

I

6 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I have to either applaud or worry about the sanity of those who still go. Every game is reasonably easy to get either on iptv or a stream. I’ve watched almost every game on tv this season and, Chelsea apart, I can’t think of one I’d liked to have been there for. We used to be great to watch under Ralph, even often when we drew or lost. For an entertainment sport we just don’t do much of that these days.

I can see families telling their loved one that they will still be there for them when it's over, as they watch them trudge off, slump shouldered, to watch a Saints stream. 🙂

30 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

You might be right, though our reported attendances this season are high, well above 30k. In seasons past we got well under 30k for the opening games of the season.  Matches against the top 6 are no real indication so I won’t include Chelsea or Man Utd, but we’ve had over 30k for Leeds and Everton this season. West Ham got 29 so a but if a downturn but a Sunday game. I will say, if this rubbish carries on I can definitely see that dropping off though. 

All of this could have been avoided if we’d expanded to 45,000 back in 2011, we’d have given the away fans more tickets put them in the corner and made all other tickets £15. Either that Or implemented the much lauded dynamic pricing/Ryanair model of pricing that was encouraged back then. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

Tim Greenwell would decide on this, and David Thomas would oversee allowing away fans to buy tickets where they want. Neither show that they understand football, and they certainly don’t care about Saints fans as a result. They should be the first cuts on the board and Semmens should make these changes asap.

• Like 1

They are quite happy to sell an expensive 'Cat 1' ticket to some noddy Arsenal fan in the home end. This is it until we get relegated, and boy are these cretins in chrge in for a shock. Could be coming sooner rather than later.

2 hours ago, LGTL said:

They are quite happy to sell an expensive 'Cat 1' ticket to some noddy Arsenal fan in the home end. This is it until we get relegated, and boy are these cretins in chrge in for a shock. Could be coming sooner rather than later.

Wait till they start offering the whole of the Northam End to away fans if we go down for league games. 

On the original point of this thread about away fans in with home fans . For the first time I actually looked at the "Matchday information" on the O.S and saw this 

Attendees are advised that home end tickets are only to be purchased by Southampton FC fans. Away supporters will not be allowed access to home stands or will be ejected if found in home areas of the ground.

I am in the Itchen North and when we point out away fans we are told by the stewards there is nothing they can do if they are not causing trouble . 

A bit confused by this I must admit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sad saints fan said:

On the original point of this thread about away fans in with home fans . For the first time I actually looked at the "Matchday information" on the O.S and saw this 

Attendees are advised that home end tickets are only to be purchased by Southampton FC fans. Away supporters will not be allowed access to home stands or will be ejected if found in home areas of the ground.

I am in the Itchen North and when we point out away fans we are told by the stewards there is nothing they can do if they are not causing trouble . 

A bit confused by this I must admit.

Print it out and stick it under said stewards nose. 

• Like 1

Another shambles from the stewards on the entrance to Block 37-36 in the stadium. 

An Arsenal fan wearing an Arsenal hat and yellow shirt under an open jacket was shown to his seat by a steward. They were only removed after fans went over to the steward to complain. 

Another Arsenal fan cheered at the back of block 36 and was only removed after the stewards took an eternity to decide what to do and the police got involved. 

Two other Arsenal fans at the front of block 36 were only removed after again taking an age in making a decision as to what to do, after more fan protests.

The club really need to make it more difficult to buy tickets in the home end and get some competent stewards. It seems the majority of stewards just want an easy payday instead of actually trying to deal with issues.

I imagine the club's answer to what I witnessed today will be to close Block 2 of the stadium and blame the home fans.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Paul Chuckle said:

Another shambles from the stewards on the entrance to Block 37-36 in the stadium. 

An Arsenal fan wearing an Arsenal hat and yellow shirt under an open jacket was shown to his seat by a steward. They were only removed after fans went over to the steward to complain. 

Another Arsenal fan cheered at the back of block 36 and was only removed after the stewards took an eternity to decide what to do and the police got involved. 

Two other Arsenal fans at the front of block 36 were only removed after again taking an age in making a decision as to what to do, after more fan protests.

The club really need to make it more difficult to buy tickets in the home end and get some competent stewards. It seems the majority of stewards just want an easy payday instead of actually trying to deal with issues.

I imagine the club's answer to what I witnessed today will be to close Block 2 of the stadium and blame the home fans.

Ridiculous, their stadium rules are clear as day. Why can’t the pathetic stewards enforce them? Do the even know them?

5E936A71-D5EB-43CA-8F0B-BC29D83BA2FC.jpeg

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Paul Chuckle said:

Perhaps fans around them need to take action into their own hands and give them a good old kick in, rather than running to stewards. We’re far too welcoming. 

Can you imagine an away fan jumping up celebrating at Millwall or the likes? Wouldn’t happen, if someone was stupid enough to, they wouldn’t again. 

18 minutes ago, Dman said:

Perhaps fans around them need to take action into their own hands and give them a good old kick in, rather than running to stewards. We’re far too welcoming. 

Can you imagine an away fan jumping up celebrating at Millwall or the likes? Wouldn’t happen, if someone was stupid enough to, they wouldn’t again. 

That was happening on block 36 hence getting old bill

36 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

You can’t make tickets harder to buy. But you can make it harder for fans to get into the grounds and a stronger process to eject them.

I was thinking about this, which is why I set up thread to discuss it. 

it’s difficult. One of my thoughts were; 

a. First time customers have to either pick up 1 day before the game or have delivered to an SO postcode. 
b. Only allow ‘members’ to buy tickets and price membership at a cost which will act as a deterrent for 1 time customers. 
c. Make every single first time buyer buy a match day kit, meaning the ticket price would be near on £100. 

If someone wants a ticket they’ll get one. We probably need to just make it more difficult or expensive for them to get one. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Dman said:

I was thinking about this, which is why I set up thread to discuss it. 

it’s difficult. One of my thoughts were; 

a. First time customers have to either pick up 1 day before the game or have delivered to an SO postcode. 
b. Only allow ‘members’ to buy tickets and price membership at a cost which will act as a deterrent for 1 time customers. 
c. Make every single first time buyer buy a match day kit, meaning the ticket price would be near on £100. 

If someone wants a ticket they’ll get one. We probably need to just make it more difficult or expensive for them to get one. 

1 hour ago, Give it to Ron said:

They need to do what they used to do and link the big games with having to buy a ticket for Palace at home etc ...

• Like 2

Had a few kicked out of block 29. I sat next to a very pretty one. I asked straight up Saints or Arsenal, which she couldn't lie to. Then blew smoke up me jacksie saying how she liked Southampton, and how it was nice to get out of London. Then the killer line...."it was impossible to get away tickets". 

Me, I'd bring in a system that no one can buy Category A game tickets if they haven't any purchase history, and not just Category A game history either. Simple really. 

Edited by angelman

2 hours ago, Paul Chuckle said:

They need to do what they used to do and link the big games with having to buy a ticket for Palace at home etc ...

I wonder if we stopped doing that because it made no difference as people were quite happy to in effect pay double to go to one game.

There has to be a more robust policy for these games. Something like tickets only on sale to members with a purchase history since we last played that team.

Purchase history only prevents the first ticket being bought, unless you reset it every season. Otherwise you just need to get away with it once and you’re set. 

Realistically we can’t stop the tickets being bought. Even if you make it a lot more expensive, or mandate membership, the total cost will still be on par with an Emirates ticket. People will pay it. 

IMO it’s on the stewards to control. I bet we’re seen as a soft touch and easy place to get into, so if the stewards do their job properly maybe that will change and people won’t bother trying. 

Hard to see that happening given the helpful, obliging service away fans receive today. 

4 minutes ago, The Cat said:

I wonder if we stopped doing that because it made no difference as people were quite happy to in effect pay double to go to one game.

I suspect it was the opposite tbh… it hurt ticket sales so they scrapped it and just hope away fans who buy in the home end are sensible.  Dunno why it’s hard for these idiots not to advertise they are in the wrong end though

1 hour ago, Barsiem said:

I suspect it was the opposite tbh… it hurt ticket sales so they scrapped it and just hope away fans who buy in the home end are sensible.  Dunno why it’s hard for these idiots not to advertise they are in the wrong end though

Indeed, I suspect many of us on here have sat in the wrong end watching Saints during our lives. I was in the Stoke end when Begovic scored against us due to being in Uni up there at the time and I was in a hospitality box at Millwall when Lambert scored two late penalties to give us a 3-2 win as my dad knew some Millwall fans. So, similar to when you get away fans in our boxes these days. For my own safety I never made it clear that I was a Saints fan and acted as though I was a home fan, as is the expected etiquette if you are to go in to an opposite end. Guess it's for a few more likes on social media, if they make themselves known and think it looks cool if they're mouthing off in a home end.

Sometime it's difficult to stop yourself.

I had corporate seats at Old Trafford when Austin scored in last minute.  Had been well behaved all game but jumped up when he scored in an almost involuntarily reaction.  

Took a couple of blows to the back of the head but well worth it!

Then another saints fan came up to me back in the bar after so we had our own private celebrations.

14 hours ago, angelman said:

Had a few kicked out of block 29. I sat next to a very pretty one. I asked straight up Saints or Arsenal, which she couldn't lie to. Then blew smoke up me jacksie saying how she liked Southampton, and how it was nice to get out of London. Then the killer line...."it was impossible to get away tickets". 

Me, I'd bring in a system that no one can buy Category A game tickets if they haven't any purchase history, and not just Category A game history either. Simple really. 

Did you ask how she got hold of her ticket?

1 minute ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Did you ask how she got hold of her ticket?

No....on reflection, that was a bit short sighted of me

Think I might drop a line to someone. Anyone in particular one should email? Always get an away supporter or two around me and it's a bit annoying TBH

Edited by angelman

2 hours ago, John D said:

Sometime it's difficult to stop yourself.

I had corporate seats at Old Trafford when Austin scored in last minute.  Had been well behaved all game but jumped up when he scored in an almost involuntarily reaction.  

Took a couple of blows to the back of the head but well worth it!

Then another saints fan came up to me back in the bar after so we had our own private celebrations.

I went to Loftus Road with my boss a few years back - Just nano seconds before Mane rifled in the injury time winner my Boss uttered "here we go" so I was nicely primed not to forget where I was.

Last season in the Chapel I had to have word with the bloke behind who was giving supportive comment to the Liverpool players (it was like that bored kid kicking the back of your seat from about the 5th minute) - I just said to remember where you are and where you are sat as having made the effort to get a ticket it would be a shame not to see the whole game. 

Away fans in home ends has gone on for years, the difference nowadays seems to be more twats wearing colours and celebrating goals. I don’t believe you’ll ever stamp it out through pricing or ticketing policy, you need stewards to do their job and the planks to stop making it so fucking obvious. 

I know a West Ham supporter who got tickets in the home end at Bournemouth . He turned up really early dressed in a suit, wandered down to the front & hopped over the fence. He then causally walked round the outside of the pitch to the away end and jumped over the barrier. Nobody said a word and one of the ground staff even said hello to him. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Haha 4

On 18/10/2022 at 19:55, Toadhall Saint said:

Exactly this.

It wasn’t bullshit .. block 35 wen they scored had about 15-20 fans in one area celebrating on the steps .. home fans kicked off .. nothing done .. loada arsenal turned up at the gate wearing shirts and was only told to cover up and then let in.. 

Go to a game and see instead of keyboarding on you’re armchair wanking over you’re shit match day streams .

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

It wasn’t bullshit .. block 35 wen they scored had about 15-20 fans in one area celebrating on the steps .. home fans kicked off .. nothing done .. loada arsenal turned up at the gate wearing shirts and was only told to cover up and then let in.. 

Go to a game and see instead of keyboarding on you’re armchair wanking over you’re shit match day streams .

😂

• 2 weeks later...

Let's be honest about this. We don't even have a proper home end for away fans to get into. The Chapel is supposedly it but it's full of families, old people and some of our most passive fans. Meanwhile our most vocal and supposedly hardest fans lurk in the corners of the away end, where the away fans take the p!ss out of them. Most of our homes sections might just as well be described as neutral. It's not as if anyone sings in them or displays any partisan support. We've messed this up for ourselves.  It's no wonder away fans rule the roost at St Mary's. I can't see the same thing happening at Newcastle.

Edited by Nordic Saint
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Looking at the away section today , there is absolutely zero presence in that section of stewards coats, they are all down the sides, what is surprising is just like v West Ham you could not see the gangway steps from bottom to top in that whole section. Given the feeble cobblers spouted to close Block 1 - that away section 2 games running is ripe for the club having the book thrown at them on health and safety. I can’t recall being at an away game  and stewards not patrolling the steps to keep them clear.

• Like 1

We have seats in Block 35 and at yesterdays game there 3 Newcastle supporters in front of us. The point is that they should never have made it to their seats as they had brought pints of beer with them. How many stewards did they walk past at the bottom of the steps? The same thing happened after the half time interval, up the steps with their pints. It was only mid way through the second half that their behaviour had them removed. And this was only because one young steward actually ventured past the halfway point on the steps and a few angry fans pointed them out.