The most average Saint

Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan

I've seen comments about the best players to play for Saints, and jokes about those we wished had never graced the Dell or St Marys, but I'm intrigued by who is deemed as the most average of Saint, and maybe even an average Saints 11.

For me, it is someone whose quality for us was in the top flight, but in teams that finished in the lower half. Never quite nailed down a starting spot, but was helpful across a few seasons under a manager or two, and maybe a lower level international.

Based on my criteria I think I have two distinctly average Saints to get the ball rolling: Danny Higginbotham, and Paul Telfer. Solid, dependable professional footballers but guaranteed to have never been picked by a fan to have their name and number on the back of a shirt.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Monkeyboy said:

GK - Maik Taylor

RB - Paul Telfer

CB - Richard Dyrden 

CB - Tahar El Khalej

LB - Simon Charlton

RM - Stuart Ripley

CM - Neil Maddison 

CM - Rory Delap

LM - Neil McCann

ST - Brett Ormerod 

ST - Mark Hughes (for us)

I can never read Tahar's name without getting that stupid song about his new boots stuck in my head.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Redmond!

I agree, as you pointed out on another thread. I think, if we’re using this metric to mean literally average and not as a derogatory byword for substandard, I’d pick a team something like.

Stekelenberg

Telfer - Williams - Lundekvam - Le Saux

Redmond - Anders - Romeu - S. Armstrong

Tessem - Adams

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Monkeyboy said:

GK - Maik Taylor

RB - Paul Telfer

CB - Richard Dyrden 

CB - Tahar El Khalej

LB - Simon Charlton

RM - Stuart Ripley

CM - Neil Maddison 

CM - Rory Delap

LM - Neil McCann

ST - Brett Ormerod 

ST - Mark Hughes (for us)

McCant was too shit to be described as average.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

I agree, as you pointed out on another thread. I think, if we’re using this metric to mean literally average and not as a derogatory byword for substandard, I’d pick a team something like.

Stekelenberg

Tessem - Adams

very average. Well done.

9 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Stekelenberg

Tessem - Adams

Never describe Romeu as average

• Like 8

I'll do one for "average" in it's actual meaning and not "average" the way it's constantly thrown around these days meaning terrible. Here's my "not great, not shocking" Saints XI from my time of supporting the club (since 2005)

Paul Smith

Frazer Richardson
Maya Yoshida
Florran Gardos (wasn't as bad as everyone makes out)
Joseph Mills

Richard Chaplow*
Jordy Clasie

Nathan Dyer
Kamil Kosowski

Dexter Blackstock
Peter Madsen*

*Richard Chaplow's inclusion only takes into account his first spell with the club, I fully acknowledge that he was superb in his second spell and a huge part of what we achieved in his time here. If not allowed then replace with David Prutton

* As for Peter Madsen, not sure if we can include loanees (if not then another reason why 2006 Chaplow would be kicked) then replace with Adam Armstrong.

13 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Stekelenberg

Tessem - Adams

Pardon?!

3 hours ago, whelk said:

Never describe Romeu as average

31 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Pardon?!

I liked him, just like Claus, Tessem and many other average players we’ve had, but let’s not kid ourselves. He was never on the radar for a big club and wasn’t as good as Morgan or Wanyama. He was a popular, Saints level player; nothing more, nothing less.

Having said that, I’ve just remembered Hojbjerg. He can go there instead.

I'm translating 'average' into players I really liked personally, who did a good job for saints but were not particularly valued by anyone more generally:

GK - Peter Wells

RB - Frazer Richardson 

LB - David Peach

CB - Kevin Moore

CB - Claus Lundekwam

DM - Tommy Widdrington

CM - Matt Oakley

RM - Paul Gilchrist

LM - Neil Heaney

CF - Lee Barnard

CF - Brett Ormerod

50 minutes ago, The Left Back said:

I'm translating 'average' into players I really liked personally, who did a good job for saints but were not particularly valued by anyone more generally:

GK - Peter Wells

RB - Frazer Richardson 

LB - David Peach

CB - Kevin Moore

CB - Claus Lundekwam

DM - Tommy Widdrington

CM - Matt Oakley

RM - Paul Gilchrist

LM - Neil Heaney

CF - Lee Barnard

CF - Brett Ormerod

Appreciate the criteria you’ve set but I think David Peach was certainly’above Average’.

Although in the 2nd Division he was an outstanding LB for us,and goalscorer (penalties especially of course).

I always felt he was the best LB in the country for a couple of years (no bias in my teenage years of course). It was unfortunate really that his peak years were in Div 2.

Doubt that we’d be able to keep a player of his standout quality in The second tier now (and probably not EPL for that matter).

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Badger said:

Appreciate the criteria you’ve set but I think David Peach was certainly’above Average’.

Although in the 2nd Division he was an outstanding LB for us,and goalscorer (penalties especially of course).

I always felt he was the best LB in the country for a couple of years (no bias in my teenage years of course). It was unfortunate really that his peak years were in Div 2.

Doubt that we’d be able to keep a player of his standout quality in The second tier now (and probably not EPL for that matter).

Agreed, Peach was the first left back I followed and loved him..  I was happy with the line up apart from left back.  As I've posted before, and hence my user name, we've been blessed with left backs since I have started watching us play and I struggled to find an 'average' one.  Most on my mind are too good, some not good enough, for the average tag.  Perhaps Derek Statham?  But he was a legend at WBA so not sure he qualifies on my criteria.  Actually, just seen Simon Charlton on someone's list.  He'll do.

On 06/09/2022 at 16:55, Colinjb said:

Jermaine Wright.

The ultimate 5.5-6/10 player. Not top flight with us, but he was for Ipswich. 

This is where my mind instantly went as well. Would also add Higginbotham, Baird, Yoshida, McCann, Skacel (wasn't a bad player, but never hit the hype). Not sure whether to include Rasiak. Was very good championship, but a bang average footballer.

On 07/09/2022 at 10:21, Bad Wolf said:

I'll do one for "average" in it's actual meaning and not "average" the way it's constantly thrown around these days meaning terrible. Here's my "not great, not shocking" Saints XI from my time of supporting the club (since 2005)

Paul Smith

Frazer Richardson
Maya Yoshida
Florran Gardos (wasn't as bad as everyone makes out)
Joseph Mills

Richard Chaplow*
Jordy Clasie

Nathan Dyer
Kamil Kosowski

Dexter Blackstock
Peter Madsen*

*Richard Chaplow's inclusion only takes into account his first spell with the club, I fully acknowledge that he was superb in his second spell and a huge part of what we achieved in his time here. If not allowed then replace with David Prutton

* As for Peter Madsen, not sure if we can include loanees (if not then another reason why 2006 Chaplow would be kicked) then replace with Adam Armstrong.

This is sort of what I had in mind! I've been a fan since 02, so have a few more prem years, so this team seems a little weak to me in places. I think mind would be:

Alan Blayney

Richardson Yoshida Higginbotham Fox

Telfer Cork Quashie Elyonoussi

Ormerod Rasiak

I think that team probably gets relegated, but has some

Edited by Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan