The World Cup Thread

FarehamSaintJames

6 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

i noticed a new stat being displayed during the world cup........ 'Receptions'......

Is that the silly little table that pops up on the left hand side? Something about receiving the ball from defence?

What has gone wrong with the beautiful game? They are turning into some obscene American sport.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Is that the silly little table that pops up on the left hand side? Something about receiving the ball from defence?

What has gone wrong with the beautiful game? They are turning into some obscene American sport.

I switched off the tele when they showed the spin rate of the ball for one of the dutch goals. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, niceandfriendly said:

The fact the panels are quota driven isn't the problem, it's that they fill them with utter numpties who have no idea what they're talking about. Don't care if they're black, have a vagina, are wearing a turban, or all three, I just want some competent analysis.

I vote the last one.

• Like 1

I don't mind interesting stuff like spin rate because at least that speaks to the physics and aerodynamics determining the flight and curvature of the ball's path and hence the skill of the players. 

The wholesale appropriation of NFL jargon and terminology into football under the fig leaf of the ever-mushrooming stats generated in the game....well that I really do object to. 

Anyway, tonight, let's hope the England Lions’ offense is on point at the turnover and thus scores. 

Edited by adrian lord
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Don’t get me started on all this stat speak.

Absolute load of fucking bollocks.

Martin Keown is a complete fucknut as well.

As for the ‘quota’ comment regarding the tv panels,  couldn’t agree more.  I’m totally fed up with having to listen to clueless women offering an opinion on the game.  They talk complete shite, I would get more insightful analysis from my dog.

Modern life is absolutely fucking shit.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Rumour that Foden and Rashford have been dropped.

Can’t wait for Mickey Mount to play.

I'd play Saka over Rashford personally. Rashford was crap first half against Wales, and in reality only had a cracking 25 mins in the 2nd half. I'd play Foden on the left though, and would be disappointed if Sterling played ahead of him. I wouldn't play Foden in the midfield 3, and get the case for Mount or even Henderson ahead of him. 

1 hour ago, adrian lord said:

I don't mind interesting stuff like spin rate because at least that speaks to the physics and aerodynamics determining the flight and curvature of the ball's path and hence the skill of the players. 

The wholesale appropriation of NFL jargon and terminology into football under the fig leaf of the ever-mushrooming stats generated in the game....well that I really do object to. 

Anyway, tonight, let's hope the England Lions’ offense is on point at the turnover and thus scores. 

what’s worse, just seen the pompey manager was interviewed during the game on sky today. 

Is this the future? 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Shout out to Jan Bednarek who eight months ago refused to play for his club in order not to be injured for a qualifier for a World Cup which he went on to not play in .

😂

And just to add to this…

Bednarek comes on for a cameo. 5Live commentary say he likely made the Villa move with game time in mind for the World Cup and had since made two appearances this season.

Comes on for a cameo in the last few minutes and still has time to concede a goal 🤣🤣

You can take the man out of Southampton… 👀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, egg said:

I'd play Saka over Rashford personally. Rashford was crap first half against Wales, and in reality only had a cracking 25 mins in the 2nd half. I'd play Foden on the left though, and would be disappointed if Sterling played ahead of him. I wouldn't play Foden in the midfield 3, and get the case for Mount or even Henderson ahead of him. 

Rio And Linekar astonished Rashford has been left out, he’s in the form of his life apparently. He played well for 20 minutes and was crap in the first half like you say

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Rio And Linekar astonished Rashford has been left out, he’s in the form of his life apparently. He played well for 20 minutes and was crap in the first half like you say

Saka did more against Iran than did against Wales imo, and is the better player for me. 

case for 

18 minutes ago, niceandfriendly said:

Rio to Poch “Is Mbappe someone who works on his shooting?”

fucking hell 😂

🥳

You think that is bad, I have Carlton Cole on the radio earlier - my christ.

Presenter - "Carlton, this has been a world cup of shocks.. What are your thoughts on Japan...?"

Carlton LOL - "Yeah definitely....Japan, err, they have shocked me to be fair, and have got further than I thought"

Cheers for the insight Carlton!!!

• Haha 1