The World Cup Thread

FarehamSaintJames

6 hours ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

Didn't most neutrals want Argentina to win as well?

Why was the French president invited to the presentation ceremony if they wanted the opposition to win so badly?

Surely the game itself and Messi finally lifting the trophy was the best thing about the final? 

You must have watched on ITV! On the BBC, they mentioned the Argentinian president didn't want to go in case he was a bad luck omen  

31 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Sums up our media for this tournament..

image.thumb.png.799a80582f476d1ee956bc41404f006c.png

I dont see a problem with it, culture is a big part of the WC otherwise they'd keep it in the same country every time. Personally thought Messi pulled it off quite well, would have been hilarious to see Kane have to wear it and imagine the outrage if that had happened. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Behind Enemy Lines said:

You must have watched on ITV! On the BBC, they mentioned the Argentinian president didn't want to go in case he was a bad luck omen  

Yes, I did see that.  Must be very reassuring to the Argentinian people that their leader relies on luck for positive outcomes!

20 hours ago, JRM said:

Could be the start of a new craze at football 

Well they need to make up their minds, i was told i'm not allowed to get my winkie out at football anymore in no uncertain terms, so if it's OK for women to expose themselves I demand the right to be treated equally, furthermore I insist they lift the "order"

5 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Well they need to make up their minds, i was told i'm not allowed to get my winkie out at football anymore in no uncertain terms, so if it's OK for women to expose themselves I demand the right to be treated equally, furthermore I insist they lift the "order"

old news...Geordies are already ahead of you lol

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Haha 1

Obviously the best World Cup final I've seen, because they are usually shite. France were terrible for 75 minutes but scraped a couple of goals. I thought Martinez could have saved the second.

Definitely the best extra time I've seen!

I don't think the quality of football has been great. Past winners over the last couple of decades have generally been much better than any of the sides in this tournament, but there were certainly plenty of entertaining matches. 

16 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

Living across the pond I watched it on American TV Fox, with a couple of Yanks commentating. I thought they were surprisingly good, making a lot of good observations and avoiding inane nonsense. One of them remarked that the French midfield was being over run and the manager should bring on a sub before half time which duly happened shortly afterwards.

One of the best things about the US coverage has been that the commentators don't feel the need to fill every second with chat. If nothing much is happening, they just let you watch that bit in silence.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

Didn't most neutrals want Argentina to win as well? Maybe they did, but they had no direct influence over the tournament.

Why was the French president invited to the presentation ceremony if they wanted the opposition to win so badly? Because France were in the final…just a thought.

Surely the game itself and Messi finally lifting the trophy was the best thing about the final? I don’t understand the joy others seem to get from seeing a player not associated with their club or country do well or lift a trophy to be honest. Sure I recognise the achievement but other than that I’m left cold.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

And with that, the World Cup thread comes to a close 👏🏻

Same again in four years.
(Unless Infantino wants to change it up and do it every other month alongside the Super League).

Not far off https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/dec/20/fifa-float-idea-of-mens-world-cup-finals-every-three-years

9 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Maybe think before you speak. 🤣

What.... and spoil the fun for the rest of us? 'Alex' posting before thinking is one of life's few remaining joys. Please never let it stop. ;) 

Edited by trousers
  • Haha 1

If the once every 2 year idea didn't get very far, who knows about one every three. But it's not about sport, player safety or common sense. It's just about how much money everyone can share around. So with enough support from some FIFA regions, and possibly bailing out super League clubs through an also expanded club cup, it could end up being anything. Looking forward to a world cup every 4 years plus during specified planetary alignments.

• 9 months later...
2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I saw that, it's only because of $$$$. Fifa rake in more money from all these rich countries and governments. 

Then they've put Saudi in pole position to host the 2034 WC. Feels pretty dead.

None of the countries are rich - Paraguay, Uruguay, Morocco and Argentina are far from it. That said, 6 host countries from 3 continents is just weird. 

Can see the format for WC in 2030 causing so much controversy.  From what I can tell just three games are going to be held in South America - that's going to be very harsh on non-South American fans who'll have to travel over there and back again.  Seems ridiculous when everyone is conscious of climate change and the environment. 

Not a fan of the 48 team format either.