The World Cup Thread

FarehamSaintJames

Watching the Spurs highlights over the last few weeks, also though a brilliant finisher, Kane just does not love any more, yet plays almost every minute of every game

Sterling’s form has complete dropped off the cliff now he can’t score 2 yard tap ins every week, be interesting if Southgate continues with his favourites (mount, Phillips etc)

39 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

Right decision on JWP, he’s offered next to nothing this season and Rice is clearly ahead of him.

Philips and Henderson have? JWP has been playing consistent all season, and his defensive work, interceptions, and general possession play have been solid. Saints have been poor from a possession and attacking/goal scoring/set piece perspective due to our more defensive setup - and that is behind his perceived worse form (i.e. minimal final 3rd contributions).... but that really is due to tactical setup and lack of quality in front of him. Fan's may not appreciate that, but you'd hope a manager can appreciate it enough to select him over Henderson and Philips - neither of which have seen much / any game time.

He remains a player who could happily play every minute of that tournament if required, offers a quality set piece threat, and would do a respectable all round role in midfield. He is also a far better player than Philips anyway.

Also tbf, rice has been very poor all season as well.

Regardless, its bad news for saints, he's a key player for us and he will now have very little to play for and is unlikely to be in a good headspace for the rest of the season. Maybe he can get his head in the right space, but it equally sets a bad precedent - stay at saints and miss out on international football no matter how well you play (be it the euros or the world cups).

Edited by Saint86

Sad for JWP but almost justifiable. Even with Saints-tinted spectacles he wouldn't make my first XI. 

Ultimately Southgate is largely a defensive-minded manager, and if we are say 2-0 up who would you prefer to come on to see the game out - Kalvin, Hendo or JWP? Majority of people would say the first two options. 

I'm not sure set pieces are enough to get you into this team when we have Trippier, Trent, Mount and possibly Maddison should he get called up. 

Let's not forget our current form won't have helped his chances either, I wonder had he been injured for all of this season would he have been a shoe-in as then one could blame our woes on his absence, but it just hasn't happened for him.

Edited by nta786

he's better than Philips for sure, Mount and Rice are definite  of course but Henderson, really? Gallagher? I know that JWP hasn't had a great season but it's because how shit we are and losing Rom and aside from Rice and Mount, he's the next best option. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nta786 said:

Sad for JWP but almost justifiable. Even with Saints-tinted spectacles he wouldn't make my first XI. 

Ultimately Southgate is largely a defensive-minded manager, and if we are say 2-0 up who would you prefer to come on to see the game out - Kalvin, Hendo or JWP? Majority of people would say the first two options. 

I'm not sure set pieces are enough to get you into this team when we have Trippier, Trent, Mount and possibly Maddison should he get called up. 

Let's not forget our current form won't have helped his chances either, I wonder had he been injured for all of this season would he have been a shoe-in as then one could blame our woes on his absence, but it just hasn't happened for him.

he doesn't have to make the first XI mate. 

3 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

Really?

Yes, he's west ham's best player and key to them. We're having a bad season but they're 1 point ahead of us. People say JWPs form is poor compared to previous seasons but then don't judge england's other central mids.

Philips has barely played and is now out injured. Rice is having a poor season by his form. Henderson has managed 640minutes all season. The only central midfielder on form is Bellingham. He should be default first pick - but its southgate so he'll probably pick Henderson/philips and rice to start. 

3 minutes ago, Noodles34 said:

he's better than Philips for sure, Mount and Rice are definite  of course but Henderson, really? Gallagher? I know that JWP hasn't had a great season but it's because how shit we are and losing Rom and aside from Rice and Mount, he's the next best option. 

Don't get the hype surrounding Phillips to be honest. Factor in that he has hardly played for City all season, just seems a waste of space in taking him. Not saying that JWP deserves to be in  but Southgate clearly has his favourites. 

• Like 1

Frankly incredible that he's picked connor gallagher and philips ahead of JWP. Philips has been injured and has hardly kicked a ball all season, how is he going to get match fit in a week.... I mean, he's played 1minute according to transfer market... on the 8th fucking july.

Feel for him.

But ultimately England under Southgate are shit and have zero chance of winning. First half decent team we face we'll resort to parking the bus, giving them the ball, and playing 8-2 and hoofing it to kane and one headless chicken runner. Then at 70min when we're losing he'll throw on some attacking mids and play possession football. Southgate should never have had his contract extended after Croatia, and the euro's final should have resulted in the sack. Should certainly have gone after the nations league fiasco. FA's stated ambition was to win WC2022 - Everyone knows that couldn't be further from reality under the most tactically clueless england manager there has ever been.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

Missing out on the Euro 2020 squad was harsher on JWP for me when he was a lot more involved in the squad in the run up. It’s probably not in his nature but if Southgate comes calling again for some pointless friendly I hope Prowsr tells him to shove it 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Philips and Henderson have? JWP has been playing consistent all season, and his defensive work, interceptions, and general possession play have been solid. Saints have been poor from a possession and attacking/goal scoring/set piece perspective due to our more defensive setup - and that is behind his perceived worse form (i.e. minimal final 3rd contributions).... but that really is due to tactical setup and lack of quality in front of him. Fan's may not appreciate that, but you'd hope a manager can appreciate it enough to select him over Henderson and Philips - neither of which have seen much / any game time.

He remains a player who could happily play every minute of that tournament if required, offers a quality set piece threat, and would do a respectable all round role in midfield. He is also a far better player than Philips anyway.

Also tbf, rice has been very poor all season as well.

Regardless, its bad news for saints, he's a key player for us and he will now have very little to play for and is unlikely to be in a good headspace for the rest of the season. Maybe he can get his head in the right space, but it equally sets a bad precedent - stay at saints and miss out on international football no matter how well you play (be it the euros or the world cups).

Completely agree, hopefully Southgate gets the sack in a few weeks 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Not sure how much he will offer after being injured for most of the season. 

Maybe, maybe not. JWP has been absolutely shite though this season and shouldn’t be anywhere near the squad. 

Regardless of who the players included were, I don’t see us going past the knockout stages this time. 

We’ve been so poor since the Euro final, inconsistent squads, there isn’t a real identity to the way England play.

As for JWP, yes I don’t think he’d done enough to go, but my word what have Gallagher, Phillips or Henderson done to warrant going?

3 minutes ago, sydney_saint said:

Your contempt for JWP is utterly bizarre. 

Not really, it’s the truth. He’s been utterly crap this season. 

He’s also vastly, vastly overrated. One of our better players (not too difficult), but take away his free kicks and he’s extremely limited. 

Someone compared him to Harry winks, and they’re absolutely right. 

Lavia, at 18 or whatever he is, has come in and in a handful of games shown what a top class CM looks like. JWP isn’t one. 

• Like 3

Just watching the Southgate press conference, he states one of the reasons he picked Maddison is that he likes the fact he always looks up for a forward pass, and not enough players do it in the modern game. Could be a subliminal nod in the direction of JWP who has often been criticised on here for that.

3 minutes ago, Dman said:

Not really, it’s the truth. He’s been utterly crap this season. 

He’s also vastly, vastly overrated. One of our better players (not too difficult), but take away his free kicks and he’s extremely limited. 

Someone compared him to Harry winks, and they’re absolutely right. 

Lavia, at 18 or whatever he is, has come in and in a handful of games shown what a top class CM looks like. JWP isn’t one. 

No it's not the truth. It's an opinion, and a bizarre contempt for him. 

34 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

Why? He’s been terrible this season and he’s only got himself to blame. 

He’s lucky to still be captain, a World Cup was never going to happen based on form. 

Because form aside, he is a committed, hard working professional who conducts himself well at all times and has narrowly missed out on making an England squad at a major tournament for the 2nd time in 3 years.  For a player who has spent his entire career at Southampton thus far, it would have been the high point of his career.

Unfortunately for him, his form has deserted him at the worst possible time.  It happens and I sympathise.

He's not been in the greatest form for sure, but at least he's played regular football. And he's as close to a guaranteed penalty-taker as you can get. Philips? Gallagher? Nah... Rice and Bellingham start, but after that the cupboard is pretty empty. I'm really disappointed for him. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Dman said:

The Phillips hate continues, despite arguably being England’s best player at the euros. 

Im glad he’s in. Much better player and offers much more than JWP. 

He's played one minute more than you and I have in the Premier League this season, so he shouldn't be too tired.

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I;d have had Toney or Abraham ahead of Rashford.I just dont rate Rashford at all, if he didnt play for Man United and do a lot of good work for charity he wouldn't be anywhere near the squad. 

you forgot the word "mate" after charity....mate 😂

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Surprised Abraham and especially Tomori not in the squad, thought they were doing fine in Serie A.

Abraham has gone ice cold in front of goal this season. Think he's only scored twice. A real slump.

Tomori seems to have basically been judged on Milan's two CL games against Chelsea, where he had a pretty mediocre game at Stamford Bridge, and then got (harshly) sent off after 20 minutes in the home game.