The World Cup Thread

FarehamSaintJames

4 hours ago, qwertyell said:

Watched the first two episodes of the C4 Italia 90 documentary and they've both been predominantly about hooliganism in the 1980s, framed sympathetically with various old hooligan talking heads reminiscing wistfully about all the faces they used to stove in on a weekend during the glory days.

The other 2% of the episodes was old footage from Kevin Allen's Italia 90 documentary which I saw when it originally aired.

Pretty shoddy stuff so far. Hope the Sky one is a bit better.

They don’t stove heads in though.  They just shout at each other for a bit.

Fucking hated hooligans back in the day, and I hate the romanticism about them now.  

• Like 5

9 hours ago, qwertyell said:

Watched the first two episodes of the C4 Italia 90 documentary and they've both been predominantly about hooliganism in the 1980s, framed sympathetically with various old hooligan talking heads reminiscing wistfully about all the faces they used to stove in on a weekend during the glory days.

The other 2% of the episodes was old footage from Kevin Allen's Italia 90 documentary which I saw when it originally aired.

Pretty shoddy stuff so far. Hope the Sky one is a bit better.

Sounds great thanks for the recommendation. 

2 minutes ago, JRM said:

Once again England fans giving football a bad name, fairly sure a few of these are on banning orders and have managed to make it out of the country slipping through airport checks

I’ve never been so embarrassed to be and England fan 

• Haha 1

Italia’ 90 has this myth around it, when in reality it was a pretty pony tournament. Most of the group games were shite & the final was horrendous. I wonder if other nations look back with nostalgia at it, it’s certainly nowhere near the top of my list. It didn’t change football, it would have happened anyway.  

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Italia’ 90 has this myth around it, when in reality it was a pretty pony tournament. Most of the group games were shite & the final was horrendous. I wonder if other nations look back with nostalgia at it, it’s certainly nowhere near the top of my list. It didn’t change football, it would have happened anyway.  

The quality of football has little to do with the nostalgia in my opinion, its about the grounds, culture, music , teams like Cameroon with players you'd never heard of doing well , England getting to the semis helped from our perspective but still a great tournament with some proper legends / characters involved, just hearing Nessum dorma etc brings it back 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, redkeith said:

Looks like they are paying fake fans to celebrate the world cup in Qatar.

Looks like there could be a lot of Nepalese builders, earning a bit of extra cash and seeing a lot of games.  

I’m sure stuff like that does happen but feel if it was on a large scale it would’ve come out massively in terms of news coverage.

4 hours ago, JRM said:

The quality of football has little to do with the nostalgia in my opinion, its about the grounds, culture, music , teams like Cameroon with players you'd never heard of doing well , England getting to the semis helped from our perspective but still a great tournament with some proper legends / characters involved,

Nostalgia ain’t what it used to be.

Nostalgia depends entirely on your age, for the over 60’s I doubt anything will beat Mexico ‘70. For others it will be ‘78 or ‘86, if your French it will probably be ‘98 and of course older Englishmen will say ‘66. For English & Irish people of a certain age, ‘90 was a special tournament, but I’d be surprised if many other countries think so (apart from the hosts). 

Personally ‘70, ‘82 & ‘98 are my favourites, but there’s clearly no right or wrong answer. Let’s hope in 30 years there’s blokes out there looking back fondly on Qatar ‘22……

6 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

So predictable this miserable twat would pipe up to preach to us what an awful tournament it was……again. Hey but didn’t think he would not mention the ‘noddy’ open top bus. He prefers real winners like Piers Morgan.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I’m sure stuff like that does happen but feel if it was on a large scale it would’ve come out massively in terms of news coverage.

Guardian Podcast said theyve given 50 fans from each country match tickets, hotels, spending money etc, so long as they praise Qatar on social media and look like they're having a good time on camera. One Aussie fan decided against it after initially agreeing when people found out and he started getting pelters. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gsweet87 said:

Guardian Podcast said theyve given 50 fans from each country match tickets, hotels, spending money etc, so long as they praise Qatar on social media and look like they're having a good time on camera. One Aussie fan decided against it after initially agreeing when people found out and he started getting pelters. 

I think Qatar is a bloody marvelous country. Glorious weather. Tasty food. Lots of lovely sand. Great oil. Very friendly......and uhhh......super glorious weather. Really nice yummy food and their brilliant envelopes are full of lovely cash.........and the law and order there, is to die for!   I won't hear a single word said against Qatar. Bloody great place.

I await my free ticket and all expenses. Many thanks.    

• Haha 2

On 15/11/2022 at 21:36, JRM said:

Once again England fans giving football a bad name, fairly sure a few of these are on banning orders and have managed to make it out of the country slipping through airport checks

So just to make it feel realistic, England play Germany or Argentina in the QF. 

Will they get one group of Indian recruits to stand in an 'imaginery beer festival' dressed in lederhosen (or Argie equivalent) to be attacked by another group of Indians singing about RAF bombers or the Falklands?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, farawaysaint said:

So rumours swirling Qatar have attempted to bribe 8 Ecuadorean players to lose the opening match 😂

Absolutely love Qatar proper jokers they don't give a fuck do they, good money for Agustin Delgardo and his pals 

Qatar pressuring FIFA for World Cup venue beer ban - report.    Source: 1News

Just days out from kick-off in the 2022 World Cup, it's being reported hosts Qatar are pressuring FIFA to ban alcohol sales at tournament venues.

Budweiser, one of FIFA's main sponsors, has the rights to sell beer at the eight grounds being used, meaning football's governing body could breach its

valuable contract with AB InBev, the beer brand's owner.

According the The Times, the hosts are putting pressure on FIFA to pull beer sales from the venues.

FIFA already bowed to pressure and moved the stands where beer was being sold at the grounds to less visible locations.

Beer is available - at over $22 for a 500ml can - at fan parks.

Qatar is a dry country, with alcohol only normally available at certain hotels.

An announcement on the sales policy is expected tomorrow.

4 hours ago, Saint in Paradise said:

Beer is available - at over $22 for a 500ml can

Yeah.......nah. Extortionate and shameful. Think when we stay at the Radisson there the beers were about $14 AUD. Which is probably around $10 USD, which again is expensive but not much more than buying a beer at a hotel in Aus.

Edited by skintsaint

12 hours ago, Turkish said:

Which one wasn’t allowed to go without taking his missus? 

6C7EB08A-9637-4DFB-B6C5-BD32F5C04976.jpeg

Absolutely no way those people are on there way to Qatar, despite the caption they will be watching it in a boxpark chucking beer around 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Stadium beer ban confirmed. This really is a great World Cup for the fans!

I actually think real fans attending are a bit of an inconvenience for the Qataris, far to unpredictable and they are not used to that, would much rather fill the ground with fake fan migrant workers there with specific instructions on when to wave flags and cheer for the tele cameras 

1 hour ago, RedArmy said:

I’ve only just realised that league 1 and league 2 carry on during the World Cup. 

What a sham of a tournament. 

Quite a few "Saints regulars" I know are going to take in a few non-league games over the next 6 weeks, hopefully some bumper crowds for them, plenty in the area, Sholing , Eastleigh,  Totton all playing some good stuff this season 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Like FIFA didnt know until just this minute ? Seriously? I mean, look where you are holding this thing ffs!!

Seems like Budweiser didn't know, as official beer supplier they seem surprised.

But yeah, I for one am shocked that this didn't get throughly analysed during the completely open and objective host selection process.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

All the furore about this World Cup is a load of bollocks really. If the respective countries really gave a damn about the corrupt bid process, the laws of Qatar, dead migrants or the horrible fan environment they could have just boycotted the tournament and set up a breakaway international tournament not under the jurisdiction of Fifa. They would have soon backed down once the sponsors followed suit and their whole corrupt house of cards still would have come tumbling down.

No amount of virtue signalling gay named planes or rainbow armbands is going to counter the hypocrisy of the competing teams even showing up in the country to play in the first place.

• Like 2

On 15/11/2022 at 11:04, whelk said:

Yes a complete twat. Last night’s programme at least highlighted the shit England fans got. We were in Rose and Crown that night and proud of Battle of Rimini. Italians stupid to try and stir up a pub rammed full of English lads. The police beyond laughable just rounding up anyone later to show they did something when mostly they did fck all when kicking off.

I was in Italy (although not in Rimini) and know all about that as I was helping out with the FSA. I even agree with Turkish for once. An insufferable little pr&ck. Moynihan I mean.. 🙂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JRM said:

Quite a few "Saints regulars" I know are going to take in a few non-league games over the next 6 weeks, hopefully some bumper crowds for them, plenty in the area, Sholing , Eastleigh,  Totton all playing some good stuff this season 

Hopefully none of this part time non-league lot get in my way when I'm in the queue for the tea bar at Sholing, although their presence might bump up the 50/50 half time payout.

Mind you, I rarely hear the winning number because the tannoy is so crap. I reckon it's a big swizz so the club keep all the money.

2 hours ago, JRM said:

Absolutely no way those people are on there way to Qatar, despite the caption they will be watching it in a boxpark chucking beer around 

Agreed, looks like a staged photo to me. If it isn't a few of their mums are going to be setting up "bring my boy home" GoFundMe pages.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, aintforever said:

What a bunch of wankers. Why wait until the last minute?

To be fair, anyone who goes to that shit hole and buys into this thing deserves to have a rubbish time.

I bet they didn't wait until the last minute.

My guess is that they had zero intention to serve beer.  I'll also bet they didn't even put beer pumps into the stadiums - that would have been a big giveaway for anyone having a look!

2 hours ago, bpsaint said:

All the furore about this World Cup is a load of bollocks really. If the respective countries really gave a damn about the corrupt bid process, the laws of Qatar, dead migrants or the horrible fan environment they could have just boycotted the tournament and set up a breakaway international tournament not under the jurisdiction of Fifa. They would have soon backed down once the sponsors followed suit and their whole corrupt house of cards still would have come tumbling down.

No amount of virtue signalling gay named planes or rainbow armbands is going to counter the hypocrisy of the competing teams even showing up in the country to play in the first place.

I think that entire scenario is not quite as simple as you're making it out to be. 

22 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I think that entire scenario is not quite as simple as you're making it out to be. 

It’s could be if enough teams went along with it. It would be no different to the attempted Super League breakaway plans except fans would have gone along with it rather than opposed it. What exactly could FIFA have done if the majority of countries turned around and said they refuse to compete.