The World Cup Thread

FarehamSaintJames

23 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Of course the commentators were waxing lyrical all evening about the sublime skills of Lionel Messi but as far as I could see, he was only trotting about slowly a few metres at a time mostly playing very safe 3' passes to nearby colleagues and hardly ever moving more than 10 yards from a fixed position about 25 yards out right of centre.  Oh! and that penalty miss. 

Why can't these people bow out gracefully when they are at the top rather than hang on and on and on when clearly their best days have become distant memories. There are none so blind as those that do not want to see.

Not sure what game you were watching but aside from the penalty miss Messi was the best player on the pitch, even at 35. They highlighted some of his sublime passing and runs after the game, certainly wasn't just safe 3 yard passes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Of course the commentators were waxing lyrical all evening about the sublime skills of Lionel Messi but as far as I could see, he was only trotting about slowly a few metres at a time mostly playing very safe 3' passes to nearby colleagues and hardly ever moving more than 10 yards from a fixed position about 25 yards out right of centre.  Oh! and that penalty miss. 

Why can't these people bow out gracefully when they are at the top rather than hang on and on and on when clearly their best days have become distant memories. There are none so blind as those that do not want to see.

You could say that about Bale but not Messi yet . Yes he has slowed down a bit but it was shown on the review all the dead weight passes he is still making with the WC beach ball that most players are over hitting plus his odd solo run etc . Not as young as he was but still a totem/asset to Argentina at his last WC (probably)

2 minutes ago, trousers said:

Sending the ref over to the pitch side screen to check if it was offside or not... Wtf is that all about?! #crobel

Did any Croatian player even touch the ball? It looked to me as if the first touch after the free kick was off a Belgian head.

2 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Canada getting badly outclassed by Morocco.

A real learning experience for this team. Many Canadians got a bit carried away after the performances in qualifying.

But when you only have 1 or 2 from the top leagues you'll always struggle.

Been good to watch. Some of the lesser teams stink the place out with negative approach. Ultimately will get them fck all of course 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Germans will come 2nd in their group after beating Costa Rica, face Morocco in the next round and then Portugal in the quarters now and get to the semi-finals now won't they... 

Morocco could easily beat Germany but you just know it won’t happen

6 minutes ago, niceandfriendly said:

Has there been a World Cup with consistently worse atmospheres than this one? 

I’m afraid you’re going to have to get used to it. The gentrification of domestic football is spreading to international tournaments. The Nods have always been there, but they’re on the rise…

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, niceandfriendly said:

Yes that was another shocker. Think I’d rather have the vuvuzelas than this silence. 

Sorry, can’t agree, couldn’t even bring myself to watch it with that cacophony, absolutely ruined it. I also wonder if the local tv production makes the best of any atmosphere, we sure do, when I was at Anfield a few weeks back you could have had a chat from one stand to another, when I watched motd it sounded like a cracking atmosphere.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Sorry, can’t agree, couldn’t even bring myself to watch it with that cacophony, absolutely ruined it. I also wonder if the local tv production makes the best of any atmosphere, we sure do, when I was at Anfield a few weeks back you could have had a chat from one stand to another, when I watched motd it sounded like a cracking atmosphere.

No you’re right the vuvuzelas were infuriating, I was being flippant as these Qatar atmospheres are painful to experience. Maybe I’m just going off football in general thanks for VAR, appalling on-pitch refereeing, simulation, contact being outlawed, dreadful pundits and commentators etc, but I’ve barely enjoyed this World Cup so far. Feels soulless and just boring. I’m not even looking forward to watching Saints again although I haven’t looked forward to watching Saints for bloody ages. I’m sure plenty of people would happily take the above nonsense though if I meant I give up watching footy and stop posting on here. 

• Like 2