The World Cup Thread

FarehamSaintJames

2 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

I think he’s prob just stating the obvious, with all the tech, it shouldn’t have happened. Just being impartial I guess

The prick was talking about Spain being on a different planet to England at HT

Edited by whelk

3 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

I think he’s prob just stating the obvious, with all the tech, it shouldn’t have happened. Just being impartial I guess

What shouldn’t have happened? To disallow the goal they needed clear evidence of the ball crossing the line and there wasn’t any, hence the goal was given and there’s nothing else to show.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

They're banging on about FIFA not releasing the pictures VAR used to make the decision, but there's only one angle from the shots they have showed that makes it appear to have gone out. All the other angles showed pretty clearly that not all of the ball had crossed the line.

5 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

What shouldn’t have happened? To disallow the goal they needed clear evidence of the ball crossing the line and there wasn’t any, hence the goal was given and there’s nothing else to show.

Surely depends on whether the Lino gave it as out. If the Lino gave it as out, then surely the clear evidence  needs to be that it wasn’t. 

1 minute ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Surely depends on whether the Lino gave it as out. If the Lino gave it as out, then surely the clear evidence  needs to be that it wasn’t. 

The Lino didn’t flag and in the absence of any conclusive evidence to the contrary the goal stands. I don’t know why Souness was bleating on about it. 

Why should it have to de definitive one way or the other? At some point there will be a few centimetres of uncertainty where nobody could say for sure whether it was in or out.

48 minutes ago, whelk said:

The prick was talking about Spain being on a different planet to England at HT

He’s losing it, has been for a while. Probs why he was dressed up more for a night on Safari than in the commentary box.

Edited by stknowle

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

WTF is with Souness angrily demanding pictures of something that didn’t happen?

Agree. Graeme, the people who had seen the pictures decided not all the ball has crossed the line. Get over it. It's not YOUR decision to take.

Edited by the saint in winchester
Graham or Graeme
  • Like 1

I know it's been mentioned earlier but just to endorse my congratulations to Maya Yoshida. He was absolutely immense at the heart of the Japan defence tonight. The cameras followed him at the end of the game so they obviously thought the same. If only we had him at Southampton........Oh! Good luck to him in the next round. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint Keef said:

I know it's been mentioned earlier but just to endorse my congratulations to Maya Yoshida. He was absolutely immense at the heart of the Japan defence tonight. The cameras followed him at the end of the game so they obviously thought the same. If only we had him at Southampton........Oh! Good luck to him in the next round. 

Like you I am happy that Japan and Yoshi are doing well in the WC, but there is a reason why he doesn’t play for us any more. He is a great guy but he really wasn’t that good a player in the EPL. 

On 30/11/2022 at 09:59, Lord Duckhunter said:

It’s nothing to do with The US and everything to do with FIFA trying to shoehorn more countries into the finals. 

Depends where you are. South Florida is football mad, Hispanics & Haitians loving the game. I’d imagine other areas with high immigrant areas will be as well.

Mexico are having it for a third time which is just as bad. The ridiculous thing is sharing it out between 3 countries imo. 

how does not having a draw make for more teams to shoehorn in ? still going to be a result whatever the outcome.

30 minutes ago, Roo1976 said:

how does not having a draw make for more teams to shoehorn in ? still going to be a result whatever the outcome.

I think the fact that the next World Cup is 48 nations is how FIFA is trying to shoehorn more teams in.

3 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

Like you I am happy that Japan and Yoshi are doing well in the WC, but there is a reason why he doesn’t play for us any more. He is a great guy but he really wasn’t that good a player in the EPL. 

3 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Amen. Bit sad people thinking he could do a job here right now. Good to see him doing well in the WC.

I agree with you guys. My comment was a bit tongue in cheek. He did struggle a bit in the premier league, but I always felt he gave everything when he did play and no doubting his loyalty and his dignity when he left. I hope we can agree he was still better than Wesley Hoedt......🤣 Good luck to Yoshi, he certainly deserved the plaudits last night.. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, whelk said:

Musiala looks decent. 19!

Another that got away

FF8BC8EB-3409-412F-833C-57916346BDBD.jpeg

Born in Germany to a Nigerian father and German mother, he was raised from the age of seven in England. Musiala represented both Germany and England at youth level, and eventually pledged his allegiance to the Germany national team for future games in February 2021.

Shame he chose Germany over England, but I can't blame him. Unlike Haaland, he definitely chose the country that's much more likely to win something (although not this year!)

32 minutes ago, Saint Keef said:

I agree with you guys. My comment was a bit tongue in cheek. He did struggle a bit in the premier league, but I always felt he gave everything when he did play and no doubting his loyalty and his dignity when he left. I hope we can agree he was still better than Wesley Hoedt......🤣 Good luck to Yoshi, he certainly deserved the plaudits last night.. 

Yes indeed. Not to mention that his attitude and 100% professionalism was the polar opposite of that wanker's.