The World Cup Thread

FarehamSaintJames

20 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

Ben White going home. I could hazard a guess why, but I could be wildly off the mark.

only thing I can be sure of is that if it is what I think it is, I bet it’s the British press’ who is at fault.

If it’s the same I think you’re thinking of, me and a few mates have had the same thoughts.

Like you say though, could be completely different though. 🤷🏻‍♂️

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

If it’s the same I think you’re thinking of, me and a few mates have had the same thoughts.

What do you think it is? I have no idea 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alehouseboys said:

I've been flicking between these games, atmosphere at both on a different level to games with European sides, even the Saudis make a racket.

If we end up playing the Argies we may struggle to know England fans are there. Fantastic numbers and noise.

The success of the football team is of such national importance the Argentine govt have even paid for some of the main Barras Bravas (Ultras) to fly over and support the team, they take it to another level. I was at Wembley in June for their game v Italy and Argentine support was superb , England don't even get close. 

1 hour ago, Crab Lungs said:

Ben White going home. I could hazard a guess why, but I could be wildly off the mark.

only thing I can be sure of is that if it is what I think it is, I bet it’s the British press’ who is at fault.

Those lines are too vague for me to read between...

5 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Nothing flukey about it any of it. Everyone played everyone and they were slightly better than Mexico, who wasted a lot of chances against the Saudis.

Last minute goal for Saudi, and missed chances by Argentina. Poland were  incredibly lucky to scrap through. 

6 minutes ago, egg said:

Last minute goal for Saudi, and missed chances by Argentina. Poland were  incredibly lucky to scrap through. 

The Saudi goal changed literally nothing and missing chances is part of football, Poland had a penalty saved against Mexico which would have made these fixtures pretty much irrelevant. Wolves beating this season Saints wasn’t a fluke, even though on another day we’d have won 3-0.

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Something frowned upon in that part of the world. Maybe.

BUT, could be the complete opposite, a bereavement or whatever.

Crab lungs comment about the press being to blame made me think it was this, they were about to do an exclusive about it whilst he was in a country where it’s banned. 

like I said though no idea. 

2 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

He got engaged to his missus earlier in the year so doubt it's what you lot are thinking. 

7 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Crab lungs comment about the press being to blame made me think it was this, they were about to do an exclusive about it whilst he was in a country where it’s banned. 

My thoughts too. Nothing wrong with it IF that was the case. Good on him 👏🏻

2 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

He got engaged to his missus earlier in the year so doubt it's what you lot are thinking. 

I wasn’t even aware he had a missus.

Just now, cloggy saint said:

If that's a penalty in the Argentina v Poland match then the game has completely gone. It doesn't help that Messi rolled around like a cross-stitching pastry chef. I hope the French fucking stuff them.

Argentina have to get past Australia yet. Been a good tournament for upsets so far. 

34 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Drugs, heterosexual relations?

Some of you have an intriguing imagination. Even if a British newspaper was planning to run a front page story about him attending cocaine-fuelled gay orgies, complete with photo evidence (and I can’t believe for a second there’s anything like that forthcoming) he wouldn’t have to flee the country to escape beheading. Being in possession of drugs and committing a homosexual act are severely punished. Simply being gay and having previously taken drugs in another country is not going to get you in trouble.

I can’t imagine it’s anything more exciting than a private, personal matter and no business of anyone other than those involved.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Doesn’t mean a thing. 

Indeed. We once had a player who had a woman live with him, but who was not the living with a lady sort. What the story is with White though none of us know, but it could be all manner of things. May have been better for all concerned though if the FA fudged it as an injury or illness to avoid the speculation. 

44 minutes ago, nta786 said:

This forum is the only place I have read so far insinuating that something sinister has happened with Ben White :D 

Not seen any other inklings on Twitter or media.

Really curious now…

Dude is a massive batty boy...

Batty for England’s green and pleasant land that is, he’s homesick is my guess. Unlike David Batty who was actually Batty, cos that was his name.

4 hours ago, egg said:

Mexico have only themselves to blame for their awful first two matches.

Regarding White going home, are England allowed to bring in a replacement?

31 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

Mexico have only themselves to blame for their awful first two matches.

Regarding White going home, are England allowed to bring in a replacement?

Nope. I think national picked their 26 man squads (which was bigger than normal) and that was to also account for any last minute injuries/setbacks after club matches finished so suddenly prior to the World Cup.

So the squad we have now is what it is. 😊

• Like 1

23 hours ago, East Kent Saint said:

The group games will be over 3 countries with the KO stage all in the USA , the penalty shootout idea is because of the 3 team groups which could lead to match "fixing" in the final matches . We all remember (probably) the Germany Austria staged draw with no attempts to score !

This has been researched.

Risk of Collusion: Will Groups of 3 Ruin the FIFA World Cup?

9 hours ago, nta786 said:

This forum is the only place I have read so far insinuating that something sinister has happened with Ben White :D 

Not seen any other inklings on Twitter or media.

Really curious now…

Well if one in ten are then that means at least two will be. 

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

Female officials in the Germany v Costa Rica game today. Hoping for an all female commentary team as well to see Lord D's reaction.

Remember the days when we used to be able to chant to female linesmen they should be washing up, before our freedom of speech was taken away. 

23 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I don’t think it should be in 3 countries, especially when 2 of them have held it 3 times  between them before (for whatever reason). One thing Blatter did that was good was taking it to Africa, Far East, Eastern Europe & The Arab world (not saying the countries were right or the reason, but the principle) , . A world game needs to go to Australia, India (if they’re capable) & the elephant in the room China. They need to decide whether they give it to the best host country regardless of whether they’ve had it before, or spread it round the globe. Personally, I’m in favour of the latter. 

Indeed and why not one in Antartica in six brand new stadia fully heated to 30 degrees Celsius at all times. Penguins have been lobbying for this for years. Could be held at the same time as COP36.

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Remember the days when we used to be able to chant to female linesmen they should be washing up, before our freedom of speech was taken away. 

I remember that happened at the Dell when that first female lino was about. 

1 hour ago, rallyboy said:

Poland missed a trick.

I'd have paid good money to watch Bednarek mark Messi, it could have been a very different game...

Of course the commentators were waxing lyrical all evening about the sublime skills of Lionel Messi but as far as I could see, he was only trotting about slowly a few metres at a time mostly playing very safe 3' passes to nearby colleagues and hardly ever moving more than 10 yards from a fixed position about 25 yards out right of centre.  Oh! and that penalty miss. 

Why can't these people bow out gracefully when they are at the top rather than hang on and on and on when clearly their best days have become distant memories. There are none so blind as those that do not want to see.

3 hours ago, The Cat said:

Female officials in the Germany v Costa Rica game today. Hoping for an all female commentary team as well to see Lord D's reaction.

If they’re there on merit, I’ve nothing against refs/Lino being chicks. If nothing against them commenting, although they’ve got horrible screeching voices, Pearce is just as annoying. It’s the bird analysts that shouldn’t be there. They’ve not played in a top flight mens game, not played in a mens International, and not played in a mens World Cup. Playing a substandard level in front of one man & his dog, doesn’t qualify you. Just as Bob Smith the dog & duck centre half couldn’t, these chicks have no idea.  

The first world cups I watched had amongst others, Malcolm Allison, Cloughie, Derek Dougan,  Joe Mercer, Ray Wilson, Johnny Haynes, Don Revie  & Bob Wilson. Serious football people who were there on merit, there because of the insight into the mens game, not because they didn’t have a cock. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1