The World Cup Thread

FarehamSaintJames

3 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Dull? Mauricio can never be dull. Beats having Shearer and Wright constantly spouting absolute tosh anytime.

Good chance we'll make the last 16 'though.

After Brexit who can blame Europeans for thinking we are a bunch of bone idle w*&^%$s, they got their cues from Johnson.

Ah yes , the same European countries that sat around twiddling their thumbs while Russia invaded Ukraine , while Johnson and UK were busy sending them weapons and training. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spark said:

Ah yes , the same European countries that sat around twiddling their thumbs while Russia invaded Ukraine , while Johnson and UK were busy sending them weapons and training. 

Taking things off topic, but this is just total bs. 5 days after the invasion started, every country in NATO had already committed to military assistance for Ukraine. Within 2 weeks of the invasion the non-NATO countries Sweden and Finland had also chipped in.

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Spark said:

Get your facts straight before you make things up

I think the biggest problem with getting traction in USA is the time of year. This is Egghand ("Football") season and that sucks up any attention. Fox are carrying the world cup this time instead of ABC/ESPN and when one network has something the others will behave as if that thing is not even occurring. With ESPN  being the biggest window for sports fans not covering it, whilst being at an unusual time of the year which is packed with Thanksgiving, school Christmas concerts, Christmas shopping and Football both college and NFL (you probably have no idea how big college football is over here each state probably has one or 2 teams with an 70k+ stadium and consumes pretty much the whole of every Saturday on 10+ TV channels, the EPL only gets a look in because it is played too early in the morning to be a problem) with all that going on it is just not really breaking through.

The reason that the USA makes a reasonable venue for a world cup is that is has a large number of massive stadiums already in place and local infrastructure to handle it. With enough expats from any country that qualifies to fill the stadiums before anyone else even flies feom abroad. At 2hrs from Atlanta I will be at the next one for sure chearing on Bolivia Vs The Central African Republic or whatever else turns up near to my door.

Although going back to England would be very reasonable too. I think it's time and likewise England plus other bits of UK has plenty of venues that could handle it.

1 hour ago, Mystic Force said:

I think the biggest problem with getting traction in USA is the time of year. This is Egghand ("Football") season and that sucks up any attention. Fox are carrying the world cup this time instead of ABC/ESPN and when one network has something the others will behave as if that thing is not even occurring. With ESPN  being the biggest window for sports fans not covering it, whilst being at an unusual time of the year which is packed with Thanksgiving, school Christmas concerts, Christmas shopping and Football both college and NFL (you probably have no idea how big college football is over here each state probably has one or 2 teams with an 70k+ stadium and consumes pretty much the whole of every Saturday on 10+ TV channels, the EPL only gets a look in because it is played too early in the morning to be a problem) with all that going on it is just not really breaking through.

The reason that the USA makes a reasonable venue for a world cup is that is has a large number of massive stadiums already in place and local infrastructure to handle it. With enough expats from any country that qualifies to fill the stadiums before anyone else even flies feom abroad. At 2hrs from Atlanta I will be at the next one for sure chearing on Bolivia Vs The Central African Republic or whatever else turns up near to my door.

Although going back to England would be very reasonable too. I think it's time and likewise England plus other bits of UK has plenty of venues that could handle it.

If I'm still here in 2026 one of the venues is less than 30 mins away - would be good to finally get to a WC game in person.

36 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

Amazing one minute at the end of the half, Brazil v Switzerland- Brazilians have been going down all half at the merest breath upon them, then rolling about 

After the first 2 games today, it’s as dull as ditch water too!

Every player goes down and rolls around with their hands over their face at the merest contact, I think this tournament is the final nail in the footballing coffin for me.

3 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Don't know about the second. It was over his head and he wouldn't have got to it even if he had jumped.

You can't blame him for the second, way over him and was the full backs man who he just didn't know he was coming in. 

He was also pretty instrumental in the end game siege to be fair to him, he was the one mainly heading everything away or blocking most things and I think he cleared one of the line as well. 

Just caught out with a late run for the first goal and good ball. 

3 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Taking things off topic, but this is just total bs. 5 days after the invasion started, every country in NATO had already committed to military assistance for Ukraine. Within 2 weeks of the invasion the non-NATO countries Sweden and Finland had also chipped in.

No they hadnt, Germany took forever to send anything. France did too iirc. Pledging and doing it are very different things. We were the first and sent the most in Europe (usa sent loads too) and Zelensky saw Johnson as his strongest ally.   Btw, i didn't take it off topic, the guy i replied to with his unnecessary dig at our country that had nothing to do with the world cup.  

42 minutes ago, Spark said:

No they hadnt, Germany took forever to send anything. France did too iirc. Pledging and doing it are very different things. We were the first and sent the most in Europe (usa sent loads too) and Zelensky saw Johnson as his strongest ally.   Btw, i didn't take it off topic, the guy i replied to with his unnecessary dig at our country that had nothing to do with the world cup.  

I have posted a reply on the Russia thread.

6 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Dear oh dear, some of these games (e.g. Uruguay vs Portugal) are sooo boring…both teams so scared of losing the first half, the game is 80% passing sideways and backwards. Is this modern top class football now? If so, I’m out FFS!

Group stage of tournament football, innit.