The World Cup Thread

FarehamSaintJames

7 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

Us Saints fans can’t complain to much about him after he gifted us a penalty for an offence 4 feet outside the box 😂

Against Brighton in the Championship wasn't it?  And to make it even better I seem to remember he gave the Brighton player a red card.

40 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Was that Peter Walton? That was one of the worst decisions I’ve ever seen 🤣🤣

Yup! That was right in front of us - we just looked at each other in disbelief whilst grinning quietly - we were amazed that it was right under the linos nose too - Walton puffed up his chest “I’ve made my decision so that’s that” Brighton were incandescent, when one of them got a straight red for arguing, that was just a cherry on the cake (I don’t think it was rescinded). After Rickie being wrongly sent off by Andy d’Urso at theirs it was divine retribution. 
I think he possibly only did one more game after that. 
(Someone posted a You Tube of it on here only the other day)

@mikec

Edited by John Boy Saint

20 hours ago, Raging Bull said:

Salisu at fault For both??

edit: not sure about the second one

I thought that the quality of the Korean crosses was excellent throughout the game. Probably should have done better with the first but the second was a superb cross for the guy to run on to.

22 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

I thought that the quality of the Korean crosses was excellent throughout the game. Probably should have done better with the first but the second was a superb cross for the guy to run on to.

For once i agree with you. Thought they looked good going forward and the centre forward who scored the second goal was excellent, attacking the cross and getting in above the defender, we've not had a striker who can do that since Pelle went.

15 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Dear oh dear, some of these games (e.g. Uruguay vs Portugal) are sooo boring…both teams so scared of losing the first half, the game is 80% passing sideways and backwards. Is this modern top class football now? If so, I’m out FFS!

Yes, I'm afraid it is. In my opinion, at least. I know there have been a couple of exceptions (against Spain and England, for starters), but I think it has been noticable just how organised defences have been at this WC, especially the so-called lesser teams. Many games have only seen goals when players are tiring, or have just made substitutions, and before those subs become accustomed to the pace or formations. The same could be said about the PL, too. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

Trippier commenting on the lightness of the WC ball , this might explain why numerous crosses/corners seem to be overhit. Fernandes managed to put a corner out for a throw in on the opposite touchline last night !

GOod excuse from someone who has had a poor tournament so far, and is in charge of set pieces....

• Confused 1

56 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

Trippier commenting on the lightness of the WC ball , this might explain why numerous crosses/corners seem to be overhit. Fernandes managed to put a corner out for a throw in on the opposite touchline last night !

Its notable the amount of shots hit from outside the box that don't seem to dip just head in to low earth orbit.

5 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

Its notable the amount of shots hit from outside the box that don't seem to dip just head in to low earth orbit.

I distinctly remember this being an issue at the South Africa WC as well, and it was so evident when watching the games. The flight behaviour of the balls was so erratic they were like beach balls.

You'd think FIFA would have learned from that.

1 hour ago, cloggy saint said:

Why do you say Trippier has had a poor tournament? He's been fine.

Very poor against USA. Hardly got forward and constantly lost possession with poor control/passing. I think he confessed himself he didn't have the best of games.

2 hours ago, East Kent Saint said:

There might be more in it than just a light ball. All the stadia are air conditioned and as pointed out on air a number of times, the cooler air being jetted in sits on the ground in a layer and displaces the warmer air upwards, so there might actually be an air temperature layering effect affecting the flight of the ball. Science in the real world.

Of course the cooler air layer at ground level is just what is needed for fans.

• Like 1

Watching this World Cup is a bit like watching The History of Saints Centre Backs. Unless I have missed any I think the following have worn Saints shirts whether on loan or permanent at some stage. SALISU (Ghana), BELLA-KOTCHAP (Germany - not sure he has played in the WC yet, but is certainly on the bench), VAN DIJK (Netherlands), ALDERWEIRELD (Netherlands), YOSHIDA (Japan), CACERES (Uruguay - did he ever play a first team Saints game?). LOVREN (Croatia).

Other ex-Saints players there - either permanent or on loan......SHAW (England), BALE (Wales), HOJBJERG (Denmark), TADIC (Serbia), BOUFAL (Morocco), MINAMINO (Japan).

It's a pity Sadio Mane didn't make the trip - that would have been a half-decent line-up lacking only a right back and a goalkeeper as far as I can see.

I'm aghast and indeed astounded that Wesley Hoedt isn't there......🤣 

No doubt someone on here with a greater knowledge/memory than I, will find one or more others. Have I missed anyone? 

Kane has said he's fully fit and had no issues following his knock in the Iran game. If that was a fully fit performance vs USA we're really in trouble, especially as we know Southgate will pick him whether he can run or not.

Rumours are that Henderson is coming in tonight(!), but presumably we'll see probably 8 or 9 of the same starters as the last two matches...

Senegal to beat Ecuador, who may be without Enner Valencia?

1 hour ago, Saint Keef said:

Watching this World Cup is a bit like watching The History of Saints Centre Backs. Unless I have missed any I think the following have worn Saints shirts whether on loan or permanent at some stage. SALISU (Ghana), BELLA-KOTCHAP (Germany - not sure he has played in the WC yet, but is certainly on the bench), VAN DIJK (Netherlands), ALDERWEIRELD (Netherlands), YOSHIDA (Japan), CACERES (Uruguay - did he ever play a first team Saints game?). LOVREN (Croatia).

Other ex-Saints players there - either permanent or on loan......SHAW (England), BALE (Wales), HOJBJERG (Denmark), TADIC (Serbia), BOUFAL (Morocco), MINAMINO (Japan).

It's a pity Sadio Mane didn't make the trip - that would have been a half-decent line-up lacking only a right back and a goalkeeper as far as I can see.

I'm aghast and indeed astounded that Wesley Hoedt isn't there......🤣 

No doubt someone on here with a greater knowledge/memory than I, will find one or more others. Have I missed anyone? 

Mouez Hassen is there with Tunisia who was on the bench for us at Wembley under Puel:

Ex-Saints 11 at the World Cup would be hard to field, bit out of position, but:

----------Hassen------------

---Toby---VVD--Yoshida-----

Caceres-Hojbjerg--Tadic--Shaw

---Minamino--Bale--Boufal----

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dorchester Saint said:

Anyone else massively annoyed that we fucked about in the summer signing school kids and didn’t get the Gakpo deal done ASAP as a matter of priority?

FFS!!! 

Yeah, every goal he scores is like a kick in the guts, a real “if only” feeling.

No chance whatsoever now obviously.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

Yep. The Gakpo train has sailed over the horizon. 

Apparently PSV still interested in doing a deal, total value £40M split into £25M cash  plus Adam Armstrong  could get it done 

• Haha 4

49 minutes ago, Dorchester Saint said:

Anyone else massively annoyed that we fucked about in the summer signing school kids and didn’t get the Gakpo deal done ASAP as a matter of priority?

FFS!!! 

This has been explained by many people many times. He isn't coming here, he never was and any interest shown by us and Leeds was speculative hope, rather than expectation.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JRM said:

Apparently PSV still interested in doing a deal, total value £40M split into £25M cash  plus Adam Armstrong  could get it done 

I logged onto the PSV forum earlier and a lot of their fans are very excited about this deal, a poster called Ruud Van God has come up with some very interesting stats to prove Armstrong averages a goal every other game, meanwhile someone else called TW Oorlog has watched a lot of Adam Armstrong, believes he is underachieving against his XG and believe he has a higher ceiling than Gakpo.

10 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

This has been explained by many people many times. He isn't coming here, he never was and any interest shown by us and Leeds was speculative hope, rather than expectation.

Thanks for your message, perhaps you could try to sound a little bit less of a sanctimonious cock next time 🤙🏼 

Edited by Dorchester Saint
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

It hasn't. There's been rumour only, and the suggestion has been that he was coming here but that Semmens cocked it up. I doubt that he's coming here now though. 

5 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

explained by who?

By anybody credible who was reporting on the story at the time. 

5 minutes ago, Dorchester Saint said:

Thanks for your message, perhaps you could try to sound a little bit less of a sanctimonious cock next time 🤙🏼 

Any perhaps next time you can be a bit less rude and not blow your fuse over an imaginary scenario you’ve made up. This wasn’t some £12m deal where we’ve quibbled over his petrol allowance and Leeds have come in and pinched him from under our nose. Had he been interested, it would have taken a fee nearly double our transfer record to get it done.

1 hour ago, Dorchester Saint said:

FFS!!! 

Yep. A 5ft 8 teenage left back and a couple of forwards who may be  proper players one day, do not make up for Gakpo. 

Edited by egg

Just now, Lighthouse said:

By anybody credible who was reporting on the story at the time. 

Any perhaps next time you can be a bit less rude and not blow your fuse over an imaginary scenario you’ve made up. This wasn’t some £12m deal where we’ve quibbled over his petrol allowance and Leeds have come in and pinched him from under our nose. Had he been interested, it would have taken a fee nearly double our transfer record to get it done.

Do you have a link.  I recall the odd story about all being agreed but players waiting until CL games were out of the way.  Might not have been this player though

6 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Do you have a link.  I recall the odd story about all being agreed but players waiting until CL games were out of the way.  Might not have been this player though

There were plenty of stories late in the window that the two clubs were apart in their valuations with Saints to increase their bid. Which kind of ties in with the rumour that a deal was lost due to Semmens trying to save a few quid.

9 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Leeds offered £30m plus £13m in add ons, according to this article quoting a Dutch media outlet, with apparent quotes from PSV’s chairman.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/09/20/we-said-no-director-admits-leeds-united-made-43m-bid-for-his-star-man/

There were also quotes from Gakpo himself saying he’d had contact with ETH at United but I CBA digging it all out again. To say it was ambitious is an understatement and it’s certainly not something I’d be laying at Semmens’ door for not happening.

• Like 2

Just now, Lighthouse said:

Leeds offered £30m plus £13m in add ons, according to this article quoting a Dutch media outlet, with apparent quotes from PSV’s chairman.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/09/20/we-said-no-director-admits-leeds-united-made-43m-bid-for-his-star-man/

There we’re also quotes from Gakpo himself saying he’d had contact with ETH at United but I CBA digging it all out again. To say it was ambitious is an understatement and it’s certainly not something I’d be laying at Semmens’ door for not happening.

Do you have any Saints Links?

“I can say with my hand on my heart that there has been no offer for Cody to which the management or the supervisory board said: ‘we must do this’.”

As expected, we tried to get him on the cheap. Pay what they wanted and he was ours. It’s as simple as that. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Cody Gakpo opens up on Louis van Gaal's role as his Man Utd transfer collapsed

Manchester United were reportedly just one Premier League side who were chasing a deal for Cody Gakpo, but former United boss Louis van Gaal deterred him from moving to England

Cody Gakpo has opened up on the collapse of his Man Utd transfer Cody Gakpo has opened up on the collapse of his Man Utd transfer(YouTube/PSV)
  • By

Dan Marsh
  • 13:50, 2 Sep 2022UPDATED14:14, 2 Sep 2022

Cody Gakpo has revealed that he decided against a move to Manchester United after speaking to their former manager, Louis van Gaal.

Gakpo was in demand this summer after dazzling for PSV Eindhoven last year. The 23-year-old registered 36 goal contributions for the Dutch giants during the previous campaign and has already plundered six goals in just four Eredivisie games so far this term. 

Unsurprisingly, a whole host of Premier Leaguesides have been credited with an interest in Gakpo's services in recent months, including Arsenal, Southampton and Leeds. It was revealed that Manchester United were also keeping tabs on the Dutch forward in the wake of complications in their bid to prise Ajax forward Antony away from Amsterdam. 

A report from The Athletic last week even claimed that there was a slim chance that United could opt to pursue deals for both Gakpo and Antony if they were able to strike a deal with Ajax for the Brazilian before Thursday's transfer deadline. But Gakpo, who was presented with the opportunity to pursue a deadline day move to Southampton after the Saints tabled a last-gasp bid for his services, has now broken his silence on Premier League interest. 

And Gakpo has revealed that a conversation with former United boss Van Gaal, who is the current head coach of the Dutch national team, helped him decide against making a move overseas.

Gakpo told PSV's official website: "I asked the national coach [Louis van Gaal] for advice. He thought I should follow my gut feeling, but also said that a transfer in a World Cup year would not really be ideal, also because of adjustment. I agreed with him."

• Like 1