The World Cup Thread

FarehamSaintJames

1 hour ago, East Kent Saint said:

Talking of falling over FIFA officially condone diving , by the right players of course !

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63766703

Ronaldo has been doing that all his career. He has very quick feet and invites some sort of minimal contact whereupon both his legs collapse as though he has been poleaxed.  Try that in a Sunday morning and you wouldn’t escape in one piece.

3 hours ago, CB Fry said:

I think you can't have too much Laura Woods and Seema Jaswal on the TV. Difficult to decide which is my favourite but I'd probably come down on the side of Jaswal.

If, like me, you like a little sauce on your dinner, I'd go Isa Guha all day long. If only she could migrate from the cricket and get into football commentary.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, egg said:

No, it's been poor, but the PL has become so good, international football isn't a better standard anymore. 

The arrogance of the English. International football always been slower pace and teams generally have cautious approach. People only remember WC good games but every tournament there are loads of crap games. 

• Like 2

Very cynical foul by Costa Rica on the edge of the area as Japan were about to shoot and probably score. But then Japan get away with a shirt pull in their box. Japan’s crosses from wide areas have been woeful. Germany could be off the hook here with Japan having Spain last.

10 minutes ago, whelk said:

The arrogance of the English. International football always been slower pace and teams generally have cautious approach. People only remember WC good games but every tournament there are loads of crap games. 

The question was whether the football has been mostly crap. It has been. I'd say the average PL game has better football (forget pace) than the average game in this tournament to date. 

4 minutes ago, egg said:

The question was whether the football has been mostly crap. It has been. I'd say the average PL game has better football (forget pace) than the average game in this tournament to date. 

Yes and you said it was because England has a better league so presumably the world’s best can’t entertain you. Good to see those Sky adverts are working though.

Just now, whelk said:

Yes and you said it was because England has a better league so presumably the world’s best can’t entertain you. Good to see those Sky adverts are working though.

The PL does produce a standard of football better than the standard in this world cup. That's my opinion. One day maybe you'll express an opinion on an issue, not the poster. Give it a whirl. 

2 minutes ago, egg said:

The PL does produce a standard of football better than the standard in this world cup. That's my opinion. One day maybe you'll express an opinion on an issue, not the poster. Give it a whirl. 

Ohh you have got me there. All my posts are about you sweet pea. Are you struggling a bit? You have become very sensitive of late 

1 minute ago, whelk said:

Ohh you have got me there. All my posts are about you sweet pea. Are you struggling a bit? You have become very sensitive of late 

I'm tremendous thanks Whelk, thank you for asking. Anyways, there's a football discussion going on. Try posting on the subject. Go on, you can do it, just the once won't hurt you. 

4 minutes ago, egg said:

I'm tremendous thanks Whelk, thank you for asking. Anyways, there's a football discussion going on. Try posting on the subject. Go on, you can do it, just the once won't hurt you. 

I struggle to have an opinion on anything these days as I am always thinking about you 

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Anyone know if Gary Neville has done any hard-hitting pieces, that required his attendance in Qatar?

He’s made some good points on TV and radio like anyone has.

I wouldn’t blame him for taking the money and being able to speak from the event itself. They can’t control that.

He did a good piece about how governments, businesses are quite happy to deal with people in these regimes and ignore the backwards rules/laws, but it’s actually having the World Cup in the Middle East that has highlighted all these laws and ways of life and is bringing it to the attention of everyone on a global level.

And that I think is a good thing.

4 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Is it just me or anyone else believe the football has been mostly crap?

You are right that the football has been mostly crap but you cannot beat this World Cup for drama and unpredictability.

The Saudis beating Argentina. The Japanese comeback against Germany. Morocco now on track to beat the Belgians - who in turn were very lucky to beat Canada.

The bookies must be loving these results.... And I am enjoying watching them. 

3 hours ago, egg said:

Not enough one touch football in the Premier League for me. It slows the game down and suffocates chances.