The World Cup Thread

FarehamSaintJames

1 hour ago, trousers said:

I feel we need @saintant to logon and write off a player before we're going to score here :)

Is that your way of using me to say England had been crap at that stage? If you thought it have the courage of your convictions and say it rather than ducking behind someone else 🙂

We're in the quarter finals and it's a bit of a free hit because not many will expect us to beat France and, if we do go out to them, it'll be no disgrace. Basically, keep Mbappe reasonably quiet and we have a decent chance because their defence and goalkeeper are not that great.

Knackered after the 3am KO time here, was a good performance after a stale first 20 or so. Thought most players played well and Henderson did better than expected when he was announced on the team sheet. Thought the centrebacks were a bit suss last night with some poor balls out from the back which could bite us in the arse against es Bleus and in the attacking sense thought Saka was anonymous but did get a tap in so credit there.

Be a good game against the French, could go either way depending how we approach this. Another 3am KO again though but least its on the weekend and don't have to suffer at work next day 😅

5 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Sterling has gone home because some armed intruders broke into his house while his family were at home 🥺

This is happening quite regularly now. Players or clubs are going to need to hire security teams when they are away. It’s horrendous, it happened to a friend of mine a couple of years back when he was away on business. Armed robbers broken in a held his wife and 14 year old daughter at knifepoint while robbing the house. They’ve still not gotten over it

• Sad 3

4 hours ago, Turkish said:

This is happening quite regularly now. Players or clubs are going to need to hire security teams when they are away. It’s horrendous, it happened to a friend of mine a couple of years back when he was away on business. Armed robbers broken in a held his wife and 14 year old daughter at knifepoint while robbing the house. They’ve still not gotten over it

I doubt they ever will. That kind of trauma stays with people for life. I don't think it even needs to be said that Sterling has done the right thing because his family need him for support and to help begin the healing process, and I doubt he will return to Qatar.

I'm guessing these lowlifes were assuming his family would be with him in Qatar and the house would be empty. IIRC there have been a few instances in recent years of footballers getting robbed while they were playing, as the thieves knew they wouldn't be home. I doubt they will ever be brought to justice either.

• Like 1