Chelsea 0-1 Saints - Match Thread

Midfield_General

3 hours ago, BotleySaint said:

Team struggling to score goals comes up against Southampton. We all know what happens next.. 

Chelsea also have a stack of new players that are bound to get their first goal for the club. Add in any out of form players to briefly play like world beaters and Mount's customary 1 or 2 goals and we're looking at a pasting.

Just now, Saint Mikey said:

Chelsea also have a stack of new players that are bound to get their first goal for the club. Add in any out of form players to briefly play like world beaters and Mount's customary 1 or 2 goals and we're looking at a pasting.

At least they don't have Werner now so he can't have his one good game a season making Bednarek look silly

• Like 2

Big Willy;

KWP, ABK, Salisu, Perraud;

Lavia, JWP;

Orisic, Alcaraz, Sulemana;

Onuachu. 

I want a sexy blend of croatian experience (big game merchant), athletic ability from our CBs, argie fire and african wizardry

Chucking in Big Willy for the game as an ex-chelsea player so not overawed.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Big Willy;

Lavia, JWP;

Onuachu. 

I want a sexy blend of croatian experience (big game merchant), athletic ability from our CBs, argie fire and african wizardry

Sally, Sally and Sue over CC? We need to play our two best centre backs. 

2 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Big Willy;

Lavia, JWP;

Onuachu. 

That for me is the best available team.

If Orsic still struggles, then bring Stuart Armstrong on.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I like the shots of Stu Armstrong, KWP and ABK being back in the fray. If Stu can get back to the levels he was at, he starts every week in the front 3 for me.

When we were really good he was really, really good and the driver behind that.

Any idea who the other coaches are in the photos apart from Selles?

It's notable that Che Adams, Romeo Lavia and Ainsley Maitland-Niles are missing from the training pictures but good to see Dom Ballard there. While I am hoping that Lavia will be fit to play, I susepct his omission from training would suggest he won't play on Saturday. I would therefore suggest that if those three are unavailable then our line up should/could be as follows:

Bazunu

KWP        ABK          DCC       Perraud

JWP                 Alcaraz

S. Armstrong

Sulemana                         Edozie

Onuachu

Formation: 4-2-1-2-1 flexible into a 4-2-1-3 or 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-2-3 or 4-2-2-2 formation!! (Or maybe even more variations if the full backs play as wing backs!!)

Subs: Caballero/McCarthy, Salisu, Bree/Lyanco, Diallo, Orsic, Armstrong/Elyounoussi, Mara, Aribo, Ballard (assuming a full set of 9 subs)

It's actually really hard to work out who is going to miss out. I have suggested Bednarek and Djenepo will miss out, but potentially they could be in the squad and someone else could miss out. I've put Diallo in as he is the only other central midfield cover if Lavia is injured, though Elyounoussi could cover there. Will Bree be on the bench as he is the cover full back.. or will Salisu and/or Lyanco provide cover for that position? Surely we would be likely to have at least two defenders on the bench?

Then in attacking midfield we are also spoilt for options and surely can't pick all of them! I reckon Orsic must be given his chance now, but what about Armstrong, Elyounoussi, Mara and Aribo? And if Che is injured will we just rely on Mara and/or Armstrong as cover or will we give Ballard his chance as I am suggesting?

2 minutes ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

It's notable that Che Adams, Romeo Lavia and Ainsley Maitland-Niles are missing from the training pictures but good to see Dom Ballard there. While I am hoping that Lavia will be fit to play, I susepct his omission from training would suggest he won't play on Saturday. I would therefore suggest that if those three are unavailable then our line up should/could be as follows:

Bazunu

S. Armstrong

Onuachu

Formation: 4-2-1-2-1 flexible into a 4-2-1-3 or 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-2-3 or 4-2-2-2 formation!! (Or maybe even more variations if the full backs play as wing backs!!)

Subs: Caballero/McCarthy, Salisu, Bree/Lyanco, Diallo, Orsic, Armstrong/Elyounoussi, Mara, Aribo, Ballard (assuming a full set of 9 subs)

It's actually really hard to work out who is going to miss out. I have suggested Bednarek and Djenepo will miss out, but potentially they could be in the squad and someone else could miss out. I've put Diallo in as he is the only other central midfield cover if Lavia is injured, though Elyounoussi could cover there. Will Bree be on the bench as he is the cover full back.. or will Salisu and/or Lyanco provide cover for that position? Surely we would be likely to have at least two defenders on the bench?

Then in attacking midfield we are also spoilt for options and surely can't pick all of them! I reckon Orsic must be given his chance now, but what about Armstrong, Elyounoussi, Mara and Aribo? And if Che is injured will we just rely on Mara and/or Armstrong as cover or will we give Ballard his chance as I am suggesting?

Salisu is likely to start I'd imagine. I'd also expect Diallo to start if Lavia doesn't. Personally I think it's time to try an alternative to Edozie - Orsic for me. The guy clearly has pedigree.

What would be nice, and I can't believe that this is such an unlikely scenario, to actually get all our fucking best players on the pitch at the same time. We aren't City who can think about systems with so much intricacy cos they have 20 elite players. Lets get our best players out there. I'm not too bogged down on a perfect formation as most formations are pretty fluid except for how many at the back. I would say the players with the best pedigree in our squad are

McCarthy/Big willy, KWP,  DCC, ABK, Perraud, JWP, Lavia, Orsic, Sulemana, Alcrarez, Big Paul/Che.

Bazunu time will probably come again but it is clear if we want to stay up he isn't gonna save us. I know some would argue against Orsic but he has achieved far more in football than most of our wingers/number 10s. Haven't seen enough of Big Paul to say he's more clininal than Che, but wouldn't be hard to be so.

Not too bothered how they are all arranged on the pitch, but that is the XI players I want to see walking out of the tunnel. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

Bazunu

S. Armstrong

Onuachu

I'd have Armstrong in Edozie's place, and stick Sulamana left and Armstrong right. 

Alcaraz in the 10.

Lavia is fit by the way, he's just undercover to avoid the Chelsea spy's.

B885D381-1DEB-4EB5-B3DC-BE40499B60BE.thu

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Chelsea are due to give somebody a hiding. First goals for Mudryk, Madueke etc. We'll happily oblige and give Potter some respite

4-0 defeat and we'll be sitting on Saturday evening wondering how we got to the point where Ruben Selles is our manager 🤦

Yes can see that,  with Selles saying he can take some positives from the way we played in the 2nd half 

Difficult to call this one…they’ve not been all that recently and we’ve got new interim Manager bounce, with the players revolting (lol) and imposing their experience on the coaching and tactics. So for me I’m going for a shock result…either 4-0 or 4-1.  And another week of collective proverbial head beating on here. Happy days.

Edited by Saint Fan CaM
#idiot

Just now, Saint Fan CaM said:

Difficult to call this one…they’ve not been all that recently and we’ve got new interim Manager bounce, with the players revolting (lol) and imposing their experience on the coaching and tactics. So for me I’m going for a shock result…either 0-4 or 1-4. And another week of collective proverbial head beating on here. Happy days.

I think it's easy to say that as there are lots of 'nills', but they are actually playing well and creating more than enough openings to win every game they play, their finishing has just been shit.

It's weird that Potter has taken his brighton vibes with him to Chelsea.

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

I think it's easy to say that as there are lots of 'nills', but they are actually playing well and creating more than enough openings to win every game they play, their finishing has just been shit.

It's weird that Potter has taken his brighton vibes with him to Chelsea.

Haha…I’m an idiot…forgot it was away! 🤣🤣🤣 Corrected now.

I''m interested to see how Selles approaches this. He knows we need to get wins on the board so probably has two options. Set up to keep it tight, spoil, disrupt the flow and hope to keep it tight and nick a goal on the break or, go more gung ho and press hard high up the pitch, get in their faces and take the game to them. I'd love to see the second option because we signed five new players in January and maybe he can pick a decent offensive side out of our squad. Plus we haven't really tried that approach and ok, we might get well beaten but surely we have to try it at some stage.

What is it with Stuart Armstrong. Since he arrived he's scored a few great goals and at times looks like he should be the first name on the team sheet. But none of our managers have seen fit to consistently play him. I heard that he is one of those players that only wants to play when they are 100% fit and pain free which apparently for a professional footballer is virtually never - but I don't know that for a fact. 

There must be some issue as when he's good he's great, but he's never on the pitch. He also seems to escape criticism completely. 

1 minute ago, SonicBoom said:

What is it with Stuart Armstrong. Since he arrived he's scored a few great goals and at times looks like he should be the first name on the team sheet. But none of our managers have seen fit to consistently play him. I heard that he is one of those players that only wants to play when they are 100% fit and pain free which apparently for a professional footballer is virtually never - but I don't know that for a fact. 

There must be some issue as when he's good he's great, but he's never on the pitch. He also seems to escape criticism completely. 

I reckon he has underlying health issues. Not based on any knowledge - just a hunch.

18 minutes ago, saintant said:

I''m interested to see how Selles approaches this. He knows we need to get wins on the board so probably has two options. Set up to keep it tight, spoil, disrupt the flow and hope to keep it tight and nick a goal on the break or, go more gung ho and press hard high up the pitch, get in their faces and take the game to them. I'd love to see the second option because we signed five new players in January and maybe he can pick a decent offensive side out of our squad. Plus we haven't really tried that approach and ok, we might get well beaten but surely we have to try it at some stage.

This is how we need to play to get wins,, trying to defend and keeping it tight is impossible for us, go play like we did v city for the rest of the season.

Fans want us to have a go and if we are not good enough such is life but if the players play with enjoyment and positivity then they can achieve anything.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Le Timmier said:

I reckon he has underlying health issues. Not based on any knowledge - just a hunch.

Yes, he had a bout of covid and has never seemed the same since. When he's come on as sub since he's never quite met my expectations based on past form. A shame really.

• Like 1

This is what I’d like to see against Chelsea, its a good start and easily transitions into a 4231 or even 4222 (bit of a stretch) if required, not sure on the fitness of ABK or KWP but these can be easily swapped with Salisu or Bree

We need to get in their faces early, they’re as fragile as we are, especially after their midweek loss

Stick Onuachu on Silvas toes and try to get Sulemana in behind as Badiashile doesn’t cover him effectively

Im not really expecting a win but Id like to see a competetive and full of energy performance 

66B98F51-5596-463A-AD2F-1AF7DE256EC0.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SonicBoom said:

2 hours ago, Le Timmier said:

His downturn in fitness / availablity seemed to coincide with the time he had a bout of Covid...

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Nolan said:

A reminder of Selles' team Vs Wednesday.

And, frankly thinking, the team that can be put out Saturday will be a world apart.

Screenshot_2023-02-16-16-29-52-50_df198e732186825c8df26e3c5a10d7cd.thumb.jpg.80c5ea97aa650e62be3c95a7e3a0912c.jpg

Selles not done himself any favours there. 

Got to keep in mind though, loads of teams bring in fringe players for the cup matches, so I'll reserve judgement until the team sheet is out for the Chelsea game. If several of those names are starters, I won't be defending him ;-)

9 minutes ago, trousers said:

Pre-match press conference....

Selles: "I want to be Southampton manager"

Coming across very well TBF

Yeah if he was an unknown to me foreign guy who we just appointed I would be encouraged by his press conference 

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Chelsea 0-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic