Chelsea 0-1 Saints - Match Thread

Midfield_General

59 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

Yes, he had a bout of covid and has never seemed the same since. When he's come on as sub since he's never quite met my expectations based on past form. A shame really.

I agree Sue, he hasn't been the same since he had Covid. A real pity because prior to that he was probably our best player. Someone I know has what they call "Long Covid" and it's really debilitating. I really hope he gets back to how he was.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, trousers said:

His downturn in fitness / availablity seemed to coincide with the time he had a bout of Covid...

Stuart's also been struggling with a groin/hip issue for a while as far as I've heard. Had surgery in Spain earlier in the year and it was seen as a success so may be back to a bit more of what we saw before, now.

2 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

This is what I’d like to see against Chelsea, its a good start and easily transitions into a 4231 or even 4222 (bit of a stretch) if required, not sure on the fitness of ABK or KWP but these can be easily swapped with Salisu or Bree

We need to get in their faces early, they’re as fragile as we are, especially after their midweek loss

Stick Onuachu on Silvas toes and try to get Sulemana in behind as Badiashile doesn’t cover him effectively

Im not really expecting a win but Id like to see a competetive and full of energy performance 

66B98F51-5596-463A-AD2F-1AF7DE256EC0.jpeg

You've dropped Edozie and Salisu? Two of our better players recently. Doubtful that ABK is fully match sharp, and Orsic certainly won't be.

• Like 1

If it doesnt work out for Selles he can run workshops on giving press conferences to welsh managers.

Sounded very very good and pretty clear on his role and I especially liked the bit where blackmore asked him about having to change from being everyone's friend to being a cunt and he basically said that's the dinosaur approach nowadays.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, gecko said:

Selles not done himself any favours there. 

Got to keep in mind though, loads of teams bring in fringe players for the cup matches, so I'll reserve judgement until the team sheet is out for the Chelsea game. If several of those names are starters, I won't be defending him 😉

It was a cup game so probably not the side he'd have chosen for a Premier League game. 

2 hours ago, gecko said:

Selles not done himself any favours there. 

Got to keep in mind though, loads of teams bring in fringe players for the cup matches, so I'll reserve judgement until the team sheet is out for the Chelsea game. If several of those names are starters, I won't be defending him ;-)

6 minutes ago, saintant said:

It was a cup game so probably not the side he'd have chosen for a Premier League game. 

Yeah it was a cup game, so probably picked a different team to PL

22 hours ago, Nolan said:

A reminder of Selles' team Vs Wednesday.

And, frankly thinking, the team that can be put out Saturday will be a world apart.

Screenshot_2023-02-16-16-29-52-50_df198e732186825c8df26e3c5a10d7cd.thumb.jpg.80c5ea97aa650e62be3c95a7e3a0912c.jpg

I can’t remember the game but despite what that screenshot says it looks more like a 3/5 at the back to me, which was obviously NJ’s intentions so benefit of the doubt to Selles that he was putting out a team that might reflect what the new manager would be looking to do. 

20 minutes ago, saintant said:

Grimsby could be, well, grim then.

Not expecting too much tomorrow, hopefully signs of a bit of commitment but have to be realistic - by the end of the next PL home game should give a clearer picture.

1 hour ago, 100%Red&White said:

Grimsby could be, well, grim then.

Not expecting too much tomorrow, hopefully signs of a bit of commitment but have to be realistic - by the end of the next PL home game should give a clearer picture.

Yeah it was clear he doesn't think one week is much working with the players. I was hoping 5 days would be enough. He says this week is about establishing a system to play, then later he gives praise to every system - gengenpress, out of possession, Gray-ham and his multi-system in a game.

Show us something, Ruben, just show us the players look like they know their roles and play a RB at RB etc.

This could work out for him if the players respond. 

2 hours ago, revolution saint said:

Chelsea 0 Saints 9

Team picks itself:

Bazunu

Bree Bednarek Lyanco AMN

Diallo Moi

Walcott                                    Djenepo

Aribo         A. Armstrong

Was going to go with 5 at the back but I think this is the kind of game where we need to go for it.

Bednarek? Surely a misprint.

Interesting RS referenced 4-2-3-1 as Benitez' signature formation, obviously very influenced by Rafa.

It shouldn't be difficult to get our best players in their best positions in that formation:

GK [actually not sure who our best is]

KWP DCC Salisu Perraud

Lavia JWP

Sulemana Alcaraz Orsic

Onuachu

Bench: ABK, Aribo, Diallo, S Armstrong, Edozie, Mara, Elyounoussi, AMN

Squad, for use in emergencies only: Walcott, A Armstrong, B******k, Lyanco, Bree, Djenepo [on the assumption that Che is out injured]

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Saint86 said:

You've dropped Edozie and Salisu? Two of our better players recently. Doubtful that ABK is fully match sharp, and Orsic certainly won't be.

I think its time to reset, and play what is, IMO our strongest line up, if ABK doesn’t make it then Salisu can drop in, Im not sure there’s a lot in it on current form 

Id expect him to go back to having the ‘wide’ players as IF and push the FBs forward and both Orsic and Sulemana are more natural at playing narrower

• Like 1

9 hours ago, trousers said:

If he can manage the team as well as he speaks then we may have a gem on our hands...

Very impressive, convincing presser from Selles.  Easy to believe that the players will buy into his ideas and plans.   The proof though will be team selection, formation and style of play.   Loved his answer to early influences and role models.....from Benitez, through to Pep, Simeone and even a mention for Ralph.   The other promising sign was the humility and quiet confidence he displayed which is light years away from what we have witnessed in the past three months. 

• Like 5

Having seen the presser in full now, I’m impressed. Selles seems a good guy, with great teeth and a winning smile.
It’s often said that a good presser acts as a launchpad for the actual game and although I haven’t seen the Graham Potter press conference I feel pretty confident that we’ve won it. I’d go so far as to say we’ve smashed it. 

The thing that really stood out for me was the Spanish accent, it’s more authentic and you really get the impression he knows what he’s talking about in a different language. 
Seems like exciting times are on their way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'll judge Selles on the starting lineup, the performance and to a certain extent the result - not much is expected, but in the same sense you dont want to get smashed.

Couldnt care less about his press conferences and how he comes across, as long as he doesnt have a meltdown and try to blame the fans. We need performances and results, not a nice guy

• Like 1

I would put zero pressure on Selles. He has to somehow settle everyone down and play a system. Good start with the press conference, that's settled the fan base down.

I agree with a previous poster he has a touch of the Artetas about him. Arsenal stood by Arteta when the going was rough. We have to do the same.

There will be grim games, tomorrow could be one of them. Roll with it.

All I want is a sensible system, players in their correct position and some discipline.

Looking forward to it.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, revolution saint said:

Chelsea 0 Saints 9

Team picks itself:

Bazunu

Bree Bednarek Lyanco AMN

Diallo Moi

Was going to go with 5 at the back but I think this is the kind of game where we need to go for it.

For own goals?

16 hours ago, revolution saint said:

Chelsea 0 Saints 9

Team picks itself:

Bazunu

Bree Bednarek Lyanco AMN

Diallo Moi

The only way that team could possibly be improved is if you sort them alphabetically, starting with A. Armstrong between the sticks.

I think Bree is getting a bum rap due to the NJ connection. I think he’s looked OK considering he’s still adjusting. I wouldn’t put him in front of KWP by any means but I’m not half as horrified to see him in the lineup compared to Janny B, Lyanco, Diallo and Moi.

• Like 2

Strangely optimistic about this afternoon. Partly as on the face of it looks a free hit, but also Sulemana’s performance last week and Selles’ measured presser. If RS avoids playing any ‘politics’ and picks the best side and system I can see an interesting close game here - 1-1 or 1-2. COYR! 

• Like 1

Bazunu

KWP DCC.  ABK Peraud

JWP.  Lavia

Edozie Alcaraz. Kamaldeen

Onuachu 

Keep Bazunu in goal for his distribution with better instruction for a back 4.

Rotate JWP and Alcaraz. And let a 4231 someone become a 4141.

Pace from Edozie and Kamaldeen, Onuachu as the target man.

Edited by Nolan

Think this is about the 5th time i've said 2-0 to us and today i feel is the day when i break out the randy marsh jizzing on his computer gif at full time.

Sexy Selles football, The Siege Tower making inspector gadget look like he has short legs and the Predator skinning people (curcella pulled a sickie i bet)

20 hours ago, revolution saint said:

Chelsea 0 Saints 9

Team picks itself:

Bazunu

Bree Bednarek Lyanco AMN

Diallo Moi

No manager in the world could make that team into a winning one! literally a team of our worst players 

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

I don't think you can come to that conclusion at all, in and around chaos it's hard for anyone to look good.

So far, he has been pretty rubbish.  A complete non-event bar a pass against Leeds and a goal (good one) against City

To suggest starting him over our new striker (or Adams) is ridiculous

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Chelsea 0-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic