Chelsea 0-1 Saints - Match Thread

Midfield_General

4 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

So far, he has been pretty rubbish.  A complete non-event bar a pass against Leeds and a goal (good one) against City

To suggest starting him over our new striker (or Adams) is ridiculous

The run across the defender and instinctive finish against City proves to me that the lad has talent - the ball was in the net before their defenders and keeper had time to blink. You can't do that if you're rubbish and game time is what he needs in my opinion. Also I've seen other little cameos from him that give reasons to think he's got something.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Simon3737 said:

Bazunu 

KWP   DCC Salisu  Perraud

Lavia

JWP   Alcaraz 

Sulemana    Orsic

Mara

Sub: Tall Paul last 25 mins

Score: 2 - 2

One question, what has Orsic shown to deserve a start? If Stu is fit I’d have him In over Orsic, I’d also start with tall Paul. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

One question, what has Orsic shown to deserve a start? If Stu is fit I’d have him In over Orsic, I’d also start with tall Paul. 

I love Stu, but in all honesty what has he done to deserve a start either? He hasn't had a good game for us for well over a year now. Whilst Orsic may not have done anything to deserve a start based on his time here, he's shown better form with Zagreb and Croatia this season

Just now, sydney_saint said:

I love Stu, but in all honesty what has he done to deserve a start either? He hasn't had a good game for us for well over a year now. Whilst Orsic may not have done anything to deserve a start based on his time here, he's shown better form with Zagreb and Croatia this season

From what I understand he has been carrying an injury, also NJ didn’t seem to like him at all. I’m working on the basis that when he has made his late substitute  appearances we have looked far quicker and had greater penetration. It has crossed my mind he maybe going over the hill, but I’d like to see him involved, even if it’s not for a full game.

1 minute ago, Toussaint said:

From what I understand he has been carrying an injury, also NJ didn’t seem to like him at all. I’m working on the basis that when he has made his late substitute  appearances we have looked far quicker and had greater penetration. It has crossed my mind he maybe going over the hill, but I’d like to see him involved, even if it’s not for a full game.

Yeah that's a fair point. I'm just a little bit worried that his time as an EPL starter might be near the end, and that really sucks as on form he was a player you love to watch, ghosting through the midfield and those spectacular shots. I think he would still be best as a substitute for that last 20-25 minutes. I wouldn't be even a little annoyed if he starts, I've just got a feeling that Orsic has plenty to give and we need to see if we can unlock it. 

Worst case scenario for me is that we continue to ship goals.

This new approach has to address the inability to defend crosses - and non-crosses, in fact any attack.

If we lose 1-0 and look tighter without any major defensive debacles, then perhaps the belated rebuild may have started -  if we lose 3-0 then nothing has changed.

And if Leeds or West Ham win a game before we do, that table will look even more horrific.

coyr

23 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

This is what I’d like to see against Chelsea...

66B98F51-5596-463A-AD2F-1AF7DE256EC0.jpeg

Spot on, that's our best lineup, (and I can hardly believe I'm saying it) but maybe better off with McCarthy in goal. :classic_laugh:

As for Ruben Selles, interest has surely been piqued.

Granted, it was a pre-match presser, and not following the pressure of another limp Southampton defeat, but that was his first time before the glare of the Premier League media spotlight, and he shone.

Starting with an analysis of the non-verbals, his hands barely moved. This is good. It shows that he is in complete control of himself. Often most people are completely unaware of it, but subconsciously they are using their hands/arms in an involuntary manner whilst speaking. Whether it is crossing them across the body as a defensive barrier, or using them as an extention of or distraction from their words, significant movements of this type always indicates some level of unease, or and unconscious attempt to ameliorate for a lack of confidence in the actual substance of their words.

Ruben's almost serene stillness whilst speaking indicates a man that is both relaxed, and supremely confident in the substance of what he is saying, and is happy to sit back and let his words speak for themselves. No further non-verbal emphasis or supporting acts needed. This is me, I am comfortable here, and in command of myself and the room.

There was no fear or nervousness. Just a bubbling undercurrent of excitement at the opportunity he has to express himself on this team.

That self confidence is fully backed up by the substance of the words themselves. He is clearly an intelligent man, with a wide knowledge base to draw from when answering questions, and was extremely effective in communicating his thoughts in a non-native language. Another great positive is that unlike many, he actually thinks before he speaks. He was not immediately reactive, and pauses to formulate what he wants to say, before then clearly and concisely expressing it.

Unlike the recent incumbent, he knows when to stop talking.

Nathan Jones reminded of the typical petty criminal who gets haulled in for questioning, but the police don't actually have any firm evidence on him yet. Just suspicion. They ask a few leading questions, and watch him squirm under interrogation. Leaving sufficient silences that he eventually fills in the gaps and incriminates himself, because he is not in control, and cannot stop talking.

Ruben Selles was in complete control. He said precisely what he wanted to say, exactly how he wanted to say it. He was warm and engaging, positive and enthusiastic. He did not elaborate or embellish, simply responded to the questions he was asked, with a relaxed smile. And all the way through his performance, he exuded a quiet and unassuming self confidence. He belonged there.

You can see why the players like him. He doesn't have the instant "gravitas" associated with a stellar past playing career, but he engenders respect simply from the quality of his character. And that can be equally if not more effective in the long run. I would certainly play for him.

He's off to a fantastic start. I am suitably impressed.

Now all he has to do, is back it up by winning some football matches. :)

Ruben Selles Red White Army.

Win lose or draw, I for one am really looking forward to this one. The dark cloud of Nathan Jones has been lifted, Selles is a breath of fresh air, and it is just going to feel so good to fully cheer on my team without that horrible sour taste of knowing anything but a defeat just prolongs the agony of being managed by the Best Manager in Europe ™️ and fittest human being in history.

Hope is kindled.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Rivers said:

Spot on, that's our best lineup, (and I can hardly believe I'm saying it) but maybe better off with McCarthy in goal. :classic_laugh:

As for Ruben Selles, interest has surely been piqued.

Granted, it was a pre-match presser, and not following the pressure of another limp Southampton defeat, but that was his first time before the glare of the Premier League media spotlight, and he shone.

Starting with an analysis of the non-verbals, his hands barely moved. This is good. It shows that he is in complete control of himself. Often most people are completely unaware of it, but subconsciously they are using their hands/arms in an involuntary manner whilst speaking. Whether it is crossing them across the body as a defensive barrier, or using them as an extention of or distraction from their words, significant movements of this type always indicates some level of unease, or and unconscious attempt to ameliorate for a lack of confidence in the actual substance of their words.

Ruben's almost serene stillness whilst speaking indicates a man that is both relaxed, and supremely confident in the substance of what he is saying, and is happy to sit back and let his words speak for themselves. No further non-verbal emphasis or supporting acts needed. This is me, I am comfortable here, and in command of myself and the room.

There was no fear or nervousness. Just a bubbling undercurrent of excitement at the opportunity he has to express himself on this team.

That self confidence is fully backed up by the substance of the words themselves. He is clearly an intelligent man, with a wide knowledge base to draw from when answering questions, and was extremely effective in communicating his thoughts in a non-native language. Another great positive is that unlike many, he actually thinks before he speaks. He was not immediately reactive, and pauses to formulate what he wants to say, before then clearly and concisely expressing it.

Unlike the recent incumbent, he knows when to stop talking.

Nathan Jones reminded of the typical petty criminal who gets haulled in for questioning, but the police don't actually have any firm evidence on him yet. Just suspicion. They ask a few leading questions, and watch him squirm under interrogation. Leaving sufficient silences that he eventually fills in the gaps and incriminates himself, because he is not in control, and cannot stop talking.

Ruben Selles was in complete control. He said precisely what he wanted to say, exactly how he wanted to say it. He was warm and engaging, positive and enthusiastic. He did not elaborate or embellish, simply responded to the questions he was asked, with a relaxed smile. And all the way through his performance, he exuded a quiet and unassuming self confidence. He belonged there.

You can see why the players like him. He doesn't have the instant "gravitas" associated with a stellar past playing career, but he engenders respect simply from the quality of his character. And that can be equally if not more effective in the long run. I would certainly play for him.

He's off to a fantastic start. I am suitably impressed.

Now all he has to do, is back it up by winning some football matches. :)

Ruben Selles Red White Army.

Win lose or draw, I for one am really looking forward to this one. The dark cloud of Nathan Jones has been lifted, Selles is a breath of fresh air, and it is just going to feel so good to fully cheer on my team without that horrible sour taste of knowing anything but a defeat just prolongs the agony of being managed by the Best Manager in Europe ™️ and fittest human being in history.

Hope is kindled.

He really impressed me too, and you have explained why perfectly.  Relaxed, confident and in control. How often would he have faced the media at any of his previous jobs? He seemed to totally natural. There were also a few moments where he showed amusement, almost as if laughing to himself in an "I know something you don't" kind of way. I'm hoping he already knows he has the job at least for the ret of the season, but for some reason just isn't allowed to say so yet.

• Like 3

Looks like 4231 to me. Armstrong playing as 10, which he has suggested in interviews is his best role. Kamaldeen and Elyo on the flanks, one is exciting the other is Elyonoussi…

Bednarak is disappointing but maybe DCC isn’t fit or his attitude hasn’t been right? 

Manager picking players he trusts potentially?

6 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Let’s wait for him to pick a team and not look utterly horrendous before being happy for him to have it for the year, I think.

Fucked one part up already, let’s just hope he’s already managed some influence on the training ground as he’s seemingly been given the job off the back of a single press conference.

4 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

What has happened to DCC, Orsic and Salisu !!!

Potentially something to do with that club leak/news about Selles telling people to start putting in effort or not play again this season. Maybe he has seen a discernible lack of effort/intention from these guys? I am, of course, not sure at all, but other than that, I can't think why they wouldn't be in the matchday squad. 

I guess DCC will be off in the summer whatever happens, same likely with Salisu. Maybe Selles thinks that they just don't care enough to stand up to the challenge. 

who knows? 

edit: seen that Salisu is injured.

Edited by santolijador

• Lighthouse changed the title to Chelsea 0-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic