New Manager

Bakovnetski

On 06/02/2023 at 10:13, Super_Uwe said:

I am assuming NJ will be relieved of his duties soon, even after I posted last week it's gone even further downhill😄

I personally would see if Adkins would take the role till the end of the season.

We need a manager who is available in the first instance (seeing as we'd be paying compensation to two bosses). But most importantly we need someone who the fans can unite behind. Ordinarily I don't think this would be as big a priority, but given the toxicity right now it has to be THE top priority.

There is huge respect and love for what he did with us, but also I think a lot of people forget that he actually had started to turn things around before we appointed Pochettino. His career since has been very average, but you cannot deny that fans would be desperate for him to do well.

IMO we have absolutely no hope of staying up unless we can get into a situation where St Mary's is rocking for every game till the end of the season (think the spirit of Dellhurst Park in 1999).

Still feel the same

Edited by Super_Uwe
  • Like 1

Selles took charge of the League Cup tie v Sheff Wed with Boyo watching in the stands. I was intrigued to see if in the 48 hours he had been in charge if we were going to appear a bit different but it was very much more of the same. I’m not writing him off on the strength of that, but I don’t think there will be anything like the “new manager bounce” we need to have a slight chance of escaping the drop, if he is given the job. 

• Like 5

Leeds fans on Marsch

"gutted things did not work out, but he was never really good enough at this level."

"Always sorry to see someone lose their job. He did seem a genuine nice fella.
Unfortunately he wasn’t up to the job and showed no signs of ever being up to the job.
He actually should’ve been gone 3 months ago. Would’ve saved everyone a lot of heartache."

"I hate to blame the manager for failure of any team/club. In this case though, it really did appear that Jesse Marsch simply wasn't good enough for the premier league."

"I liked his passion but he couldn't deal with the competitiveness in the PL. Simply doesn't have the experience to handle the different tactical challenges faced each week."

"For all that he seemed likeable there was a fairly broad concensus on here (which is not normally the case) that he wasn’t up to it and that was fairly obvious from early in the season."

Edited by SaintsLoyal
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, SaintsLoyal said:

Leeds fans on Marsch

"gutted things did not work out, but he was never really good enough at this level."

Unfortunately he wasn’t up to the job and showed no signs of ever being up to the job.
He actually should’ve been gone 3 months ago. Would’ve saved everyone a lot of heartache."

"I hate to blame the manager for failure of any team/club. In this case though, it really did appear that Jesse Marsch simply wasn't good enough for the premier league."

"I liked his passion but he couldn't deal with the competitiveness in the PL. Simply doesn't have the experience to handle the different tactical challenges faced each week."

"For all that he seemed likeable there was a fairly broad concensus on here (which is not normally the case) that he wasn’t up to it and that was fairly obvious from early in the season."

That's not encouraging.

So, when are they announcing Marsch then? 

Edited by Saint Billy
Autoshite

Just now, SaturdayGirl said:

Can we wait the outcome of the Chelsea game and see where Potter lies after that ?

The options would be :

1. Potter gets sacked, continues to earn a shit ton of money / receives a massive wedge of compo cash from Chelsea and puts his feet up for a couple of months until a tempting offer comes in.

2. Potter gets sacked and immediately thinks the best thing for him to do is take on a basket case of a club, pretty much nailed on for a relegation to go on his CV.

Not sure option 2 is that tempting, unless you think otherwise?

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, SaintsLoyal said:

Leeds fans on Marsch

Sold. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SaintsLoyal said:

Leeds fans on Marsch

Fuck me, what metrics do our board use to scout managers?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

DT is both furious and relieved at Steve Bruce managing both us and Leeds simultaneously having stumbled across confirmation from Greg Ratcliffe’s Twitter account. 😂

He's gone quiet, I reckon he's spontaneously combusted with this news.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, SaturdayGirl said:

Can we wait the outcome of the Chelsea game and see where Potter lies after that ?

it's reasonable to assume that he won't be lying in a hotel in Southampton once Chelsea eventually sack him. If he's got any sense he'll be lying on a sunbed in the Caribbean for about 6 months with a Pina Colada in his hand until he gets  a call from West Ham to move across London. 

11 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

DT is both furious and relieved at Steve Bruce managing both us and Leeds simultaneously having stumbled across confirmation from Greg Ratcliffe’s Twitter account. 😂

Sorry. Was out for dinner in Naples. Has something happened or are you still looking at people’s twitter followers to establish veracity of what they sayeth? Or not sayeth? Do tell. 

Just now, DT said:

Sorry. Was out for dinner in Naples. Has something happened or are you still looking at people’s twitter followers to establish veracity of what they sayeth? Or not sayeth? Do tell. 

Steve Bruce is going to be our new manager, and also Leeds new manager.

Just waiting to see who gets tails on the toss.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, santolijador said:

If we have to go for one of these former England players, I'd take a punt on Rooney. Did a decent enough job at Derby given everything they went through, and tends to play a 4-2-3-1 which suits our players. He'd be a good Championship manager, and a big enough name to hopefully convince some players to stick around. 

Rooney is my first choice too, followed by Carrick, then any fancy name foreigner.

Ten reasons why Rooney is my top pick:

1.  Learnt from the best - Sir Alex Ferguson

2.  Can teach our young strikers how to score (was a brilliant young striker himself)

3.  Did a "fantastic job" at Derby County (says West Brom manager Carlos Corberan)

4.  Loyal to club (stuck with Derby County despite their financial difficulties)

5.  Has experience managing a Championship club (where we'll likely be next season)

6.  We can poach Man Utd youngsters, not just Man City

7.  No more selling our best players to Liverpool

8.  Winner off the field as well as on - he and Colleen beat the Vardys

9.  Will manage Saints over-75 women's team for free

10.  As left-field an appointment as Nathan Jones - you just know SR will do it!

P.S.  No Jesse Marsch please - can you imagine "Oh when the Saints go marsching in"?

Edited by Singapore Saint
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Selles took charge of the League Cup tie v Sheff Wed with Boyo watching in the stands. I was intrigued to see if in the 48 hours he had been in charge if we were going to appear a bit different but it was very much more of the same. I’m not writing him off on the strength of that, but I don’t think there will be anything like the “new manager bounce” we need to have a slight chance of escaping the drop, if he is given the job. 

Agreed. We were shit in that game. Should have lost. I’d take Selles as a stop-gap if we need to, but agree I think we’d be accepting relegation. 

Now, if Bielsa was the ‘older head’ alongside him we’d be talking…