Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

Just now, whiteleySaint30 said:

Surely how many we need will depend on outgoings? 

We already have a squad of 3 atm. We'd have to sell 8 and 3 more gives us 25. I don't honestly think that that qe will sign more.

Charles is also the Lavia replacement.

14 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

We already have a squad of 3 atm. We'd have to sell 8 and 3 more gives us 25. I don't honestly think that that qe will sign more.

Charles is also the Lavia replacement.

Who is the Diallo replacement?

26 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

As time goes on I’ve got this feeling we won’t be making mega signings, maybe three more?

Outgoings will be the big thing. 

What's do you mean by `mega signings'?

Outgoings have and were always going to be the thing. 

That said, we just spent £10m on Charles. That is pretty big for the Championship. I should imagine it will exceed total spending for the majority of sides in the EFL.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

That said, we just spent £10m on Charles. That is pretty big for the Championship. I should imagine it will exceed total spending for the majority of sides in the EFL.

Getting in a top cb, midfielder, striker and maybe a winger will be more than enough for me (arguably only the first three will be sufficient.) With those additions, the club really should have enough about them to be up near the top of the division. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Smallbone.

I see. Smallbone has always played in an attacking midfield role. Diallo always a defensive midfield role. If we are relying on Smallbone to run our midfield this season, we are fucked  before we start.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Getting in a top cb, midfielder, striker and maybe a winger will be more than enough for me (arguably only the first three will be sufficient.) With those additions, the club really should have enough about them to be up near the top of the division. 

Obviously signings will depend largely on who leaves, but haven't we go enough wide attackers in Tella, Sulemana, Edozie, Djenepo and AA? 

Just now, Chez said:

I see. Smallbone has always played in an attacking midfield role. Diallo always a defensive midfield role. If we are relying on Smallbone to run our midfield this season, we are fucked  before we start.

Smallbone played there on Saturday, Granted he was trash. But for now we also have JWP who i think will be able to play there too.
If ofcourse West Ham come in for JWP then i'd like to see us bring in Downes. - Don't need more than 2 DMs if we are only planning on playing 1 in a match day squad.

Can't say I'd be that bothered about Lavia going. Not because he isn't a good player, quite the opposite. It's just I accepted about 3 games in that we were probably not going to keep him beyond last season even if we'd stayed up. So there's just an inevitability about it and has had almost a year to sink in.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Yes but I was working in the assumption that one of Tella or Sulemana will leave. 

Gotcha. like everyone else, I am wondering if players like AA and Djenepo will be effective at this lower level. 

I’ve seen absolutely nothing to get in the slightest bit excited about in the first couple of friendly matches. Yes I know it’s friendlies. 
And now I think the exodus of JWP,Lavia,to start with, will really hurt us this coming season. Ok some if the deadwood,Diallo,Lyanco and such like  are just a waste of a shirt number.  
I have very little faith what we will be left with come the beginning of the season. OK we might make a couple of signings…but we’ve made so many dud ones that heavily outweigh any positive ones.

not convinced by Martin…it’ll be more of the same ponderous,unproductive shite yet again. 
we will leak goals and be impotent up front. 
Any new signings have really got to be spot on. 
rinse and repeat for another season. 
I sincerely hope I’m wrong.

Edited by saint lard
Got too depressed at the thought of it.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

49 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

does that mean they have given up on Tella?

If so, good old (not old) Redmond.

Fair play to him for going to Turkey, having a decent season and getting another Prem gig. As one of my very first HCDAJFU (I think it was about 2012), I've always had a soft spot for him.

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

Gotcha. like everyone else, I am wondering if players like AA and Djenepo will be effective at this lower level. 

I'd happily have them in the squad nut we can't be relying on them to come good or we will be in the same position as last year. Regardless of its quality the squad needs a refresh and the players we have brought in so far are just replacing players who aren't really the main problems (Lavia, Perraud or kwp). 

1 minute ago, Chez said:

does that mean they have given up on Tella?

If so, good old (not old) Redmond.

Fair play to him for going to Turkey, having a decent season and getting another Prem gig. As one of my very first HCDAJFU (I think it was about 2012), I've always had a soft spot for him.

Always seemed like a good bloke just a bit weak mentally. 

1 minute ago, saint lard said:

I’ve seen absolutely nothing to get in the slightest bit excited about in the first couple of friendly matches. 
And now I think the exodus of JWP,Lavia,to start with, will really hurt us this coming season. Ok some if the deadwood,Diallo,Lyanco and such like  are just a waste of a shirt number.  
I have very little faith what we will be left with come the beginning of the season. OK we might make a couple of signings…but we’ve made so many dud ones that heavily outweigh any positive ones.

not convinced by Martin…it’ll be more of the same ponderous,unproductive shite yet again. 

Really? You seem to have an intense hatred for a manager who got us two successive promotions.....be nice to have another one to add to the list.

2 minutes ago, saint lard said:

I’ve seen absolutely nothing to get in the slightest bit excited about in the first couple of friendly matches. Yes I know it’s friendlies. 

It's very hard to remodel a side, way of playing and results with so few out of contract players and such a large squad of players that have been ineffective. Might need to have a little patience. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I'd happily have them in the squad nut we can't be relying on them to come good or we will be in the same position as last year. Regardless of its quality the squad needs a refresh and the players we have brought in so far are just replacing players who aren't really the main problems (Lavia, Perraud or kwp). 

You have a point. I think we'd all like a Burnley-like refresh, but they did their sales quite early (helped by keen buyers and relegation clauses that forced their hand price wise) while we have to sit and wait.  

5 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

Really? You seem to have an intense hatred for a manager who got us two successive promotions.....be nice to have another one to add to the list.

Never hate. Just disappointment. But you carry on wearing blinkers,probably the same ones whilst under NAs tenure. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Just now, Chez said:

You have a point. I think we'd all like a Burnley-like refresh, but they did their sales quite early (helped by keen buyers and relegation clauses that forced their hand price wise) while we have to sit and wait.  

I wonder if we will look back at this upcoming season in May and wonder whether we should have sold a few earlier and cheaper. Leicester will be a good comparison this year as they seem to have done a lot already. I can't help but feel like a little disappointed that we dint seem to have used our early relegation to our advantage. 

1 hour ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Smallbone played there on Saturday, Granted he was trash. But for now we also have JWP who i think will be able to play there too.
If of course West Ham come in for JWP then i'd like to see us bring in Downes. - Don't need more than 2 DMs if we are only planning on playing 1 in a match day squad.

What formation will we play in the middle of the park?

It's a while since I saw Smallbone, but when I did he was a complete passenger. I was hoping a season at Stoke will of seen him find his feet and we can benefit this season. Doesn't sound like he has impressed you in the friendlies? 

• Like 1

Well the formation seems to change, but that is just more down to the fluidity of our play i think.
From what i saw thus far is that he likes his solo DM to drop into the middle of the back 3 and the IWB push into midfield.

Then "8" will sit slightly above, but they are more like 10s too, i reckon in an ideal world, RM would have a second charly, but someone with more of a creative sprk and see a pass. a playmaker if you will.

Yeah from what i've seen of smallbone he doesn't look very good at all.. and with 1 yr left on his deal id sell him and promote Kamari Doyle to replace him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I wonder if we will look back at this upcoming season in May and wonder whether we should have sold a few earlier and cheaper. Leicester will be a good comparison this year as they seem to have done a lot already. I can't help but feel like a little disappointed that we dint seem to have used our early relegation to our advantage. 

they haven't done that much. Unlike us, they had loads out of contract. They have then only sold Maddison. Some might say relatively cheaply.

The have bought two players and a got a Man City loanee in. We've brought in two (three if you count Abu).

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Chez said:

they haven't done that much. Unlike us, they had loads out of contract. They have then only sold Maddison. Some might say relatively cheaply.

The have bought two players and a got a Man City loanee in. We've brought in two (three if you count Abu).

4 if you count McNamara

9 minutes ago, Chez said:

Fair enough. I thought they'd done more. I'd still have liked us to do some earlier business ourselves though. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, saint lard said:

Never hate. Just disappointment. But you carry on wearing blinkers,probably the same ones whilst under NAs tenure. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Disappointment in back to back promotions? Our fans are quite something with expectations...

2 hours ago, Chez said:

As in I think there are some expecting us to make ten+ signings judging by social media and what some have said on this thread over recent weeks.

I reckon the big part of our window won’t be players coming in, it’ll be trimming and shifting on the deadwood.

The squad, theoretically, is good enough. Attacking-wise for example, we are very strong compared to other clubs, if our players can find some form then we could be a real threat.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

As in I think there are some expecting us to make ten+ signings judging by social media and what some have said on this thread over recent weeks.

I reckon the big part of our window won’t be players coming in, it’ll be trimming and shifting on the deadwood.

The squad, theoretically, is good enough. Attacking-wise for example, we are very strong compared to other clubs, if our players can find some form then we could be a real threat.

Personally I think getting rid of some of the more corrosive elements is more important than any signings. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Hypothetical; Would you take the squad we have now minus Shea and Manning to start the season with?

So nobody leaves but nobody arrives.

Absolutely not!

We'd be left with a bloated squad, shit keepers, shit strikers, no midfield creativity, players who don't want to be here, players who've been part of the reason we were relegated, etc, etc. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, egg said:

Absolutely not!

We'd be left with a bloated squad, shit keepers, shit strikers, no midfield creativity, players who don't want to be here, players who've been part of the reason we were relegated, etc, etc. 

But you must admit, a lot of our players probably do have a Championship pedigree.

1 hour ago, saint lard said:

Bloody hell why bother getting out of bed in the morning 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

But you must admit, a lot of our players probably do have a Championship pedigree.

And a losing mentality.

Of the current squad I'd only want to keep Tino, Manning, Lavia, Alcaraz, Sulemana, Tella, and Smallbone. 3 of those have recent championship experience. Charles is an unknown quantity. 

Of the rest, most I'd be glad to see the back of, and the remainder I'd want to see replaced - and that includes JWP who I think has been part of the problem and both sides need a fresh start. 

This excludes the kids of course. 

Edited by egg
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I think we’ll see 4-6 depending on outgoings, Id say we’re on 2 right now not counting Abu or the City academy guy (Mcnamara)

The final figure will of course depend on outgoings

Id also bet we’ll be the league’s biggest spenders unless Leeds new owners decide to throw the kitchen sink at it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

i wish we were Leicester 😉

2 hours ago, saint lard said:

Everyone save this post for when we finish second.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Surely a goalkeeper as well given the ones we have are crap. I don’t see us being promoted with bazanu in goal 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

3 hours ago, saint lard said:

I sincerely hope I’m right.

I've corrected it for you. 

Edited by Harry_SFC
  • Haha 1