Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

So, to get this thread back on track, here’s my take on the forward/striker position. I wonder if SR are thinking that in Adams, Armstrong and Tella we’ve got three of the most prolific Championship scorers, plus there’s Alcarez, Sully and Mara to add to that mix, so that group will be enough to fire us back up to the Prem. Plus of course there are the kids like AA who are breaking through.

It’s a bloated squad already and the consensus seems that more players will leave, but who? Lavia? JWP? KWP? Quite possibly, but there’s no clear indication that any of the above forwards/strikers will depart.  So is there room in the squad for another striker that is better than what we have already (in the eyes of SR)? It’s a dilemma because for me, alongside improving attacking play in general, it’s the most pressing concern facing the club and has been for the last three seasons.

3 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

So, to get this thread back on track, here’s my take on the forward/striker position. I wonder if SR are thinking that in Adams, Armstrong and Tella we’ve got three of the most prolific Championship scorers, plus there’s Alcarez, Sully and Mara to add to that mix, so that group will be enough to fire us back up to the Prem. Plus of course there are the kids like AA who are breaking through.

It’s a bloated squad already and the consensus seems that more players will leave, but who? Lavia? JWP? KWP? Quite possibly, but there’s no clear indication that any of the above forwards/strikers will depart.  So is there room in the squad for another striker that is better than what we have already (in the eyes of SR)? It’s a dilemma because for me, alongside improving attacking play in general, it’s the most pressing concern facing the club and has been for the last three seasons.

Fair assessment but with Adams on last year of contract I can see him going.

None of our strikers have the ability to finish their dinner let alone the minimal chances we create.

Maybe Ballard can add that fox in the box we need.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Armstrong and Adams haven’t been able to finish for 2 seasons.  I don’t see how that will improve next season.  I wouldn’t be upset if either left.

9 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

None of our strikers have the ability to finish their dinner let alone the minimal chances we create.

Indeed, but in my view relying on another youngster like Ballard to lead the line will be a critical mistake. We need an experienced, dominating CF to change the dynamic up front - one that knows where and when to move in the box to put away those chances. You know, a bit like Ings!

18 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Salisu appears to be close to a move to Monaco

5 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Armstrong and Adams haven’t been able to finish for 2 seasons.  I don’t see how that will improve next season.  I wouldn’t be upset if either left.

Oh don’t misunderstand me - I completely agree…I’m just surmising how SR will see it given there’s a new Manager supposedly trying new things.  Stats and all that 😏

Edited by Saint Fan CaM

1 minute ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Oh don’t I completely agree…I’m just surmising how SR will see it given there’s a new Manager supposedly trying new things.  Stats and all that 😏

Yesterday’s link did say we would look at Stewart if a forward left so think they have one in mind.

It’s just not easy shifting our other  dead wood and poor squad . It will be loads of loans at end of next month out abroad for peanuts .

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Yes and ABK is looking for an exit too according to some, so will the focus be on bolstering our CB options?

We need a new spine a keeper, centre half to replace Lyanco, Lavia replacement who can also create pick a forward pass and a forward who can finish and lead line . 
But with our bloated squad not going to happen for a while 

Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Yesterday’s link did say we would look at Stewart if a forward left so think they have one in mind.

It’s just not easy shifting our other  dead wood and poor squad . It will be loads of loans at end of next month out abroad for peanuts .

That's the first bit I hope they've got wrong...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

We need a new spine a keeper, centre half to replace Lyanco, Lavia replacement who can also create pick a forward pass and a forward who can finish and lead line . 
But with our bloated squad not going to happen for a while 

Isn't Charles meant/hoped to be the Lavia replacement ?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

We need to overhaul the strikers 

Need someone like Ings who actually runs in the box and can finish....

Not sure you'll get any arguments on here, but that does rely on someone buying the ones we have.

Adams going looks a possibility, but will anyone pay the £15m or whatever we want for him?

Not many recent links to AA or Mara.

Tella will seemingly only depart if Burnley spend proper money on him.

55 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

But unproven worries me will he cope big jump but was thinking more Grimes/Downes who knows system.

Charles has 8 caps for N. Ireland, 4 in Euro qualifiers. Are you suggesting that the Championship represents a step up from Internationals?

3 minutes ago, waylander said:

Charles has 8 caps for N. Ireland, 4 in Euro qualifiers. Are you suggesting that the Championship represents a step up from Internationals?

No but it’s a massive difference playing 8 internationals to a season of what 46 in Championship 

Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, waylander said:

the opposition for his international caps are below so yes i'd say the championship is a step up from most of that opposition

UEFA Nations League C
  Group 2 6/2/22 H Northern Ireland Greece Greece 0:1             11'
  Group 2 6/5/22 A Northern Ireland Cyprus Cyprus 0:0 DM           64'
  Group 2 6/9/22 A Northern Ireland Kosovo Kosovo 3:2 DM           22'
  Group 2 6/12/22 H Northern Ireland Cyprus Cyprus 2:2 DM           59'
  Group 2 9/24/22 H Northern Ireland Kosovo Kosovo 2:1 on the bench
  Group 2 9/27/22 A Northern Ireland Greece Greece 3:1 on the bench
European Qualifiers European Qualifiers
  Group H 3/23/23 A Northern Ireland San Marino San Marino 0:2 AM           90'
  Group H 3/26/23 H Northern Ireland Finland Finland 0:1 AM           79'
  Group H 6/16/23 A Northern Ireland Denmark Denmark 1:0 CM           69'
  Group H 6/19/23 H Northern Ireland Kazakhstan Kazakhstan 0:1 DM           90'
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I believe we are looking at strikers

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I believe we are looking at strikers

I do hope so. It’s been priority number one for 5 transfer windows so I’m glad someone in the recruitment team is maybe looking into it 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Turkish said:

the opposition for his international caps are below so yes i'd say the championship is a step up from most of that opposition

UEFA Nations League C
  Group 2 6/2/22 H Northern Ireland Greece Greece 0:1             11'
  Group 2 6/5/22 A Northern Ireland Cyprus Cyprus 0:0 DM           64'
  Group 2 6/9/22 A Northern Ireland Kosovo Kosovo 3:2 DM           22'
  Group 2 6/12/22 H Northern Ireland Cyprus Cyprus 2:2 DM           59'
  Group 2 9/24/22 H Northern Ireland Kosovo Kosovo 2:1 on the bench
  Group 2 9/27/22 A Northern Ireland Greece Greece 3:1 on the bench
European Qualifiers European Qualifiers
  Group H 3/23/23 A Northern Ireland San Marino San Marino 0:2 AM           90'
  Group H 3/26/23 H Northern Ireland Finland Finland 0:1 AM           79'
  Group H 6/16/23 A Northern Ireland Denmark Denmark 1:0 CM           69'
  Group H 6/19/23 H Northern Ireland Kazakhstan Kazakhstan 0:1 DM           90'

Spot on. It's a massive step up from youth / reserve team to a full blooded Championship season.

If we're using international experience as a measure, then World Cup semi finalist Orsic should have had no problems last season.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

In a similar way to how Lavia was unproven ?

That’s probably straight out of the Semmens Guide , if one youngster is outstanding and makes the grade, then they all will. 

Yes, Lavia was unproven twelve months ago, but the same thinking through the squad didn’t work.

On the subject of Charles though, I’m reasonably optimistic on this one. 

3 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

What we need, probably above all else, is a competent, reliable guy between the sticks. Without that promotion is a pipe dream.

• Like 3

Just now, saintant said:

What we need, probably above all else, is a competent, reliable guy between the sticks. Without that promotion is a pipe dream.

I’m not a Baz fan as such, but we won’t concede a high number of goals in the Championship I reckon. Our biggest and most urgent concern is the lack of goals…it’s been a persistent problem for 3 seasons and the main reason for our relegation IMO. There’s a long way to go to getting it fixed, starting with a revamp of the striker personnel.

• Like 2

For me, the main striker position (assuming we are playing with one central forward/striker with two supporting wide forwards which seems to be the way a lot of teams play) should be priority this close season, as it has the past 2 windows.

Yes, Che and Arma have proven pedigree at this level but they haven't played at this level for a few years and my concern is that our system just does not suit them as proven in the seasons they have been here and not been prolific. Someone who has played in the system Martin wants to adopt and proven to be fairly prolific in doing so should be our aim.

If Che isn't going to sign a new contract then I would rather get circa £15m in from him now than pin any hopes on him doing the business this year and losing him for free next year.

Mara is still young and an unproven entity. I wouldn't get rid of him but do not want to rely upon him as the first choice this season.

Arma I see as being more effective as a wide forward. He is a quick player but he just didn't show enough last season to make me think our system suits him too well and again wouldn't feel confident if he was our first choice striker this season. I wouldn't lose any sleep if we decided to sell him but can't see too many wanting him, especially for the amount we would want for him and the wages he is on.

That leaves Tall Paul and Ballard. Ballard I see in the same light as Mara, young with potential but we shouldn't be relying upon him to be the main main. Tall Paul, for all the excitement I had about his previous goal record, just doesn't look like a fit for us. It definitely highlights the gulf in class between Belgium football and English football. I wouldn't be upset if he wanted to leave and we recouped £10m or so from him. However, he didn't feature as much as I would have thought he would have done (mainly because he didn't show a lot when given the chance) given he was meant to be our saviour striker we had been screaming out for, for the best part of 18 months when he signed in January so whether he deserves another crack at it in the Championship will be determined by his desire to stay and whether he has impressed upon Martin enough in the close season plus whether he will actually fit into our system. We don't play with wingers as such, certainly not people who cross the ball in for a tall stricker to use their bonce which I feel would really be his strength given his height.

I think for the wide forwards we have those already sorted so long as none of the following leave: Tella, Sulemana, Edozie and Amo-Ameyaw I think will all do well at this level. I have been particularly impressed with the glimpses I have seen of Amo-Ameyaw in the couple of friendlies we have played so far. He seems like quite a threat and wants to (and has done) take players on. He is quick and skill full and given a run in the team could do quite well. His turn to leave Cody Gakpo for dust in the last game of the season against Liverpool was filthy. From what we saw of Edozie early season, he looked to want to take players on too and shows good potential. I know he didn't deliver the finished article last season but I personally was not expecting that from him as a kid coming into the Premier League in his first season. I think a year down the the Championship will do him good.

For me, as it stands, any combination of Tella, Sulemana, Edozie and Amo-Ameyaw for those two wide forward slots is an exciting prospect as there is so much pace there which will do teams damage. We just need that cut throat fox in the box striker who can link up with these players well and stick the ball away when given the chance.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I’m not a Baz fan as such, but we won’t concede a high number of goals in the Championship I reckon.

Agree about sorting a striker out, but  that’s a pretty bold prediction….

13 minutes ago, Badger said:

Agree about sorting a striker out, but  that’s a pretty bold prediction….

Yes it is and while we’ll certainly lose some games by more than a goal, my feeling is there’s enough about our defence to cope. What I am more certain about is our historic and current lack of ability to score more goals than the opposing team, which means we don’t win games.

16 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Yes it is and while we’ll certainly lose some games by more than a goal, my feeling is there’s enough about our defence to cope. What I am more certain about is our historic and current lack of ability to score more goals than the opposing team, which means we don’t win games.

I don't think it is one or the other really. Just as our defence will find it easier to cover our goalkeeper, our midfield will find it easier to support our strikers by creating chances.

Remember the vital points that Kelvin won us against Leeds in the promotion season? We just need to strengthen the areas that need strengthening

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer

It makes so much sense to go and get Piroe with 1 year left on his contract, scoring 40 goals under Martin. Sell Adams to the PL to fund it and use Mara and Armstrong for competition. 

Manning, Piroe and Downes would all be able to play Martin-ball immediately. We don’t have any time to waste so they all make a lot of sense to me.

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

It makes so much sense to go and get Piroe with 1 year left on his contract, scoring 40 goals under Martin. Sell Adams to the PL to fund it and use Mara and Armstrong for competition. 

Manning, Piroe and Downes would all be able to play Martin-ball immediately. We don’t have any time to waste so they all make a lot of sense to me.

Of those mentioned Piroe looks the stand out option for a forward.

Stewart coming back from injury despite a good L1 record, would be a bigger risk. Van Hooijdonk might tick a few boxes, mainly being a big Dutch fucker, and we need one of those for promotion (a la Jos*), just hope he doesn’t specialise in scoring on Tuesday nights.

* hoping he’s not the Hoedt of Dutch strikers though if he does join. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

I agree. Could well happen, but we are in the hands of the Prem sides that may or may not buy Adams. 

2 minutes ago, Badger said:

Having mentioned Piroe, Stewart and Van Hooijdonk in an earlier post but didn’t Darren Mowbray rustle up a few players from obscure leagues whilst at Aberdeen ? 

I think they mentioned he picked up Cornet for Burnley and Duk seems to be a decent prospect at Aberdeen.  Meant to look at whether he had any links to Stewart but forgot - I guess he can ask his brother though.

4 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

Sky Sports reporting on the move saying che he has one eye on Euro 2024. 

hahahahahaahaahahahahahahahaha

16 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

Sky Sports reporting on the move saying che he has one eye on Euro 2024. 

hahahahahaahaahahahahahahahaha

Why wouldn't he? Scotland have won 4/4 in their qualification group so seems pretty realistic they will be there and if he is playing semi regular PL football then he is a nailed starter for them.

• Like 1

Just now, Dusic said:

Why wouldn't he? Scotland have won 4/4 in their qualification group so seems pretty realistic they will be there and if he is playing semi regular PL football then he is a nailed starter for them.

oh sh*t yeah, I forgot he was Scottish 

Edited by SotonianWill