Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

6 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

I always liked SA, despite some of his detractors on here. It is difficult to pick out any player from the last couple of seasons who have excelled but he has has done as much as most and a lot more that some. I wish him all the best for the future,

Nailed it MOG. A silky player at his best and one of the few, if only players who was always looking forward and playing on the front foot. There was also that freaky record he held where Saints hadn't one a game without him playing for about 2 years. Unfortunately, he didnt seem to fully return to his best form after he caught COVID. 

• Like 12

5 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

Have you swallowed a coaching book?

’Initiating the press’ - I know that means he closes down the opposition when he’s near them.

’Double pivot?’ Pray tell what that fucking hipster term means.

Now that you ask yes, I got up to FA level 2/Uefa C before I realised the pathways into a significant career were infinitely small even though I know a few Ex prem and England coaches that could help me along… it simply wasn’t enough, so I got another job

Now I’ll stop being a patronising prick but honestly these terms aren’t anything new really..

when you press you want the furthest forward player towards the ball to ‘trigger’ the rest of the team that should notice this and close down opposition players/passing lanes accordingly

A double pivot is basically two DMs (No.6s) which tend to have slightly different roles but effectively are just there to provide defensive cover for attacking FBs and provide passing lanes from deep… we’ve used them pretty much since Ralph arrived

• Like 7

53 minutes ago, lambtiss said:

Nailed it MOG. A silky player at his best and one of the few, if only players who was always looking forward and playing on the front foot. There was also that freaky record he held where Saints hadn't one a game without him playing for about 2 years. Unfortunately, he didnt seem to fully return to his best form after he caught COVID. 

Pretty much bang on.. when teams started to realise they could play deep and play over our press it was often Stu that had that extra bit of ability to play through them, without him we seemed (and still do) lost

He hasn’t been the same for a while and certainly had his poorest season last year, Im assuming we saw Aribo as the player to replace that, he has the ability but absolutely zero application 

• Like 1

Just now, Turkish said:

Pulisic to AC Milan for £20m, puts those saying £40m for Ward Prowse into perspective.

Yep. The expectation people have is crazy. JWP will go for nothing like £40m. Lavia won't go for £50m (well he may with add ons). KWP won't go for £20m+. Nor will Tella. Nor will ABK. 

9 minutes ago, egg said:

Yep. The expectation people have is crazy. JWP will go for nothing like £40m. Lavia won't go for £50m (well he may with add ons). KWP won't go for £20m+. Nor will Tella. Nor will ABK. 

yeah but, no but, Sports Republic are rich and this is the greatest era in our history....

sod FFP in the the EFL...

15 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Pulisic to AC Milan for £20m, puts those saying £40m for Ward Prowse into perspective.

Pulisic has been absolute tosh since replacing hazard and has barely played. £20m seems reasonable. 

JWP has barely missed a minute in the EPL since pulisic arrived.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

Pulisic has been absolute tosh since replacing hazard and has barely played. £20m seems reasonable. 

JWP has barely missed a minute in the EPL since pulisic arrived.

And Chelsea wanted rid of Pulisic (and needed rid too with FFP and their squad size) whereas we want to keep JWP. Supply and demand

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Are we now complaining about the fact that we're happy to put high valuations on our players to either fend people off or get a good deal? 

The "we" seems to be people on here. 

The club needs to find a balance. They can't have their pants pulled down, but equally they can't ask for daft money and leave us with a bloated squad, with the wages to go with it. 

4 minutes ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

And Chelsea wanted rid of Pulisic (and needed rid too with FFP and their squad size) whereas we want to keep JWP. Supply and demand

We've told him he can go. 

Just now, egg said:

The "we" seems to be people on here. 

The club needs to find a balance. They can't have their pants pulled down, but equally they can't ask for daft money and leave us with a bloated squad, with the wages to go with it. 

I don't disagree. However given the situations, I don't see how Lavia at £50m or Tella/ABK at £20m+ constitute as daft money by any means.

It's only mid-July, if the board are happy to see if we can get favourable deals rather than dropping the prices to suit immediately, it's nothing short of a good thing. It'd be nice to know who is going to be in the squad for RM as soon as possible, but the backbone shown with these high valuations may also lead us to keeping a few players we otherwise would't. 

If we can't see the difference between the Pulisic situation at Chelsea and the Ward-Prowse one here then truly what is the point?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

There is a difference between allowing a player to go if the right offer comes in (JWP) and actively being desperate to sell them (Pulisic).

how are they desperate to sell? Chelsea are insanely loaded

6 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I don't disagree. However given the situations, I don't see how Lavia at £50m or Tella/ABK at £20m+ constitute as daft money by any means.

It's only mid-July, if the board are happy to see if we can get favourable deals rather than dropping the prices to suit immediately, it's nothing short of a good thing. It'd be nice to know who is going to be in the squad for RM as soon as possible, but the backbone shown with these high valuations may also lead us to keeping a few players we otherwise would't. 

If we can't see the difference between the Pulisic situation at Chelsea and the Ward-Prowse one here then truly what is the point?

It's always daft to hold out for money you won't get when you want to sell. 

If we get those fees, I'll stand corrected, but I don't think we will. 

2 minutes ago, egg said:

It's always daft to hold out for money you won't get when you want to sell. 

If we get those fees, I'll stand corrected, but I don't think we will. 

With Tella it has to be get a highly inflated fee or simply hold onto him. 

Given Liverpool's current situation with midfielders, it'd be madness to bend to their demands anytime soon on Lavia as well. Things would change if he actively starts looking to force the move, but we haven't had any indications of that yet. Partey to Saudi rumours are heating up also, so that could lead to Arsenal joining the race again as well.

Absolutely no idea what happens with KWP/ABK/Salisu, as I'd imagine they're likely to be the three pushing for an exit more than most, but I'd be disappointed with less than £20m for ABK as a 21 year old German international with 3 years left on his contract. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Pulisic has been poor, but worse, often unavailable.

An injury plagued, poor performing player earning £150,000 a week, on the last year of his contract is going to require a smaller transfer fee than a player who earns £100,000 a week, is a club captain, is never injured or needing rest, has consistently played at a good level and has multiple years left on their contract - even with the age difference.

The last year of contract is obviously the biggest factor and its tiring seeing people quoting the Maddison or Pulisic transfers, who had one year left on their contract, to what we want for JWP.

• Like 2

In contrast to Pulisic, Joao Pedro has cost £10m more after 11 Championship goals last season. Richarlison went for £60m last summer and there are currently reports that Brennan Johnson is being rated at £50m after 8 Premier League goals.

57 minutes ago, egg said:

I think we will need to sell Lavia for more than 40 give the man city sell on clause. Jwp should be 25 with addons perhaps for 5 so 30 in total. 

KWP is 15, Tella we could easily get 20 for and ABK should absolutely go for 20+. 

That's £120 million and I think that is absolutely realistic. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, AlexLaw76 said:

Does not really suggest they are "desperate" to sell.

Well I suppose they probably aren’t desperate in similarity to Leicesters financial doom but I think their intentions are to shift some of their duff players so they can ‘rebuild’

Frankly though… after spending 600 (or 700 depending on when the Nkunku deal is accounted) last year I find it mental that the media is happy to hype up this years ‘chelsea rebuild’

44 minutes ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

There is a difference between allowing a player to go if the right offer comes in (JWP) and actively being desperate to sell them (Pulisic).

I was responding to the comment that we want to keep him. That's inconsistent with him being told he can leave. I have no opinion about Pulisic. 

17 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I think we will need to sell Lavia for more than 40 give the man city sell on clause. Jwp should be 25 with addons perhaps for 5 so 30 in total. 

KWP is 15, Tella we could easily get 20 for and ABK should absolutely go for 20+. 

That's £120 million and I think that is absolutely realistic. 

I'm with you on JWP for £25m ish (my point was that it'll be nothing like £40m), and I also think Lavia will be £40m ish (my point was it won't be £50m). I can't agree with you re ABK...he's made of glass, or Tella...let's see what they go for. 

2 minutes ago, egg said:

I'm with you on JWP for £25m ish (my point was that it'll be nothing like £40m), and I also think Lavia will be £40m ish (my point was it won't be £50m). I can't agree with you re ABK...he's made of glass, or Tella...let's see what they go for. 

Tella was one of the top attackers in the championship last year and is a young English player on a long contract. I can't see how he isn't worth at least 20. If we were going to accept 15 then he would have gone by now. ABK is a young German international on a long contract. I'd be amazed if we couldn't get 20+ for him from a European team. I suppose that one is more arguable given he's had a few injuries. 

8 minutes ago, benjii said:

JWP a way better performer than Pulisic though? He's been generally shite.

is he? He’s been consistent for a crap team I’ll give you that. 

Pulisic is a 24 years old champions league winner with 65 international caps and goals. He’s just coming into his prime. With a good 6-7 years ahead of him. 

8 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Tella was one of the top attackers in the championship last year and is a young English player on a long contract. I can't see how he isn't worth at least 20. If we were going to accept 15 then he would have gone by now. ABK is a young German international on a long contract. I'd be amazed if we couldn't get 20+ for him from a European team. I suppose that one is more arguable given he's had a few injuries. 

Let's resume when they're both sold... hopefully it's as much as you hope for, but I don't see it.