Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

2 hours ago, Ribtickler said:

Why is this annoying people?  It's no different to what many owners have done, Watford etc and to some extent now our owners......own several clubs, move players around to save money, get more to spend etc.

Oh is it because you have issues with the Saudis?  and their "human rights"?  No one says the same when we get Chinese owners, American owners (who if you are being politcal have probably contributed to the biggest issues ever in the middle east), Russians when they were allowed or any other dodgy multi millionaires who probably have shit on people to amass their fortunes...

Smacks of jealousy really, im sure if we were owned by Saudis and doing the same you'd be all for it.....massive yawnfest...FOOTBALL IS ABOUT MONEY AND WON'T EVER CHANGE

That's all i say on the matter. 

Watford etc and even us are different because you’re still constrained by FFP, albeit it is a work around.. for instance we ‘could’ get Goztepe to buy Che Adams for 30m but it’ll effect Goztepe’s FFP levels eventually

The issue with the Saudi involvement in Newcastle and the SPL is they could effectively allow any or even all of the Saudi clubs to buy Newcastle deadwood at inflated prices which then allows NUFC to increase their FFP thresholds

The other crap you’ve waffled on about is just laughable whataboutery you read on the internet so im not even going to bother responding 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I just find it funny Messi going to the MLS. Ronaldo going to the Middle East. 

Both for big final pay days, and deep down they must know the calibre of players they’re playing with is piss poor. 
(At least up until the recent Saudi Summer Sale).

It's basically semi-retirement, ever since the days of Beckham doing it fifteen years ago (or whenever he went there). Go a bit further back and the likes of Pele were heading over there as their careers drew to a close.

It's all silly money but I guess if I had the hypothetical opportunity it wouldn't be too difficult to choose playing in the USA rather than the Middle East. Certainly for the likes of lesser talents such as Bradley Wright-Phillips, it must have provided an attractive alternative to bumbling around the lower divisions of England.

I remember Gazza ended up at Burnley at one point as he neared retirement, but had he been a bit younger, perhaps he might have chosen to go to the MLS instead.

Edited by Ted Bates Statue

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

60 years later: "I'd like to buy a house please. Oh I don't have any money but my grandad had morals and principles. Do you accept that?"

Ethics are all well and good but I'd rather the knowledge that my family was set for generations to come.

Wonderful attitude 

1 hour ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Watford etc and even us are different because you’re still constrained by FFP, albeit it is a work around.. for instance we ‘could’ get Goztepe to buy Che Adams for 30m but it’ll effect Goztepe’s FFP levels eventually

The issue with the Saudi involvement in Newcastle and the SPL is they could effectively allow any or even all of the Saudi clubs to buy Newcastle deadwood at inflated prices which then allows NUFC to increase their FFP thresholds

The other crap you’ve waffled on about is just laughable whataboutery you read on the internet so im not even going to bother responding 

I pretty much summed it up to perfection. You just don’t like it because it’s not your club.

100 percent I’m done saying anymore on this odious topic. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Chewy said:

Wonderful attitude 

I know a lot of people who’ve gone to the Middle East because they were offered more money than they’d earn in Europe. I very nearly did it myself once, that doesn’t mean I or they support the politics of the country concerned.

How far do you take this, do you refuse to use any kind of powered transport because you’re likely financing a Middle Eastern regime?

6 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Don't get the hate for Redmond personally. He would have been head and shoulders above any of the shite last season.

Excellent revisionism, he'd have been head and shoulders at cutting back and laying it off to the fullback and then actually running past players twice in the whole season to score. 

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Excellent revisionism, he'd have been head and shoulders at cutting back and laying it off to the fullback and then actually running past players twice in the whole season to score. 

Miles better than Aribo, Edozie, Elyonoussi & Adam Armstrong… For all his faults, at least he was a lower premier league level player. He got goals and assists semi-regularly, plus seemed like he gave a shit about the club. 

None of the above is revisionist, it was obvious. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

Miles better than Aribo, Edozie, Elyonoussi & Adam Armstrong… For all his faults, at least he was a lower premier league level player. He got goals and assists semi-regularly, plus seemed like he gave a shit about the club. 

He scored three league goals in his last two years here. He was barely an improvement on any of those other players and even if he was, that’s scarcely a legitimate brag. There are very few players from the last couple of years I’d be sad to see leave and Redmond wasn’t one of them.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

Goals semi regularly? 

He got 1 in 27 PL appearances in 21/22

He got 2 in 29 PL appearances 20/21

Joe Aribo and Adam Armstrong both got 2 PL goals last season so they actually had a better or as good as return as your "semi regular" goal scorer Redmond over his last 2 seasons with us. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

22 goals and 21 assists in 201 appearances. If by regularly you mean a goal and assist for every 10 games he played then sure. 

I'd also disagree that he's miles better than Edozie. Edozies minutes last season add up to the equivalent of 6 full matches and he looked very dangerous, admittedly it didn't translate to goal involvements but that's a very small sample size. 

• Like 2

Always wanted him to work out due to the passion he showed which so many others lacked, but my god is he a mediocre footballer and a disaster waiting to happen at all times.

Would've done well to get a few million for him and Orsic from Turkey. Hopefully it's not over there...

Didnt realise Redmond is still in his 20s, had him being older than that. 

Yes he was very frustrating at times, but that was mainly because us fans knew what he was capable of. He was excellent during the season under Puel and Ralphs first season and a half. It definitely tailed off towards the end, but then as a club we've tailed off in recent years also.

Yes he would have likely been a better option than the likes of Aribo, Ely, AA, Edozie etc last season but it wouldnt have made any difference with Mad Nate and Poundshop Pep in charge.

Interesting to see if Burnley pursue this and how he might get on under Kompany. Personally think his PL days are past him, but he good be a solid squad player for them.

3 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

60 years later: "I'd like to buy a house please. Oh I don't have any money but my grandad had morals and principles. Do you accept that?"

Ethics are all well and good but I'd rather the knowledge that my family was set for generations to come.

Bullshit. 
I’ll do anything for my kids to give them a good start in life, but I couldn’t give a fuck about kids in my family in 60 years.  For all I know, they might be arseholes.

I don’t believe that shit from sportsmen either.  They are just greedy fuckers with no principles.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

I know a lot of people who’ve gone to the Middle East because they were offered more money than they’d earn in Europe. I very nearly did it myself once, that doesn’t mean I or they support the politics of the country concerned.

How far do you take this, do you refuse to use any kind of powered transport because you’re likely financing a Middle Eastern regime?

To be fair, you’re not a multi-millionaire who has already got more cash than you could ever spend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wade Garrett said:

Bullshit. 
I’ll do anything for my kids to give them a good start in life, but I couldn’t give a fuck about kids in my family in 60 years.  For all I know, they might be arseholes.

I don’t believe that shit from sportsmen either.  They are just greedy fuckers with no principles.

1 hour ago, Wade Garrett said:

To be fair, you’re not a multi-millionaire who has already got more cash than you could ever spend.

All you're doing is drawing lines in the sand which, as far as I can tell, are completely arbitrary according to your own personal beliefs. Where exactly is the threshold for how much a person is allowed to earn before you can start questioning their morals? Footballers can already earn more money than they will ever need in the PL, thanks to a gargantuan TV deal involving £5bn from overseas broadcasters, including some in the ME, China and Burma. Surely they should all leave and earn their money in a more honest league without the dubious revenues?

2 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

Bullshit. 

And I share those sentiments about other people in the world currently.

You look after the people currently alive, I'll look after future generations of my bloodline. Everybody's happy. 

Edited by Bad Wolf
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Verbal said:

Sorry, what are we talking about now?

I don't know, but with phrases like "future bloodline" being whipped out, I can only assume we're worshipping a new vampire novel. And I'm here for it... 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Don't get the hate for Redmond personally. He would have been head and shoulders above any of the shite last season.

Disagree he would have fitted perfectly. He was never the bravest player and usually took the easy option ie turn backwards and play a sideways pass. Quick to blame others too if I recall. It’s funny how players get better after they leave. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Or selfish?

Like 99.999% of the population of Earth then.

I don't see how it's selfish anyway because I'm not JUST thinking about myself. I'm simply looking out for a different group of people.

7 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Disagree he would have fitted perfectly. He was never the bravest player and usually took the easy option ie turn backwards and play a sideways pass. Quick to blame others too if I recall. It’s funny how players get better after they leave. 

That I agree on. 

6 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

All you're doing is drawing lines in the sand which, as far as I can tell, are completely arbitrary according to your own personal beliefs. Where exactly is the threshold for how much a person is allowed to earn before you can start questioning their morals? Footballers can already earn more money than they will ever need in the PL, thanks to a gargantuan TV deal involving £5bn from overseas broadcasters, including some in the ME, China and Burma. Surely they should all leave and earn their money in a more honest league without the dubious revenues?

Are the purpose of TV deals from other countries to try and sportswash clean their horrendous human rights records?

Is sport being used to sportswash the horrendous human rights in the Middle East - yes.

Is Jim going out there to increase his £50k salary for a while going to cover up the horrendous human rights, and is it money that Jim could do without - no.

There’s my personal line in the sand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Like 99.999% of the population of Earth then.

I don't see how it's selfish anyway because I'm not JUST thinking about myself. I'm simply looking out for a different group of people.

Sorry to be a little political on a football forum but unfortunately sportswashing has meant football is now involved in politics. How about sparing a thought for the persecuted in Saudi and of course that poor woman whose fiancée was chopped up and then destroyed with a bone saw? 

Edited by Fitzhugh Fella

2 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

How about sparing a thought for the persecuted in Saudi and of course that poor woman whose fiancée was chopped up with a bone saw? 

It's players willingness to take their money that's the discussion, and any player offered a chunk more money to play for a Saudi backed will doubtless take it. Fans on a forum taking the moral high ground is futile. 

Anyways, as has been said, this is massively off topic so I'll say no more.