Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

Just now, saintant said:

How did we have a head start? I don't understand that.

Because we've know for a long time we were going down. Fact check, but we were officially relegated 3-4 weeks before the others.  

• Like 1

Hopefully Lyanco going early opens us up to bring somebody in more suited for RM’s game sooner rather than later. Especially seeing as we’ll likely lose 3 more so it’d be nice to get ahead of that.

Bednarek, Stephens, NEW and Simeu be enough for the season? Or perhaps another? 

Just now, Saint Matty 76 said:

Hopefully Lyanco going early opens us up to bring somebody in more suited for RM’s game sooner rather than later. Especially seeing as we’ll likely lose 3 more so it’d be nice to get ahead of that.

Bednarek, Stephens, NEW and Simeu be enough for the season? Or perhaps another? 

He's nowhere near good enough. If we have to rely on him for any period of time next season, we're in big trouble. 

I'd like us to look at bringing 2 CB's or a CB who can fill in at DM.. Hasn't Charles played CB a few times for City youth team? Perhaps he could act as the 4th CB.. 

2 minutes ago, Dman said:

He's nowhere near good enough. If we have to rely on him for any period of time next season, we're in big trouble. 

I'd like us to look at bringing 2 CB's or a CB who can fill in at DM.. Hasn't Charles played CB a few times for City youth team? Perhaps he could act as the 4th CB.. 

Yep, pretty sure Charles played CB against Brentford when he came on for City in May. Bree and Manning have both operated as wide CB’s as well.

Don’t have much clue about Simeu myself, but thought he’d had a good few loans at L1/L2.

Would’ve liked Callum Doyle but Leicester got there first.

28 minutes ago, Dman said:

Unlikely. £40m is a huge amount for any championship side, such is the gulf in finances between the relegated PL sides and other championship sides. By accepting a little less early in the window, its allowed them to build a side early. That £10m the might have budged on, will potentially turn to £50+m when they get promoted. 

They've packed their side with experience and seem to have a decent core of younger players still there. 

Its really disappointing we haven't yet been able to move on the likes of Che, KWP, ABK, Salisu etc. who are better players and will get PL / top league interest. Let alone the weaker players, like Perraud, Diallo, Djenepo, Mara, Lyanco etc. who are just clogging up the squad with averageness and probably have little appetite to play in the champ.

We had a head start to build a championship squad, but seemingly are now loosing ground because realistically we cannot bring anyone in, without others leaving. We risk missing out on targets because we're not in a position to bring anyone in just yet. 

Had we been able to shift, ABK, Lyanco, Salisu already, would we have been in for Doyle? Who knows but i'd like to think so. 

Id like to think if we sell our better players late in the window then the 4-5 championship games they do play in means we have a better chance of winning. Unless of course you are going to give some reason why a midfield with Lavia and JWP is worse than charles and a some other random championship player that we could replace them with. Il await for the "they wont try as they wont want to get injured reasoning" but lets be honest  im not sure either of those players would play at less than 100%. 

10 minutes ago, Dman said:

I think we want to bring 2 new CBs in, quite easily see us selling ABK, Salisu and DCC, so potentially 3 unless Simeu is brought through as that 5th, But Bree can also play CB, so can Charles ans Manning.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SaintsFan86 said:

I think we want to bring 2 new CBs in, quite easily see us selling ABK, Salisu and DCC, so potentially 3 unless Simeu is brought through as that 5th, But Bree can also play CB, so can Charles ans Manning.

Forgot all about DCC - another we desperately need to shift. 

2 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

Id like to think if we sell our better players late in the window then the 4-5 championship games they do play in means we have a better chance of winning. Unless of course you are going to give some reason why a midfield with Lavia and JWP is worse than charles and a some other random championship player that we could replace them with. Il await for the "they wont try as they wont want to get injured reasoning" but lets be honest  im not sure either of those players would play at less than 100%. 

Genuinely, i think we could line up with our strongest 11 from last season and we wouldn't gain promotion. Individually they might be decent players, but as a squad, they are mentally weak and lack any class. They need to move on and we need them to move on. 

RE your example above, Lavia makes a real difference to us but I think JWP is actually a massive problem. Saturday showed the difference in class between the 2. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Dman said:

Genuinely, i think we could line up with our strongest 11 from last season and we wouldn't gain promotion. Individually they might be decent players, but as a squad, they are mentally weak and lack any class. They need to move on and we need them to move on. 

selection, formation, playing style, fitness, confidence, morale...lot of things required in addition to mental strength. Some of those items don't need new players, some perhaps do. 

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Chez said:

I know the two transfers are not the same, but Mason Mount went for £60m, while Maddison went for £40m. Both are good players. Mount has 30 odd caps for England, Maddison 3, so maybe I am mistaken, but is there really a £20m difference between the two? If not, then it's not surprising that transfer got done relatively quickly in comparison to say Lavia.

If they had held out for £50m, would they be in the same position as us - waiting to see who blinks first. Possibly.

Perhaps Leicester's need/urgency for the cash was greater than ours. However, will that extra £10m (they might have got in) to spend on fees/wages make the difference come the end of the season? Or will the extra time they have `earned' to get the team organised be more beneficial?   

Leicester need the money as they are genuinely staring down the loaded barrel of FFP and general cash flow issues

They’re a mess

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Leicester need the money as they are genuinely staring down the loaded barrel of FFP and general cash flow issues

They’re a mess

so you keep saying, yet they keep signing players... 

Trying to make sense of our CB situation:

1. Bednarek - I think he stays as first choice. Leadership qualities came out towards the end of last season. I saw him giving one of his new pep talks to Lavia before he came on at Goztepe too.

2. Stephens - After playing PL footy last season, his expectation would be to start or surely he would want to leave. I remain unconvinced but hoping this is maybe his level? He does have some leadership qualities.

3. Lyanco - Off to Besiktas. Thank god,

4. Salisu - 1 year left and linked with Monaco and Everton recently. I 100% expect him to be sold.

5. DCC - Lost his place in the Croatia national team, struggled to hold down a place in our team last season. Also fully expect him to leave. 

6. Bella-Kotchap - National team squad  player for Germany already. Bags of potential but fitness is an issue. He will likely be going back to Germany. I wonder if that £25m release clause is too high?

Martin may play 3 at the back, we will need 5 CBs or 4 with Charles/Bree/Manning making up that 5th back up if we have injuries. 

So I make it Bednarek, Stephens and possibly (but unlikely) Bella-Kotchap. We will need to sign two. Not sure if Holgate being the only addition would fill me with confidence. Other links that haven’t moved elsewhere yet are Cabango, Wood and Edwards.

Would Stephens, Bednarek, Edwards and Holgate be strong enough? I think I’d take that.

• Like 1

Just now, Dman said:

so you keep saying, yet they keep signing players... 

If you’re referring to Doyle that would be the one they got on loan that they couldn’t agree on the buy clause ? Because they couldn’t afford it ?

Or Winks that came in to replace Tielemans ?

Or Coady who looks like is replacing Evens ?

Yeah doesn’t add up does it……

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Smirking_Saint said:

If you’re referring to Doyle that would be the one they got on loan that they couldn’t agree on the buy clause ? Because they couldn’t afford it ?

Or Winks that came in to replace Tielemans ?

Or Coady who looks like is replacing Evens ?

Yeah doesn’t add up does it……

They've signed a keeper today as well. Not sure what your point is around x replacing y though. 

They've signed a top CB, proven at this level on loan with the option to buy.. sounds like a decent deal to me. 

54 minutes ago, Dman said:

RE your example above, Lavia makes a real difference to us but I think JWP is actually a massive problem. Saturday showed the difference in class between the 2. 

Ok so you think last seasons squad isn't good enough to gain promotion and therefore clearly not good enough to do anything but go down bottom of the league last season?  if that's the case are you saying whoever was manager had no chance and therefore not at fault? Making that assumption i wonder if i searched your posts would there be any calling for RH, Mad Nate or Selles head which would be pointless? 

Edited by wild-saint
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Amazing. In 2016 the club were idiots for selling Mané ‘too early’ because if we’d waited we’d have triggered a massive bidding war and got an extra £20m. Now the club are idiots for not selling our best players quickly enough because we need to know how much money we have available and to have time to spend it accordingly.

Indeed - and don't forget about when we sell early we are idiots because other clubs then know how much money we got, and every player we do bring in costs more...

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

We looked a shadow of the team without him… you literally cannot have 11 players all attempting to ‘play killer passes’ etc, you need somebody to take the pressure off and give us the bedrock to progress from

There is a reason good No.6’s are expensive, they are an absolute prerequisite to most.. if not all modern tactics

Lavia was probably out biggest asset In ‘affecting’ results, in the sense that we were completely uncohesive without him

Everyone kind of danced around the main point I was making. Not who is the better centre midfielder or how lavia will be in a good team. 

last season we were a shit team that conceded a lot of goals and had very little creativity.. lavia as good as he is can’t stop a leaky defence by himself. So I don’t see how you think he affected results more then jwp 

Jwp is No Matt le  tissier but he’s the closest thing to a talisman we had last season, the majority of our points jwp was more important then lavia 

there’s a reason he won player of the season by 71 percent if it was as clear cut as you say that wouldnt of happened 

I’m honestly not running lavia down here and we all know he will play for a big club and be one of the best midfielders in the world , but he wasn’t as important in winning points for us as jwp 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

Ok so you think last seasons squad isnt good enough to gain promotion and therefore clearly not good enough to do anything but go down bottom of the league?  if thats the case are you saying whoever was manager had no chance and therefore not at fault? Making that assumption i wonder if i searched your posts would there be any calling for RH, Mad Nate or Selles head which would be pointless? 

yes, because there is absolutely no in between is there. Either we gain promotion or go down.. good point mate, you've done me 👍

25 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

1. Bednarek - I think he stays as first choice. Leadership qualities came out towards the end of last season. I saw him giving one of his new pep talks to Lavia before he came on at Goztepe too.

2. Stephens - After playing PL footy last season, his expectation would be to start or surely he would want to leave. I remain unconvinced but hoping this is maybe his level? He does have some leadership qualities.

4. Salisu - 1 year left and linked with Monaco and Everton recently. I 100% expect him to be sold.

5. DCC - Lost his place in the Croatia national team, struggled to hold down a place in our team last season. Also fully expect him to leave. 

6. Bella-Kotchap - National team squad  player for Germany already. Bags of potential but fitness is an issue. He will likely be going back to Germany. I wonder if that £25m release clause is too high?

Martin may play 3 at the back, we will need 5 CBs or 4 with Charles/Bree/Manning making up that 5th back up if we have injuries. 

So I make it Bednarek, Stephens and possibly (but unlikely) Bella-Kotchap. We will need to sign two. Not sure if Holgate being the only addition would fill me with confidence. Other links that haven’t moved elsewhere yet are Cabango, Wood and Edwards.

Would Stephens, Bednarek, Edwards and Holgate be strong enough? I think I’d take that.

Bednarek is probably the best at actually defending, but is poor on the ball. Given our likely tactics he’s a concern. 

I’ve said before that I think any of the 6 (5 now ref Lyanco?) are fine for the championship (not great, just fine) but none of them except potentially ABK are Premier league level. Salisu could have been but I agree he’s 100% leaving.

Id therefore like us to improve here but it’s not a top priority IMHO. 
Priorities for me are 1) a cf and 2) a captain (cm or cb). And that’s irrespective of JWP leaving to be honest. JWP can keep the armband if he stays but we need a leader.

Keeper would be great, beyond that I’m not too concerned for now until we know who else leaves.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Very depressing. Can't stand bednarek, really hoping he's got rid of. 

Interested to see us linked with Holgate, someone who seemed high potential but has fallen away. Think we need someone with some physicality too(DCC could offer that but seems like he's going to be a bust)

Edited by Baird of the land

5 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Very depressing. Can't stand bednarek, really hoping he's got rid of. 

Interested to see us linked with Holgate, someone who seemed high potential but has fallen away.

Find myself falling into the trap of hoping these players will just be significantly better in this league, however the lack of suitability to our possession based style is a huge concern.

5 minutes ago, Dman said:

yes, because there is absolutely no in between is there. Either we gain promotion or go down.. good point mate, you've done me 👍

Sorry, I meant the squad wasn't good enough last season to do anything but go down and  if that's the case are you saying whoever was manager had no chance and therefore not at fault? 

7 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

Sorry, I meant the squad wasn't good enough last season to do anything but go down and  if that's the case are you saying whoever was manager had no chance and therefore not at fault? 

We've been on the decline for many years now. The rot of having a losing mentality has been getting deeper for 2-3 seasons. 

It would have taken something pretty special to turn things around for any manager imo, let alone midseason. 

• Like 2

Stephens is the only centre back I’d actually keep if given the choice. Has the right attitude and I think he will be good in the champ. 

The rest are awful, have terrible attitudes or  a combination of both. But I don’t think it would be hard for us to improve on any of them based on last couple of years worth of evidence. 

4 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

Stephens is the only centre back I’d actually keep if given the choice. Has the right attitude and I think he will be good in the champ. 

The rest are awful, have terrible attitudes or  a combination of both. But I don’t think it would be hard for us to improve on any of them based on last couple of years worth of evidence. 

Its very hard to judge alot of our players those who only came in last season and had to endure Nate and Ruben's masterclass coaching. DCC and ABK would comfortably be some of the best CBs in the championship if they're given a chance to work under a good coach in an efficient system.

However, I cant see ABK being here by the end of the window. His potential and the fact hes featured for the German national team means he'll be in high demand.

DCC may stay but again wouldnt be surprised to see him go (probably follow his mate to Turkey).

Salisu checked out months ago and had recurring 'injuries' when we needed him most. Hopefully hes sold to Monaco imminently.

Agree that Stephens would be a good asset in the championship. Probably most suitable for RM's system as hes comfortable with the ball at his feet.

Would be surprised to see Bednarek stay. As a regular international he'll not want to be playing second tier and will be actively looking a move with Euro 2024 next year.

Simeu's loans have been to League 2 only. Would need to prove himself at League 1 before being considered a squad option with us.

Gut feeling - Bednarek, Salisu and ABK to follow Lyanco out the door. Hopefully we can bring two new CBs to complement Stephens and DCC

• Like 3

I remember DCC putting some good performances under Jones, and then Jones said to the press that he was telling DCC he was a defender rather than a footballer.  DCC went right off form after that!  I think he's potentially a great player for us, as long as his attitude is right

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dman said:

^^^ This all day long! 👍 But mostly in relation to the attack minded players…the ones supposedly scoring the goals!

9 minutes ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Jonny Evans has signed a short term deal with United to let him play in pre-season games after leaving Leicester. Assume he's keeping fit before finding a more permanent arrangement.

Feel that Evans could be a good addition for Saints this season, particularly as we have assembled a clutch of Irish youngsters.

1 hour ago, goodymatt said:

Find myself falling into the trap of hoping these players will just be significantly better in this league, however the lack of suitability to our possession based style is a huge concern.

It's been 6 years since we had a manager who cared about possession so it's no surprise we have players who aren't particularly suited to it.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

I remember DCC putting some good performances under Jones, and then Jones said to the press that he was telling DCC he was a defender rather than a footballer.  DCC went right off form after that!  I think he's potentially a great player for us, as long as his attitude is right

That's right, mad Nate, motivational masterclass.  I always rated DCC and wanted him at Saints long before he arrived.  Would love him to stick around and come good but think he sees his future elsewhere, likely under the Anatolian sun. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dman said:

They've signed a keeper today as well. Not sure what your point is around x replacing y though. 

They've signed a top CB, proven at this level on loan with the option to buy.. sounds like a decent deal to me. 

Doyle is a great CB, and I do think he could of done well here… there is no option though, as they couldn’t afford it

Its a straight loan 

1 hour ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Jonny Evans has signed a short term deal with United to let him play in pre-season games after leaving Leicester. Assume he's keeping fit before finding a more permanent arrangement.

Do United have a few injury issues at CB? I wondered what's in it for them. I guess they play a hell of a lot of friendlies to keep the money rolling in.

I'd of thought Evans was looking for a Prem gig otherwise he'd of signed with Leicester. Big loss for them. 

3 hours ago, Dman said:

Because we've know for a long time we were going down. Fact check, but we were officially relegated 3-4 weeks before the others.  

Weird logic. So what could we do once we were definitely relegated that Leicester and Leeds couldn't?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

That's right, mad Nate, motivational masterclass.  I always rated DCC and wanted him at Saints long before he arrived.  Would love him to stick around and come good but think he sees his future elsewhere, likely under the Anatolian sun. 

I also thought he could be good, although with a nagging worry about his lack of pace. He turned out to be slower than I thought. I'd imagine he would be fine in the championship, but we doubt we will find out.

4 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

I know it’s Footy Insider but Newcastle’s interest in Tino isn’t going away just yet.

£25m is still a long way short of the £50m (was it?) we have supposedly requested in order for us to see a £25-30m profit from the deal.

2 hours ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Been training at Utd and impressed Hag allegedly

2 hours ago, Chez said:

I also thought he could be good, although with a nagging worry about his lack of pace. He turned out to be slower than I thought. I'd imagine he would be fine in the championship, but we doubt we will find out.

Why do you think he'll move on if, as I do, you think hcdajfu? I can't see us attracting anyone significantly better to play second fiddle to Stephens and Bednarek who would be a decent enough first choice pairing IMHO.