Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

7 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

on a lesser scale, we had fans here cheering on the departure of Romeu, because he was apparently past it.  

Romeu is strongly linked with Barcelona right now.

Probably one of the same priks who said Redmond was rubbish

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Some decent signings Leicester are making.

That said, didn’t most of our fans, me included, agree that our window last summer was like a 8+/10 window? 🤷🏻‍♂️😂

All I’m saying is it could go pear-shaped!

They seem to be losing Jonny Evans, possibly to Everton. In general, they have been shit without him. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

on a lesser scale, we had fans here cheering on the departure of Romeu, because he was apparently past it.  

Romeu is strongly linked with Barcelona right now.

I don't remember that many people being happy that he was going. I remember more people wishing him well.

• Like 21

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Naa. Don’t be silly. People love a rumour based on nothing. 😂

They really do. Already I've seen rumours (based on nothing) of Djenepo refusing to play (he was ill), and S Armstrong forcing through a move by not training (he's injured)

Edited by SaintNewForest
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, SaintNewForest said:

They really do. Already I've seen rumours (based on nothing) of Djenepo refusing to play (he was ill), and S Armstrong forcing through a move by not training (he's injured)

Definitely worth checking out the Vlogs, Tweets thread.

We cover the same bullshit on there, and noticed exactly the same thing. 😂

11 hours ago, SaintNewForest said:

DCC wife is about to give birth, and has been given leave to be with her. 

Quite why he was lounging on a boat in the middle of the sea, not so sure ... 

🤣

Edited by eurosaint

I know not really Saints related but this is what is going to destroy FFP governance and it’ll be interesting to see how the PL deal with it

Effectively the Saudi’s own both Newcastle and the SPL and Id suggest will enable them to move players between the two that effectively circumvents the issue

Its a problem 

Edited by Smirking_Saint
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I know not really Saints related but this is what is going to destroy FFP governance and it’ll be interesting to see how the PL deal with it

Effectively the Saudi’s own both Newcastle and the SPL and Id suggest will enable them to move players between the two that effectively circumvents the issue

Its a problem 

I think it’d be hilarious if we get to the end of the transfer window and Newcastle announce the loan signings of Benzema, Neves and Kante.

2 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

Surely RM has sussed out already that we need a bloody striker or two cos this lot are shit hasn't he ? 

We have 4 £10m+ strikers in the club as it is. I doubt he’d be allowed to bring another in until Adams/Onuachu are both gone.

• Like 1

It would be more refreshing if a top player came out and said “Why the fuck would I want to go to Saudi? For money? Fuck off, that’s a pay day, not football”.

Sadly, everyone it would appear is lured by money, no matter what stage of your career you’re at now.

Ruben Neves is a prime example this time round.

Oscar when he went to China at the age of 23, was it?

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

It would be more refreshing if a top player came out and said “Why the fuck would I want to go to Saudi? For money? Fuck off, that’s a pay day, not football”.

Sadly, everyone it would appear is lured by money, no matter what stage of your career you’re at now.

Weren't there *allegedly* some other factors in his sudden move?

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Why shouldn't they be lured by money? Football is a job and it's a short lived one. What WOULD be refreshing though is if a top player, on taking that route came out and said "It's about the money. I have a family and I want to make sure that my kids are set for life and their kids too." 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Its a problem 

Getting really fucked off with all sports pandering to Saudi money.

UEFA, FIFA and the Premier League will do fuck all.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Why shouldn't they be lured by money? Football is a job and it's a short lived one. What WOULD be refreshing though is if a top player, on taking that route came out and said "It's about the money. I have a family and I want to make sure that my kids are set for life and their kids too." 

That would be really refreshing.  I would love a multi-millionaire footballer to come out and say that.  Of course, they would also be saying they have no principles and couldn’t give 2 fucks about human rights issues.  Their families could be rightly proud of them and their courageous decisions.

It would be even better if said footballer, had been, for example, a great public advocate for LGBT rights and issues.

Got to love some multi-millionaire sportsmen for their morals.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Getting really fucked off with all sports pandering to Saudi money.

UEFA, FIFA and the Premier League will do fuck all.

Why is this annoying people?  It's no different to what many owners have done, Watford etc and to some extent now our owners......own several clubs, move players around to save money, get more to spend etc.

Oh is it because you have issues with the Saudis?  and their "human rights"?  No one says the same when we get Chinese owners, American owners (who if you are being politcal have probably contributed to the biggest issues ever in the middle east), Russians when they were allowed or any other dodgy multi millionaires who probably have shit on people to amass their fortunes...

Smacks of jealousy really, im sure if we were owned by Saudis and doing the same you'd be all for it.....massive yawnfest...FOOTBALL IS ABOUT MONEY AND WON'T EVER CHANGE

That's all i say on the matter. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

21 minutes ago, coalman said:

Lots of talking to the press happening. Next so much bidding 

Probably a lot of talking between the potential buyers with players agent and Lavia also.

Unfortunately that tends to be agreed before the bid. 

6 hours ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Ross Stewart linked in the Sun

Screenshot_20230716-103205.png

Can’t see Sunderland selling to what they regard as a promotion rival, unless stupid money. Or that the player would be interested.

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Shin splits were cool the 90s, metatarsals in the 00s. No one seems to get them or break them anymore

Weren’t ‘metatarsals’ a bit ‘brand Beckham’ at the time ? After him every player was claiming one, it became a fashion injury to have. 

Bit like Gascoigne who seemed to patent cruciate ligament in the early 90’s. 

Edited by Badger

5 minutes ago, Badger said:

Weren’t ‘metatarsals’ a bit ‘brand Beckham’ at the time ? After him every player was claiming one, it became a fashion injury to have. 

Bit like Gascoigne who seemed to patent cruciate ligament in the early 90’s. 

Yeah even Sunday league players were claiming to have done them, funny how they don’t break anymore 

29 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Shin splits were cool the 90s, metatarsals in the 00s. No one seems to get them or break them anymore

Also medical emergencies in the crowd stopping games is really unhip. Although I’m sure Le Tissier claimed at the time they were caused by vaccinations.

30 minutes ago, Badger said:

Can’t see Sunderland selling to what they regard as a promotion rival, unless stupid money. Or that the player would be interested.

He's out of contract at the end of the season, so they might have to unless they don't mind losing him on a free. 

3 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Agreed, although I expect in this day and age when players get their media handled by others, the likes of Messi have been warned about bonesaws to the point they feel it's better to play it safe and keep schtum.

10 minutes ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

Agreed, although I expect in this day and age when players get their media handled by others, the likes of Messi have been warned about bonesaws to the point they feel it's better to play it safe and keep schtum.

I just find it funny Messi going to the MLS. Ronaldo going to the Middle East. 

Both for big final pay days, and deep down they must know the calibre of players they’re playing with is piss poor. 
(At least up until the recent Saudi Summer Sale).

2 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

That would be really refreshing.  I would love a multi-millionaire footballer to come out and say that.  Of course, they would also be saying they have no principles and couldn’t give 2 fucks about human rights issues.  Their families could be rightly proud of them and their courageous decisions.

It would be even better if said footballer, had been, for example, a great public advocate for LGBT rights and issues.

Got to love some multi-millionaire sportsmen for their morals.

60 years later: "I'd like to buy a house please. Oh I don't have any money but my grandad had morals and principles. Do you accept that?"

Ethics are all well and good but I'd rather the knowledge that my family was set for generations to come.