Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

46 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Not since City and by the looks of it Everton proved it was nonsense 😂

Laughable really

As we know, all the big clubs don't give a shit about FFP. It's bollocks.

Here's Manure and Barcelona the latest 2 to get fined - I mean, those fines are peanuts compared to the revenue they pull in, so it absolutely pays to break the FFP rules

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/man-utd-ffp-fine-b1094498.html

• Like 1

The best thing about these players being shite is that I genuinely could not give a shit if they are sold. There's a couple that I think would be nice to keep (largely ones who joined in January or were nothing to do with last year) but otherwise any one of them coukd get sold and I'd be confident we could replace with a better mindset and a bit of bottle. 

• Like 1

Just now, hypochondriac said:

The best thing about these players being shite is that I genuinely could not give a shit if they are sold. There's a couple that I think would be nice to keep (largely ones who joined in January or were nothing to do with last year) but otherwise any one of them coukd get sold and I'd be confident we could replace with a better mindset and a bit of bottle. 

Yeah, have to admit even JWP and Lavia wouldn't bother me as long as we got a decent fee for them. Would be more annoyed losing Sulemana and Alcaraz at this point - fresh blood to try and build an exciting side around. 

• Like 2

Just now, Cumbria Saint said:

If just some of our better players are likely to be sold for more than £100m why, oh why could they not have been moulded into a team good enough to compete in the Premier League?

Because £100million gets you one very good Premier League player nowadays. The fact the same amount buys our best 3 or 4 players (or more) shows how bad we were. 

5 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Yeah, have to admit even JWP and Lavia wouldn't bother me as long as we got a decent fee for them. Would be more annoyed losing Sulemana and Alcaraz at this point - fresh blood to try and build an exciting side around. 

As much as the first friendly is largely meaningless, it does highlight that some of that same mindset still remains when we are toothless going forward and lack bravery which seems to be essential in a Martin team. Rather than trying to make big mentality changes, it maybe simpler just to sell off quite a number and then replace them with new players that may be of slightly lesser ability but who are less tainted and scarred by the last few years. 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Because £100million gets you one very good Premier League player nowadays. The fact the same amount buys our best 3 or 4 players (or more) shows how bad we were. 

Not just that, we had a number of players who individually were good enough for the prem but we didn't have enough depth in the squad and nowhere near enough guile and experience. We also played a number of confused systems so the squad was unsettled with many not really sure of their roles. I reckon an incredibly disciplined team woukd have come a lot closer to survival. It was the setup as much as the personnel that was the problem. 

• Like 8

5 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

It may just be his time to go. He was an excellent player for us for a good few years but since his injury problems he hasn’t been the same imo. He just looks a bit weak and that wouldn’t help us in the championship. 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Not just that, we had a number of players who individually were good enough for the prem but we didn't have enough depth in the squad and nowhere near enough guile and experience. We also played a number of confused systems so the squad was unsettled with many not really sure of their roles. I reckon an incredibly disciplined team woukd have come a lot closer to survival. It was the setup as much as the personnel that was the problem. 

Add in the main striker needed as the first major signing last summer and it may have been 13th-16th, but that’s gone now. Important thing is that two very good recruitments have been made so far this summer (Charles on paper and Manning POTS at a competitor) in positions of priority. Hopefully a few more sales with a couple of big ticket ones to enable recruitment for a couple more CMs (contingent on JWP), at least one CB (contingent on extent of departures), experienced keeper if McCarthy goes (doubt it), and a striker (more if Che goes along with the big lump). 

19 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

It may just be his time to go. He was an excellent player for us for a good few years but since his injury problems he hasn’t been the same imo. He just looks a bit weak and that wouldn’t help us in the championship. 

Agree, and he's never regained his form since his bout of Covid

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Because £100million gets you one very good Premier League player nowadays. The fact the same amount buys our best 3 or 4 players (or more) shows how badly coached we were. 

Fixed it for you. Teams comfortably stayed in the PL last year with a squad filled with players who wouldnt fetch more than 20m each

• Like 4

1 hour ago, beatlesaint said:

If Fulham lose Mitrovic and replace him with Che Adams their fans are in for a real treat !

We're all very familiar with Che's inability, especially last season, but in their last 3 PL seasons, Mitro has 28 goals and Che has 21 goals. Mitro is obviusly the better option, but not the slam dunk I thought it would be.

If only Che could score from a yard out 🫣

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Mr Brightside said:

Yep, like the pr1ck who used to sit behind me whose only pleasure seemed to be telling Tadic how sh1t he was. 

Exactly. Short memories on here. So many thought of him as a luxury. He was a great player but some love the workmanlike players more. Us fans have a habit of feeling we deserve more. We only see how good they were when they left.

He was far better than the team that surrounded him but more often than not became a scapegoat for a lack of penetration.

I reckon he felt far more appreciated when he left.

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Warriorsaint said:

Leaves a legend at Ajax but to many Saints fans wasn’t good enough for us.

I went to Ajax v Excelsior last season as in Amsterdam wife running half marathon. 
Tadic scored and created a couple with some great crosses but he didn’t have a defender near him all game. He strolled around into space and no-one tackled him. If you give him that space his quality will hurt you but he won’t be coming here again as would get battered.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mr Brightside said:

Yep, like the pr1ck who used to sit behind me whose only pleasure seemed to be telling Tadic how sh1t he was. 

on a lesser scale, we had fans here cheering on the departure of Romeu, because he was apparently past it.  

Romeu is strongly linked with Barcelona right now.

• Like 2

I'll pop round Dusan's place on the van breestraat here in amsterdam later and ask him whats going on.

absolute baller, wouldnt surprise me if he went to saudi for semi retirement money given he's 34 or went to italy for a couple of seasons.

Ajax are fucked, Feyenoord and PSV will be the teams again this season.

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

I'll pop round Dusan's place on the van breestraat here in amsterdam later and ask him whats going on.

absolute baller, wouldnt surprise me if he went to saudi for semi retirement money given he's 34 or went to italy for a couple of seasons.

Ajax are fucked, Feyenoord and PSV will be the teams again this season.

Would you go as far as to say he would cook in the championship? 🧑‍🍳🍳

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

I you give him that space his quality will hurt you but he won’t be coming here again as would get battered.

Which is the exact reason he gave for wanting away from the PL

Edited by Toussaint
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

I basically want to keep Alcaraz, Sulemana, Tella and Tino. Lavia in my dreams, but I’m realistic. Excited about Shea Charles. The rest have kinda failed for two seasons. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

on a lesser scale, we had fans here cheering on the departure of Romeu, because he was apparently past it.  

Romeu is strongly linked with Barcelona right now.

I think that would have been a tiny minority. Every Saints fans that I know was very sorry to see him go and felt at the time that a big mistake had been made when the only backups were an unknown kid (Lavia) and a poor Diallo.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Warriorsaint said:

Leaves a legend at Ajax but to many Saints fans wasn’t good enough for us.

He always had an inflated view of his own talents though. He could play no doubt about it but was temperamental and inconsistent. His hissy fit now confirms this. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

52 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

He always had an inflated view of his own talents though. He could play no doubt about it but was temperamental and inconsistent. His hissy fit now confirms this. 

100%. Everyone knew he was talented and would likely succeed in a different league but that doesn’t rewrite the history of what he did here.

3 goals in 44 games in 16/17. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Bro he'd have a restaurant he'd cook so much.

Man had made bare peas blud, maybe he’ll chill with his homies back in Serbia or top G Dragon will cruise wiv him over here in his wagon 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

If you give him that space his quality will hurt you but he won’t be coming here again as would get battered.

Is that because he’s going to cook in the Championship or whatever ? 

21 minutes ago, Saint IQ said:

Tadic was amazing his first 2 seasons here though.

Probably remembered as his most effective in those years under Koeman, true.

But my recollection is that he was at his best at the start and end of his time. Brilliant for the first six months, then to his great credit came alive and stepped up when we really needed him c April under Hughes when we avoided relegation. Seemed pretty average at times in between despite knowing he had more in his game to offer. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Badger said:

Probably remembered as his most effective in those years under Koeman, true.

But my recollection is that he was at his best at the start and end of his time. Brilliant for the first six months, then to his great credit came alive and stepped up when we really needed him c April under Hughes when we avoided relegation. Seemed pretty average at times in between despite knowing he had more in his game to offer. 

Yeah he was a massive part of us staying up that year. The Bournemouth game alone. But for a good 12-18 months before that he flattered to deceive for whatever reason. Puel and Pellegrino perhaps not the type of manager he thrives under. Amazing player for us at times and then really incredible to see what he moved on to do at Ajax. Good on him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Incredibly on brand from you, fair play.

• Like 1