Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

5 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I think we will almost certainly add Perraud, Salisu, ABK and probably DCC as well. Who knows about the rest. 

I wonder how much of the potential lavia / jwp money will be used paying off contracts to get players out of the door and off the wage bill. Although a clear out and rebuild is required.

My definite keeps for the Championship season would be Stephens, Sulemana, Alcaraz, Edozie, Tella and Tino, We have Charles potentially to slot in alongside Charley although I just have a feeling JWP might stay. We have Ballard potentially playing a more pivotal role this season alongside SAA, and Doyle, Manning at the back, I would almost be tempted to keep DCC as I am sure we haven't seen the best of him. Here, we have pace, creativity and the ability to play Martin's game. But as alluded to by Glenn on TSP, we need a player who will actually score, Charley being the only player who is intent on shooting! I do think we need an out and out poacher, (AA may prove to be that man but serious doubts) and we also need a decent, reliable keeper. if JWP goes (Lavia def going) we will need a Grimes type midfielder to add to  Charley and Charles. Che can go for me, always rated him but never seen so many misses when it would have been easier to score. So keeper, striker without doubt and a decent holding midfielder and we are almost there.......for 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

Is it really that bad? Whenever I watch Saudi “Vlogs” (for want of a better name)  the people who go there always say despite Saudi getting a bad media reputation it’s really not all too bad. Though they are tourists and only stay there for a bit. Especially can’t be bad on Mitros next wage.  

Just got back from Riyadh. Didn't see a single Newcastle shirt, for what it's worth!

It's OK but really the only reason to live there is the money.

There isn't much to do and it's landlocked and surrounded by desert so you can't even buy somewhere sweet with sea view or beach access or anything like that (as opposed to UAE, Bahrain, Qatar). This is one of the reasons why the Saudis are spending a huge amount of money developing tourism in the west of the country, along the Red Sea coast.

You can obviously live in a plush hotel suite or in a bug house in a western compound, where you would have golf, a gym and a swimming pool. But other than that and the cinema, that's pretty much your leisure options, right there. There are plenty of nice restaurants but obviously you won't be pairing your fillet with a nice red wine.

This is precisely why people go there for mega money for a year or two. Zero income tax, inflated wages and a boring but comfortable life. It's also very safe as long as you behave.

Saudis are, generally, very friendly and hospitable people when you meet them. It wouldn't be particularly unusual for a Saudi to invite someone that they've met once or twice for business to their house for dinner, for example.

So, it's not a hardship to live there, but if you're already extremely wealthy and not a Muslim then you'd almost certainly enjoy living in Europe more! I can understand middling Premier League players going there for a year or two. I can't for the life of me understand why Ronaldo bothered though. 

Edited by benjii
  • Like 10

When I took up TEFL I considered a number of places to go, but dismissed Saudi very quickly! Some of the stories on the teaching forums were.. interesting.. and although the money might have been attractive for a couple of years that, and better food, was the only positive over a prison sentence. Not that attractive salaries either, as English teachers are at the bottom of the pile, and from the stories there were some pretty dysfunctional places of work.

So I went to a place where there was red wine and no siddiqi moonshine!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

When I took up TEFL I considered a number of places to go, but dismissed Saudi very quickly! Some of the stories on the teaching forums were.. interesting.. and although the money might have been attractive for a couple of years that, and better food, was the only positive over a prison sentence. Not that attractive salaries either, as English teachers are at the bottom of the pile, and from the stories there were some pretty dysfunctional places of work.

So I went to a place where there was red wine and no siddiqi moonshine!

I am pleased for you that your desire for red wine was the top priority!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, benjii said:

Just got back from Riyadh. Didn't see a single Newcastle shirt, for what it's worth!

It's OK but really the only reason to live there is the money.

There isn't much to do and it's landlocked and surrounded by desert so you can't even buy somewhere sweet with sea view or beach access or anything like that (as opposed to UAE, Bahrain, Qatar). This is one of the reasons why the Saudis are spending a huge amount of money developing tourism in the west of the country, along the Red Sea coast.

You can obviously live in a plush hotel suite or in a bug house in a western compound, where you would have golf, a gym and a swimming pool. But other than that and the cinema, that's pretty much your leisure options, right there. There are plenty of nice restaurants but obviously you won't be pairing your fillet with a nice red wine.

This is precisely why people go there for mega money for a year or two. Zero income tax, inflated wages and a boring but comfortable life. It's also very safe as long as you behave.

Saudis are, generally, very friendly and hospitable people when you meet them. It wouldn't be particularly unusual for a Saudi to invite someone that they've met once or twice for business to their house for dinner, for example.

So, it's not a hardship to live there, but if you're already extremely wealthy and not a Muslim then you'd almost certainly enjoy living in Europe more! I can understand middling Premier League players going there for a year or two. I can't for the life of me understand why Ronaldo bothered though. 

Saudi Arabia isn't landlocked. It has two coastlines. 1. Red sea. 2. Persian Gulf.  They have NEOM in development on the Red Sea coast which is a new urban area which aims to attract foreign workers to work and live there. I dont think it's really intended for Professional footballers to live but it would be more westernised I assume. Ultimately I think these footballers will get cabin fever and won't see out their contracts in many cases despite the obscene wealth that comes with it 

Latest transfer - Henderson to Gerrard's new club over there, he's getting £750,000 per week!!!

This is where average folk are just going to fall out of love with football, how is that justifiable in any way what so ever? It's very similar to what China tried a few years ago, but I don't think the money is going to dry up this time. I can think of plenty of better uses for 750k p/w than Jordan flaming Henderson though.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Latest transfer - Henderson to Gerrard's new club over there, he's getting £750,000 per week!!!

This is where average folk are just going to fall out of love with football, how is that justifiable in any way what so ever? It's very similar to what China tried a few years ago, but I don't think the money is going to dry up this time. I can think of plenty of better uses for 750k p/w than Jordan flaming Henderson though.

Agents are laughing all the way to the bank............again.

13 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

The arse fell out of it for us when we paid Fraser Forster nearly £100k a week to sit on the bench

37 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Saudi Arabia isn't landlocked. It has two coastlines. 1. Red sea. 2. Persian Gulf.  They have NEOM in development on the Red Sea coast which is a new urban area which aims to attract foreign workers to work and live there. I dont think it's really intended for Professional footballers to live but it would be more westernised I assume. Ultimately I think these footballers will get cabin fever and won't see out their contracts in many cases despite the obscene wealth that comes with it 

Some, or many, of these players will/could live in Bahrain.....as a base at least.

36 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I’m not sure anyone was ever in love with professional football because they found the players relatable. Why would you fall out of love with football because players are going to Saudi Arabia for obscene money, they’re already going to Manchester and London to earn double your annual salary in a week.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I’m not sure anyone was ever in love with professional football because they found the players relatable. Why would you fall out of love with football because players are going to Saudi Arabia for obscene money, they’re already going to Manchester and London to earn double your annual salary in a week.

I'm struggling this pre-season with these transfers, not because of the wages paid but because it's such an obviously corrupt way for clubs to get around FFP.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I don’t know what they pay but some weirdo players even move to the other end of the M27.

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Absolutely hung out to dry on Sky Sports News last night by their reporter Mellisa Reddy who pointed out his support for LGBT etc......basically hes been prominent in supporting everything the Saudi's are not great at.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

Ings to Saints if West Ham sign Broja 😲 

Seems like Scammacca and Antonio are more likely to leave than Ings.  I'd be happy with Ings coming back but wages would be a big issue even if he was prepared to drop down.  We'd also need to shift some more players too.

10 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Absolutely hung out to dry on Sky Sports News last night by their reporter Mellisa Reddy who pointed out his support for LGBT etc......basically hes been prominent in supporting everything the Saudi's are not great at.  

I wonder how well the Saudi authorities will take to him wearing rainbow laces?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

I expect the ludicrous money is a mere fringe benefit for good old Hendo, as he embarks on a relentless crusade to instigate a sweeping LGBT+ cultural change in Saudi.

Arise Lord Henderson, you heard it here first!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Some, or many, of these players will/could live in Bahrain.....as a base at least.

It's a one hour flight to Riyadh. Not really a practical option unless you play for a team in Khobar/Damman, which is not where the major teams are. It would also go down badly with the PR associated with attracting high-profile players, if they lived in a different country. Furthermore, that wouldnt work well from a visa perspective. 

2 hours ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Riyadh is landlocked and I was talking about Riyadh, which is where some of the main teams are.

Neom would claim to be anything but an "urban area" - its the size of Belgium. But it's at least 10 years until any sizable population lives there (if ever). 

No doubt the country is modernising and in ten or fifteen years parts of it might be the new Dubai/Hong Kong/Singapore etc but, as you say, its not there yet and I agree with the cabin fever point.

Borges joining West Ham. He’s been speculated about for quite a while now but this comes slightly out of the blue as West Ham never been mentioned (despite being obvious it was off from our point of view the moment we were relegated).

A lesson to be learnt for all those who crave and celebrate ‘links’ in the media. 

Edited by Fabrice29

10 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Borges joining West Ham. He’s been speculated about for quite a while now but this comes slightly out of the blue as West Ham never been mentioned (despite being obvious it was off from our point of view the moment we were relegated).

A lesson to be learnt for all those who crave and celebrate ‘links’ in the media. 

Pretty sure the last link I read had mentioned at least two prem clubs were in for him so not unexpected. 

TBH we're well stocked in that area anyway and if it's possible then I'd rather keep both or one of Tella and Sulemana than bringing Borges in.  Also got Amo-Ameyaw who looks like he needs a pathway to first team minutes so I'm not really that bothered.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Interesting rumour. I can't see for the life of me why Chelsea would get rid of Broja considering their lack of striking options.

I know a lot has changed at Chelsea since last year, but it will be bloody annoying to see them sell him this summer after we seemingly tried our best to sign him all of last summer. 

I suspect he's been left out of the touring party as he's only just got back from injury.

Ings aint coming to us in the championship. How on earth would that work financially? West Ham would probably have to pay two thirds of his wage for two years for him to be affordable to us.  

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

I can't see Chelsea selling Broja tbh.  I expect Poch to give him plenty of minutes and given his rep for developing players it'd be good for Broja as well.

Ings is looking good in preseason as well so not a given that WH will want to sell him

7 hours ago, dankiz15 said:

My definite keeps for the Championship season would be Stephens, Sulemana, Alcaraz, Edozie, Tella and Tino, We have Charles potentially to slot in alongside Charley although I just have a feeling JWP might stay. We have Ballard potentially playing a more pivotal role this season alongside SAA, and Doyle, Manning at the back, I would almost be tempted to keep DCC as I am sure we haven't seen the best of him. Here, we have pace, creativity and the ability to play Martin's game. But as alluded to by Glenn on TSP, we need a player who will actually score, Charley being the only player who is intent on shooting! I do think we need an out and out poacher, (AA may prove to be that man but serious doubts) and we also need a decent, reliable keeper. if JWP goes (Lavia def going) we will need a Grimes type midfielder to add to  Charley and Charles. Che can go for me, always rated him but never seen so many misses when it would have been easier to score. So keeper, striker without doubt and a decent holding midfielder and we are almost there.......for 

I’m happy for Saints to sell anyone who puts pictures of themselves on social media wandering round in big sunglasses and bling, and saying “Bro” a lot. I think the spirit of the squad would be improved by this .

Edited by Mixedkebab
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Given that we're selling all our centre backs (not upset about that all) other than Stephens and Bednarek, we've got to be looking there surely for incomings. There don't appear to be many links other than Fonte and Evans who have since joined other teams.

1 minute ago, Pamplemousse said:

Given that we're selling all our centre backs (not upset about that all) other than Stephens and Bednarek, we've got to be looking there surely for incomings. There don't appear to be many links other than Fonte and Evans who have since joined other teams.

Mason Holgate from Everton seems to be the one most frequently mentioned recently.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Not sure about Ings

It seems like an absolute dream signing potentially, and he should fit the tactics perfectly

But then you factor in his age, injury record and the fact he hasn’t looked the same player since the season BEFORE he left

I think Id personally go and tickle Chelsea’s balls for Broja

• Haha 1

Given we all know that the likes of Lavia, JWP, KWP, ABK will be almost certainly moving this window, I think losing Livramento to Newcastle would probably be the most frustrating exit if that happens as seems pretty likely.

Not suprised they would go for him but had hoped he would be a nice way to lose KWP without feeling a massive drop in quality in that position so losing both would be a pretty big blow.

Bree, whilst not awful, is clearly levels below the other two and if we are to go up we need some players who are clearly the best or amongst the best in their position in the league and Tino (or KWP) would certainly be that.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Not sure about Ings

It seems like an absolute dream signing potentially, and he should fit the tactics perfectly

But then you factor in his age, injury record and the fact he hasn’t looked the same player since the season BEFORE he left

I think Id personally go and tickle Chelsea’s balls for Broja

Have you forgotten we’ve been relegated? 

Neither of those guys would come to the championship in a million years 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

Have you forgotten we’ve been relegated? 

Neither of those guys would come to the championship in a million years 

I think we could tempt broja, I doubt he’ll get a starting role in a PL this year, he could do with a career restart and a team battling at the top of the Championship would probably be a good start

Ings.. I agree, I was speaking hypothetically 

32 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I think we could tempt broja, I doubt he’ll get a starting role in a PL this year, he could do with a career restart and a team battling at the top of the Championship would probably be a good start

Ings.. I agree, I was speaking hypothetically 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dusic said:

Given we all know that the likes of Lavia, JWP, KWP, ABK will be almost certainly moving this window,

People shouldn't need to be constantly reminded... but JWP isn't leaving... :D😎

On the Ings topic, A fit Ings gets us promoted. He is still one of the best finishers in english football, albeit he is about to turn 31. I guess he's done less mileage than most due to his earlier career injuries, but that in itself is still a risk. And there is question over pay/motivation. Would make some sense from the perspective that he could do a job for 2 years and allow some of the younger players to develop. If he's interested and we can do it without overstretching, then i would bring him back.

Edited by Saint86

8 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Sounds like the name of a council estate pub hard man 

I've heard we're looking to bring in Harry Grout when his probabtion comes up.

(Look it up, kiddies!)

Edited by Suhari