Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

1 minute ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Errrm pretty sure I’ve read that from you since the start of pre-season. You also didn’t name him above in players being sold.

You should spend less time on Twitter on the Saints timeline and more time in the real world.

Says the other bloke on an internet forum. Guess we’re both in the same boat then.

Ahoy. 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Look at those waiting behind the first 11 or 13.

no chance are we going up. Sheff Wednesday away was as good as it gets squad wise for this season.

Stupid claim to make when we’ve had one match this season and we dominated.

If we were bottom four at Christmas I’d be concerned. But the beauty of the Championship is that everyone can beat everyone.

There’s a lot of work that needs to happen in the next three weeks, judge after that. We won’t get a true reflection of where we’ll roughly finish until maybe March anyway.

I’m sure 24 hours ago you were convinced the league is ours; playing a load of kids and a load of players that couldn’t give two shits isn’t going to change my mind about where we may or may not finish.
If anything it reaffirms, alongside RM calling them out, that they aren’t good enough and will have no further part.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Says the other bloke on an internet forum. Guess we’re both in the same boat then.

Ahoy. 🤷🏻‍♂️

No, we’d be in the same boat if I went on Twitter and told everyone what the ‘muppets’ were saying on Saintsweb.

9 hours ago, qwertyell said:

He'd be an improvement on what we'll have after Lavia and Prowse have gone, but I don't think he's the player we need. At least not on his own.

The midfield (and first XI) is extremely lightweight and, aside from the centre backs, weak in the air (and Stephens is pretty ordinary at that). 

For me, we need more height and power in the team. It's all very well having a philosophy manager who wants to only play tippy tappy football, but we're not in the Testimonial League. The Championship is physical and direct more often than not.

And if we can't cope with that (which I don't believe we can at present) we won't earn the right to get on the ball and play a more refined style. 

Spot on about the need for more height and power. When is someone in charge going to recognise this obvious weakness? Start buying some six foot plus players instead of all these short arses.

• Like 4

I think move wise we need....

Defence

Aarons IN, if KWP leaves then another fullback as Bree and Lyanco dont cut it.

Lyanco - OUT but probably leaves us a bit light at centre back BUT hoping we keep ABK.

Bree - couldnt care less!

Midfield

Lavia OUT - always going to happen

JWP unfortunately OUT, but replace with Grimes potentially Downes as well but possibly a more physical presence in the Viafara mould.  Being local to Suffolk I think Morsy at Ipswich is a decent option, as is Chaplin in a more forward role.

Forward

Tall Pall - OUT

Mara - OUT

Piroe- IN

Djenpro - couldnt care less but could do a job as a utility play if his wages are not silly

I think if we did this we have a decent enough squad there to do what we need to.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, saintant said:

Spot on about the need for more height and power. When is someone in charge going to recognise this obvious weakness? Start buying some six foot plus players instead of all these short arses.

they haven't for 6 years and and 3 different leaders, 4 managers, 2 owners and multiple coaches, cant see it changing now

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Stupid claim to make when we’ve had one match this season and we dominated.

If we were bottom four at Christmas I’d be concerned. But the beauty of the Championship is that everyone can beat everyone.

There’s a lot of work that needs to happen in the next three weeks, judge after that. We won’t get a true reflection of where we’ll roughly finish until maybe March anyway.

I’m sure 24 hours ago you were convinced the league is ours; playing a load of kids and a load of players that couldn’t give two shits isn’t going to change my mind about where we may or may not finish.
If anything it reaffirms, alongside RM calling them out, that they aren’t good enough and will have no further part.

The minimum expectation I have is that we maintain a position in the top 6 with a surge up the table after Christmas. Its promotion this season or potentially a long road back in my view. Bottom 4 at Christmas = oblivion for the foreseeable.

Edited by Toussaint

10 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

The minimum expectation I have is that we maintain a position in the top 6 with a surge up the table after Christmas. Its promotion this season or potentially a long road back in my view.

For me, this season is like the first one we had in League 1. Ok, we don't have a 10-point deduction but it feels like we're starting out with one hand tied behind our back.  I reckon we'll be top 6 this season but will actually have a much better chance of promotion next.

Edited by Sunglasses Ron
  • Like 2

Feels like we still have so much business to do and really need to get on with these outgoings, including JWP, to get a sense of certainty.

Its a hard sell to Aarons, or any other RB, to join whilst we still have KWP but do we know that he isnt going to be leaving? Probably not, so very difficult to plan.

We probably have four or five first team signings to make in 3 weeks whilst also making 4 or 5 key sales of good players as well, so might as well start the domino effect.

Absolute needs:

2 x CM

1 x RB if KWP goes, two if Bree does too

1 x CB

1 x Striker

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 2

I think there is a dramatic meltdown on here after, admittedly, a disastrous result last night aside.. thankfully we shouldn’t see much of that team moving forward

As far as our first 11 is concerned I do think that overall us (and the other relegated teams) probably have too much strength.. Leeds and Leicester, and even us to an extent, had plenty of dominance in our games, we all just need to turn that into goals

My real concern is depth, behind our first 11 CBs and CMs we’re not only short of quality but bodies in general 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I think there is a dramatic meltdown on here after, admittedly, a disastrous result last night aside.. thankfully we shouldn’t see much of that team moving forward

As far as our first 11 is concerned I do think that overall us (and the other relegated teams) probably have too much strength.. Leeds and Leicester, and even us to an extent, had plenty of dominance in our games, we all just need to turn that into goals

My real concern is depth, behind our first 11 CBs and CMs we’re not only short of quality but bodies in general 

I'm not sure that's the case, a bit of despondency, yes,  and a realisation that we have a lot that needs sorting in this transfer window if we are to succeed this season. 

We really need to get a move on and shift some players out and bring some in 

People keep saying we are not in financial problems but I am not sure that is the case.  I don't think we are going to go bust tomorrow but we have a bloated squad and a heavy wage bill.  I would think we need to reduce our wage bill fairly heavily before the transfer window closes if we are going to avoid financial problems in the mid or long term. 

Plus we have the pay-offs / wages for Ralph and Nathan Jones to cover.

I am also sure Sports Republic will also want to clawback some of the money they have put in to the club to sign players.

It also looks like we need to sell players to generate transfer funds - but even if we do that it looks like we still need to shift more players to reduce the wage bill before we can bring any more players in.

I am pretty convinced Lavia and JWP will follow Tino out of the door - but I am not convinced that until we get players like Lyanco, Tall Paul, Sulemana, Djneppo, Mara, Bree and Perraud off the wage bill we will be able to bring other players in.

Unfortunately I think we are more likely to sell ABK, KWP,  Che Adams and Adam Armstrong as they are the players other clubs will actually want.

We have a good first 11 at the moment - but that about it.  I think last night proved that.

4 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Nail on head here.

All about getting the replacements right and further depth so we don't have to see Lyanco / Perraud (or Bree for that matter) at CB, Djenepo and Mara in our starting XI - appreciating we do have more depth in wide areas than up top... and also last night shows the frightening lack of depth in the middle of the pitch without JWP, Lavia and Smallbone in the XI - need to replace the aforementioned 2 very well when they go in the next 7 days or so... over to you Mr Wilcox!

• Like 1

Leeds closing in on Aarons, Joe Rodon and Piroe apparently. That would massively improve their first XI and immediately put us on the back foot. 

It's reactionary to be so downbeat after one shit performance but it clearly shows that a lot of surgery is needed on the squad and after last nights display there aren't going to be a whole load of suitors for them. With a bloated squad, if we can't get rid, then we can't replace... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SaintLondon said:

Leeds closing in on Aarons, Joe Rodon and Piroe apparently. That would massively improve their first XI and immediately put us on the back foot. 

It's reactionary to be so downbeat after one shit performance but it clearly shows that a lot of surgery is needed on the squad and after last nights display there aren't going to be a whole load of suitors for them. With a bloated squad, if we can't get rid, then we can't replace... 

3 good signings to be fair. Which Man City kid are we signing next?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SaintLondon said:

I'm not sure why it puts us on the back foot. Other teams were always going to sign some good players

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I wouldn't call it a dramatic melt down although admittedly some have gone over the top. In general comments are fair and reflect what fans thought of last night's performance. There was very little to feel pleased about so naturally people will vent their frustrations and disappointment as would supporters at any club. Nobody likes losing to a team a couple of divisions below them and I'm sure RM will have woken up this morning and felt he could have managed this game far better.

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I'm not sure why it puts us on the back foot. Other teams were always going to sign some good players

Puts us on the back foot if we are interested in some of those players - i.e., Aarons and Piroe. Would be nice to see us sign some proven quality rather than overpaying for the next Man City under 20. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, beatlesaint said:

Some people thinking the end of the world is nigh because players who we thought would be gone 2 months ago but are still here probably will go in the next 2 weeks ! 

Umm…

Think its more that there is almost deathly silence in terms of incomings and players that we thought we might be in for are now heavily linked with rival teams. It’s not the departures that are worrying in and of themselves its that, on the basis of last night’s performance, the in-house replacements are absolutely atrocious and it highlights the amount of work Wilcox and company have to do in a condensed period with the games coming thick and fast.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, James said:

Puts us on the back foot if we are interested in some of those players - i.e., Aarons and Piroe. Would be nice to see us sign some proven quality rather than overpaying for the next Man City under 20. 

I don't know that we were actually interested in either, beyond the circle-jerk of Twitter... sorry X... wannabe ITKs. I want us to sign the best players for the way we want to play, regardless of age. I'd rather we 'overpay' for a couple more Lavias than brought in experienced Walcotts, Mois and Orsics.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

I don't know that we were actually interested in either, beyond the circle-jerk of Twitter... sorry X... wannabe ITKs. I want us to sign the best players for the way we want to play, regardless of age. I'd rather we 'overpay' for a couple more Lavias than brought in experienced Walcotts, Mois and Orsics.

It’s a balance though. It’s not like every youngster we’ve signed has turned out to be a Lavia - there are a number with a lot to prove. First two games have highlighted that, in addition to exciting youth talent, we need some savvy Championship operators if we are to get out of this league.

1 minute ago, James said:

It’s a balance though. It’s not like every youngster we’ve signed has turned out to be a Lavia - there are a number with a lot to prove. First two games have highlighted that, in addition to exciting youth talent, we need some savvy Championship operators if we are to get out of this league.

At the moment our first choice defence is Manning, Stephens, Bednarek and KWP, plenty of experience there. Assuming JWP does leave we still have Stu, Djenepo and Aribo in midfield, plus AA, Tella and Che up front. This isn't a team full of kids, however some may try to paint it.

• Like 2

Just now, teamsaint said:

£30 m being mentioned, which would be an absolute bargain.

Maybe some last minute fun trying to twist Spurs’ arm ? 

either was, a gutter.

Would it really though? 

After a poor season by his standards in the Premier League, he's now playing Championship football and at 28 has no re-sale value to West Ham. I'd say it's about fair, although of course it would have been nice to get more. If a significant chunk of that (if not all) is upfront - which is sounds like it is now compared to the previous deal they put on the table - it'll help us buy our replacement targets sooner. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1