Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

7 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Ake went for over £40m when Bournemouth got relegated, Sissoko over £30m at Newcastle. I think it'll probably be in the £20-25m for someone with Tino's record, if he does go, but bigger fees are entirely plausible. Especially since we are financially stable and our better players have fairly long contracts. 

Saying no way should we sell for less than 35 is deluded for Tino given our championship status and his recent injury. He could possibly sell for that amount (he won't) but if you're saying its 35 and above or nothing then you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Then we keep him

Thats not really how it works. Champions league club wants him which we would struggle to prevent even if we were still in the prem. Some of our fans need to realise where we are now and where we sit in the pecking order. My prediction is 20-25 million which will be a reasonable price. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Thats not really how it works. Champions league club wants him which we would struggle to prevent even if we were still in the prem. Some of our fans need to realise where we are now and where we sit in the pecking order. My prediction is 20-25 million which will be a reasonable price. 

Stuff on here makes me laugh, when we are low balling bids we're lauded for playing hardball, not paying over the asking price, this is is our starting negotation point etc. When clubs do it to us THIS IS A  DISGRACE, NO WAY SHOULD WE SELL AT THAT PRICE, TELL THEM TO FUCK OFF, THIS IS A PISS TAKE etc etc 🤣

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

it is really how contracts work. especially after you've helped them recover from an ACL injury.

Every player in our squad has a price we'll allow them to leave for. We will not be letting a player with a contract until 2026 leave for 15 million.

Edited by Nolan
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Chez said:

Who is selling paying Stephens for £12m, Joe Girard?

Only guesstimates but I vaguely remember that figure being touted when Bournmouth came sniffing.

The individual prices don't matter. My point was that financially the club is potentially in good shape.

Plus do we care if they go?

10 minutes ago, Nolan said:

it is really how contracts work. especially after you've helped them recover from an ACL injury.

Every player in our squad has a price we'll allow them to leave for. We will not be letting a player with a contract until 2026 leave for 15 million.

OK mate. When he inevitably leaves for less than 30 million try not to be too upset. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nolan said:

I doubt the club ever expected him to stay for 5 years when he was signed for the club

Most likely he was convinced to join us as he was told he could go to CL club if one came in for him and like Hypo said he will probably go for £20 to £25 million

We have already got his replacement from Chelsea

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John B said:

I doubt the club ever expected him to stay for 5 years when he was signed for the club

Most likely he was convinced to join us as he was told he could go to CL club if one came in for him and like Hypo said he will probably go for £20 to £25 million

we aren't getting a player who has only played 9 times in PL2 to go straight into the First team...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

Losing our sellable assets, and bringing in underwhelming shite that no-one else wants is our future now.

Ryan Fraser. Fucking hell. 

I'm beginning to think getting relegated wasn't such a good idea after all. 

Ryan Fraser is a solid signing. The kind we could have done with last season

• Like 1

I wonder how many of the fans frothing at the mouth on here and twitter at the prospect of selling Tino for less than £35 million were around the last time we went down (my guess is very few.) Let's be very grateful that we have so many sellable assets this time around and will likely make many millions which should give us a clear advantage over pretty much every other team. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

I wonder how many of the fans frothing at the mouth on here and twitter at the prospect of selling Tino for less than £35 million were around the last time we went down (my guess is very few.) Let's be very grateful that we have so many sellable assets this time around and will likely make many millions which should give us a clear advantage over pretty much every other team. 

Lets hope we spend it wisely? 

But after last seasons shamble I am not confident we will

• Like 3

Just now, hypochondriac said:

This.

The fact we didnt have anyone to sell last time meant we almost went out of business!!! 

I never understand the attachment fans have to players, over the club, unless they've been absolute legends (Tiss, Ricky)  

Tino is a good player, he's played a relatively small amount for the club, we have a massive financial black hole to fill now so I'm keen to get ride of him if it helps us survive financial ruin. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tdmickey3 said:

We didn't have a clear financial advantage last season. Finding good championship players is a heck of a lot easier. Even average recruitment should see us perform well. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

2005 ≠ 2023

for a start Parachute payments were implemented in 2006

We certainly aren't getting £35 million but I just wouldn't sell for £15 as there is too much upside with 1 good season in the championship. 

If we take £15 ill will start to get nervous that SR are looking to recover as much money as possible when it "appears" that he is happy to stay. Even if he wants to go he aint going to kick up a fuss and have a strop if we make him stay as he needs games badly. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Bree might be a decent player for us in this league if he does go. Did well for Luton, think the step up was a bit much last season being thrown into a shit storm.

Agreed. He'll be decent for us, and confidence in him is perhaps why we're willing to move Tino on. 

1 minute ago, Baird of the land said:

Depending on a guy who was out of his depth last season seems nuts to me. 

He wasn't out of his depth last season - he was good in the championship, and there's no reason why he won't be this season. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, egg said:

He wasn't out of his depth last season - he was good in the championship, and there's no reason why he won't be this season. 

Agreed - weird comment saying out of depth last season so don't count on him. Maybe doesn't realise we have been relegated! 

• Like 2

Just now, skintsaint said:

Agreed - weird comment saying out of depth last season so don't count on him. Maybe doesn't realise we have been relegated! 

It's clear from a lot of the comments on this forum that people forget where we are now, and that the club will want/need to recoup a lot of money by selling a lot of players. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, egg said:

And i suppose Adam Armstrong is guaranteed to get 29 goals again because he did it at blackburn so we don't need to buy a striker

Selling our 2 actual quality right backs to rely on someone who looked competent in a luton team that played a very different style seems nuts to me. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, egg said:

It's clear from a lot of the comments on this forum that people forget where we are now, and that the club will want/need to recoup a lot of money by selling a lot of players. 

There's a worrying amount of people who haven't yet accepted we are a championship club. I think it was only when we got into league 1 last time that many realised where we were in the hierarchy. Relegation can be healthy because it removes this sense of entitlement that builds up the longer you stay in the prem. If we don't go up in the next year or two then teams like Bournemouth and Brentford can simply pick our carcass for whoever they fancy. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

And i suppose Adam Armstrong is guaranteed to get 29 goals again because he did it at blackburn so we don't need to buy a striker

Selling our 2 actual quality right backs to rely on someone who looked competent in a luton team that played a very different style seems nuts to me. 

If we sell kwp and Tino we will obviously get someone else in. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, John B said:

Asked my Chelsea supporting mate about Abu / Cho$en and he'd never heard of him. Conversely, when asked a couple of years ago about Livramento, he raved about him and said he would be brilliant for us...

12 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Martin plays 3 at the back which means he likes the wing backs to get forward I'm guessing. This article suggests he is good going forward. Seems a good fit for me.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/james-bree-from-luton-to-southampton-is-it-a-good-potential-move-would-he-start-what-does-he-offer/

Edited by skintsaint

27 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

There's a worrying amount of people who haven't yet accepted we are a championship club. I think it was only when we got into league 1 last time that many realised where we were in the hierarchy. Relegation can be healthy because it removes this sense of entitlement that builds up the longer you stay in the prem. If we don't go up in the next year or two then teams like Bournemouth and Brentford can simply pick our carcass for whoever they fancy. 

I accept that KWP, JWP, Lavia, ABK and numerous others will leave. I don't accept that we have to sell a young  full back for below market value when they've got three years left on their contract, are unlikely to be on huge wages and have only just recovered from a very serious injury

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer
  • Like 7

33 minutes ago, egg said:

Why will they want / need to recoup a lot of money? they even publicly said that the financial support is there to get the club back? 

I cant remember them ever saying we will financially support the club by selling anything that isn't nailed down which means its clear from your comments is that you are absolutely guessing and  / or they were lying.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, egg said:

Then they’ll lose even more money in the long run by not being in the Premier League.

I think there is a lot of speculation at the moment.  Fact is, we don’t know the direction the club is going in.  At the moment it’s pure guesswork.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Martin plays 3 at the back which means he likes the wing backs to get forward I'm guessing. This article suggests he is good going forward. Seems a good fit for me.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/james-bree-from-luton-to-southampton-is-it-a-good-potential-move-would-he-start-what-does-he-offer/

His delivery in the final third for us last season was fucking crap.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tdmickey3 said:

Our biggest sale will likely be Lavia - bought last summer under SR

Alcaraz and Sulemana both clearly have something and will turn a profit most likely - also bought last summer. 

Not every decision made by SR had been a bad one - just the really important ones 😉

30 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Plays 3 at the back? 

image.thumb.png.9854cd13338b86de3c554a020f977d24.png

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

I accept that KWP, JWP, Lavia, ABK and numerous others will leave. I don't accept that we have to sell a young  full back for below market value when they've got three years left on their contract, are unlikely to be on huge wages and have only just recovered from a very serious injury

Again, where has it been reported that we are going to sell him for 12 million? 20-25 million is probably about right for a club in our situation. We would have got more had we stayed up but that's life. 

23 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

Why will they want / need to recoup a lot of money? they even publicly said that the financial support is there to get the club back? 

I cant remember them ever saying we will financially support the club by selling anything that isn't nailed down which means its clear from your comments is that you are absolutely guessing and  / or they were lying.

We won't be selling everyone, I said that loads of times yesterday. I do think we will sell quite a few for the simple fact that they will want to go and we need to sell some due to the revenue drop and maybe if they don't suit the style we want to play. 

6 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Plays 3 at the back? 

image.thumb.png.9854cd13338b86de3c554a020f977d24.png

Oops, saw a article on him on the wingbacks pushing beyond the midfielders regularly - assumptions makes an ass out of me and me. No wonder he concedes a lot playing this way with just 2 centre backs then! 😅

8 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Doesn’t mean we won’t sell but good to see Jacob confirming the obvious, that we would not sell for £12-15m.

Yep and it's been reported in a few other places as well. So people are shitting themselves over nothing really. He will almost certainly go to Newcastle if they really want him but he's not going to go for a pittance. Hopefully not with Ryan fraser either... 

Edited by hypochondriac

3 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Doesn’t mean we won’t sell but good to see Jacob confirming the obvious, that we would not sell for £12-15m.

surely he means "no, they would not"

shocking from a so-called journalist @SaintRob__ can you call this clown out please? He might listen to you

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Yep and it's been reported in a few other places as well. So people are shitting themselves over nothing really. He will almost certainly go to Newcastle if they really want him but he's not going to go for a pittance. Hopefully not with Ryan fraser either... 

Our point of difference remains that you think £20-25m would be a fair price when I really think that's still too low when we could keep him for a season and see what his value is then

• Like 1