Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

15 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I have a horrible feeling this summer window is going to be a very painful one. 

That’s what my Watford-supporting mate said last year. In the end, they got rid of loads of dross but only a couple of genuine first-teamers. They kept Sarr etc…

They then finished mid table. Burnley on the other hand sold half their first team and won the league at a canter.

So relax. Anyway, it’s just rumours innit. 

• Like 4

I honestly think this is going to be a painful summer of transition. SR will be looking to bring in a fair whack to offset relegation and our most marketable players will undoubtedly go. That's not to say that Martin won't get players in who he thinks will suit his game plan, they just won't be marquee players. Bottom line is we are a championship club now and we are fishing in a different pool. Personally hope we give our youngsters, Ballard, Doyle, Dibling, SAA etc a good go alongside experienced pros who are used to second tier football. We need to get the balance right and we have half a chance. Lavia, Livramento, JWP, JWP will all depart, hopefully sooner rather than later so we can move on. My real worry is if SR really don't give a FF whether succeed or not? Time will tell

11 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

What's the worst conceivable yet realistic team we can make? 

Bazunu 

Bree bednarek Stephens Larios 

Armstrong new youngster Smallbone Edozie 

Armstrong Ballard 

Imagine if we did something like that. If we think of worst case scenario then almost anything will be better from there! 

Would be surprised if S.Armstrong is still here given he only has a year left. Unless he just leaves on a free next summer. 

Surely we need to start making moves for players given pre season training is starting this week and there's a little over 5 weeks until the start of the season. 

We know Martin's teams generally start slowly, but this could be an incredibly slow start if he has this sort of team available on the first day. 

6 minutes ago, dankiz15 said:

I honestly think this is going to be a painful summer of transition. SR will be looking to bring in a fair whack to offset relegation and our most marketable players will undoubtedly go. That's not to say that Martin won't get players in who he thinks will suit his game plan, they just won't be marquee players. Bottom line is we are a championship club now and we are fishing in a different pool. Personally hope we give our youngsters, Ballard, Doyle, Dibling, SAA etc a good go alongside experienced pros who are used to second tier football. We need to get the balance right and we have half a chance. Lavia, Livramento, JWP, JWP will all depart, hopefully sooner rather than later so we can move on. My real worry is if SR really don't give a FF whether succeed or not? Time will tell

I honestly think if we lose kwp, ABK, Tino, KWP, Lavia, Sulemana, Alcaraz, Tella and Adams then we really aren't going to have enough time to bring in replacements and create a coherent team no matter how much money we spend. For that reason, I think we are going to keep some of the players we may think we are going to sell. There will come a point where maybe some players will want to leave but we will have to say that they can't leave this summer at least. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

I honestly think if we lose kwp, ABK, Tino, KWP, Lavia, Sulemana, Alcaraz, Tella and Adams then we really aren't going to have enough time to bring in replacements and create a coherent team no matter how much money we spend. For that reason, I think we are going to keep some of the players we may, think we are going to sell. 

If we keep Charley and KS, I think we have a solid base of creativity! Guessing game at mo 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sussex_saint said:

You would think after he has benefited from some of the best medical and physio care in the world that he would repay our efforts to get him match fit he would stay at least a year, or to Christmas. 

That’s assuming it isn’t Saints cashing out? I guess they need to raise some cash from player sales, it’s always the unfortunate reality that the players we would like to stay are our most realisable assets.

6 minutes ago, dankiz15 said:

No matter what happens this summer I doubt at the end of it i’d describe it as painful, especially after the previous season. There’s few id keep but on the whole no worries if any go. It is time for a change.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

If we lose Lavia, jwp, Tino, Tella, Sulemana, Adams, Alcaraz and ABK then I agree with you. Need to be keeping at least two or three of them. 

Not a betting man I think none of those will be in Saints shirt come the first international break in September. Had we stayed up every single one of those would have been subject to similar speculation anyway. We are among a clutch of clubs who with a fair wind and a good season will get picked apart by those with the money, Obviously relegation makes us even more vulnerable than usual. The best we can hope for is getting absolute top fees for departees. Sadly I think we’ll start the season relatively cash rich, but player poor, the key will be how that cash is invested

Edited by Winnersaint

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I honestly think if we lose kwp, ABK, Tino, KWP, Lavia, Sulemana, Alcaraz, Tella and Adams then we really aren't going to have enough time to bring in replacements and create a coherent team no matter how much money we spend. For that reason, I think we are going to keep some of the players we may think we are going to sell. There will come a point where maybe some players will want to leave but we will have to say that they can't leave this summer at least. 

How many of those 9 do you think we will end up selling this summer? I'm going to go with 6.

2 minutes ago, Winnersaint said:

Not a betting man I think none of those will be in Saints shirt come the first international break in September. Had we stayed up every single one of those would have been subject to similar speculation anyway. We are among a clutch of clubs who with a fair wind and a good season will get picked apart by those with the money, Obviously relegation makes us even more vulnerable than usual. The best we can hope for is getting absolute top fees for departees. Sadly I think we’ll start the season relatively cash rich, but player poor, the key will be how that cash is invested

I may be naive but I can't see us selling all nine (I forgot kwp). 

It's feeling more and more likley that our starting 11 for the Championship is going to assemble something like Bree, Stephens, Simeu, Larios, Diallo, Smallbone, Moussa, Adam Armstrong.

Should be a laugh.

I thought Tino was one of the untouchables this year, a staggering move from all involved if that happens.

For us because of the fee, someone with a £40m release clause you do not sell for £10-15m. Ludicrous. For him because he's just recovering from a long term injury and has an oppertunity to repay the faith and the money we've spent on him helping him rehabilitate, he'll be a squad player and won't even play in front of Trippier. For Newcastle because he hasn't kicked a ball in 18 months, any sane club wait a bit to see how he is.

29 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

I know we were expecting players to leave this summer but with the Tino rumours that would leave RBs as Bree and Payne (assuming KWP also goes which we expect). With Lyanco, DCC, Stephens and Salisu most likely leaving we will only have Bednarek and ABK still here and the latter only because he's injured. JWP and Lavia will be gone too... we only have 5 weeks and 4 days until our first fixture.  I hope Sports Republic are really on it this summer or we are going to be starting the season slowly which will not be good for promotional aspirations.

What makes you think they are on it ? At no point to date have they been anywhere near it 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

Relegated team in best players leave shocker…

Said no one ever. 

Face it lads, the best players will leave to go to teams actually in the premier league if they get a chance, and who can blame ‘em. 

I don't think anyone is arguing that, but this one in particular leaves a really, really sour taste for me and rings some pretty big alarm bells in my head.

Edited by S-Clarke

It surely cannot be for £12-15m. That makes no sense at all. All the stories are seemingly coming from Newcastle side - not only are they a bunch of sport washing pr*cks, they are now working in the Levy school of media negotiations.

I naively thought Livramento was going be who’d stay and would be ok to do that in view of the support we’ve given him, but of course he’ll go if there’s a Prem move on the cards. £12-15m is an insult though. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, disconnect said:

£12 mill is an absolute joke for Tino. That better be the starting price with a lot of performance related add ons. I cant see why we'd even entertain a bid that low for him (unless his knee is completely screwed).

it’s a funny little fuck you to the club who have facilitated his recovery over the past year. 😂

Cant blame him though.

4 minutes ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

Relegated team in best players leave shocker…

Said no one ever. 

Face it lads, the best players will leave to go to teams actually in the premier league if they get a chance, and who can blame ‘em. 

I haven't seen a relegated team sell their best 9 or 10 players in one window. Don't think it's ever happened. 

Just now, hypochondriac said:

I haven't seen a relegated team sell their best 9 or 10 players in one window. Don't think it's ever happened. 

This is it for me, you keep some players you want to keep. Every club does. Sheffield United kept the likes of Berge, Watford kept Sarr and Pedro. It's not beyond the realms of realism for relegated sides to keep some of their 'PL' level players for at least 1 year, I'll be devastated if we don't. Tino going rings alarm bells for me. That's one sale we simply didn't need to happen and we should have just said ''No, we won't entertain anything - simple. Get your head down and focus on playing after 18 months of not''.

• Like 1

Just now, S-Clarke said:

This is it for me, you keep some players you want to keep. Every club does. Sheffield United kept the likes of Berge, Watford kept Sarr and Pedro. It's not beyond the realms of realism for relegated sides to keep some of their 'PL' level players for at least 1 year, I'll be devastated if we don't. Tino going rings alarm bells for me. That's one sale we simply didn't need to happen and we should have just said ''No, we won't entertain anything - simple. Get your head down and focus on playing after 18 months of not''.

Yep. If we point blank refused I can't imagine he would kick up a huge fuss or refuse to play. Unless it's an absolutely huge fee, I can't see us selling him at the moment. 

Just now, hypochondriac said:

Yep. If we point blank refused I can't imagine he would kick up a huge fuss or refuse to play. Unless it's an absolutely huge fee, I can't see us selling him at the moment. 

By all accounts we're about to sell him for £12m. 

The reports have clearly come from Newcastle's end. 

They are in talks with the players agent but they haven't made a bid yet. They are considering a £12 million bid yet we value him at £30 million.

This is nowhere near done. 

The only reason we would even entertain a bid that low, is if we were absolutely skint. You could buy him at that price, he could be crap, and you could still sell him at that price. 

Before his injury he was probably a £40-50m player. It would seem like a very odd move for all parties if I’m honest, but you never know with football. 

£15m is an insult, and I certainly wouldn’t want Ryan Fraser. 

14 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

It's all made up by journalists and also this is the greatest era in our history

Exactly this.

It's like a real estate agent walking outside your house and says I reckon I'll sell this cheap.

He tells his other agent friends who also list this cheap house for sale.

Only problem is no one's spoken to the owner and he isn't fucking selling.

• Like 2

A club who signed Chris Wood for £25m and Anthony Gordon for £45m and a club who now has infinite resources can't pick up Livramento for £12m. Livramento has three years on his contract and a £37m buyback clause, meaning that if it wasn't for his injury, we expected to him to at least become a £37m player when he signed, and is still possible.

£12m is a joke fee to start, Bazunu cost that and Ryan Fraser is a horrible little mercenary given what he did at Bournemouth and would only add to the reported poor atmosphere at the club.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

What accounts have said "we are about to sell him for £12m"

Fabrizo Romano, John Percy telegraph and SSN (but they're just copying those guys I guess)

Edited by S-Clarke

8 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

A club who signed Chris Wood for £25m and Anthony Gordon for £45m and a club who now has infinite resources can't pick up Livramento for £12m. Livramento has three years on his contract and a £37m buyback clause, meaning that if it wasn't for his injury, we expected to him to at least become a £37m player when he signed, and is still possible.

£12m is a joke fee to start, Bazunu cost that and Ryan Fraser is a horrible little mercenary given what he did at Bournemouth and would only add to the reported poor atmosphere at the club.

Unless he has a relegation release clause fee…

Tino linked with a move away and now theres going to be a mass exodus according to some 😂 season cant start soon enough if this is how the next 6-8 weeks is going to be on here fs.

Three guarantees;

Players will be sold (Lavia, JWP and KWP almost certainly)

Players will be bought

We wont have our pants pulled down as we're not desperate to sell, particularly if we sell the players listed above. 15m for Tino is derisory and hopefully we've told Eddie to piss off

44 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

If any team can, then would you bet against us being the first? 

Of course it’s unlikely to lose 9 or 10 of the best players but I am anticipating us losing the best of what we have, and will be delighted if they stay. 

1 minute ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

If any team can, then would you bet against us being the first? 

Of course it’s unlikely to lose 9 or 10 of the best players but I am anticipating us losing the best of what we have, and will be delighted if they stay. 

I've listed the 9 or 10 (if you include Salisu) that I would consider to be our best players. They are the best of what we have. I don't think we will sell them all this summer.