Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

I know this is Crook so pinch of salt

Newcastle won’t pay #SaintsFC’s £30m for Valentino Livramento - clubs are miles apart on valuations. 

Clubs are ‘shocked’ at the prices set by Southampton for other plays including James Ward-Prowse and Kyle Walker-Peter. 

[@alex_crook via @talkSPORT] 🥈

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Newcastle won’t pay #SaintsFC’s £30m for Valentino Livramento - clubs are miles apart on valuations. 

Clubs are ‘shocked’ at the prices set by Southampton for other plays including James Ward-Prowse and Kyle Walker-Peter. 

Newcastle aint shocked we want a shed load more than £12m. If they want a player, he must be fucking good. Fucking good doesn't cost £12m. 

• Like 11

7 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

“Shocked”? Pull the other one. What a load of crap.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Exactly perhaps we should bid 12m for Bruno

"We were shocked when Newcastle said they wanted more than £12m for Bruno. They must think we are bloomin made of money here down sarf. We will move on and look at other targets that are realistically priced. Good luck to them finding a buyer." 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

So whilst i agree you don't want to blow the bank on year 1 i also don't think you should be aiming for later years over year 1. I'd think statistics would suggest there are better odds of getting out quickly than hanging round as the financial advantage of parachute payments dissipates. History would also i think back up how dangerous it is to leave it to the 3rd year. 

Sounds like we pretty much agree. I don't think we should leave it to the third year either but we do have to at least entertain the possibility that we don't manage promotion in the first two years. We can't just go mental banking on promotion by year 2.

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Sounds like we pretty much agree. I don't think we should leave it to the third year either but we do have to at least entertain the possibility that we don't manage promotion in the first two years. We can't just go mental banking on promotion by year 2.

Yep and we all know what happened last time we didn't get promotion after 2 years having gone all or bust in yr 2

24 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Talksport is just shit repeated over and over again.

They're reporting is the equivalent I saying “a friend of a friend of a friend says”…

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

They would really be better off going for KWP, £25m would do it and he's better than what they have at LB and would be decent back-up/competition for Trippier at RB who, while excellent, is 32 and not getting any younger.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DT said:

Must be hard stumping up another measly £5 mill for Livramento when you own an actual country. Jeez.

Can't stand the Newcastle media love in/sportswashing ignoring.

In fairness, that's not what the tweet says.

But agreed on the love in / brutal killing side of things

The media seem desperate to flog our players as cheaply as possible, and then to print mock outrage at how much we are asking. Makes me want to speculate that we are actually driving a hard bargain on the basis that otherwise we'd be reading a lot more stories about deals being accepted etc. Also ties in with the tough line we took with Swansea.

The fans won't accept players being sold for perceived cheap prices. Equally this is something of a litmus test for SR's business model of trying to maximise player trading profit.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 4

40 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Looks like Chelsea have about 40/50% as well, crikey.

To flesh this out for anyone who can't be bothered to read the full piece / is getting confused...

- Saints paid £4m for him in 2021
- There is a clause in the deal that Chelsea take a cut of the profit on any future sale to a third club
- However, the bigger the profit, the more the Chelsea % of the deal increases on a sliding scale
- Effectively, this was so that if he became a star, both teams would make £20-£30m each
- If he was decent but not quite a star, then Saints would recoup a higher % of the money
- Example 1: Saints agree to sell Tino for £30m, then we keep £18m and Chelsea get £12m
- Example 2: Saints agree to sell Tino for £50m, then we keep £28m and Chelsea get £22m
- Newcastle's last offer prior to going public via The Telegraph was £23m (£15m to us, £8m to Chelsea)
- That's how the £15m figure got into the public domain
- Saints would like to make £20m-£30m from any sale, but Newcastle don't want to pay more than £30m in total

* Bonus: Chelsea's buy-back clause becomes active this summer, therefore if Chelsea want to buy him back then that bar is set at £50m
(of which £12m profit would go to Chelsea anyway, meaning they would only need to pay £38m to Saints)

Edited by CSA96
  • Like 7

17 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

To flesh this out for anyone who can't be bothered to read the full piece / is getting confused...

- There is a clause in the deal that Chelsea take a cut of the profit on any future sale to a third club
- However, the bigger the profit, the more the Chelsea % of the deal increases on a sliding scale
- Effectively, this was so that if he became a star, both teams would make £20-£30m each
- If he was decent but not quite a star, then Saints would recoup a higher % of the money
- Example 1: Saints agree to sell Tino for £30m, then we keep £18m and Chelsea get £12m
- Example 2: Saints agree to sell Tino for £50m, then we keep £28m and Chelsea get £22m
- Newcastle's last offer prior to going public via The Telegraph was £23m (£15m to us, £8m to Chelsea)
- Saints would like to make £20m-£30m from any sale, but Newcastle don't want to pay more than £30m in total

* Bonus: Chelsea's buy-back clause becomes active this summer, therefore if Chelsea want to buy him back then that bar is set at £50m
(of which £12m profit would go to Chelsea anyway, meaning they would only need to pay £38m to Saints)

Why would Chelsea get £12m profit if they went with the buy back clause? They are not a third club.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Granite_City_Saint said:

Why would Chelsea get £12m profit if they went with the buy back clause? They are not a third club.

The third club bit is probably a bit of clunky wording on my side, to be fair. It applies to any club (including CFC)

People really need to curb their expectations of this lad. The step from youth/reserve football is absolutely massive and we shouldn't be placing so much expectation on him.

Hopefully he's more Theo Walcott/Gareth Bale in his breakthrough, rather than Matthew Patterson...

• Like 1

Think we need to put our foot down somewhere along the line .. make a plan who we actually are happy to sell and who we want to stay .. not just everyone can leave if it’s a option.

players like Alcaraz and sulemana especially have only just got here .. and should be giving us at least one full season ., im sure if we say how ambitious we are and tell them they are a key part in us getting promoted first time they will get their heads down 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

I saw a few wearing it at hospital yesterday it looks a lot better than on photograph 

shouldn't they be wearing doctors or nurses uniforms ? or is this some sort of marketing initiative by saints for when our fans say your going home in a fucking ambulance ?

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

shouldn't they be wearing doctors or nurses uniforms ? or is this some sort of marketing initiative by saints for when our fans say your going home in a fucking ambulance ?

No it was the players getting x rays after  the extra 1k passes at training possession practice 

Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, goodymatt said:

Where are they getting this bollocks from?

Do they seriously expect people to believe that someone inside the club has been in contact with the press and told them exactly how much we would be willing to accept for Tella? Do me a favour. This is speculative reporting at its worst and can be safely ignored IMO.

2 hours ago, CSA96 said:

You missed one point. Saints have effectively told Newcastle they need them to spend about £50m (so they can make about £25m-£30m). That is a huge fee. Perhaps our friend Crook was spot on after all. Newcastle may well have been shocked at the size of our demands.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chez said:

You missed one point. Saints have effectively told Newcastle they need them to spend about £50m (so they can make about £25m-£30m). That is a huge fee. Perhaps our friend Crook was spot on after all. Newcastle may well have been shocked at the size of our demands.

Newcastle and their murderous owners can fuck off then.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Dusic said:

The shame about Tino is that he would have been the best player of his position in the league had he stayed, or almost certainly the best.

With the volume of players who will leave there is a danger of ending up very average.

People expect us to be right in the promotion race but you do actually have to be a good team to do that, and I don't see that too many of our good players will still be around in Sept, certainly not the ones that will be considered amongst the best in the division.

I think we will end up signing a lot of players in August after the season has started as many outgoings will also be done late.

August and January but my otherwise my thoughts exactly. We are going to have to completely rebuild our squad and we have 5 weeks until our first fixture. I think we start slow but will pick up results later on and squeeze into the play offs. Championship is a tough league.

10 hours ago, Dusic said:

Leicester moving for Harry Winks. He will be an excellent player at Championship level, particularly in a ball oriented team.

Mirror also reporting Conor Coady set to join them, too.  Martyn Glover working through his Saints back-catalog.