Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

23 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Coady is a frustrating one, he is everything this squad has been lacking. Not just defensive ability, but leadership - we're still a bunch of kids, nothing has changed in that respect, so getting someone like Coady would make a huge difference to us. Similar to the impact Dawson had at West Ham when he went there if you remember.

I'm nervous that the only links to incomings are once again, youth team players who haven't played first team football yet. It was the wrong approach last year and that hasn't changed this year.

The desire for people to spend their money watching players past their best knows no bounds. 

Much rather watch young and potential stars play every week than players I know have a ceiling. Neither strategy is guaranteed results.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Fabrice29 said:

The desire for people to spend their money watching players past their best knows no bounds. 

Much rather watch young and potential stars play every week than players I know have a ceiling. Neither strategy is guaranteed results.

Yeah that's gone brilliantly hasn't it. You need a blend, if you want to watch a team full of potential stars watch U21s football

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 8

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Maddison is a different level to JWP though. 

Just to think, Maddison chose Leicester over us. So we simply moved on, and signed Elyonoussi. 

That's some leap. Can't believe there wasn't something better between the two of them.

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

What are you on about? No one is saying 'stop signing young players', you need a mix. We can't just focus on youth players. 

I hope this summer we don't!

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Yeah that's gone brilliantly hasn't it. You need a blend

We had a blend. As you say, that went brilliantly. 

Baz (21)
KWP (26) Bednarek (27) ABK (21) Perraud (25)
JWP (28) Lavia (19)
Moi (28) Alcaraz (20) Sulemana (21)
Che (26)

However, if we replace our older guys with youngsters then we won't have a blend. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

I wouldn’t, unless it’s a home grown product. I get no satisfaction from witnessing developing talent which other teams will ultimately benefit from, and that’s for the 1 in 10 or whatever that actually work out. I’d like to see a few old dogs of war in the team that are committed to us for what remains of their careers, players I feel I can have some kind of connection with, unlike the bunch of arrogant little pricks we have been signing recently. That’s how it all started for me, lawrie mcmennys rag tag army of stars in the later years of their careers.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Yeah that's gone brilliantly hasn't it. You need a blend, if you want to watch a team full of potential stars watch U21s football

Our squad has a host of players who aren’t young and have experience including players in this league. I’d like to see a lot of those leave in fairness but suspect some will naturally stay. We don’t need to sign players who are exclusively under 21 but don’t really get the desire to sign players who are clearly past their best like Coady and Winks. You can get experience and still haven’t reached their ceiling. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

Say whatever you like, they still managed to get relegated spending a lot more money than we have. Those are hardly jizzing my pants signings either, especially with their better players being past it and Maddy heading off to Spurs.

Exactly, all of that, plus the guy who used to make Pep’s coffee in charge and they aren’t linked with one £10m City youth player.

Their fans must be fuming.

16 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

It's behind a paywall so I can't read it, but does this mean that Jacob has discovered the intricacies of percentages?

If you ever want to view full articles that sit behind a paywall simply copy the url and paste it into a webpage archive site like https://archive.ph/ 

The article will have been archived automatically by other users and so you get to read the full piece. I use this a lot for browsing nytimes, indie and theathletic. Of course, the article won't likely be available immediately as it needs to be archived first but I never usually read articles the second they are published.

I realise this isn't strictly ethical as revenues pay wages somewhere along the line but then again, I remember when the internet was free and used for good so I'm happy with my decisions.  

The full article related to this post is available here btw https://archive.ph/ZxsP5

Edited by jasonb
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

What are you on about? No one is saying 'stop signing young players', you need a mix. We can't just focus on youth players. 

I hope this summer we don't!

Baz (21), Larios (19), ABK (21), Lavia (19), Edozie (20), Mara (20), Alcaraz (20), Sulemana (21)

Lis (26), Carleta Car (26), Aribo (26), Bree (25), Onuachu (29), Orsic (30)

I don't care how old the new signings are, just how good they are. You could argue (and the club tried) that if we can afford them, the experienced players tend not to be good enough anyway. Maybe that changes in the Championship? 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, jasonb said:

I realise this isn't strictly ethical as revenues pay wages somewhere along the line but then again, I remember when the internet was free and used for good so I'm happy with my decisions.  

The full article related to this post is available here btw https://archive.ph/ZxsP5

I won't lose too much sleep about this given the ethics of journalists.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I’d like to see a few old dogs of war in the team that are committed to us for what remains of their careers, players I feel I can have some kind of connection with, unlike the bunch of arrogant little pricks we have been signing recently. That’s how it all started for me, lawrie mcmennys rag tag army of stars in the later years of their careers.

The 1983/4 side:

Shilton (33)
Mills (34) K.Armstrong (25) Wright (19) Agboola (22)
Williams (25) D.Armstrong (29) Holmes (29)
Wallace (20) Moran (23) Worthington (35)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Chez said:

The 1983/4 side:

Shilton (33)

Fantastic team that was ! Could and maybe should have won the FA Cup and league that season.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Chez said:

The 1983/4 side:

Shilton (33)

You forgot Mark Dennis who would have been about 23.

But as you see a lot of experienced players there, playing in Europe, cup finals, world cups, lots of england caps. Not just crap players who happen to have played a lot of premier league games because we dont have anyone better. That along with some good young players. Only one teenager, not half a dozen like we've got.

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

But as you see a lot of experienced players there, playing in Europe, cup finals, world cups, lots of england caps. Not just crap players who happen to have played a lot of premier league games because we dont have anyone better. That along with some good young players. Only one teenager, not half a dozen like we've got.

We don't have half a dozen teenagers in and around the first team - only Lavia, and Livramento - who, for my money, have both been decent

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Danbert said:

We don't have half a dozen teenagers in and around the first team - only Lavia, and Livramento - who, for my money, have both been decent

only because Larios, Edozie, Mara and the others quickly proved themselves to be not good enough. So we've had to muddle on with shite like Adam Armstrong and Elyanoussi. Unless you think we spent all that money to fill out the U21s?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Turkish said:

only because Larios, Edozie, Mara and the others quickly proved themselves to be not good enough. So we've had to muddle on with shite like Adam Armstrong and Elyanoussi. Unless you think we spent all that money to fill out the U21s?

Bazunu isn't far off being a teenager as well and may as well be considering how vital experience is in his position. 

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Agboola played 33 games. Not sure how many Dennis played. If they both played (not sure they did) that would have been a pretty young back four.

1 hour ago, Chez said:

We had a blend. As you say, that went brilliantly. 

Baz (21)
KWP (26) Bednarek (27) ABK (21) Perraud (25)
JWP (28) Lavia (19)
Moi (28) Alcaraz (20) Sulemana (21)
Che (26)

However, if we replace our older guys with youngsters then we won't have a blend. 

swap Moi and Che out for better players (which shouldnt have been too hard) and we would likely have stayed up and the younger ones would have developed. Small margins and now we face losing the best of the rest.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wild-saint said:

swap Moi and Che out for better players (which shouldnt have been too hard) and we would likely have stayed up and the younger ones would have developed. Small margins and now we face losing the best of the rest.

Baz was one of the biggest reasons we went down last season. Way too inexperienced and total shite. Should never have been in a PL side. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

we'd of still gone down. In addition to the two positions you mentioned, we needed a really good keeper and CB. Also the Alcaraz and Sulemena signings were needed in the summer not January. Instead we got Aribo and Edozie.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Coady is a frustrating one, he is everything this squad has been lacking. Not just defensive ability, but leadership - we're still a bunch of kids, nothing has changed in that respect, so getting someone like Coady would make a huge difference to us. Similar to the impact Dawson had at West Ham when he went there if you remember.

I'm nervous that the only links to incomings are once again, youth team players who haven't played first team football yet. It was the wrong approach last year and that hasn't changed this year.

In fairness, what we need to sign will be linked to what we let go. We can ship out an awful lot of high wage squad fillers and not need to replace them with anything other than a smattering of academy players... our squad last season was bloated and full of shite.

16 minutes ago, Chez said:

Hard to imagine us getting him without giving them a central midfileder they want in return. We all know Lavia is leaving, so i would see if there is a possibility of selling them lavia with a nice sell on clause and take downes as part of the deal.

17 minutes ago, Chez said:

we'd of still gone down. In addition to the two positions you mentioned, we needed a really good keeper and CB. Also the Alcaraz and Sulemena signings were needed in the summer not January. Instead we got Aribo and Edozie.

Agree with all that but I'd argue a key missing ingredient was a starting defensive midfielder to play alongside Lavia, allowing JWP to play further forward. 

Not too mention a second left back to provide competition and cover for Perraud (and allowing KWP to stay on the right) as well as a good replacement for the injured Livramento.

But these were all needed back in the summer - not January or never.

Just now, Saint86 said:

Hard to imagine us getting him without giving them a central midfileder they want in return. We all know Lavia is leaving, so i would see if there is a possibility of selling them lavia with a nice sell on clause and take downes as part of the deal.

I've mentioned it before. Makes more sense for West Ham to try to get Lavia than JWP. It will be interesting should they provide a suitable bid and the bigger clubs fail to do so what Lavia will do. Will he do a `Gakpo' and wait for the big clubs to see the light or make the move and continue his path upwards? If he turns down that move where does it leave us financially? do we have to accept a lower bid from a big side?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Agree with all that but I'd argue a key missing ingredient was a starting defensive midfielder to play alongside Lavia, allowing JWP to play further forward. 

Not too mention a second left back to provide competition and cover for Perraud (and allowing KWP to stay on the right) as well as a good replacement for the injured Livramento.

But these were all needed back in the summer - not January or never.

We had too many holes that needed filling last summer. The centre forward position was a mess. The lack of pace and flair in the attacking midfield roles.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chez said:

I've mentioned it before. Makes more sense for West Ham to try to get Lavia than JWP. It will be interesting should they provide a suitable bid and the bigger clubs fail to do so what Lavia will do. Will he do a `Gakpo' and wait for the big clubs to see the light or make the move and continue his path upwards? If he turns down that move where does it leave us financially? do we have to accept a lower bid from a big side?

I'd suggest his 'value' to us would be greater if he helps see us promoted again, irrespective of what we might sell him for in twelve months.

The danger of course is we don't make it for promotion, or if he has a crap/injury plagued season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Agboola played 33 games. Not sure how many Dennis played. If they both played (not sure they did) that would have been a pretty young back four.

I seem to remember Agboola was sometimes used as a sweeper in a back 5

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

We could be in for a decent pay day if West Ham do indeed come in for JWP. £40-45m, that'll do nicely.

I doubt we will get £30m for him. He is not rated the same elsewhere than he is by our fanbase

Edited by OldNick
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, OldNick said:

I doubt we will get £30m for him. He is not rated the same elsewhere than he is by our fanbase

Agreed, we can hold out for more if WHU are the team to come in though. I'm starting to lean with Fareham's view - there's much better value abroad for that kind of money.

27 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

Agreed, we can hold out for more if WHU are the team to come in though. I'm starting to lean with Fareham's view - there's much better value abroad for that kind of money.

Not in terms of what he gives us there isn't. He could easily get 15-20 goals next season for us from midfield plus get into double figures for assists. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Not in terms of what he gives us there isn't. He could easily get 15-20 goals next season for us from midfield plus get into double figures for assists. 

My god, I do hope you are right. You need to get a bet on that. 

Personally I'd divide it by 2 for goals scored. ( unless we get 10-15 penalties ) He may do the double figure assists 

1 hour ago, OldNick said:

My god, I do hope you are right. You need to get a bet on that. 

Personally I'd divide it by 2 for goals scored. ( unless we get 10-15 penalties ) He may do the double figure assists 

Got to think about two things for him. One is the extra time and space you get in the championship - watch Che Adams goal compilations, that's how he got loads of his. 

The second is there will be a lot more fouls committed around the box than there were in the Prem. 

1 hour ago, OldNick said:

Its clear that the club want to keep him (and others) and are putting high prices on our players. This is a good thing.

Remains to be seen whether we'll need to accept cheaper offers come the end of the window. But for anything less than £45M i'd keep JWP.

• Like 3

The issue with last summer was the lack of a plan and the old belief of maintaining the £15-£20m price range, which doesn't get a lot in the Premier League these days. 15 players signed across both windows, too scattergun. We could have signed 4 players for £35m - A goalkeeper, a centre-back a centre-mid and a striker and the team would have been serviceable depending on the quality of those coming, while spending the same amount of money. We bought VvD for quite a high fee of £13m eight years ago, making him the most expensive Dutch defender. But, we still made a £62m profit on him and there probably wasn't as many add-ons as we see in all our deals these days because we paid a good initial fee. The club, weirdly has just been ignorant to inflation.

You see Brighton making £40m bids for Levi Colwill this summer and Brentford bidding £30m for Brennan Johnson. The two current benchmark clubs. But, you couldn't imagine us spending fees like that, which is what you need to pay to get a proven player these days.

£10m is expensive for a Championship signing, Ruben Neves and Britt Assombalonga are the record transfers for this level at £15m, so we should at least be able to sign some top players down here.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

The issue with last summer was the lack of a plan and the old belief of maintaining the £15-£20m price range, which doesn't get a lot in the Premier League these days. 15 players signed across both windows, too scattergun. We could have signed 4 players for £35m - A goalkeeper, a centre-back a centre-mid and a striker and the team would have been serviceable depending on the quality of those coming, while spending the same amount of money. We bought VvD for quite a high fee of £13m eight years ago, making him the most expensive Dutch defender. But, we still made a £62m profit on him and there probably wasn't as many add-ons as we see in all our deals these days because we paid a good initial fee. The club, weirdly has just been ignorant to inflation.

You see Brighton making £40m bids for Levi Colwill this summer and Brentford bidding £30m for Brennan Johnson. The two current benchmark clubs. But, you couldn't imagine us spending fees like that, which is what you need to pay to get a proven player these days.

£10m is expensive for a Championship signing, Ruben Neves and Britt Assombalonga are the record transfers for this level at £15m, so we should at least be able to sign some top players down here.

gets Tella and Tino apparently