Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

1 minute ago, egg said:

Not ideal!! He was 16/17 though when he came out with that nonsense. 

Yeah he'd have been 16. If people judged me on stuff I said when I was 16, I'd probably have no job, home or generally anything.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Bad Wolf said:

Yeah he'd have been 16. If people judged me on stuff I said when I was 16, I'd probably have no job, home or generally anything.

Yep...he's lucky that football bans are famed for their forgiveness. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, LaptopSaint said:

I’m pretty sure Harry Kane spent most of his first season on loan at Orient sitting on the bench. 

Looking forward to the reaction when Delap hits 20 for Hull 🤣

Didnt even hit 5 between his spells at Stoke and Preston last season

1 hour ago, egg said:

Not ideal!! He was 16/17 though when he came out with that nonsense. 

Oh I don’t know, I hated Spurs when I was 16 and 40 years later still do but doubtless if they were paying me mega bucks I could change my mind as well 🤣

8 minutes ago, Maggie May said:

Leicester sign Coady and Winks. Very solid signings for the Championship. On paper they should be a shoo-in for the title but I’m not convinced their new boss will be much cop. We shall see.

Yep two good signings. Whilst were linked with kids and Swansea players 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

It's fine though, it's your job to huff and puff and blow houses down

• Haha 4

Long way to go yet and I suspect Saints will be left waiting until the last minute to offload some of our better players in panic buys, leaving Martin in the lurch regarding filling gaps.  There’s a good two thirds of the squad I would not be unhappy losing, but I don’t see that many players getting decent moves elsewhere…they’ll end up staying and stinking the place out unhappy that they’re still associated with a relegated side with high performance expectations. They’ll get picked because their stats look good and then they’ll perform terribly on matchday when the chips are down. It’s going to be a tough old season ahead I fear (unless we have a spectacularly successful summer window).

Edited by Saint Fan CaM
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Long way to go yet and I suspect Saints will be left waiting until the last minute to offload some of our better players in panic buys, leaving Martin in the lurch regarding filling gaps.  There’s a good two thirds of the squad I would not be unhappy losing, but I don’t see that many players getting decent moves elsewhere…they’ll end up staying and stinking the place out unhappy that they’re still associated with a relegated side with high performance expectations. They’ll get picked because their stats look good and then they’ll perform terribly on matchday when the chips are down. It’s going to be a tough old season ahead I fear (unless we have a spectacularly successful summer window).

I think that’s an unnecessarily negative view of how things might pan out. Martin has already said that he and Wilcox have been discussing incomings prior to his arrival, and with Wilcox and Mowbray officially starting today, things will start to gather pace soon I imagine. RM will know who he wants and SR has promised backing. Some of our players have gone, and more will go but RM may well be working his magic on others to stay. If Tella, Sulemana and maybe Alcaraz remain - and SR sensibly demanding top dollar for any players who might leave will help in that regard - then with some judicious additions I think this could be a very exciting season. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, InvictaSaint said:

I think that’s an unnecessarily negative view of how things might pan out. Martin has already said that he and Wilcox have been discussing incomings prior to his arrival, and with Wilcox and Mowbray officially starting today, things will start to gather pace soon I imagine. RM will know who he wants and SR has promised backing. Some of our players have gone, and more will go but RM may well be working his magic on others to stay. If Tella, Sulemana and maybe Alcaraz remain - and SR sensibly demanding top dollar for any players who might leave will help in that regard - then with some judicious additions I think this could be a very exciting season. 

I don’t disagree that your scenario might happen, but history has a habit of repeating itself.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Sadly, this is looking a likely scenario. Bringing Martin in was protracted and wasted time and it seems to have set the tone for our transfers this summer. Off to Reading in 3 weeks time and more than half the team will be the same losers as we had last season. Get a move on chappies, there's dross to offload and a spine to build in a team and we ain't got that long.

9 minutes ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Sadly, this is looking a likely scenario. Bringing Martin in was protracted and wasted time and it seems to have set the tone for our transfers this summer. Off to Reading in 3 weeks time and more than half the team will be the same losers as we had last season. Get a move on chappies, there's dross to offload and a spine to build in a team and we ain't got that long.

In what way ?

I am slightly concerned we’ve seen no incomings so far but the only players we’ve lost so far are Ely and Orsic… so incomings will be heavily dependent on who we lose over the next couple of weeks

I really couldn’t care less about the signing of Winks, he’ll be ok at this level but there’s a reason Sampdoria weren’t interested in making his loan permanent

Coady I would have liked but there’s plenty of evidence that suggests he can’t play in a back 4 so Im not convinced it would have made a lot of sense for us

I’d be far more concerned if Piroe goes to Leeds or Leicester 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

DTLW posted this on Not606;

Besiktas have their sporting director flying to the UK to meet Wilcox to try and reach an agreement for Joe Aribo.

Please be true, please reach an agreement, please get the lazy sod out of the club.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Chin up mate, it's only July 1st. And to be honest keeping some of our existing players for the start of the season wouldn't be a terrible thing

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, saint lard said:

I will be completely honest…I thought he was going to be a blinding signing. 
so bloody frustrating. 

Me too. Thought he’d give us a decent bit of power and guile in attack. Been a real disappointment 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Me too. Thought he’d give us a decent bit of power and guile in attack. Been a real disappointment 

I think he could be a key player this season in a different style. He is suited to a ball oriented style where he would have lots of touches and could probably play in his best position, which he rarely did last season.

IMO unless we suddenly get a great offer for him (which is unlikely especially from a Turkish club), I don't see why we would bomb him out at a massive loss or on loan. Totally different situation to Orsic and Aribo made his name in the EFL so it will be a known quantity for him.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SaintsFan86 said:

DTLW posted this on Not606;

Besiktas have their sporting director flying to the UK to meet Wilcox to try and reach an agreement for Joe Aribo.

They can offer him any contract they like, there’s no way he can be arsed reading it before he signs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

In what way ?

I am slightly concerned we’ve seen no incomings so far but the only players we’ve lost so far are Ely and Orsic… so incomings will be heavily dependent on who we lose over the next couple of weeks

I really couldn’t care less about the signing of Winks, he’ll be ok at this level but there’s a reason Sampdoria weren’t interested in making his loan permanent

Coady I would have liked but there’s plenty of evidence that suggests he can’t play in a back 4 so Im not convinced it would have made a lot of sense for us

You forgot Walcott too

• Like 1

Went to British Open at St Andrews last year, got chatting to taxi driver about Aribo!!I I was saying how I thought he would b a great signing for us, he was pissing himself laughing saying how he would drive him down himself! Couldn't believe we wanted to pay money for him, saying he would take it round players, look quite talented, then fall over ball everytime 😂!! Always listen to Joe le taxi 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dusic said:

I think he could be a key player this season in a different style. He is suited to a ball oriented style where he would have lots of touches and could probably play in his best position, which he rarely did last season.

IMO unless we suddenly get a great offer for him (which is unlikely especially from a Turkish club), I don't see why we would bomb him out at a massive loss or on loan. Totally different situation to Orsic and Aribo made his name in the EFL so it will be a known quantity for him.

I agree with the first part but I wonder what wage he's on and whether that influences our desire to get rid

11 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

In what way ?

I think it is reasonable to be concerned about incomings but we have a huge squad many of which should do OK in the Championship

So do you think it is reasonable to get rid of some of them before buying in more.

We need a squad of decent players who play regularly together not a squad of players where the team changes each week at the whim of the manager

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John B said:

I think it is reasonable to be concerned about incomings but we have a huge squad many of which should do OK in the Championship

So do you think it is reasonable to get rid of some of them before buying in more.

We need a squad of decent players who play regularly together not a squad of players where the team changes each week at the whim of the manager

My point is… until we know IF the likes of Prowse/Lavia/ABK/Salisu/Tella/Sulemana are definitely leaving then there is very little point buying replacements because;

1. They are on significant wages

2. If they remain they will likely form the backbone of the side as they are ‘arguably’ as good or better than any replacements we can get

It sort of leaves us in a bit of a situation within which we don’t want to force a move, we want the best money available but also we need to know where we are so we can plan accordingly

As for the whim of the manager, this is why we’ve needed the joined up thinking Ive been asking for for so long, and hopefully we’re getting this year

• Like 5

Not surprised we haven't bought anyone. Our squad is massive and we've only sold Orsic so far. Hopefully if jwp and Lavia depart, we get top dollar for them. Prefer £50m in August than £35m today. Whether it plays out like that, I'm not sure. It's going to be fascinating to see how our summer will go.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Looks like Aribo may be off to Besiktas but bet that will just be a loan that doesn’t help us much.

Gets him off our wage bill for a year. Didn't Deli Ali go there? Loan with possible transfer that never happened?

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Not surprised we haven't bought anyone. Our squad is massive and we've only sold Orsic so far. Hopefully if jwp and Lavia depart, we get top dollar for them. Prefer £50m in August than £35m today. Whether it plays out like that, I'm not sure. It's going to be fascinating to see how our summer will go.

It will be fascinating - I have complete faith in Sport Republic’s ability to make us much worse this transfer window 

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Gets him off our wage bill for a year. Didn't Deli Ali go there? Loan with possible transfer that never happened?

Yes they ensure the quota or qualification for purchase never kicks in.

Its hard to know if he had the 40% wage drop clause too.

1 hour ago, Chez said:

This is exactly it, and the bit of realism needed. I think we had 30 odd players at the end of last season, way too much.

We can't go adding more whilst we haven't shifted some of the existing, a bloated squad in the PL is bad enough but financially totally unsustainable in the Championship.

Leicester have lost half of their team, two CB's, two CM's etc - so they need reinforcements. Sadly the size of our squad is going to mean we miss out on some of the early options in the window, but we created that bed in January in a desperate attempt to stay up.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Chez said:

You might think that, whatever happens, we need to recruit an absolute minimum of 1  for CM, unless we really think that Lavia and JWP will be here for the season.

I guess elsewhere in the squad we can pretty much make do even with a few sales and nobody  incoming ? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, teamsaint said:

You might think that, whatever happens, we need to recruit an absolute minimum of 1  for CM, unless we really think that Lavia and JWP will be here for the season.

I guess elsewhere in the squad we can pretty much make do even with a few sales and nobody  incoming ? 

I think regardless of overall squad shape we probably need a striker and a CM

A striker because we’ve been searching for one for a couple of years with no real luck and despite my opinion that Che ‘should’ do ok this year Id feel a lot more confident with a Gyokeres or Piroe

A CM because Martin will likely line up with 3 midfielders and so even in the unlikely case that we start the season with Lavia and JWP I feel we’ll look to bring in another, probably Grimes unless Swansea play absolute hard ball

• Like 1