Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

2 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

I have a feeling SR that will play hardball on transfer fees for our best players, especially the ones we would prefer to keep. If they set high release fees and stick to their guns some suitors will be put off simply because they will have hoped that we will be desperate enough for cash to accept ridiculously low offers such as the derisory alleged offer for Tina Livramento.

Even if a player is determined to leave, somebody will still have to pay the money. If SR dig in early on word will soon spread that they are no soft touch and so we might find that so called interest in some of our players could dissipate rapidly.

I guess the principle is set low fees for the players we no longer want but much higher ones for the players that we would prefer to hold onto. Fingers crossed we might indeed end up keeping gems like Alcaraz, Suleman, Tella & Livramento. Let's see it fro Saints point of view for a change not the players.

I think the fact they have reportedly requested £50m for JWP and £50m for Livramento backs that up. Early days though. What we say we want and what we settle for are not the same. I think we requested €4m for Orsic and appear to havre got close to that.  Still a sizeable loss on the £8m we paud for him (possibly) mind you.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chez said:

I think the fact they have reportedly requested £50m for JWP and £50m for Livramento backs that up. Early days though. What we say we want and what we settle for are not the same. I think we requested €4m for Orsic and appear to havre got close to that.  Still a sizeable loss on the £8m we paud for him (possibly) mind you.

Orsic may indeed have been a case in point, we could have set the fee low because we didn't want him.

6 minutes ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

This the one...
image.png.b0a82fb005b20b654b3124d6052bf543.png

I wonder if this could be an area that will come under increased scrutiny by football bodies (and who knows, possibly Tax Authorities at some point) rather like the Chelsea loaning out system.

But we can predict how it pans out. Chelsea and Man City a suspended punishment, and warning over future conduct. Southampton as head of their group, demoted two divisions.

21 minutes ago, Badger said:

I wonder if this could be an area that will come under increased scrutiny by football bodies (and who knows, possibly Tax Authorities at some point) rather like the Chelsea loaning out system.

But we can predict how it pans out. Chelsea and Man City a suspended punishment, and warning over future conduct. Southampton as head of their group, demoted two divisions.

Yeah, if true it'll be interesting to see how that gets accounted for in each individual club accounts.  I've no idea about these things but that looks like we've sold Orsic for 2M Euros whilst Goztepe get a player worth 2M Euros without paying anything.  I suppose from an accounting perspective it would involve Goztepe paying us the 2M Euros to make up the fee we receive to the reported 4M.

Gutted Orsic has gone though - I though he showed flashes of anonymity in his time here.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, revolution saint said:

Yeah, if true it'll be interesting to see how that gets accounted for in each individual club accounts.  I've no idea about these things but that looks like we've sold Orsic for 2M Euros whilst Goztepe get a player worth 2M Euros without paying anything.  I suppose from an accounting perspective it would involve Goztepe paying us the 2M Euros to make up the fee we receive to the reported 4M.

Gutted Orsic has gone though - I though he showed flashes of anonymity in his time here.

Was that in possession, out of possession, or against the ball as i think the hipsters call it these days?   And whatever point I'm trying to make (even I'm not sure) we're talking about against Grimsby aren't we? 

8 minutes ago, malcolm waldron said:

Was that in possession, out of possession, or against the ball as i think the hipsters call it these days?   And whatever point I'm trying to make (even I'm not sure) we're talking about against Grimsby aren't we? 

He was that good at anonymity that I've completely forgotten.  I remember him coming on against Man City in the cup - didn't do much though.

Chelsea up to their old schemes again - an eight year deal? So Che won't be going there 😀.

Get the impression our guys are playing hard-ball and saying this is the price for our players, take it or leave it....and clubs seem to be leaving it. Don't have a problem if that means us keeping Lavia, though there's a lot of shirkers in our squad should be off loaded. People saying £25m for ABK on this site. Really? I'd accept half that. 

28 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Remember that Nicholas Jackson we were linked with last summer? Just signed for Chelsea on an 8 year contract

We should have signed him immediately after he `rag dolled' us in the preseason game.  

44 minutes ago, Chez said:

We should have signed him immediately after he `rag dolled' us in the preseason game.  

Neither us or Bournemouth were able to get a deal done so I’m assuming that he either didn’t have the stomach for it or there were further issues

Not entirely sure why Chelsea are signing even more forward line players… it’s getting ridiculous 

7 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Neither us or Bournemouth were able to get a deal done so I’m assuming that he either didn’t have the stomach for it or there were further issues

Not entirely sure why Chelsea are signing even more forward line players… it’s getting ridiculous 

Bournemouth beat us to him - But he failed the medical.

1 hour ago, Dan Johnson said:

The club wishes him luck for the future. Strange that they don't specify good or bad though.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Colinjb said:

Well, that was certainly a thing. 

Less Premier league minutes then Ali Dia? 

I'm crying, I'm really crying, Agatha go get the budgie out the cage; but why grandma? I need cheering up and the cat's hungry.

Edited by Master Bates

11 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Broja seems to think his future at Chelsea may be under threat after these signings .

56 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

Broja seems to think his future at Chelsea may be under threat after these signings .

Well he's correct but then again he would have been correct when he decided to stay there and extend his contract.

14 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Liam Delap's going on loan to Hull. Doesn't look like we've renewed our interest after a couple of poor loans last season.

Would appear we dodged a bullet there. Rumours were that we offered £30m for him……!?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Liam Delap's going on loan to Hull. Doesn't look like we've renewed our interest after a couple of poor loans last season.

Good. The way people reacted to us not signing a kid who'd never played men's football was bewildering. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, egg said:

Good. The way people reacted to us not signing a kid who'd never played men's football was bewildering. 

Yep if Joe Shields had his way we would have spunked our record transfer fee on him .

A player that got sent out on loan to 2 championship clubs last season and didn’t make it at either . 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, IFHP said:

Yep if Joe Shields had his way we would have spunked our record transfer fee on him .

A player that got sent out on loan to 2 championship clubs last season and didn’t make it at either . 

It's bad enough that we gave city hard cash for the other 3. Fortunately we didn't buy this kid as well. 

• Like 2

It'll be interesting to see how quickly (or not) we mobilise for transfers in.

We're clearly not hanging about with clearing the squad bloat.

Getting Orsic out of the building seems a positive. He wasn't up for it, so no point holding off.

6 minutes ago, egg said:

It's bad enough that we gave city hard cash for the other 3. Fortunately we didn't buy this kid as well. 

Don't you find it interesting that City were happy to sell the others but not this kid despite the seemingly big bids? Maybe the players pushed for moves a little more than Delap did but City being happy to sell Lavia and don't seem keen on bringing him back but had no interest in selling Delap can only mean they rate him and aren't probably judging him on a slow first season in first team football.

18 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Don't you find it interesting that City were happy to sell the others but not this kid despite the seemingly big bids? Maybe the players pushed for moves a little more than Delap did but City being happy to sell Lavia and don't seem keen on bringing him back but had no interest in selling Delap can only mean they rate him and aren't probably judging him on a slow first season in first team football.

Lavia was the exception of course...it's Bazunu and Larios that irks me, plus Edozie to some extent (the kid we signed from Spurs will surpass Edozie imo). 

I'm not sure why City were so keen to sell Lavia. Personally, o don't see him as the second coming as some do. There's limitations to his game (can be slow to use it, offers little movement off the ball and between the lines) and I can only assume that City see his ceiling as not being as high as some others do.

What City see in Delap is anyone's guess though. 

43 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Am I still an idiot for not wanting to chuck another couple of million in to just get it done?

Depends how you look at it. The club obviously saw something in him and wanted to sign him, on paper he had good pedigree, was an experienced international and could have been a good signing. For whatever reason it didnt work out and he didn't get much of a chance, not helped by having two dreadful managers whilst he was here. SO yeah, if you want to smugly sit back and say i was right about this one because it didnt work out, or you could look at the wider lens of the fact that historically our instestence on buying young or cheap rather than spend a bit more on quality and experience is why we are where we are.

Edited by Turkish

32 minutes ago, egg said:

Lavia was the exception of course...it's Bazunu and Larios that irks me, plus Edozie to some extent (the kid we signed from Spurs will surpass Edozie imo). 

I'm not sure why City were so keen to sell Lavia. Personally, o don't see him as the second coming as some do. There's limitations to his game (can be slow to use it, offers little movement off the ball and between the lines) and I can only assume that City see his ceiling as not being as high as some others do.

What City see in Delap is anyone's guess though. 

It's not though is it? He's clearly scored quite a lot of goals for them. I think the four player's you've talked about there are all really young and it shows you it's not easy to make an immediate step up, which is what is so impressive about Lavia. Tella is 2 years older than Delap and Edozie. 4 years older than Larios. He's just had his first proper break through. 

1 hour ago, Fabrice29 said:

It's not though is it? He's clearly scored quite a lot of goals for them. I think the four player's you've talked about there are all really young and it shows you it's not easy to make an immediate step up, which is what is so impressive about Lavia. Tella is 2 years older than Delap and Edozie. 4 years older than Larios. He's just had his first proper break through. 

There's loads of kids who score lots of goals against other kids. Very few of those kids go on to score lots of goals against men at a good level. So far he looks more of a Sam Gallagher than an Alan Shearer. Hopefully the lad goes on to have a good career, but I'm glad we didn't throw £30m at signing him. 

Edited by egg
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

They do rate Delap. But he's had injury problems throughout his development, and last season's loan spells seemed to suggest he'd lost a bit of "something" after his latest lay off. 

Whether he can get it back will dictate his future at the club, I'd imagine.