Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

11 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Someone now reporting we want 30 million and Newcastle will need to bid 25. That seems a lot more reasonable to me. Still a blow but should allow us to strengthen elsewhere. 

That's very risky for Newcastle. If I was the club's bean counter I'd be seriously considering that offer. Saints have Bree and KWP plus a youngster in that position, someone has to go so racking in some big bucks certainly won't hurt.

Losing Tino would be disappointing but depends on the fee we get for him as to whether it's a good deal or not.  There's go to be doubts over his ability to last a championship season after the injury he's had and even before his injury he had stamina problems.  Shame cos when he's when he's in full flow he's great.  If we get 25M (or somewhere close) then it's not a bad deal.

Bree will probably be OK in the Championship and I suspect Wilcox and Martin would have a good idea of replacements.  Didn't one of the Swansea lads say they were linked with the Barnsley right back who's supposed to be decent? 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Our point of difference remains that you think £20-25m would be a fair price when I really think that's still too low when we could keep him for a season and see what his value is then

Yeah that's how i see it. We're contractually in a strong position with him so why rush to sell this season when his value is depressed by the injury layoff when the potential if he's the player we think he is would be greater in a year's time.

• Like 3

On one hand, it would be very disappointing to lose Tino after spending a year plus fixing him. On the other hand, if I’d had a major injury like that I think I’d want to sign that big contract ASAP, just in case I had further troubles or wasn’t really the same player afterwards. He still has 3 years in his contract and we hold the cards really, he will be itching to play football again.

Is being a back up to Trippier bad for his development (playing less games) or better for him to work up to speed and improve his stamina issues etc. you can make arguments for both I suppose.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

On one hand, it would be very disappointing to lose Tino after spending a year plus fixing him. On the other hand, if I’d had a major injury like that I think I’d want to sign that big contract ASAP, just in case I had further troubles or wasn’t really the same player afterwards. He still has 3 years in his contract and we hold the cards really, he will be itching to play football again.

Is being a back up to Trippier bad for his development (playing less games) or better for him to work up to speed and improve his stamina issues etc. you can make arguments for both I suppose.

Sensible post. There's always the chance that he won't be the player he was (I suspect he won't) and while I was initially seething at seeing this (not least because Newcastle are so unlikeable) perhaps getting 20 mill is a very good deal. He would need to be more robust in the Championship, if anything. Shocked he is on such low wages though. Guess he has only had to buy bandages/crutches for a bit... 😉

• Like 2

I think the reality is we do need to sell players - firstly to get players of the wage bill and reduce it to a level that we can afford over the next 3 years of parachute payments, and secondly so we have money to bring in new players (fees and wages).

Even with the parachute payments I am not sure we could pay all of our current wage bill commitments - or afford new players unless we sell some players first.

And don't forget players will need to be paid off to leave (have their contracts paid up) - so if we sell a player for £10M we are not necessarily going to see all of it after sell on %, contract pay-offs and agents commissions.  So selling one or two players won't be enough.

I don't think Sports Republic are going to be putting any more money in - we will need to fund our promotion push over the next 3 years from player sales and the parachute payments.

Unfortunately it looks like Livramento might be a victim of this situation - relatively cheap to pay off and we'll get a reasonable fee for him (minus any sell on % to Chelsea).  I wouldn't be surprised if we replaced him with Joel Latibeaudiere at right back - once of Man City's academy and on a free transfer from Swansea. 

I can see Perraud being replaced by Ryan Manning at left back in the same way and for the same reason - another free transfer from Swansea.  At least both players will be used to Martin's system.  

Harry Winks looks like he would be perfect for Martin's system - would be quite happy to see him at St Mary's next season.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Nolan said:

it is really how contracts work. especially after you've helped them recover from an ACL injury.

Every player in our squad has a price we'll allow them to leave for. We will not be letting a player with a contract until 2026 leave for 15 million.

We must hold out for the best deals available. We are not selling " Championship players ", (as all of these made their reputations playing in the Prem).

As a club, Saints may be in the Championship, but richer clubs who are willing to pay big money for our best talents know they are buying quality players, 

and we are fortunate we have a few more who will eventually exit,  as Leeds and Leicester don't have quite so " saleable names"  to bargain with.

Well over 100 million has been spent in the last year or so, but some of those deals were likely on " part-payments"  spread over 1-2 years.... or even longer.

We may still owe money to some " previous clubs " based on the original deals,  or those with  %  " sell-on clauses "  when we first bought them. (e.g. Lavia)

Even if we pass the 100 million figure in player sales this summer, we will still have debts  and may not end up ... as "rich" as many people may think. 

Hopefully, we will be more careful in the market when buying in "new names"  given the projected reduction in income in the next year or so. 

The thing with Tino is that I think most of us feel there is a really great player there, but we haven't actually seen it for any extended period of time.  Therefore, some of us are probably valuing him based on what he has the potential to become with us, whereas others are basing it on the reality of what he's achieved to date.

All things considered, I'd say £20-£25m wouldn't be an unrealistic price at this time, but I'd be whacking sizeable sell-on fees / milestones to that as he could well become a world class player in the future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wade Garrett said:

5 games and not one decent delivery.  Plenty of time to form an opinion on that part of his game.

I don't agree with that. His crossing was decent. There was one absolutely woeful cross, I think at Newcastle, that was highlighted heavily and may be leading you to that conclusion, but overall his crossing was miles better than Perraud or KWP.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DT said:

you seem very sure. you must have excellent contacts.

You’re the muppet that all last summer made out that I did have contacts when on every occasion I said I didn’t, and that it was no more than gut feeling/opinion.

I bet deep down you were livid last summer when JWP stayed, despite the fact you’d spent several months bleating about how he was “gone”, and after I kept saying I didn’t think he would go.

If you want to keep bringing it up and make yourself sound like more of a dick then that’s fine by me. 😂

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Hmm you could argue tino had won the right back fight that season.. kwp was being switched to the left to get in 

id rather keep tino out of the two kwp is all twisting and turns with no end product 

You are absolutely right, he won the right back fight during preseason and got the shirt and retained it until he got injured the first time. However, I would say that he retained the shirt too long, as after a brilliant start he faded and it became evident that he ball watched and perhaps wasn't the best defensively. Obviously he is still learning the game, but when KWP eventually played at right back, in my opinion was even better than Tino. 

It was great to finally have some strength in depth at full back again, but no surprise at all that both may depart this summer.  The other prem teams are no mugs. They know who we have that can cut it at that level. Likewise, we are not daft and won't be selling him for £12m.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Our point of difference remains that you think £20-25m would be a fair price when I really think that's still too low when we could keep him for a season and see what his value is then

I think it's a reasonable fee to receive under the circumstances we are in when a team in the Champions league comes calling. Reportedly now we want 30 and they've bid 15. It won't shock me in the slightest if he goes for the number I said. 

3 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

And i suppose Adam Armstrong is guaranteed to get 29 goals again because he did it at blackburn so we don't need to buy a striker

Selling our 2 actual quality right backs to rely on someone who looked competent in a luton team that played a very different style seems nuts to me. 

Adam Armstrong is Adam Armstrong. Bree is Bree. You're comparing an apple with a cabbage mate. 

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

You are absolutely right, he won the right back fight during preseason and got the shirt and retained it until he got injured the first time. However, I would say that he retained the shirt too long, as after a brilliant start he faded and it became evident that he ball watched and perhaps wasn't the best defensively. Obviously he is still learning the game, but when KWP eventually played at right back, in my opinion was even better than Tino. 

It was great to finally have some strength in depth at full back again, but no surprise at all that both may depart this summer.  The other prem teams are no mugs. They know who we have that can cut it at that level. Likewise, we are not daft and won't be selling him for £12m.  

Yep there was a lot of discussion in playing one in front of the other .

We have Bree, Payne and now new Chelsea lad so plenty of cover at wing back for the 3 at back formation.

As long as it’s 25m plus sell on fees then can see Tino going. 
i haven’t seen many links to KWP apart from Newcastle again but probably journo filling space

59 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

We must hold out for the best deals available. We are not selling " Championship players ", (as all of these made their reputations playing in the Prem).

As a club, Saints may be in the Championship, but richer clubs who are willing to pay big money for our best talents know they are buying quality players, 

and we are fortunate we have a few more who will eventually exit,  as Leeds and Leicester don't have quite so " saleable names"  to bargain with.

Well over 100 million has been spent in the last year or so, but some of those deals were likely on " part-payments"  spread over 1-2 years.... or even longer.

We may still owe money to some " previous clubs " based on the original deals,  or those with  %  " sell-on clauses "  when we first bought them. (e.g. Lavia)

Even if we pass the 100 million figure in player sales this summer, we will still have debts  and may not end up ... as "rich" as many people may think. 

Hopefully, we will be more careful in the market when buying in "new names"  given the projected reduction in income in the next year or so. 

We spent £130m last season on transfers with pretty much nothing coming back. There is no `may' about it. We still owe a shit load of money for these players. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, wild-saint said:

Why will they want / need to recoup a lot of money? they even publicly said that the financial support is there to get the club back? 

I cant remember them ever saying we will financially support the club by selling anything that isn't nailed down which means its clear from your comments is that you are absolutely guessing and  / or they were lying.

It's delusional to think that owners will essentially write off what they've spent and then throw more at players. Let's see what happens, but it's pretty obvious that we'll recoup a hell of a lot more than we spend. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Chez said:

I don't agree with that. His crossing was decent. There was one absolutely woeful cross, I think at Newcastle, that was highlighted heavily and may be leading you to that conclusion, but overall his crossing was miles better than Perraud or KWP.

Perraud must cry himself to sleep at night wanting praise like this from you 🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

The thing with Tino is that I think most of us feel there is a really great player there, but we haven't actually seen it for any extended period of time.  Therefore, some of us are probably valuing him based on what he has the potential to become with us, whereas others are basing it on the reality of what he's achieved to date.

All things considered, I'd say £20-£25m wouldn't be an unrealistic price at this time, but I'd be whacking sizeable sell-on fees / milestones to that as he could well become a world class player in the future.

Makes sense to add a sell on, but if he goes to Newcastle and turns out to be bloody great, they probably aren't going to sell him on, to anyone. They want to win the league and everything, so will be keeping their stars. I guess he could turn out to be `OK', but he's then unlikely to demand a huge fee.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Perraud must cry himself to sleep at night wanting praise like this from you 🤣

Now we are in the championship, I'll probably be singing Perraud's praises all season...unless he fucks off of course. 

Edited by Chez
  • Haha 1

The shame about Tino is that he would have been the best player of his position in the league had he stayed, or almost certainly the best.

With the volume of players who will leave there is a danger of ending up very average.

People expect us to be right in the promotion race but you do actually have to be a good team to do that, and I don't see that too many of our good players will still be around in Sept, certainly not the ones that will be considered amongst the best in the division.

I think we will end up signing a lot of players in August after the season has started as many outgoings will also be done late.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rebel said:

to get players of the wage bill and reduce it to a level that we can afford over the next 3 years of parachute payments

SR have said the plan is to win the Championship this year. The entire squad has just taken a 40% pay cut. A couple of experienced first team regulars have fallen off the wage bill. SR chucked in over 130m last year, so the clubs isn't financially restricted like under Gao.

If the plan is to get back to the Prem ASAP and stay there, we need to win promotion with a squad which has at least a handful of players who are PL mid-table quality. We have maybe two handfuls of such players now, and a few will obviously go (Salisu apparently doesn't want to be here, Adams didn't sign a new contract in the Prem, Lavia is top shelf, ABK is a German international with interest from multiple German top flight clubs) so we really need to be hanging onto most of the rest if we plan to have another 10+ years in the Prem starting in 2024-25.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Chez said:

Makes sense to add a sell on, but if he goes to Newcastle and turns out to be bloody great, they probably aren't going to sell him on, to anyone. They want to win the league and everything, so will be keeping their stars. I guess he could turn out to be `OK', but he's then unlikely to demand a huge fee.

Yup, hence why I also mentioned milestones (England caps, that sort of thing) in case he stays there his whole career.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Cat said:

What would happen to the atmosphere if he goes? Around a third of our current chants seem to mention him.

That’s one of the reasons I’d be inclined to sell. 😀 It did my head in this year considering he wasn’t playing but the idiots in the Northam didn’t seem to realise.

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Disagree

Ultimately it all depends who you consider your core/key players. For example, I would class the likes of Ward-Prowse, Lavia, KWP, Livramento, Sulemana and Alcaraz as our key players. That is it.

They’re the ones we should be aiming to keep.

Out of those players the only one I see leaving is Lavia. 

KWP I think will only go if he wants to go and sit on the bench of someone like Newcastle.
I still think JWP will stay - and like I said a year ago, I think he’ll stay for his career now, almost 30, not getting into a top six side now and would almost certainly be replaced in a top ten side over the next year or two for the next best thing. 
I don’t see Alcaraz leaving, he’s said he is happy and doesn’t want to move again. Sulemana has said he doesn’t want to move again. 
Livramento rumours in the last 24 hours are odd but I’m not sold on them - that would be a surprise and disappointing if he left.

Then you have your players that have a year left like Mo Salisu, Che Adams and Stu Armstrong, 50/50 on whether they go or not.

The likes of Onuachu, DCC, Lyanco, Orsic, maybe Djenepo I think will leave on a mixture of either loans or stupidly low transfer fees due to their high wages.

If the likes of Perraud, Diallo, Adam Armstrong, McCarthy or Aribo left, let’s be honest they wouldn’t be a huge loss based on what we’ve seen of them the past couple of years.

I’m sure they’ll be a clear out of sorts but I think the key players they’ll retain as much as possible unless stupid money is offered.

For DT’s clarity, it is all a matter of opinion and I don’t have any contacts at the club as much as he wishes it to be true. 👀🤣

There’s no point having a meltdown after every single rumour.

Edited by FarehamSaintJames
Apologies in advance for the writing format. Written from device.
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, egg said:

It's delusional to think that owners will essentially write off what they've spent and then throw more at players. Let's see what happens, but it's pretty obvious that we'll recoup a hell of a lot more than we spend. 

If they have any sense they'll sell players who are of diminishing value or on big wages, but hold on to those with longer contracts and relatively lower wages to sell in January or next summer when their value will be just as high if not higher. Keeping the likes of Tino, Alcaraz or Sulemana for this season isn't writing off what they've spent, it's deferring and potentially increasing the return. Assuming their heads are in the right place - the first two at least seem like level headed types that will knuckle down for the Championship.

The owners will see the sale of Lavia as vindication of their strategy. We'll certainly bring in more than we spend, but will continue to invest in promising young players to sell for a profit.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Disagree

cool man. I thought he curled in one or two nice crosses, which was one of the things the Luton fans said was his strength.  I've not seen him play a lot, so reserve the right to change my mind after watching him all next season. Unless of course Payne or Abu get the shirt. 

Overall Bree looked pretty calm and composed on the ball to me, maybe a little too one paced and `steady'. He certainly wasn't quick or dynamic and I don't see him dribbling the ball down the line much, which will be a major difference (step backwards) to what we have had from Tino and KWP. I guess we are stuck with him, but I do wonder if he will fit Martin's system. Right back could easily become a weakness not a strength.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, revolution saint said:

Losing Tino would be disappointing but depends on the fee we get for him as to whether it's a good deal or not.  There's go to be doubts over his ability to last a championship season after the injury he's had and even before his injury he had stamina problems.  Shame cos when he's when he's in full flow he's great.  If we get 25M (or somewhere close) then it's not a bad deal.

Bree will probably be OK in the Championship and I suspect Wilcox and Martin would have a good idea of replacements.  Didn't one of the Swansea lads say they were linked with the Barnsley right back who's supposed to be decent? 

Full backs will be very important in the Russell team when we play 4 at the back. Tino would be ideal, technically strong on the ball and excellent defensively. Not certain Bree has the technical ability to play the advanced inverted role. 

Funnily enough, when we play 3 at the back this could fit very nicely with a ball playing CB like Jack Stephens, particularly in the Championship. (Applies tin hat 😂 )

55 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Yep there was a lot of discussion in playing one in front of the other .

We have Bree, Payne and now new Chelsea lad so plenty of cover at wing back for the 3 at back formation.

As long as it’s 25m plus sell on fees then can see Tino going. 
i haven’t seen many links to KWP apart from Newcastle again but probably journo filling space

I wouldn’t assume that we will play wing backs with 3 at the back. 

49 minutes ago, egg said:

I find that odd as its likely to be a false economy if true. Not getting promoted would cost the club a whole heap more.

Sure they'll want to reduce the overall wage bill but recoup money rather than re-investing it seems unlikely to me and contrary to their messaging.

23 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Ultimately it all depends who you consider your core/key players. For example, I would class the likes of Ward-Prowse, Lavia, KWP, Livramento, Sulemana and Alcaraz as our key players. That is it.

They’re the ones we should be aiming to keep.

Out of those players the only one I see leaving is Lavia. 

KWP I think will only go if he wants to go and sit on the bench of someone like Newcastle.
I still think JWP will stay - and like I said a year ago, I think he’ll stay for his career now, almost 30, not getting into a top six side now and would almost certainly be replaced in a top ten side over the next year or two for the next best thing. 
I don’t see Alcaraz leaving, he’s said he is happy and doesn’t want to move again. Sulemana has said he doesn’t want to move again. 
Livramento rumours in the last 24 hours are odd but I’m not sold on them - that would be a surprise and disappointing if he left.

Then you have your players that have a year left like Mo Salisu, Che Adams and Stu Armstrong, 50/50 on whether they go or not.

The likes of Onuachu, DCC, Lyanco, Orsic, maybe Djenepo I think will leave on a mixture of either loans or stupidly low transfer fees due to their high wages.

If the likes of Perraud, Diallo, Adam Armstrong, McCarthy or Aribo left, let’s be honest they wouldn’t be a huge loss based on what we’ve seen of them the past couple of years.

I’m sure they’ll be a clear out of sorts but I think the key players they’ll retain as much as possible unless stupid money is offered.

For DT’s clarity, it is all a matter of opinion and I don’t have any contacts at the club as much as he wishes it to be true. 👀🤣

There’s no point having a meltdown after every single rumour.

Just checking…. You don’t see JWP leaving?

Edited by notnowcato
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Tino would be ideal...excellent defensively.

IMO Tino wasn't excellent defensively. He ball watches badly for starters. I guess it matters little if he departs.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

I find that odd as its likely to be a false economy if true. Not getting promoted would cost the club a whole heap more.

Sure they'll want to reduce the overall wage bill but recoup money rather than re-investing it seems unlikely to me and contrary to their messaging.

It would be terrible planning to blow our wad this year in an effort to go up. Far more likely that we will have a two or three year plan for promotion where we aim for it in the first year but keep a fair bit in reserve for subsequent efforts. 

There is a massive balancing act (could even call it a gamble) needed and SR are going to have earn their bucks by getting it just right. There's no denying it, we are in the Championship with a team  full of (mostly) PL experienced (if not necessaily quality) players. Some of those players are simply too good to play at that lower level. Some of them are just not the right type of player for that league. We will *have* to buy some  and *have* to sell some.  But, our aim is to go straight back up again.  If that is truly the aim for the club then we need to retain a PL quality squad or, if many are let go and promotion is acheived, have to spend again in 12 months to replace players that we already have now.

I honestly think very few of the "core" squad will go this summer. Lavia yes, ABK if he counts as core (seems to miss more than he plays) yes.  Plenty of the bit part players can go, they add nothing to the squad. But hopefully the majority can be persuaded to stay for at least 12 months and the big squad review take place this time next year depending on whether or not promotion is acheived. If their values are then less after a year out of the PL than now that is the hit the owners would have to take.

Big flaw in the plan is we'd be returning to the PL with a squad that was shit in the PL this year, but I honestly think 12 months playing together under one managers plan and there is a decent team there. And if they still aren't good enough the that's the time to be replacing them

3 hours ago, Dusic said:

Leicester moving for Harry Winks. He will be an excellent player at Championship level, particularly in a ball oriented team.

would be great in the championship. No worse than JWP, better than Grimes. Good addition for Leicester if they get him. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

I think people on this board better form a Suicide Watch for FarehamSaintJames when JWP goes !

1 minute ago, notnowcato said:

I want to put the like or laugh emoji response to your post but that doesn’t seem appropriate 

I must admit that tickled me 😂

Ultimately, I couldn’t give a toss based on last season if they stay or go. Aside from Lavia who really stood out for us in a positive way last season? 🤣

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

It would be terrible planning to blow our wad this year in an effort to go up. Far more likely that we will have a two or three year plan for promotion where we aim for it in the first year but keep a fair bit in reserve for subsequent efforts. 

So whilst i agree you don't want to blow the bank on year 1 i also don't think you should be aiming for later years over year 1. I'd think statistics would suggest there are better odds of getting out quickly than hanging round as the financial advantage of parachute payments dissipates. History would also i think back up how dangerous it is to leave it to the 3rd year. 

33 minutes ago, Chez said:

cool man. I thought he curled in one or two nice crosses, which was one of the things the Luton fans said was his strength.  I've not seen him play a lot, so reserve the right to change my mind after watching him all next season. Unless of course Payne or Abu get the shirt. 

Overall Bree looked pretty calm and composed on the ball to me, maybe a little too one paced and `steady'. He certainly wasn't quick or dynamic and I don't see him dribbling the ball down the line much, which will be a major difference (step backwards) to what we have had from Tino and KWP. I guess we are stuck with him, but I do wonder if he will fit Martin's system. Right back could easily become a weakness not a strength.

I think he suffered by association to Jones. Failing manager brings in an uninspiring signing from his former club for peanuts. It was never going to work for him in the Premier League. I would expect a lot more from him now that we are in a League where he has spent the majority of his career in.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I think he suffered by association to Jones. Failing manager brings in an uninspiring signing from his former club for peanuts. It was never going to work for him in the Premier League. I would expect a lot more from him now that we are in a League where he has spent the majority of his career in.

He was Jones' Paul Telfer.

I’m accepting of the ‘star’ players like JWP, Lavia, Kameldene, ABK, KWP all leaving. I’d be a bit disappointed but not in the least surprised.

Would be very disappointed if the likes of Tella and Livramento were sold. In my mind they’re exactly sort of players who will get us out of this division and push on in the PL. I see Tella, Livramento and even Endozie as being well within our grasps to keep. They don’t really have a case to force a move.

And the fees of £15m for them wouldn’t get us anything better. A £15m player won’t want to come to us, it would either be a a collection of tin pot players or gambles on some youngsters.

Tella and Livramento have should some real promise but are yet to realise it over a whole season for us.