Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

14 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

You've got that right. And for an 18 year old who was flung in at the deep end for a few games last season, he didnt disgrace himself. Much better than Small who was being touted as a future star when we signed him

This "he was ok for his age" approach is nonsense. Players who appear for the first team need to be good enough for that stage. Age is irrelevant - he wasn't good enough. 

That we spent just shy of £10m on him and Small is mental, and the fact that we've got Meghoma tells me that there's doubts about at least one of them. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, egg said:

This "he was ok for his age" approach is nonsense. Players who appear for the first team need to be good enough for that stage. Age is irrelevant - he wasn't good enough. 

That we spent just shy of £10m on him and Small is mental, and the fact that we've got Meghoma tells me that there's doubts about at least one of them. 

Exactly. We didn’t pay £7m for Larios to play in the u21s team for a few years until he’s ready. He was signed to be part of the first team squad straight away and like a lot of them no where near good enough. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, egg said:

Not as nonsense as writing a kid off after a handful of appearances in the PL, in a team that was a shit show at the time. The fact you expect him to come in from u23 football and set the world alight. Lets see how he develops and if he gets game time in the Championship before writing him off (even though you already have)

• Like 7

Just now, woodsaint1 said:

Not as nonsense as writing a kid off after a handful of appearances in the PL, in a team that was a shit show at the time. The fact you expect him to come in from u23 football and set the world alight. Lets see how he develops and if he gets game time in the Championship before writing him off (even though you already have)

I expect anyone we sign for £7m to be good enough to play for the team. Sure, the policy of signing unproven kids to pay first team football in the PL was absolutely mental, but I saw nothing in this kid to suggest he was going to be a PL level full back. 

• Confused 2

6 minutes ago, egg said:

I expect anyone we sign for £7m to be good enough to play for the team. Sure, the policy of signing unproven kids to pay first team football in the PL was absolutely mental, but I saw nothing in this kid to suggest he was going to be a PL level full back. 

Nothing??

I take it you don’t rely on your scouting ability to make a living 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, egg said:

Do you see a PL full back on Larios? Was it £7m well spent? 

It was 6m and probably the going rate in this day and age for somebody that has come through the Barca and City academies. City rated him highly and put a buy back clause in the deal so perhaps they see a future PL player

• Like 1

4 hours ago, egg said:

Do you see a PL full back on Larios? Was it £7m well spent? 

I do. He was good with the ball at his feet, had good dribbling ability. He did better than Matt Targett when he first broke into the side and he IS a premier league full back. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

It was 6m and probably the going rate in this day and age for somebody that has come through the Barca and City academies. City rated him highly and put a buy back clause in the deal so perhaps they see a future PL player

City put a buy back clause on Gunn.  They’re taking the piss.

18 hours ago, Midfield_General said:

Oh cool, a load of kids from Man City's youth team

Groundbreaking way to go about our business ey?! Cannot see anything going wrong with just signing kids in the championship no sir it’ll be plain sailing all the way!

Why don’t city just buy us as a crèche for their academy stars? 😂 

I don't know if anyone noticed. But we won the PL2 Div 2 Last year and got promoted to the the top flight of PL2

So we'll be playing Man City U21's, Liverpool U21s, Man Utd U21's, Arsenal U21's and Chelsea U21's.

I would suggest that we're looking for players to help us compete there too., but with a route to the first team if you're good enough.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nolan said:

I don't know if anyone noticed. But we won the PL2 Div 2 Last year and got promoted to the the top flight of PL2

So we'll be playing Man City U21's, Liverpool U21s, Man Utd U21's, Arsenal U21's and Chelsea U21's.

I would suggest that we're looking for players to help us compete there too., but with a route to the first team if you're good enough.

PL2 now going to be just one group of 25 cat one teams. Basically mirrors the new UCL format coming 

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

I really hope some of these reports are wide of the mark. We badly need experience in the team, we have enough youngsters with Bazunu, livramento, Edozie, mara, Larios. Carrying on with the same tactics isn't going to succeed. 

Our problem last year was nothing to do with age, the players were just crap. Moi is 28, Stu 31, McC 33, Che and AA both 26, Orsic 30 etc. and all of those were useless. Our best player was a 19 year old.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Just now, waylander said:

Paywalled - can someone summarise

Essentially 25 teams in one league, but playing in seeded groups.

all teams will play a total of 20 matches and the top 16 at the end of the season will enter a play-off style tournament for the title. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bad Wolf said:

Even if we'd stayed up, we wern't keeping Lavia. The kid's a class act.`

Only way we would have done is if Man City whispered in his ear about returning the following summer and to just do another year here.  But otherwise agree, easily a champions league squad player.

2 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

What exactly is being done if a club like Arsenal is "working on the deal" for 15 days but hasn't actually made a bid? Would that just be negotiating terms with the players agent? 

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Excellent news. Bidding war please!

I wish these clubs would hurry the fuck up. Ideally, we need to get the Lavia and maybe JWP deals done as soon as possible, helping us to understand a little better as to our budget and allowing us to press ahead with CM replacements. Other transfers can and will drag on, but get those done and we will know roughly where we stand.     

8 minutes ago, Chez said:

I wish these clubs would hurry the fuck up. Ideally, we need to get the Lavia and maybe JWP deals done as soon as possible, helping us to understand a little better as to our budget and allowing us to press ahead with CM replacements. Other transfers can and will drag on, but get those done and we will know roughly where we stand.     

Yep. Lavia needs selling soon so that we can get a little certainty about some of the others like ABK, Tella etc (even if many of them will go as well.)

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Yep. Lavia needs selling soon so that we can get a little certainty about some of the others like ABK, Tella etc (even if many of them will go as well.)

get the £70m or whatever in for Lavia and JWP and the finances look a lot better, helping us to be a little stronger in the negotiations for those other players. If Lavia and JWP drag on, then it may force our hand to accept (lower) bids for them.  

We also don't want to miss out on opportunities to loan players etc. - especially in that CM area where we could be thin. 

Martin keen to bring £12m rated Piroe with him but acrimony may hinder negotiations, says latest from Mail via SaintsExtra

Also, West Ham and Fulham waiting for us to fix a price on Ward-Prowse (who is definitely not going, no sir-eee)

Newcastle 'maintaining' their interest in KWP

Yeah, it's the Mail, but hey.

17 minutes ago, DT said:

Martin keen to bring £12m rated Piroe with him but acrimony may hinder negotiations, says latest from Mail via SaintsExtra

Also, West Ham and Fulham waiting for us to fix a price on Ward-Prowse (who is definitely not going, no sir-eee)

Daily Mail also claims we are having a recruitment meeting today. 

5 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Daily Mail also claims we are having a recruitment meeting today. 

Can we find out who chairs it? If Rasmus is anywhere near it I’ll know to give up on the season nice and early 

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, DT said:

The author must have spent all of about ten minutes trawling the internet to out that story together. Doesn't mean it won't all be near the mark.

On 25/06/2023 at 12:37, ErwinK1961 said:

1) bit disappointed our number doesn’t start with a 2 after his season last year 

2) if £18m is the number I’m surprised Burnley haven’t jumped on it, what number were they expecting?

Yeah not very promising.. looks more like a figure to negotiate with Burnley more then a hands off price tag ..

We should be doing every thing we can to keep him .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chewy said:

Can we find out who chairs it? If Rasmus is anywhere near it I’ll know to give up on the season nice and early 

Especially as we’re told Wilcox hasn’t started (officially anyway). 

You've got to remember this season the scouting aspect of recruitment is being done by scouts under SR, so with 3 clubs now under their remit you'd hope they've got a good system in place as they will be bloody busy buying players in uk, france and turkey.

Wonder how it works - Wilcox/Manager share the profile of players they are looking for and the SR brainstrust spit out some names ?

Even if wilcox and martin know they want a certain player (say grimes) do they still have to go through the protocol of getting options from the scouts for players who match or exceed his profile etc.

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Excellent news. Bidding war please!

You don't understand Hypo... regrettably we've signed an agreement with all potential suitors of Lavia that his price is £40M and we cannot possibly ask for a penny more 🙄

3 hours ago, DT said:

They’ll probably hold out for £500k more to make up for the compensation they think they’re entitled to.