Russell Martin

LegalEagle

25 minutes ago, Dman said:

The only man that can save us at this point is Maya Yoshida. Ready to rip up his playing contract to come bring us back. 

Lallana, Yoshida and Fonte dream team

first club to have three managers at once 

Finding a new manager is akin to buying a lottery ticket in the vain hope that you will win the Jackpot next week.

Do you sign someone well-known, but who has tried and failed with other top clubs, or an unknown who says all the right things in interview?.

At any given point in time there aren't a long queue of former managers .." stood in line at the Job Centre " who failed to get the best vacancies.

Every club  needs a quick fix when your side is bleeding points every week,  but those panic managerial appointments seldom work. 

The point that many of us seem to have missed is that it's all about " chemistry" .  Will the right man be able to motivate the players to follow his methods.

Part of this / last season's problems was the squad was expected to change tactical formations at the drop of a hat and it simply didn't work.

Buying in a cartload of talented teenagers who were used to U21 football and throwing them into the toughest league in the World clearly didn't work.

Ralph's 4-2-2-2 suddenly gave way to Nathan Jones alternative aggressive style, (where even some of our established players seemed a bit lost), and

then came Selles, who only chose from the players he'd come to know in the previous 6 months, and most of those expensive January buys simply

became part of a group of " spares " who trained along with everyone else during the week, and were maybe lucky enough to get a place on the bench. 

What " another manager " may /may not have done is pure conjecture, but having signed the vastly-experienced Orsic, and "tall Paul" (who'd netted 

75 goals in the last 2 years with the best club in Belgium), and not accommodating them into the side is beyond belief when clearly Plan B wasn't working.

WHEN.. the next manager takes his place and looks at the squad he has left - after the anticipated "culling " of the dead wood and the departure of our  

best talents - must be someone who can communicate with young men more used to spending their free time playing FIFA 23,  and who may forget that

" the Championship" - may also be ...the " second-toughest league in the World "  and very difficult to get out of , even in a couple of seasons.

• Like 4

Interesting comment from SR is last night’s press releases that we will have a new manager in place ‘by the end of June’. Are we really a month away from appointing Russell Martin? 

Normally when Fabrizio Romano posts something is done. It doesn’t take a week for an announcement. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Interesting comment from SR is last night’s press releases that we will have a new manager in place ‘by the end of June’. Are we really a month away from appointing Russell Martin? 

Normally when Fabrizio Romano posts something is done. It doesn’t take a week for an announcement. 

They could be referring to when Pre-season training starts.

54 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

"In place" I take to mean starting the job. I expect it'll be a long time between being announced and being in place.

• Like 1

Maybe he’s on holiday like the players are.

Not sure what he can do if he can’t chat to the players saying whether he wants them gone or not etc.

Personally would rather have the club announcing players to return by the 25th of June when the new boss is ready to start from fresh.

4 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Maybe he’s on holiday like the players are.

Not sure what he can do if he can’t chat to the players saying whether he wants them gone or not etc.

Personally would rather have the club announcing players to return by the 25th of June when the new boss is ready to start from fresh.

He must have an idea of the players he does / doesn't want and I'd be amazed if he's not been briefed on the players that are / aren't leaving. 

Obviously we don't know what is going on behind closed doors, but i'd like to think he's working with the club to form a plan for the coming season and transfer window (talking with players, agents, etc.) 

Even if he's down here looking for places to live - it gives him / his family a month to settle into the area before the start of the season. 

I'm sure he's working behind the scenes, even if it hasn't been announced yet. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Dman said:

He must have an idea of the players he does / doesn't want and I'd be amazed if he's not been briefed on the players that are / aren't leaving. 

Obviously we don't know what is going on behind closed doors, but i'd like to think he's working with the club to form a plan for the coming season and transfer window (talking with players, agents, etc.) 

Even if he's down here looking for places to live - it gives him / his family a month to settle into the area before the start of the season. 

I'm sure he's working behind the scenes, even if it hasn't been announced yet. 

You have to remember he needs a holiday too.

I expect he’s already on the scene doing some things but it’s better to contact players when they are not in Ibiza downing tequilla’s :)

Uninspiring bloke mooted as next manager.

Negative,muted response from much of fan base.

Delay in announcing causing concern and rumours that he might be snapped up by another club.

Announcement takes place causing relief and delight from fan base.

19 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

IMG_7362.jpeg

If true, I’d expect it’s Piroe and Grimes? Surely Russell Martin would sign as our manager with our perceived budget whether they followed or not? I know he did this with MK Dons players when joining Swansea but to do it all at once is a bit unusual isn’t it? Koeman went back for Pelle, that one worked out well. More Pelle than Pied/Bree please.

1 hour ago, hackedoff said:

Uninspiring bloke mooted as next manager.

Negative,muted response from much of fan base.

Delay in announcing causing concern and rumours that he might be snapped up by another club.

Announcement takes place causing relief and delight from fan base.

Subjective. 
Minute subset of “fans”. 
Delay?? The season finished 3 days ago. 

Get a grip. 

He's saying he will come if he can bring certain players with him? And this negotiation is between Martin and Saints? Or are Swansea saying "you can go, but you're not taking any players?" Interesting. I haven't seen Swansea play, but I would think it will help him settle in and win over Saints players if he has a few buddies in the squad.

I think that theory is probably nonsense.

Far more likely that they’re waiting for Wilcox to be around for the Martin announcement, for the optics of presenting him as the new regime’s choice and both of them being able to speak about the new season and summer ahead.

Didn’t somebody say Wilcox’s official first day is June 1? If so…

• Like 2

Just now, the saint in winchester said:

He's saying he will come if he can bring certain players with him? And this negotiation is between Martin and Saints? Or are Swansea saying "you can go, but you're not taking any players?" Interesting. I haven't seen Swansea play, but I would think it will help him settle in and win over Saints players if he has a few buddies in the squad.

If you read back to his appointment at Swansea, he did request that Swansea signed the Flynn Downes bloke - which they did, and Swansea subsequently made a tidy profit on that one only a year later.

It's probably not a case of him jumping up and down and demanding the world as such, I think we've had obvious conversations around players who he feels could fit us and help us - and I imagine the likes of Grimes, Piroe etc feature quite highly on that list. 

I think it's pretty likely he's joining us, so as long as other bits are happening in the background then it'll be done when it's done. He's clearly already advising us on some capacity, but prior to pre-season starting there isn't a huge amount he can influence at Staplewood anyway.

Alan Nixon says the reason for the delay is due to the compensation, specifically that he had a two tiered clause amount, one for a PL side and one for a Championship side - therefore the timing makes a difference to how much we pay. 

No issue, just timing.

Imagine it will be announced fairly soon as Swansea will need to recruit and announce their replacement and its an open secret anyway.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Alan Nixon says the reason for the delay is due to the compensation, specifically that he had a two tiered clause amount, one for a PL side and one for a Championship side - therefore the timing makes a difference to how much we pay. 

No issue, just timing.

Imagine it will be announced fairly soon as Swansea will need to recruit and announce their replacement and its an open secret anyway.

That sounds as if Swansea, as expected, are being absolute noddies when it comes to small prints etc. 

At the time of the request, yes, technically we are still a PL club - but we were relegated when we made the request, so we won't stay at PL club. This is apparently what Swansea's ownership is like, which is why they missed out on players in the January window and came to a disagreement over any extension for Martin.

13 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

That sounds as if Swansea, as expected, are being absolute noddies when it comes to small prints etc. 

At the time of the request, yes, technically we are still a PL club - but we were relegated when we made the request, so we won't stay at PL club. This is apparently what Swansea's ownership is like, which is why they missed out on players in the January window and came to a disagreement over any extension for Martin.

Presumably we should pay more now that we are a championship rival, and that seems fair enough, although how this wasn't accounted for previously is a bit weird since we have been relegated for a while now.

2 hours ago, notnowcato said:

What’s your point?

Negotiations taking a bit of time is healthy in my opinion. Appreciate it doesn’t fit for those with fuck all patience. 

My point is they would have been looking a lot longer than 3 days. But we all know the elephant in the room here. It’s that they’ve made the clanger of all clangers in appointing Jones and then another clanger in over promoting a coach with no managerial experience as his replacement. Confidence is low. Fans are restless about the next appointment and concerned they may get it wrong a third time. The close season is short for us as the Championship finished weeks ago and starts a week earlier than the PL does. So it’s hardly a crime that some fans display a little impatience on a forum especially when a well respected source - who is usually spot on - said an announcement would be made last week. Perhaps you should show a little patience towards those being impatient? 😀

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

My point is they would have been looking a lot longer than 3 days. But we all know the elephant in the room here. It’s that they’ve made the clanger of all clangers in appointing Jones and then another clanger in over promoting a coach with no managerial experience as his replacement. Confidence is low. Fans are restless about the next appointment and concerned they may get it wrong a third time. The close season is short for us as the Championship finished weeks ago and starts a week earlier than the PL does. So it’s hardly a crime that some fans display a little impatience on a forum especially when a well respected source - who is usually spot on - said an announcement would be made last week. Perhaps you should show a little patience towards those being impatient? 😀

I don't think we should be demanding news already, the season only finished a couple of days ago. We are much further down the road then the other relegated clubs, and Ditto swansea as they'll need to replace Martin.

I don't really have a problem with not hearing anything yet, it seems fairly obvious it will happen and him being in Staplewood today or the 30th June is neither here nor there really. He's not going to be missing out on any crucial training time as there isn't anyone to train.

As long as he is behind his desk at Staplewood for the start of pre-season then all is good, and I'm sure that will be done. Nothing is stopping him learning our squad now, making suggestions and giving recommendations - that can all happen in the background without him being behind a desk at Staplewood, and I'm sure those conversations have been happening.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

If you read back to his appointment at Swansea, he did request that Swansea signed the Flynn Downes bloke - which they did, and Swansea subsequently made a tidy profit on that one only a year later.

It's probably not a case of him jumping up and down and demanding the world as such, I think we've had obvious conversations around players who he feels could fit us and help us - and I imagine the likes of Grimes, Piroe etc feature quite highly on that list. 

I think it's pretty likely he's joining us, so as long as other bits are happening in the background then it'll be done when it's done. He's clearly already advising us on some capacity, but prior to pre-season starting there isn't a huge amount he can influence at Staplewood anyway.

Would love Matt Grimes. He's just what we need in midfield - aggressive, takes players on, great in the tackle and has a superb range of passing. He'd be a perfect replacement for Lavia. He's nearly 28 so a good few years in the tank. Joel Pirou looks good as well - sign the pair of them.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Mixedkebab said:

I DEMAND an announcement from the club IMMEDIATELY 

what the HELL are they waiting for?

the FANS deserve BETTER 

Sounds like an angry retail customer who's next step, ironically, would be to ask to speak to the manager

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Just now, Bad Wolf said:

Sounds like an angry retail customer who's next step, ironically, would be to ask to speak to the manager

The FANS need an IMMEDIATE update as to the WHEREABOUTS of our next manager.

Come on Dragan, INFORM us where this person is located on the Ordnance survey map or we will DESTROY the infrastructure of St Mary’s stadium and its immediate surroundings.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

10 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Interesting turn of events. I guess we’ll see just how much Rasmus wants Martin and perhaps how much Martin wants to make the switch.

Except its not a turn of events at all. They’re just waiting for us to officially be a Championship club so they can save 400k

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Add in the Jesse March charade and it looks like SR have problems when appointing managers. There is a huge rebuilding job required this summer and we have been farting about finalising the manager for a few weeks now.

7 hours ago, Mixedkebab said:

I DEMAND an announcement from the club IMMEDIATELY 

what the HELL are they waiting for?

the FANS deserve BETTER 

Good job you’re not a Spurs fan otherwise you would have torched the new stadium by now.

Whet a mess that Levy is!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

the Premier League Handbook 22/23 stated rules were effective from 1/6/22

So we could officially be a Championship Club today unless the PL season is affected by the timing of the FA Cup final.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, saintant said:

Would love Matt Grimes. He's just what we need in midfield - aggressive, takes players on, great in the tackle and has a superb range of passing. He'd be a perfect replacement for Lavia. He's nearly 28 so a good few years in the tank. Joel Pirou looks good as well - sign the pair of them.

id be very happy if that’s the man he brings, Piroe would also be interesting however there’s surely many more players on the list who could potentially get a lot of goals. Manning is also almost a given: out of contact, knows the manager, most chances created, we need a LB 

Edited by SotonianWill

This is apparently what Swansea's ownership is like, which is why they missed out on players in the January window and came to a disagreement over any extension for Martin.

Partly true I think although the club have always been this way. Even under previous ownership when Martinez went to Wigan we dug our heels in over compensation for the backroom staff to the point where Wigan had to cancel the press conference to unveil him just before it was due to start. From memory, I even think it was being shown on SSN.

I am not sure we were ever really going to extend Martin's contract. Remember that he finished 15th in 21/22 and until the last 9 games of 22/23 we were looking over our shoulder at relegation, albeit it would have been unlikely.

January was a farce although some rumours suggest that we had decided at that point that Martin wouldn't be here beyond the summer and so didn't want to give him any money which given the fact that he spent £1.6m on a GK and CB from MK Dons both of whom have basically been back ups, isn't that surprising.

But in a nutshell, I think we are a nightmare club to deal with.

There were a couple he wanted apparently. One other was Ethan Laird from Manchester United who he had on loan at MK Dons. We did get him on loan but United recalled him in the January and sent him to Bournemouth where he barely played.

Would love Matt Grimes. He's just what we need in midfield - aggressive, takes players on, great in the tackle and has a superb range of passing.

Personally, that isn't how I would describe Grimes. He doesn't have the aggression or tackling ability. His range of passing is fairly limited (sideways, backwards and short, although he does occasionally go a bit longer... but rarely) and he doesn't really take players on. He is, however, one of those players who keeps it ticking over nicely, is always available to receive the ball, give off a short pass, etc. He splits our fans quite a lot. What I would say is that Potter raved about him yet didn't take him to Brighton. Cooper raved about him but didn't take him to Forest. Fulham were interested 2 years ago when he had 1 year left on his contract but apparently wouldn't pay £4m for him. It's all pretty conflicting.

Manning is also almost a given: out of contact, knows the manager, most chances created, we need a LB 

Manning is a strange one really. He played wide left CB in a 3 in 2021/22 and did quite well there although did get sent off a couple of times. He didn't look as good at LB/LWB. This season he has really excelled there and was probably our best player. Defensively he isn't the best and Martin utilised him in an attacking role towards the end of the season. He likes getting forward and he has a good end product. Apparently he turned down a decent contract with us because he wants even more cash so he probably doesn't have a lot of options - probably the relegated clubs plus a few others and possibly the newly promoted PL teams... so I would say you have an excellent chance of getting him. Martin is a huge fan

Edited by SwansFan
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, SwansFan said:

His range of passing is fairly limited (sideways, backwards and short, although he does occasionally go a bit longer... but rarely) and he doesn't really take players on. He is, however, one of those players who keeps it ticking over nicely, is always available to receive the ball, give off a short pass, etc.

So he's our JWP replacement but without the free kicks?:-)

SNAP!

Edited by suewhistle
Snap!

7 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Except its not a turn of events at all. They’re just waiting for us to officially be a Championship club so they can save 400k

And you know this how? What ‘officially’ makes us a Championship club - genuinely interested in your wisdom? 🤔

3 minutes ago, SwansFan said:

Grimes took most of our corners and free kicks for a couple of seasons and barely registered a goal or assist from them.

Give him the number 8 shirt and we’ll barely notice JWP has left but we’ll have circa £40M in the bank!! What’s not to like?!

11 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

And you know this how? What ‘officially’ makes us a Championship club - genuinely interested in your wisdom? 🤔

That's what was reported yesterday by Alan Nixon. People can choose whether they believe that to be accurate or not, but thats what was reported.

as I mentioned earlier the 22/23 rules stated the rules were in effect from 1/6/22

Whether the New seasons rules will start later this year due to the time slip of the Qatar World Cup is the question.

Edited by Nolan
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nolan said:

That's what was reported yesterday by Alan Nixon. People can choose whether they believe that to be accurate or not, but thats what was reported.

as I mentioned earlier the 22/23 rules stated the rules were in effect from 1/6/22

Whether the New seasons rules will start later this year due to the time slip of the Qatar World Cup is the question.

It’s a strange one, can’t seem to find much that says when the league officially resets. What’s interesting is that the Premier League’s official website still lists Saints, Leeds and Leicester amongst their clubs, and don’t include the promoted sides.

https://www.premierleague.com/clubs

On the flip side….while Wikipedia shouldn’t be considered gospel, the page for all 6 clubs promoted to or relegated from the Premier League show their ‘league’ as where they’ll play next season. See Saints for example, who are given EFL championship. (Yes, wiki can be edited very easily).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southampton_F.C.

It always seems to be the day the fixtures come out, that used to be when SSN and other places will put league tables up in Alphabetical order etc etc.

For contracts etc probably end of June/July 1st? Or June 1st? Must be the same every year, and all the relevant games are completed now.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SwansFan said:

This is apparently what Swansea's ownership is like, which is why they missed out on players in the January window and came to a disagreement over any extension for Martin.

Partly true I think although the club have always been this way. Even under previous ownership when Martinez went to Wigan we dug our heels in over compensation for the backroom staff to the point where Wigan had to cancel the press conference to unveil him just before it was due to start. From memory, I even think it was being shown on SSN.

I am not sure we were ever really going to extend Martin's contract. Remember that he finished 15th in 21/22 and until the last 9 games of 22/23 we were looking over our shoulder at relegation, albeit it would have been unlikely.

January was a farce although some rumours suggest that we had decided at that point that Martin wouldn't be here beyond the summer and so didn't want to give him any money which given the fact that he spent £1.6m on a GK and CB from MK Dons both of whom have basically been back ups, isn't that surprising.

But in a nutshell, I think we are a nightmare club to deal with.

There were a couple he wanted apparently. One other was Ethan Laird from Manchester United who he had on loan at MK Dons. We did get him on loan but United recalled him in the January and sent him to Bournemouth where he barely played.

Would love Matt Grimes. He's just what we need in midfield - aggressive, takes players on, great in the tackle and has a superb range of passing.

Personally, that isn't how I would describe Grimes. He doesn't have the aggression or tackling ability. His range of passing is fairly limited (sideways, backwards and short, although he does occasionally go a bit longer... but rarely) and he doesn't really take players on. He is, however, one of those players who keeps it ticking over nicely, is always available to receive the ball, give off a short pass, etc. He splits our fans quite a lot. What I would say is that Potter raved about him yet didn't take him to Brighton. Cooper raved about him but didn't take him to Forest. Fulham were interested 2 years ago when he had 1 year left on his contract but apparently wouldn't pay £4m for him. It's all pretty conflicting.

Manning is also almost a given: out of contact, knows the manager, most chances created, we need a LB 

Manning is a strange one really. He played wide left CB in a 3 in 2021/22 and did quite well there although did get sent off a couple of times. He didn't look as good at LB/LWB. This season he has really excelled there and was probably our best player. Defensively he isn't the best and Martin utilised him in an attacking role towards the end of the season. He likes getting forward and he has a good end product. Apparently he turned down a decent contract with us because he wants even more cash so he probably doesn't have a lot of options - probably the relegated clubs plus a few others and possibly the newly promoted PL teams... so I would say you have an excellent chance of getting him. Martin is a huge fan

Obviously you will know more about Matt Grimes than me. My assessment was based on watching a skills video of him where he looks good in the elements I mentioned - just goes to show that all players can maybe look good in their skills videos 🙂

17 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

In terms of the values of his compensation packages Im only summising, from things Ive read, mainly from Nixon

Its reported to be about 800k for prem and half that for the Championship

We were officially a premier league club, as far as any legal paperwork is concerned, until the official end of the season, not entirely sure when that date is but I ‘think’ it was yesterday