Russell Martin

LegalEagle

On 26/02/2024 at 00:07, Lord Duckhunter said:

Fuck me, if we beat Liverpool this week and Klopp refuses to shake our players hand this forum would be in meltdown. If Nathan Jones had done that, they’d be a 10 page thread about it, with the people defending Lego being the first complaining about it. Our noddy supporters are crying about a keeper wasting time, dear god. As if our players never do that. Take your red and white specs off, he was wrong. Hopefully he regrets it.  End of. 

Awww diddums. Mr. Bad Man didn't shake the hand of their goalkeeper after the match? Come sit on my knee and have a biscuit. It'll be alright.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, niceandfriendly said:

Awww diddums. Mr. Bad Man didn't shake the hand of their goalkeeper after the match? Come sit on my knee and have a biscuit. It'll be alright.

What a juvenile contribution to a debate! 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Honestly, I hate to see it. Do you ever earn the right to be petulant? If, as some say, you must earn your respect, Russell certainly lost some acting the way he did when he had the chance to show a bit of grace.

When teams time waste, the only one to point the finger at is the referee allowing it to happen. Not only that, Goalkeepers have been wasting time against us all season. The only difference compared to when Huddersfield did it for instance is that this time we lost. "Hating to lose" is not justification for refusing to shake your opponents hand.

Let's suppose he decided, for some reason, that this was the game he was going to snub the goalkeeper for wasting time and it had nothing to do with anything else. We're not exactly squeaky clean ourselves. I'm sure other managers weren't keen on our cheating, Edozie and Mara constant diving for instance but the other teams managers still led by example and shook their hand's at the end.

Lastly, we're operating in a different stratosphere to Millwall financially. Once things have been made fair for clubs off the pitch, then maybe we have a right to complain about shithousery and time wasting on it.  It was only last season we encouraged it when we went away to the top sides in the Prem. Until then, we deal with it and realise we started Saturdays game with all the advantages. Russell needs to get his head out his arse.

We used to call people like him "fair weather friends". I don't dislike him but I don't trust him. 

15 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

Duckie was nowhere to be seen on this forum during the 25 match run. 

My posting history is there for everyone to see. I posted just as much during the past 4 months as I’ve always done. 

Other than that, good point well made…

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

My posting history is there for everyone to see. I posted just as much during the past 4 months as I’ve always done. 

Other than that, good point well made…

Oh yeah?? 

Its funny how our victory against West Brom  did not prompt you to post on the post match thread. Nor against Huddersfield. Nor Watford. Or Rotherham. Or Swansea. Or Sheffield Wednesday. Or Walsall. Or Plymouth. Or Swansea (home). Or Plymouth. Or QPR. I could go on but I am sure you get my drift as you consider that I make points well. 

On the other hand guess who  posted on the post match thread after Millwall. And Hull. And Bristol City. Even after mildly disappointing results against Norwich and Coventry we had your views. 

Just admit it. You love it when we lose because then you can whine and whinge and moan about "lego head" but you cannot do that  when we win. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

Oh yeah?? 

Its funny how our victory against West Brom  did not prompt you to post on the post match thread. Nor against Huddersfield. Nor Watford. Or Rotherham. Or Swansea. Or Sheffield Wednesday. Or Walsall. Or Plymouth. Or Swansea (home). Or Plymouth. Or QPR. I could go on but I am sure you get my drift as you consider that I make points well. 

On the other hand guess who  posted on the post match thread after Millwall. And Hull. And Bristol City. Even after mildly disappointing results against Norwich and Coventry we had your views. 

Just admit it. You love it when we lose because then you can whine and whinge and moan about "lego head" but you cannot do that  when we win. 

Oof! L Duck shot down

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, notnowcato said:

Oof! L Duck shot down

Not really. The accusation was that i was “nowhere to been seen on the forum”. Admittedly,  I haven’t spent any time double checking my posting history (fortunately I can leave that boring task to others) , but I’m pretty sure there were plenty of posts on plenty of different threads.

I didn’t realise the match day thread was the only one that counts and failure to post on that after a win, makes you a Skate. Rest assured, win lose or draw I will post my pony on said thread in future. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

Oh yeah?? 

Can you do me next?

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

Oh yeah?? 

video games 80s GIF

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Not really. The accusation was that i was “nowhere to been seen on the forum”. Admittedly,  I haven’t spent any time double checking my posting history (fortunately I can leave that boring task to others) , but I’m pretty sure there were plenty of posts on plenty of different threads.

I didn’t realise the match day thread was the only one that counts and failure to post on that after a win, makes you a Skate. Rest assured, win lose or draw I will post my pony on said thread in future. 

Is that the best that you can come up with Duckie? Really? Really?? Clearly you are not man enough to admit to your negativity towards Saints. 

Your posting history does confirm that you have been on this forum recently. You have lots of opinions about the Post Office. Lots of opinions about Israel. Lots of opinions about SOG. The strange thing  is that you only comment on Saints when we don't win and when you do post it is of a critical nature. Very odd behaviour for a "supporter". 

• Like 3

Russell Martin is virtually the antithesis of an Old-school Manager. But he is just one of a tidal wave of similar coaches appearing across the world taking the best from the past and melding it with contemporary sport science. 

What we have with RM- is pretty unique though and I’d rather concentrate on that  rather than what we do not have. Support Enjoy and spotlight what is good rather than constantly attempting to undermine him is my view. 

Every criticism of him could be levelled at any manager at various times in any league. He’s as stubborn, arrogant,  medal-free, egotistic, nepotistic, inflexible, classy or classless, over flexible, tactically all over the shop, one dimensional and over fixated with stats and hipster thinking as most every other manager. Go to any fan forum and you will find a supporter criticising the manager for the above.
I stead why not try being grateful for what’s been done that’s good instead of ( as some here do) exclusively trying to turn every misstep into a court martial offence. Anybody would get peeved off at such a fickle fan pov. I know I would. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, trousers said:

It doesn't show... you should mention it more often... ;)

Dang! And I would have gotten away with it if if wasn’t for those pesky kids! 

Another success for Scooby-Doo and the gang. 🤣

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

Russell Martin is virtually the antithesis of an Old-school Manager. But he is just one of a tidal wave of similar coaches appearing across the world taking the best from the past and melding it with contemporary sport science. 

What we have with RM- is pretty unique though and I’d rather concentrate on that  rather than what we do not have. Support Enjoy and spotlight what is good rather than constantly attempting to undermine him is my view. 

Every criticism of him could be levelled at any manager at various times in any league. He’s as stubborn, arrogant,  medal-free, egotistic, nepotistic, inflexible, classy or classless, over flexible, tactically all over the shop, one dimensional and over fixated with stats and hipster thinking as most every other manager. Go to any fan forum and you will find a supporter criticising the manager for the above.
I stead why not try being grateful for what’s been done that’s good instead of ( as some here do) exclusively trying to turn every misstep into a court martial offence. Anybody would get peeved off at such a fickle fan pov. I know I would. 

I don’t think you get it.

He could do better. He should be doing better. Every fan and their mother-in-law’s dog can see what he’s doing wrong. That’s what’s so frustrating.

Edited by Whitey Grandad
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

He could do better. He should be doing better. Every fan and their mother-in-law’s dog can see what he’s doing wrong. That’s what’s so frustrating.

Pretty much all managers could do better at times, and all fanbases think the stuff they do wrong is extremely obvious - its always been like it and always will.

The fact is that there is also so much that he is doing and has done well, that IMO it massively outweighs the stuff he could have done better.

He joined a club with ingrained poor performance where virtually every player wanted to leave and was asked to get results whilst simultaneously completely changing the style of play. 

He has achieved strong enough results to mean he went unbeaten for more matches than any other manager in the history of the club and by Feb have pretty much guarenteed a playoff place with auto promotion still a possibility, albeit not as strong as about 10days ago.

He has been integral in signing certain players who have been amongst our best (Downes and Fraser in particular) improved players, motivated players, kept pretty much every squad member involved and created what appears to be a good team spirit.

We are in a Championship season with unusual performance at the top of the league, and were unfortunate that the two others who came down were already better than us last season and had a lot of good players who they kept.

Is he perfect? Which managers are? Is he doing a good job? By pretty much every criteria - yes.

As for the emotional stuff - would prefer that than some of the managers we have had who barely seemed bothered.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 17

2 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Was going to reply but @Dusichas done it so much better! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dusic said:

Pretty much all managers could do better at times, and all fanbases think the stuff they do wrong is extremely obvious - its always been like it and always will.

The fact is that there is also so much that he is doing and has done well, that IMO it massively outweighs the stuff he could have done better.

He joined a club with ingrained poor performance where virtually every player wanted to leave and was asked to get results whilst simultaneously completely changing the style of play. 

He has achieved strong enough results to mean he went unbeaten for more matches than any other manager in the history of the club and by Feb have pretty much guarenteed a playoff place with auto promotion still a possibility, albeit not as strong as about 10days ago.

He has been integral in signing certain players who have been amongst our best (Downes and Fraser in particular) improved players, motivated players, kept pretty much every squad member involved and created what appears to be a good team spirit.

We are in a Championship season with unusual performance at the top of the league, and were unfortunate that the two others who came down were already better than us last season and had a lot of good players who they kept.

Is he perfect? Which managers are? Is he doing a good job? By pretty much every criteria - yes.

As for the emotional stuff - would prefer that than some of the managers we have had who barely seemed bothered.

Agree with all that. The way he’s turned the team round since the start of the season is astounding. It’s the injuries that have stalled us. Ross Stewart fully fit would be scoring goals for fun for example.

• Like 1

He’s a young, relatively inexperienced manager.  He has a philosophy.  I’m hoping experience will steer him away from one way of playing.  Unless your Man City, an identity, unfortunately, becomes a weakness.

We seems to have been worked out.  Time for a change in tactics.  2 centre forwards anyone?

• Like 3

Two-paced or even three-paced, not one-paced; positive, not negative, and progressive, incisive passing; fewer backward or sideways passes when scope for going forward exists; running forward off-the-ball into spaces; speed, not walking pace, in the counter-attack and urgency when chasing the game: all those would help.  But he seems not to value them.  That is why, IMO, he comes in for criticism on here.  Of course we all recognise the good things.  Some of us want more.  Who, except one or two I could name, is to say we are wrong?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tommy Mulgrew said:

Two-paced or even three-paced, not one-paced; positive, not negative, and progressive, incisive passing; fewer backward or sideways passes when scope for going forward exists; running forward off-the-ball into spaces; speed, not walking pace, in the counter-attack and urgency when chasing the game: all those would help.  But he seems not to value them.  That is why, IMO, he comes in for criticism on here.  Of course we all recognise the good things.  Some of us want more.  Who, except one or two I could name, is to say we are wrong?

I find posts like this bewildering. Granted our form has dropped a bit of late but to say we’ve been negative, slow and not incisive this season under Russell is an opinion I struggle to have any common ground with. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I do not particularly rate him, and believe his success is largely due to the colossal squad/spending power we have over 21 other teams in the league.

To be fair to Martin he has had only a single season at a totally new club to teach his methods, recruit a reliable and resilient team and hone their skills to play the way he wants them to play and be expected to gain promotion at the first attempt. On that basis he has over-achieved by any measure of reasonable expectation as witnessed by our recent record unbeaten run of matches.

Bear in mind too the pressures on him of knowing that anything less than promotion this season will be regarded widely as failure and that he won't have the luxury of a second season with his current first choice squad of players as many will de-camp in the summer. 

By comparison our three challengers have had mostly settled teams this season that have played together for a season or two before.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

He’s a young, relatively inexperienced manager.  He has a philosophy.  I’m hoping experience will steer him away from one way of playing.  Unless your Man City, an identity, unfortunately, becomes a weakness.

We seems to have been worked out.  Time for a change in tactics.  2 centre forwards anyone?

I'd settle for one. Preferably one that is fully fit. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

To be fair to Martin he has had only a single season at a totally new club to teach his methods, recruit a reliable and resilient team and hone their skills to play the way he wants them to play and be expected to gain promotion at the first attempt. On that basis he has over-achieved by any measure of reasonable expectation as witnessed by our recent record unbeaten run of matches.

Bear in mind too the pressures on him of knowing that anything less than promotion this season will be regarded widely as failure and that he won't have the luxury of a second season with his current first choice squad of players as many will de-camp in the summer. 

By comparison our three challengers have had mostly settled teams this season that have played together for a season or two before.

I think that's very generous. He has the 3rd (some might argue 2nd) best squad in the league sitting in 4th. Of course there are other factors at play and there are certainly facets of his management he's done very well in like man management and implementing his methods for instance (although personally I think his football philosophy is fundamentally flawed).

I would argue Leeds started the season equally as unsettled as us (new manager and losing players but, unlike us, without decent fees) so while it's a valid point to make, it isn't true to say we were the only unsettled side going for promotion at the start of the season. You could argue he's settled the ship and he deserves praise for that but I would categorise that as a minimum expectation. Do I see what he's done as an over-achievement? Not really.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, notnowcato said:

I find posts like this bewildering. Granted our form has dropped a bit of late but to say we’ve been negative, slow and not incisive this season under Russell is an opinion I struggle to have any common ground with. 

Our slow and ponderous crab-football when chasing a winner or an equaliser towards the end of a game.  Exciting and incisive?  Nah.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Tommy Mulgrew said:

Our slow and ponderous crab-football when chasing a winner or an equaliser towards the end of a game.  Exciting and incisive?  Nah.

You did read the part in my post about our form dropping off lately?? Nah. 

Saints under RM play unincisive uninspiring football?

Some of you have got the memory of a goldfish. And refuse to look at the facts telling you exactly how many goals & how many forward passes we make compared to rest of the league. None so blind as cannot and will not see.

You mistake not letting the opposition have the ball with being not incisive when the whole point is to rip through teams - which we have done time and time again with incisive passes created by that possession based football which frustrates YOU and the opposition so much. 

How would you describe last season then? Incisive? Goals a plenty? Thrills and spills? Entertainment? Proud of the way your team played? Excited going to SMS each week to see another shocking performance. No, it was Rubbish with a capital R. You don’t know how lucky you are our team is competitive and respected - and the name of Southampton FC does not provoke sniggers but rather respect from the football world. But not from some of our football club supporters used to what exactly? The glory years 1982/3/4 when we were last a real force to be reckoned with???

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

You don’t know how lucky you are our team is competitive and respected - and the name of Southampton FC does not provoke sniggers but rather respect from the football world. But not from some of our football club supporters used to what exactly? The glory years 1982/3/4 when we were last a real force to be reckoned with???

We’ve been in the top flight pretty much most of the past 50 years, and during that time we were as respected every bit as we are now, if not more. I don’t recall anyone asking why we can’t play like we did in the early 80’s, people understand that ship has sailed. People are entitled to criticise the style of football if they don’t like. Fuck me, you appear to be saying we should be grateful we’re 4th in Division 2. My opinion, shared by others, is most of the time this style of football is fucking tedious and dull. At times it can be boring  watching Man C & Arsenal play similarly, so I can’t imagine what watching Ryan Manning or Smallbone mincing around does to people. 

The bloke was brought in to get us promoted, if he does so, then the end justifies the means, results are the be all and end all in this league. But fuck me, it’s hard work watching it at times. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 6

We are an accident waiting to happen all the time with this stubbornness to play tippy tappy shite playing out from the back. 
we are under pressure from the get go. 
rewards can be great….but it’s so rare. 
we are on the back foot straightaway,playing into shit midfielders like Smallbone is a case in point. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, saint lard said:

We are an accident waiting to happen all the time with this stubbornness to play tippy tappy shite playing out from the back. 
we are on the back foot straightaway,playing into shit midfielders like Smallbone is a case in point. 

We lost to Liverpool, it was inevitable. Nothing about this result puts any credence on the ''Martin Out'' chat which people are so, so, so desperate to get going. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Tommy Mulgrew said:

Just like the last 20 mins of the cup game tonight.....................how many passes in or around our area time after time and still just passing it for the sake of passing and,still going nowhere apart from running into trouble gaining nothing and were still loosing.No forward passes turning their defence and trying to get forward quick.Too many passengers in the squad and playing tonight. What a wasted chance to beat Liverpool's youth and academy team tonight,whilst they are missing 13-14 regular first teamers, slightly deflating from a supporters viewpoint,and now the media clamour and over the top journalism about Liverpool's  resolve  and youth, not to mention as per Klopps last season etc etc.............Smallbone came on and i think his first 4-5 touches gave the ball away,Charles looked fucked after about 60 mins alongside Mara and yet managd to see the game through Why not introduce our youngsters Dibbling and SAA?,why take them at all? fucking just annoyed,our first half chances fell to the wrong players and thier poor judgement .Aribo thinks hes a plane or something,just waves this arms and pretends to try and challenge,Mara the same...big wasted oppertunity IMO.................................................rant over............  bollocks.

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

We lost to Liverpool, it was inevitable. Nothing about this result puts any credence on the ''Martin Out'' chat which people are so, so, so desperate to get going. 

Show me where I say ‘Martin out’.  I’ll wait. 

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

why not, once again we should have beaten a very youthfull inexperienced Liverpool team but our tepid second half approach meant we just needed to keep passing it about until we over passed it to the opposition or we got lucky and ................fuck were too slow as per

16 minutes ago, saint lard said:

Show me where I say ‘Martin out’.  I’ll wait. 

You don't have to be a genius to sniff out the narrative in your post - not just yours by the way, was a general observation.

The undertone is very odd. We went 25 games unbeaten playing the same way, if we want to rip it all up again and start from scratch after 2 or 3 iffy results then that's just odd imo.

As I said, there are seemingly people who have been waiting very impatiently in the background since September to ramp back up again.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 7

9 minutes ago, saint lard said:

so rare :D honestly, think before embarrassing yourself.

2 minutes ago, Roo1976 said:

why not, once again we should have beaten a very youthfull inexperienced Liverpool team but our tepid second half approach meant we just needed to keep passing it about until we over passed it to the opposition or we got lucky and ................fuck were too slow as per

Decent attackers, we score at least 1 goal, maybe 2. The approach created those moments, it was the quality in the final third which killed us - not the way we played.

An inexperienced Liverpool, who still included McAlistair, Gakpo, Gomez, Timaskis, VVD, Elliott, Konate in their team at varying points - not exactly a bunch of never heard of players, just saying.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Decent attackers, we score at least 1 goal, maybe 2. The approach created those moments, it was the quality in the final third which killed us - not the way we played.

An inexperienced Liverpool, who still included McAlistair, Gakpo, Gomez, Timaskis, VVD, Elliott, Konate in their team at varying points - not exactly a bunch of never heard of players, just saying.

Kelleher is arguably in better form than Allison

• Haha 1