Russell Martin

LegalEagle

7 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

It can't affect you if you don't see it. Social media and twitter in particular is poisonous, I'm much happier having nothing to do with it. I have a Facebook account but deleted the app and just use messenger and the only other thing I use that's remotely like a social media is YouTube. 

Honestly wish more people would give it up, the human brain isn't wired to deal with the level/type of social interaction and information those websites' algorithms force on you. 

Not wishing to go all MLG on you, but isn't this site classed as social media?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

He got some horrific stuff sent his way in mid week, as someone mentioned the lowest point was someone wishing he had cancer.

Absolutely twitter is full of non-people, just bots and lunatics who should be locked up, but it doesn't mean shit like that doesn't effect you in some way. You'd have to be inhuman to not let it. You can also use it as a bit of a galvanizing thing to throw back in peoples faces, which he did yesterday.

Let's not forget that Martin is an extremely emotional person, so it won't take much to get to him.

I guess you can put me down as inhuman. Once you get it into your had that Twitter is nothing more than a platform for literally anyone in the world to post anything, none of it actually matters. Obviously I'm not famous but if I was, I couldn't care less if random nutters were saying they're going to rape my mum and they hope my children get cancer. It's Twitter; a global cesspit of seven billion people's mental health and behavioural problems.

• Like 2

Easy to say just stay off social media or ignore it, but how do you think those close to him feel? What do fans know about whether his wife's (no idea if he is married or with anyone) family member has just been diagnosed and he is supporting her?

We all get emotional over football, and I know I've said things that I don't really think, but surely it is enough to just moan about lack of effort, style of play, etc without getting personal?

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I guess you can put me down as inhuman. Once you get it into your had that Twitter is nothing more than a platform for literally anyone in the world to post anything, none of it actually matters. Obviously I'm not famous but if I was, I couldn't care less if random nutters were saying they're going to rape my mum and they hope my children get cancer. It's Twitter; a global cesspit of seven billion people's mental health and behavioural problems.

Not every human being is the same, some people are really sensitive and are affected by things like that.

The thing is he didn't even need to go onto twitter to specifically look for that comment, it had been retweeted and just ended up on his normal feed I believe. Not everyone is made of steel and that's why those nut jobs on twitter get a massive kick out of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Cool story.

Meanwhile we spent the most on a single player in the Championship last summer.

You're pretending Flynn Downes and Taylor Harwood-Bellis are cast offs we scrimped together rather than high performing brilliant promotion level Championship talent?

We've got £25m players coming off the bench yesterday. 

Russell Martin was employed to get us promoted. This season.

Stop pretending it is some unbelievable miracle that we are fourth. We are at the bare minimum for the investment made and the support given.

I don't think it's a miracle - but I think he's doing a good job. Bit disingenuous the "bringing £25m players off the bench" - don't think anyone thinks Sulemana is worth anywhere near that much (Leeds and Leicester both had 2 players playing yesterday who cost that much or more). And Charles may have been the most expensive player, but he's been mostly shite. THB was good last year, but not deemed good enough by any PL team to sign (including the one he got promoted with) and Downes was a bit part player for Wet Spam.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

don't think anyone thinks Sulemana is worth anywhere near that much

We seemingly thought he was worth that, as he's our current record signing at £23.5m. And I imagine we'd be looking to recoup close to that when we sell him in the summer.

Edited by S-Clarke

2 hours ago, Farmer Saint said:

Just a quick precis:

- We were by far the worst team in the PL last season, both talent wise and performance wise. 

- We sold far more of our "good" players than both Leicester and Leeds, and brought in a mixture of Championship level loans and free transfers. 

- We had been poor for so many years that losing had become a habit. 

And yet, we are 4th in the table, 8 points off top.

Personally, I think it's utterly ridiculous the abuse and criticism that RM and the team endure. Just my two pence worth, but I think we're doing alright.

Could not agree with you more, Farmer.  We're also playing some of the best football I've seen us play for many, many years.

Edited by notnowcato
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Cool story.

Meanwhile we spent the most on a single player in the Championship last summer.

You're pretending Flynn Downes and Taylor Harwood-Bellis are cast offs we scrimped together rather than high performing brilliant promotion level Championship talent?

We've got £25m players coming off the bench yesterday. 

Russell Martin was employed to get us promoted. This season.

Stop pretending it is some unbelievable miracle that we are fourth. We are at the bare minimum for the investment made and the support given.

Not a miracle, just a bloody good job so far.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

I don't think it's a miracle - but I think he's doing a good job. Bit disingenuous the "bringing £25m players off the bench" - don't think anyone thinks Sulemana is worth anywhere near that much (Leeds and Leicester both had 2 players playing yesterday who cost that much or more). And Charles may have been the most expensive player, but he's been mostly shite. THB was good last year, but not deemed good enough by any PL team to sign (including the one he got promoted with) and Downes was a bit part player for Wet Spam.

I was replying to your ridiculously disingenous post in the first place, so I wouldn't chuck that word around too much if I were you.

1 hour ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Not wishing to go all MLG on you, but isn't this site classed as social media?

5 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Not in my mind as it exists to discuss a specific topic. 

Yeah, tend to agree with that. This place is more akin to having a chat down the pub with the regulars whereas social media is more akin to spouting nonsense to random strangers at speakers corner. 

(Better analogies are probably available!)

Edited by trousers

2 hours ago, trousers said:

Interesting choice of adjective at the end there. I don't think you'd get many on here arguing against the view that we're doing "alright". Had you chosen to use "excellent" or "superb" instead, I suspect you may have attracted more disagreement...

Screenshot_20240303-102521.png

Well, I think any manager would have to be doing amazing or superb to have us top, so I think my wording is about right. 

40 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I was replying to your ridiculously disingenous post in the first place, so I wouldn't chuck that word around too much if I were you.

You OK hun? Sorry, but what was disingenuous about my post? I genuinely think he's doing a good job.

Edited by Farmer Saint

2 hours ago, Farmer Saint said:

Just a quick precis:

- We were by far the worst team in the PL last season, both talent wise and performance wise. 

- We sold far more of our "good" players than both Leicester and Leeds, and brought in a mixture of Championship level loans and free transfers. 

- We had been poor for so many years that losing had become a habit. 

And yet, we are 4th in the table, 8 points off top.

Personally, I think it's utterly ridiculous the abuse and criticism that RM and the team endure. Just my two pence worth, but I think we're doing alright.

I agree with a lot of what you say. However, we are clearly getting some things wrong and, as this is a forum where people express their views, fans are free to point out what they think RM could do better. It's not always abuse or even criticism it's often just an opinion put forward suggesting alternative options. We are all allowed to point out things we think could be improved upon. We don't have to meekly accept that everything RM does is for the best. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, saintant said:

I agree with a lot of what you say. However, we are clearly getting some things wrong and, as this is a forum where people express their views, fans are free to point out what they think RM could do better. It's not always abuse or even criticism it's often just an opinion put forward suggesting alternative options. We are all allowed to point out things we think could be improved upon. We don't have to meekly accept that everything RM does is for the best. 

Oh, I agree, defence has been poor recently, but the amount of fans that seemingly want him sacked, or one fan yesterday saying he'd prefer Nathan Jones in charge 😝

Madness. I think people just need to calm down and be more objective, that's all. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

Well, I think any manager would have to be doing amazing or superb to have us top, so I think my wording is about right. 

I didn't say it wasn't, quite the opposite... I agree with you... he has indeed done "alright" so far. I think most on here would agree with you too. 

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Not every human being is the same, some people are really sensitive and are affected by things like that.

The thing is he didn't even need to go onto twitter to specifically look for that comment, it had been retweeted and just ended up on his normal feed I believe. Not everyone is made of steel and that's why those nut jobs on twitter get a massive kick out of it.

It’s not even about being made of steel, I’m certainly not. If one of my parents had said, “I don’t love you, you’re a terrible son,” I’d be absolutely devastated by it, I’m not a soulless monster. This is about recognising things for what they are. Anonymous ramblings from mentally unhinged strangers you’ll likely never meet. If you don’t give there thoughts any value or meaning yourself, then there is nothing to be resilient of in the first place, so being either mentally rigid or sensitive doesn’t come into it.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

You OK hun? Sorry, but what was disingenuous about my post? I genuinely think he's doing a good job.

Pretty obvious that isn't the disingenuous part, sweetheart.

53 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Pretty obvious that isn't the disingenuous part, sweetheart.

Perhaps you can explain - there is nothing in there disingenuous - I'm just trying to ensure that people are looking at things with perspective. 

It's fine if you can't find anything, there is nothing in there, but I'd appreciate it if you can let me know so I can improve my writing style if that's the way it comes across. You seem pretty angry about it, so there must be something pretty big in there that has wound you up. 

Edited by Farmer Saint

59 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

It’s not even about being made of steel, I’m certainly not. If one of my parents had said, “I don’t love you, you’re a terrible son,” I’d be absolutely devastated by it, I’m not a soulless monster. This is about recognising things for what they are. Anonymous ramblings from mentally unhinged strangers you’ll likely never meet. If you don’t give there thoughts any value or meaning yourself, then there is nothing to be resilient of in the first place, so being either mentally rigid or sensitive doesn’t come into it.

Some people just struggle with it - not saying it is right, but some people do - different strokes for different folks. We can all rationalise it and say they shouldn't, but if we were all thought the same way it'd be a pretty boring world. 

3 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Plus, it's not compulsory, no social media is, not even for young professional footballers.

Pretty simple answer, don't want to know what absolute melts on social media are saying, don't read social media!

2 hours ago, trousers said:

Yeah, tend to agree with that. This place is more akin to having a chat down the pub with the regulars whereas social media is more akin to spouting nonsense to random strangers at speakers corner. 

(Better analogies are probably available!)

Couldn’t agree more. Oh and the end is nigh unless we all repent.

41 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

Perhaps you can explain - there is nothing in there disingenuous - I'm just trying to ensure that people are looking at things with perspective. 

It's fine if you can't find anything, there is nothing in there, but I'd appreciate it if you can let me know so I can improve my writing style if that's the way it comes across. You seem pretty angry about it, so there must be something pretty big in there that has wound you up. 

All there in my original reply this morning, sunshine. Read it again if you like.

4 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Nobody could ever accuse you of going OTT that's for sure.

Twitter works perfectly decently for perfectly decent people of which I am one.

2 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

I think you need to calm down mate - you're coming across a bit hysterical. 

All I was doing was saying we aren't doing that badly, and that we haven't quite had the resources Leeds and Leicester have this season. 

well, we kind of have

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

All I was doing was saying we aren't doing that badly, and that we haven't quite had the resources Leeds and Leicester have this season. 

We have.

The "perspective" you need is that Sports Republic have an aim to get back to the Premier League immediately, which is why Wilcox was brought in, which is why we spent more than any other club on a single player, which is why we managed to sign top drawer players for this level like Fraser, Downes and THB, which is why we kept KWP and Sulemana and Smallbone and Adams, which is why we signed big name loanees like Brooks and Rothwell.

Which is why the club is expecting to get promoted - not to "not do that badly". He's not managing some plucky underdog team cobbled together with "free transfers" like you seem to think.

Martin is doing well, we are bang on two points a game which in any "normal" season is autos all day long, so good.  If we finish the season on 2 points a game then he's done a very good job, it will be by far the best season of his career. But, if we don't go up, he will also have failed in his key objective.

That's the non disingenuous perspective you need.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 8

17 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

“Shoot hard and low on sight of goal”

From a book on football that I had over 70 years ago. The advice is still valid.

I still treasure the old Charles Buchan Football Monthlies.

Stanley Matthews talking about health tips that have provided him with such a long career. "I felt that passing out blind drunk after snorting a nosebag of coke might impede my performance."

Or Tommy Lawton on the secrets of his striking prowess. "Confidence is vital. I'd fancy my chances of scoring against any defence. People see the centre forward as being physical. But there's more to it than that. The use of xG has shown me how to use my brains to pick out where the best chances are."

Edited by Holmes_and_Watson
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

I still treasure the old Charles Buchan Football Monthlies.

Stanley Matthews talking about health tips that have provided him with such a long career. "I felt that passing out blind drunk after snorting a nosebag of coke might impede my performance."

Or Tommy Lawton on the secrets of his striking prowess. "Confidence is vital. I'd fancy my chances of scoring against any defence. People see the centre forward as being physical. But there's more to it than that. The use of xG has shown me how to use my brians to pick out where the best chances are."

Isn't it cheating to use Brians?

1 minute ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Isn't it cheating to use Brians?

Noes! I noticed it and went to edit....but too late!!!!

Lawton, as those who take an interest in football history will know, received a 3 year ban after it was revealed he wasn't overweight. He was concealing a man named Brian under his shirt, who he would raise above him for high crosses.

🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Noes! I noticed it and went to edit....but too late!!!!

Lawton, as those who take an interest in football history will know, received a 3 year ban after it was revealed he wasn't overweight. He was concealing a man named Brian under his shirt, who he would raise above him for high crosses.

🙂

Perhaps this is the first recorded use of ‘Brian’ in football speak.

Growing up in the 1979’s I thought ”Well Brian, the wife and kids come first ..” was due to Brian Moore, but seems to predate him by a couple of decades. 

21 hours ago, The Cat said:

That's because the crowd started doing the "ohhhh" thing expecting him to do it.

You conveniently ignored the fact he was pushing Will in front of us to take applause and do the fist pumps as well and then hugging him while we sang his name again?

Couldn't hear that from my side, but still funny. 

8 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

You think Adams and Aribo goals were hard and low? Really?

Both were controlled finishes into the corner. So low and hard enough for what was required. All the goals yesterday were good composed finishes.

As have been a lot of our goals this season actually. Both the goals vs WBA were very well taken for example.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Perhaps this is the first recorded use of ‘Brian’ in football speak.

Growing up in the 1979’s I thought ”Well Brian, the wife and kids come first ..” was due to Brian Moore, but seems to predate him by a couple of decades. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

So if we’re 7th in the World on this, but yet can’t even get automatics in the second division… what does that tell us?

That our players can't finish or defend?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

55 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

So if we’re 7th in the World on this, but yet can’t even get automatics in the second division… what does that tell us?

That it's not a particularly useful statistic? 

I'd rather have Leeds goals against record - I wonder where are in the world on that.

On 20/03/2024 at 01:37, skintsaint said:

CDN media

#russball

Only us and Munich are more than a couple of points off top of our respective leagues in that table. 

Shows the importance of possession, but as has been pointed out we've been lacking in execution sadly...

• Like 1