Russell Martin

LegalEagle

55 minutes ago, Victor said:

Scottish!? 

Have a look at a map and check where Brighton is - somewhere in the middle at the bottom if you're holding the map the right way up ( a clue: the arrow with an 'N' by it is pointing to the top).

Oops.     What a clanger.....played for Scotland though didn't he.    My reference to Poch was simply the relative youth of Martin and, like Poch, seems to have retained a lot of his skills and touch which judged by the pre-season training clips can only help him win some respect and admiration from the squad; something Pochettino achieved quickly post-Atkins.

Clearly though he has to demonstrate a lot more than passing skills on the track and measured interviews, but the early signs are hopeful, aren't they?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Badger said:

As Scottish as Che, presumably through parents or grandparents.

Don’t see why there is such surprise. Presumably even as a vegan he can still eat a battered mars bar when he feels like it. 

As a vegetarian; yes, as a vegan; no.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

In a world where school kids can identify as a fucking cactus, a grown man choosing to identify as Scottish doesn't really cut it anymore in the "things that are weird" stakes.

On the cactus theme it’s also quite commonplace these days for people to self-identify as pricks. Even without knowing it. 

• Haha 6

The amount of people on here desperately trying to ignore Russell's previous record of mediocre possession based football is astounding but amusing.

He is well known for his style, his 'trust the process football ', his hopeless defensive record etc yet you guys are expecting him to suddenly change everything about himself even as he tells you he won't. 

Its Carrillo all over again. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Kermitzasaint said:

The amount of people on here desperately trying to ignore Russell's previous record of mediocre possession based football is astounding but amusing.

He is well known for his style, his 'trust the process football ', his hopeless defensive record etc yet you guys are expecting him to suddenly change everything about himself even as he tells you he won't. 

Its Carrillo all over again. 

Our new manager is... a shit striker all over again?

Personally I'm not hoping Martin changes. And I AM worried that he has no Plan B and no interest in trying one (though the last 18 months of Ralph - when he went from "Plan A: high press and try to score quickly off a turnover" to "Plan B: try to not concede 9 in a game" - were shit). I'm just hoping that his possession-based Plan A - which is proven to work at higher levels than the Championship - when combined with a better squad than he had last year results in a better result than he managed last year (top 2 instead of top 10).

Saints are a big fish in a small pond this year, compared to the past few where the opposite was the case. Chances are we'll have plenty of possession whether we intentionally play keepball or not. So having our whole gameplan and coaching be based on the idea of "we have the ball a lot; how do we score?" is a good idea.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chiknsmack said:

Our new manager is... a shit striker all over again?

Personally I'm not hoping Martin changes. And I AM worried that he has no Plan B and no interest in trying one (though the last 18 months of Ralph - when he went from "Plan A: high press and try to score quickly off a turnover" to "Plan B: try to not concede 9 in a game" - were shit). I'm just hoping that his possession-based Plan A - which is proven to work at higher levels than the Championship - when combined with a better squad than he had last year results in a better result than he managed last year (top 2 instead of top 10).

Saints are a big fish in a small pond this year, compared to the past few where the opposite was the case. Chances are we'll have plenty of possession whether we intentionally play keepball or not. So having our whole gameplan and coaching be based on the idea of "we have the ball a lot; how do we score?" is a good idea.

You don't remember when certain posters were tying themselves in knots trying to argue that a striker who doesn't score goals is exactly what we needed at the time?

Russell has had no success previously yet suddenly because he speaks well and can pass the ball, is exactly what we need. 

Its no different to marrying the local slapper at the pub, trying to convince yourself she won't shag your mates after a few drinks.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Kermitzasaint said:

You don't remember when certain posters were tying themselves in knots trying to argue that a striker who doesn't score goals is exactly what we needed at the time?

No. I try to remember as little as possible of the Pellegrino era. As far as I remember It went Adkins, Poch, Koeman, Gabbiadini scoring against Swansea, Ralphball, Broken Ralph trying to play too defensively, a fever dream involving a cracked-out ferret with a Welsh accent, then Spanish Broken Ralph.

17 minutes ago, Kermitzasaint said:

Russell has had no success previously yet suddenly because he speaks well and can pass the ball, is exactly what we need. 

I get what you're saying here. austsaint saying "he's young and passes well so he's just like Pochettino. Let's call him Scotchettino" is a bit silly.

That said, he got the job at MK Dons (who had picked up three points from 27 to start the season) while he was still playing, and kept them up. The next year he got them to mid-table. He then, less than a week before the season started, took over a Swansea side whose parachute payments had run out (with all the negative impacts that has on the squad and finances). They finished 15th, then improved to 10th last year.

It seems that all he does is walk into bad situations and improve things. Someone who can do THAT is exactly what we need.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Kermitzasaint said:

Its no different to marrying the local slapper at the pub, trying to convince yourself she won't shag your mates after a few drinks.

It's totally different. Very amusing but a really poor analogy.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, chiknsmack said:

No. I try to remember as little as possible of the Pellegrino era. As far as I remember It went Adkins, Poch, Koeman, Gabbiadini scoring against Swansea, Ralphball, Broken Ralph trying to play too defensively, a fever dream involving a cracked-out ferret with a Welsh accent, then Spanish Broken Ralph.

I get what you're saying here. austsaint saying "he's young and passes well so he's just like Pochettino. Let's call him Scotchettino" is a bit silly.

That said, he got the job at MK Dons (who had picked up three points from 27 to start the season) while he was still playing, and kept them up. The next year he got them to mid-table. He then, less than a week before the season started, took over a Swansea side whose parachute payments had run out (with all the negative impacts that has on the squad and finances). They finished 15th, then improved to 10th last year.

It seems that all he does is walk into bad situations and improve things. Someone who can do THAT is exactly what we need.

I like what you're saying, but there is a difference between making improvements in a bad situation to building a promotion season.

I'm sure his target is promotion, it is for mosts fans. I'm calmly hopeful of a good season.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

I like what you're saying, but there is a difference between making improvements in a bad situation to building a promotion season.

I'm sure his target is promotion, it is for mosts fans. I'm calmly hopeful of a good season.

I think his point is that he's always improved teams, so if he's starting with something half decent, he should results. 

Personally, I'm not excited by this brand of football, but, it's the brand we've got and this is the manager we'll have for the foreseeable future.

I'm going into this season more positive than I have for a while and hopefully the football will grow on me, and we'll have a good crack at promotion. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, egg said:

I think his point is that he's always improved teams, so if he's starting with something half decent, he should results. 

Personally, I'm not excited by this brand of football, but, it's the brand we've got and this is the manager we'll have for the foreseeable future.

I'm going into this season more positive than I have for a while and hopefully the football will grow on me, and we'll have a good crack at promotion. 

I get the logic, but it doesn't always follow. Turning the corner with a struggling team can be easier than staging a season long promotion push. However to say RMs managerial achievements are without merit is wrong. Time will tell. 

Personally I wanted a bit more in our new manager but there's enough there to be hopeful this season and the fact he is a decent guy will buy him more credit to begin with.

• Like 2

For years now Saints have struggled against sides that park the bus, shut up shop or form a low block - whatever the latest catchphrase is. When the last third of the pitch is packed full of defenders you need a seriously skilful attacking force to cut through that consistently: I'm not talking about getting a result every now and then, but consistently, week in week out. 

Manchester City play against teams in this formation for the vast majority of the season. They have had to adapt to create a team that does consistently cut through. 

We have just bought the 2nd most expensive player in the history of the Championship - he's 19 and aside from 8 games for Northern Ireland has only come on as a sub once in men's football. It would seem that we have deeper pockets than Leicester and Leeds. 

We Are The Richest Team In The League. In terms of opposition tactics we will be treated as the Championship's version of Manchester City. 

Week in week out we'll be faced with awkward teams. As Saints fans we know that our current attacking force would struggle to fight their way out of a wet paper bag never mind an entire league geared to scuppering them. 

Man City, Burnley and it would seem Russell Martin, have recognised that once you get your team to a good level you'll usually face that wall, and won't be going anywhere unless you can break through it. So why build a good team in a style that won't break through it, only to be disappointed at the end. Better to commit to the style that should have success. 

At this point feel free to regale me with stories of Leicester's PL championship win with a counter attacking side; but we all know they were seriously underestimated for most of that season, they had some talented players, virtually no injuries and every player played out of their skin every week. An unlikely and unsustainable state of affairs as their later results demonstrated.

If it gives some room at the top of the pitch for our limited attacking force to work with, then I'm ok with a bit of poncing around at the back, provided we're not being completely bloody stupid about it.

Edited by Patches O Houlihan
spell check didn't like poncing
  • Like 15

Its ironic that Tella was burnley's top scorer last season with 19 goals then Manuel Benson (13), Anass Zaroury (11) and Jay Rodriguez (10).

Not what anyone would of predicted was a stellar strike force, didnt watch too much of anyone in champs last year but I guess burnley were good on the quick transitions to get tella on the break or 1v1.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, goodymatt said:

Interesting interview with Martin on how things are going so far. 

Thanks for linking that. It was interesting.

Martin said, “I’m hoping to see more life and energy from the boys." I think Jones was seeing something similar in those clips when he joined. A lack of communication. A certain insularness, from results, and possibly RalphBall fatigue.

It's nice seeing the clips too, but I just see groups of players wishing the cameras would sod off, going through the drills.

Martin seems well aware of the problems in having such a large squad, and getting a winning mentality across it, even though there will be plenty of changes.

There's a definite cheapshot about why the players didn't react to an excellent Baz save. 🙂

• Like 3

3 hours ago, goodymatt said:

Interesting interview with Martin on how things are going so far. 

He's not wrong. The team last season very clearly wasn't playing for each other. If we can't change that we're more likely to drop again than come straight back up.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, coalman said:

He's not wrong. The team last season very clearly wasn't playing for each other. If we can't change that we're more likely to drop again than come straight back up.

you dont play high intensity pressing football half arsed, confidence was the issue which led to overwhelming shitness

1 hour ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Thanks for linking that. It was interesting.

Martin said, “I’m hoping to see more life and energy from the boys." I think Jones was seeing something similar in those clips when he joined. A lack of communication. A certain insularness, from results, and possibly RalphBall fatigue.

It's nice seeing the clips too, but I just see groups of players wishing the cameras would sod off, going through the drills.

Martin seems well aware of the problems in having such a large squad, and getting a winning mentality across it, even though there will be plenty of changes.

There's a definite cheapshot about why the players didn't react to an excellent Baz save. 🙂

It seems to me that they need some team bonding time exercises. Get them down Shirley high street trying out an escape room or something. 

5 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

you dont play high intensity pressing football half arsed, confidence was the issue which led to overwhelming shitness

I don't remember us playing that much high intensity pressing football last season. There were odd games here and there where we looked like a football team.

Agree about the confidence.

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

It seems to me that they need some team bonding time exercises. Get them down Shirley high street trying out an escape room or something. 

Off they go...

Escape...From Relegation Room!

Escape...From The Championship Room!

Thorougly demoralised, they return to training... 🙂

19 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

The daily echo doesn't have enough adverts for my liking

The Echo appears to have a genuine football writer now rather rather than copying articles from other papers.

Still it’s completely unreadable with all the adverts.

• Like 4

Main points

- squad is too big and the squad he'll have at the end of the window is unlikely to be the one he starts with

- praised the players for their work ethic in training

- they will bring in players if it strengthens the squad

- playing style will evolve - every game has been an improvement tactically

- by the time the season starts we won't be the finished article but will be competing to win games

• Like 4

1 hour ago, coalman said:

Main points

- squad is too big and the squad he'll have at the end of the window is unlikely to be the one he starts with

- praised the players for their work ethic in training

- they will bring in players if it strengthens the squad

- playing style will evolve - every game has been an improvement tactically

- by the time the season starts we won't be the finished article but will be competing to win games

Speaks very well and comes over as earnest and thought out. Night and day compared to Jones. 

• Like 11

48 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Speaks very well and comes over as earnest and thought out. Night and day compared to Jones. 

I like the way he goes out of the way to talk up the people around him. That's a really positive sign.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

That's true but if Jones had been successful on the pitch we would have been loving his confidence and no nonsense attitude. I do like how Martin comes accross but it's not going to take much to find him intensely irritating if he doesn't get results. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

That's true but if Jones had been successful on the pitch we would have been loving his confidence and no nonsense attitude. I do like how Martin comes accross but it's not going to take much to find him intensely irritating if he doesn't get results. 

Agree that patience will be thin but also we need to be realistic. He doesn't know which players will still be here in September and its widely expected that the vast majority, if not all, of our players who would be amongst the very best in the league at this level will be leaving.

Obviously important to get off to a good start and he and the club will be well aware of that but there has and will be so much change between May and August/Sept that I think its reasonable to expect some up and down results to start with.

The Championship is a long season where you can make up ground quickly and the absolute last thing we need after last season is fans getting on a managers back after 5 games because we haven't won them all or looks a bit disjointed.

As Martin said yesterday we are moving from one end of the spectrum to the other in terms of styls of play. That won't come together straight away, especially when our best players and real difference makers will be sold.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Dusic said:

Agree that patience will be thin but also we need to be realistic. He doesn't know which players will still be here in September and its widely expected that the vast majority, if not all, of our players who would be amongst the very best in the league at this level will be leaving.

Obviously important to get off to a good start and he and the club will be well aware of that but there has and will be so much change between May and August/Sept that I think its reasonable to expect some up and down results to start with.

The Championship is a long season where you can make up ground quickly and the absolute last thing we need after last season is fans getting on a managers back after 5 games because we haven't won them all or looks a bit disjointed.

As Martin said yesterday we are moving from one end of the spectrum to the other in terms of styls of play. That won't come together straight away, especially when our best players and real difference makers will be sold.

I completely agree. I actually think it's more likely if we do get promoted that we go up next year rather than this year because we simply haven't had enough time and there's been too much upheaval. 

Someone posted earlier in the summer about Burnley having a slow start but only losing a small amount of games all year (was it three?) I would say if we avoid too many early defeats if possible that will give us a good indication of if we're going to have a chance of automatic promotion or not this year. I reckon we will know fairly quickly. 

27 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Of course, and results are everything in top class sport, but he’s likeable. An attribute not to be taken lightly when considering the personalities (and lack of) in our recent history.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Of course, and results are everything in top class sport, but he’s likeable. An attribute not to be taken lightly when considering the personalities (and lack of) in our recent history.

Agreed. Likeable people are more likely to persuade other people of their ideas. Much more likely.

• Like 1

Blimey he does love to talk, I fell asleep after about ten minutes. I hope he said something useful but to me it just sounded like standard audience pleasing claptrap. Still results are always the best remedy for verbal diarrhoea.

The stand out was the reference to Romeo (Lavia) playing alongside Charles…… hmmm…. interesting.

11 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Blimey he does love to talk, I fell asleep after about ten minutes. I hope he said something useful but to me it just sounded like standard audience pleasing claptrap. Still results are always the best remedy for verbal diarrhoea.

The stand out was the reference to Romeo (Lavia) playing alongside Charles…… hmmm…. interesting.

Agreed re Lavia. I wondered if anyone else caught that...might be telling.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I completely agree. I actually think it's more likely if we do get promoted that we go up next year rather than this year because we simply haven't had enough time and there's been too much upheaval. 

Someone posted earlier in the summer about Burnley having a slow start but only losing a small amount of games all year (was it three?) I would say if we avoid too many early defeats if possible that will give us a good indication of if we're going to have a chance of automatic promotion or not this year. I reckon we will know fairly quickly. 

I agree. I'm quietly hopeful of promotion this season, but far from expectant of it. I think we'll have a slow start, then have more player movements during the latter part of the window, then take time to settle again. By the following season we'd have well and truly settled in the style of play, and hopefully have a much more settled squad.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, egg said:

I agree. I'm quietly hopeful of promotion this season, but far from expectant of it. I think we'll have a slow start, then have more player movements during the latter part of the window, then take time to settle again. By the following season we'd have well and truly settled in the style of play, and hopefully have a much more settled squad.

I think I'd be surprised if we didn't make the playoffs where anything can happen but automatic seems unlikely at the moment. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

So you mean like every single time any player, manager or board member of any club in the country gives any media interview?

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Said at 14.53 of course.

• Haha 4

It’s starting to become apparent that the thoughts of many in terms of the squad being quiet and ‘son-in-law’ types is actually not too far from the truth. RM’s referral to Manning and him being loud/verbal speaks volumes…wouldn’t be surprised to see him made Captain if JWP departs.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

It’s starting to become apparent that the thoughts of many in terms of the squad being quiet and ‘son-in-law’ types is actually not too far from the truth. RM’s referral to Manning and him being loud/verbal speaks volumes…wouldn’t be surprised to see him made Captain if JWP departs.

We probably shouldn't be too surprised, but interesting to hear it from someone who is a recently retired player and someone who was the captain of a successful Norwich side (relative to the club's status) for several years.

Edited by CSA96

RM was appointed 5 weeks ago today… 

a. What does everyone think regarding progress with implementing a new style and developing the squad?

I feel that there has been definite progress in terms of patterns of play, but he (RM), and everyone else would have hoped for there to have been more player movement at this stage. The side still feel like a temporary one as we wait for players to leave…

b. Doesn’t this make a mockery of the lack of progress made during the World Cup mid season break?

I can’t remember how many weeks players had between the appointment of Jones, and the first game, but I can remember the result being a shambles. What a waste…

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SherborneSaint said:

a. What does everyone think regarding progress with implementing a new style and developing the squad?

I feel that there has been definite progress in terms of patterns of play, but he (RM), and everyone else would have hoped for there to have been more player movement at this stage. The side still feel like a temporary one as we wait for players to leave…

b. Doesn’t this make a mockery of the lack of progress made during the World Cup mid season break?

I can’t remember how many weeks players had between the appointment of Jones, and the first game, but I can remember the result being a shambles. What a waste…

Jones decided to give the players two weeks off during the World Cup break rather than start working with them.

So far I've been impressed but that may be down to my desperate need to believe that our current manager is the answer. Our defending is still not great to say the least but at least we may have a cutting edge. Don't think I could watch another season like last one of dour football.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SherborneSaint said:

I think he comes across well, seems to have his head on straight. The transfer movement in and out isn't really in his control - seems like it's probably going to be a bit messy as to who stays, who goes, and who comes in right up until the end of the window. Such is the market and the consequences of getting relegated with an enormous squad of overpriced ballast.

Personally, I'm suspicious of "philosophy" managers, who seem more obsessed with the purity of their vision than actually winning football matches. What if the squad we end up with can't - as is the case presently - pass out from the back under pressure? Do we just barrel on regardless, conceding ridiculously self-inflicted goals because the manager knows no other way, and shrug it off as the cost of playing "the right way"? What if "the right way" only gets us to mid-table? Is it still the right way?

Time will tell if Martin is able to compromise, which I suspect he'll have to do at points if he wants to make it to Christmas.

Edited by qwertyell
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, SherborneSaint said:

I like him, seems to know what he wants and is an incredibly likable character which I can imagine will build up a bit of a feel good mood inside the camp. There still needs to be a lot of work in the squad, but this is probably the first time he'll be able to mould a squad in exactly the way he views football. At Swansea and MK he had to make do, but he'll have more flexibility here.

When Jones came in I didn't like him, no one did really - just the vibe he gave off, looked totally out of his depth. Martin seems to have a lot more about him, understands the issues of years gone past - and most importantly, for me, isn't throwing those who went before him under the bus as Jones was so inclined to do.  ''Not my fault gov', you were crap before me''

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 4

49 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

I think he comes across well, seems to have his head on straight. The transfer movement in and out isn't really in his control - seems like it's probably going to be a bit messy as to who stays, who goes, and who comes in right up until the end of the window. Such is the market and the consequences of getting relegated with an enormous squad of overpriced ballast.

Personally, I'm suspicious of "philosophy" managers, who seem more obsessed with the purity of their vision than actually winning football matches. What if the squad we end up with can't - as is the case presently - pass out from the back under pressure? Do we just barrel on regardless, conceding ridiculously self-inflicted goals because the manager knows no other way, and shrug it off as the cost of playing "the right way"? What if "the right way" only gets us to mid-table? Is it still the right way?

Time will tell if Martin is able to compromise, which I suspect he'll have to do at points if he wants to make it to Christmas.

TBF Russell Martin will be in control of Transfers. Jason Wilcox said in that official interview “ we won’t sign a player unless myself and Russell both agree”

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

In Martins first official interview he said in some games he will be open to change tactics. Doesn’t anyone pay attention to these interviews. Someone said it was bland. I thought he said a lot if you paid attention. Same with the Wilcox interview 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, manji said:

TBF Russell Martin will be in control of Transfers. Jason Wilcox said in that official interview “ we won’t sign a player unless myself and Russell both agree

Which suggests RM isn't in control of transfers and Wilcox has a casting vote, or is able to veto it. 

• Confused 1

40 minutes ago, manji said:

In Martins first official interview he said in some games he will be open to change tactics. Doesn’t anyone pay attention to these interviews. Someone said it was bland. I thought he said a lot if you paid attention. Same with the Wilcox interview 

Sometimes we'll pass it sideways then backwards, sometimes we'll pass it backwards then sideways.

Plenty of tactics to play with there.