Russell Martin

LegalEagle

"His job is to ensure the group is ready for that and to convince who he can to stay".

The problem will be the money. Footballers are no different to the rest of us, who in general live to their means. Few could take a huge drop in salary and still maintain their current lifestyles. Despite their wealth they will have large mortgages and kids at expensive private schools and still the need to keep up with their particular set of Jones's.

If they can get firm interest from a PL club they may have little choice but to accept whatever is on offer as it is bound to be more than we can pay them in the EFL Championship. A professional footballer's career is notoriously short so they are conditioned to think short term just to ensure that the gravy train keeps flowing and none of us would blame them.

Edited by Charlie Wayman

im pretty sure RM done a no look pass in this… and once again, while it’s not overtly technical stuff… they’re starting to look far more engaged (as previous). Maybe because they’re doing proper professional football training ..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Crab Lungs said:

im pretty sure RM done a no look pass in this… and once again, while it’s not overtly technical stuff… they’re starting to look far more engaged (as previous). Maybe because they’re doing proper professional football training ..

Embarrassing pull ups from Charlie, didn’t lock out on his only rep struggled to get the second out, really poor. Needs to get that sorted 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Crab Lungs said:

Tbh I saw alot of players just clowning around in the gym. Can imagine the uproar on here if this was happening under Jones...

In all seriousness though, if they arent engaged in the first few days of pre season, after delivering the most pitiful season in living memory, then they really should find a new occupation.

57 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Scarily the gaffer is the best passer of a football there….

I thought this. I don’t remember him being that good when we played against him, but his passing is crisp. 

Edited by SotonianWill

12 hours ago, Turkish said:

Embarrassing pull ups from Charlie, didn’t lock out on his only rep struggled to get the second out, really poor. Needs to get that sorted 

Man give him a break, judging by the episodes I watched this morning he set the record for the amount of handshakes he had to give to everyone this pre-season so far, surprised his arm is still on.

• Haha 3

On 03/07/2023 at 21:58, goodymatt said:

With Farke set to be named Leeds manager tomorrow, who out the relegated clubs has appointed the best manager do we think? I think it might be us.

Leeds with Farke, clearly. The bloke has 2 championship promotions under his belt. The other 2 are huge risks who've achieved very little in the past. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Dman said:

Leeds with Farke, clearly. The bloke has 2 championship promotions under his belt. The other 2 are huge risks who've achieved very little in the past. 

Promotion experience is a very fair point. Farke does also have 2 relegations (pretty much) on his CV, a weird 6 week spell at Krasnodar and a year at Monchengladbach where he maintained their 10th place from the season before. They had finished top 4 not long ago.

Call me optimistic but I think we are still yet to see Martin’s ceiling with better resources at his disposal. It would have been nice to have past experience of completing this season objective though, that doesn’t appear to be our way.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Scarily the gaffer is the best passer of a football there….

We had Hoddle, Bally & Souness who probably were as well. 

I remember reading that the players used to fire the ball into Lawrie to try & embarrass him when he joined in training. Had he been managing last season, he’d probably have had one of the better touches though. 

7 hours ago, goodymatt said:

Promotion experience is a very fair point. Farke does also have 2 relegations (pretty much) on his CV, a weird 6 week spell at Krasnodar and a year at Monchengladbach where he maintained their 10th place from the season before. They had finished top 4 not long ago.

Call me optimistic but I think we are still yet to see Martin’s ceiling with better resources at his disposal. It would have been nice to have past experience of completing this season objective though, that doesn’t appear to be our way.

He has the experience of promotion within a dressing room, and perhaps even more importantly, of relegation - and the moods, warning signs, and required motivations to optimise the dressing room. As stated before, i think we've got a good manager and will have a very strong season. The simple fact that he isn't Selles or Nathan Jones, and the fact that we're dropping down to be a dominant team will all provide a fresh start and refresh to the entire atmosphere around the club.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 8

8 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

We had Hoddle, Bally & Souness who probably were as well. 

I remember reading that the players used to fire the ball into Lawrie to try & embarrass him when he joined in training. Had he been managing last season, he’d probably have had one of the better touches though. 

...and Strachan

On 03/07/2023 at 21:58, goodymatt said:

With Farke set to be named Leeds manager tomorrow, who out the relegated clubs has appointed the best manager do we think? I think it might be us.

Farke spent his time at Norwich playing put from the back, regardless of outcomes. In the Championship, with decent attacking full backs, and when it was new, it went well. When they went up, teams shut down that space and he...played them in exactly the same way. It was infuriating to watch.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Farke spent his time at Norwich playing put from the back, regardless of outcomes. In the Championship, with decent attacking full backs, and when it was new, it went well. When they went up, teams shut down that space and he...played them in exactly the same way. It was infuriating to watch.

By all accounts Martin is just as stubborn in his philosophy.. He's just not been good enough to get tested in the PL yet, but if he does, it could easily get just as messy. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ribtickler said:

As a man he is a true gent, once held the door open for me at the Harvester in Norwich.

As a manager he is a monster, ask Darren Huckerby.

That's all i will say

Darren huckerby who retired from playing 10 years before Martin's first managerial job and has never coached at a club managed by him? 

Edited by Saint_clark
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Darren Huckerby stopped playing about a decade before Farke took over at Norwich so I am not sure he is an authority on how Farke is as a manager of players.

Looking at Wikipedia let's guess that Huckerby was in the academy coaching staff and then he wasn't, and Farke was part of that decision. But he's never got a coaching job anywhere else since ,so maybe whatever Farke did wasn't so wrong.

I think the main takeout that @Ribtickler wants to get across to us here is that he has met Darren Huckerby.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Ribtickler said:

As a man he is a true gent, once held the door open for me at the Harvester in Norwich.

That's all i will say

I suppose that Harvester does offer a good salad bar but it is not the sort of restaurant where you would expect to find a vegan. 😁

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Darren Huckerby stopped playing about a decade before Farke took over at Norwich so I am not sure he is an authority on how Farke is as a manager of players.

Looking at Wikipedia let's guess that Huckerby was in the academy coaching staff and then he wasn't, and Farke was part of that decision. But he's never got a coaching job anywhere else since ,so maybe whatever Farke did wasn't so wrong.

I think the main takeout that @Ribtickler wants to get across to us here is that he has met Darren Huckerby.

My lad reffed a game at Staplewood when Huckerby and  Murty ran Norwich academy I think u16s.

Huckerby was a complete twat and Murty often told him to be quiet. Good side Norwich won 3-1.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Give it to Ron said:

My lad reffed a game at Staplewood when Huckerby and  Murty ran Norwich academy I think u16s.

Huckerby was a complete twat and Murty often told him to be quiet. Good side Norwich won 3-1.

Always liked Graeme Murty. Wasn't he a part of our coaching set up for a while?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ribtickler said:

That's all i will say

I also remember when he was working as meeter and greeter at Harvester. His dish of the day patter and bread roll work was something to behold. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

His kids went to my school and they were similar. The youngest ended in in prison for assault or drugs or something. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

I think we have a really good egg, We are in for a very good season.

We seem to have a feel good factor around the club, like we’re on the up not down. Even from the clips, you could say it’s been put out to look positive, but then look at the Nathan Jones clips. I think we’ll walk this league and im here for it. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

We seem to have a feel good factor around the club, like we’re on the up not down. Even from the clips, you could say it’s been put out to look positive, but then look at the Nathan Jones clips. I think we’ll walk this league and im here for it. 

The Nathan Jones videos were a car crash, Can't get his horrible voice out of my head. 

It just feels for now from the snippets that The gaffer is someone that will inspire.

Edited by SaintsFan86
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I know it could all be for nothing, but I have to say I'm absolutely loving the clips of him being involved in training. It's beautiful. 

It is.  And his relative youth and great touch and skill on the training track are promising assets.   Perhaps a Scottish version of Mauricio P.

16 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

The Nathan Jones videos were a car crash, Can't get his horrible voice out of my head. 

It just feels for now from the snippets that The gaffer is someone that will inspire.

This really. The Russell Martin clips look positive..because they are. Saints thought the Nathan Jones ones were but in fact I thought I was back at school watching an over-enthusiastic PE teacher. 

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I know it could all be for nothing, but I have to say I'm absolutely loving the clips of him being involved in training. It's beautiful. 

I totally agree. He doesn’t seem to stand on the sidelines barking instructions to the players and his coaches during the drills. 
he seems fully committed into physically joining in. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, austsaint said:

It is.  And his relative youth and great touch and skill on the training track are promising assets.   Perhaps a Scottish version of Mauricio P.

You can just tell that the players are really going to respect him more when he can actually do what he is asking them to do (and by the looks of things be one of the best at doing it!) it's a really great start to changing the mentality of the team. I quite like him and hope he is a success. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

it's a really great start to changing the mentality of the team.

This. He does seem to be the right sort of character to bring a bit of positivity and passion to the place. So far so good. I still have my reservations but there is potential for a really good season if the players buy into his style of play and the squad is managed right.

On 08/07/2023 at 09:35, austsaint said:

Scottish!? 

Have a look at a map and check where Brighton is - somewhere in the middle at the bottom if you're holding the map the right way up ( a clue: the arrow with an 'N' by it is pointing to the top).

3 minutes ago, Victor said:

Scottish!? 

Have a look at a map and check where Brighton is - somewhere in the middle at the bottom if you're holding the map the right way up ( a clue: the arrow with an 'N' by it is pointing to the top).

Presumably he identifies as Scottish given he played for Scotland....

10 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Presumably he identifies as Scottish given he played for Scotland....

Doesn't make him Scottish. My son played Aussie Rules for Ireland (amongst others!); he'd never been anywhere near Ireland.

6 minutes ago, Victor said:

Doesn't make him Scottish. My son played Aussie Rules for Ireland (amongst others!); he'd never been anywhere near Ireland.

In a world where school kids can identify as a fucking cactus, a grown man choosing to identify as Scottish doesn't really cut it anymore in the "things that are weird" stakes.

• Haha 7