Russell Martin

LegalEagle

Thought Martin interview was clear, confident and genuine.

Can't ask for more than that and nice to hear a manager be able to articulate what their tactical ideaa are after the last two.

Came across as being comfortable in a good way, that he trusts himself and will stick to his way which I think is a good thing.

Also a nice bit of honest realism about transfers and the fact we will have players start the season who will end up being sold but that he will take out anyone who isn't committed.

• Like 7

What on earth was Djenepo wearing in that video? Looks like he slept in a four-man tent, and then decided to wear it to work. Pull a cord and it becomes an emergency dinghy. Obviously been shopping in the Lewis Hamilton Catalogue of Ridiculous Attire. Don't let Davis or Calvert-Lewin at Everton see it. They'll want one. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Saint Keef said:

What on earth was Djenepo wearing in that video? Looks like he slept in a four-man tent, and then decided to wear it to work. Pull a cord and it becomes an emergency dinghy. Obviously been shopping in the Lewis Hamilton Catalogue of Ridiculous Attire. Don't let Davis or Calvert-Lewin at Everton see it. They'll want one. 

Hard to believe a young man from Mali has a slightly different culture/dress sense to Keef from Southampton.

• Like 17
  • Haha 15

48 minutes ago, Stripey McStripe Shirt said:

Hard to believe a young man from Mali has a slightly different culture/dress sense to Keef from Southampton.

My sincere apologies. I honestly didn't realise this was traditional Mali attire. No offence intended and respect to Djenepo and his culture..

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Crab Lungs said:

Apologies if already posted.

did Tella or Jwp win the bleep test?  I couldn’t work it out.

Well happy to see Jack Stephens back. Defo an alpha.

That bleep test on its own shows what a good professional JWP is and why he’s managed so many games at the top level. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, bangkoksaint said:

That bleep test on its own shows what a good professional JWP is and why he’s managed so many games at the top level. 

Did i hear that right, he got to level 28 on the bleep test? That's insane if so.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Crab Lungs said:

Apologies if already posted.

did Tella or Jwp win the bleep test?  I couldn’t work it out.

Well happy to see Jack Stephens back. Defo an alpha.

interesting to see tella is up there (almost) with JWP. Does this say something about Burnley/Kompany fitness being much better than ours on average, or is this due to individual training during the summer?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Pretty crazy, think when I did when much fitter the best I did was around 18! 😅

To put that into perspective for a male anything above level 13 is considered excellent. Pass mark to get into the police is 5.4.

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Apparently there are only 23 levels in the formal bleep test?

Yes that's the other thing that confused me, a standard one doesn't go up to 28 and even if it did you'd basically be sprinting for the last last 5-6 levels which is impossible to maintain for that length of time

11 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

I'm starting to think I didn't do 18! 😅 It would have been at least 16 years ago, memory failing. Maybe it was 8!! 😅

I was very impressed. I did a few times and got to level 12.2 when i was the fittest i've ever been but that was many, many years ago. 

• Like 1

There’s no doubt Martin is erudite and plausible. He also sounds decisive and committed. But I remain concerned with his predilection with possession football and playing out from the back. Would prefer him to mix it up a bit at the very least. Dogma can be a weakness. We will know more after half a dozen games I guess. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, skintsaint said:

I'm starting to think I didn't do 18! 😅 It would have been at least 16 years ago, memory failing. Maybe it was 8!! 😅

I heard 18 is the minimum standard for PL but no idea if that is accurate or not...

48 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

There’s no doubt Martin is erudite and plausible. He also sounds decisive and committed. But I remain concerned with his predilection with possession football and playing out from the back. Would prefer him to mix it up a bit at the very least. Dogma can be a weakness. We will know more after half a dozen games I guess. 

What does mix it up equate to? Just lump it long and hope for a knockdown?

By all accounts he credits the work that went on with our pressing style, and seems keen to keep that, along with more ball possession. There's a lot of negativity around here by the idea of keeping the ball which I find a bit odd. Surely keeping the ball is better than running around trying to win it? For sure, there is keep ball for keep ball sake, but he's pretty clear it will be possession football with a purpose - and that's pretty much what wins football matches if that's how it transpires, certainly a bigger chance to win football games playing that way than relying solely on off the ball, or hit and hope.

I thought he came across well, he's genuinely a likable guy and I think people will warm to him quite quickly. He's all about the 'family' and the culture and building a connection again, which I must say has been solely missing for many years at this club.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 13
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Mind you Duncan, Man City are the most predictable side in the Premier and teams can rarely lay a glove on them, I'd take some of that. I just dont want fifty percent  possession to be in our own half.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

What does mix it up equate to? Just lump it long and hope for a knockdown?

By all accounts he credits the work that went on with our pressing style, and seems keen to keep that, along with more ball possession. There's a lot of negativity around here by the idea of keeping the ball which I find a bit odd. Surely keeping the ball is better than running around trying to win it? For sure, there is keep ball for keep ball sake, but he's pretty clear it will be possession football with a purpose - and that's pretty much what wins football matches if that's how it transpires, certainly a bigger chance to win football games playing that way than relying solely on off the ball, or hit and hope.

I thought he came across well, he's genuinely a likable guy and I think people will warm to him quite quickly. He's all about the 'family' and the culture and building a connection again, which I must say has been solely missing for many years at this club.

By mixing it up I mean the occasional long high hoof works (as long as you have a decent forward who has a bit of power). You still see plenty of goals scored via Route 1. Keeping the ball makes sense only if you have an end product or intention. Martin might be a great bloke and all that, he does come across well but I am not convinced we are going to be so taken in by the way he will set us up to play. I sincerely hope I am wrong, I really do because we all want to believe we have a bright future. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

By mixing it up I mean the occasional long high hoof works (as long as you have a decent forward who has a bit of power). You still see plenty of goals scored via Route 1. Keeping the ball makes sense only if you have an end product or intention. Martin might be a great bloke and all that, he does come across well but I am not convinced we are going to be so taken in by the way he will set us up to play. I sincerely hope I am wrong, I really do because we all want to believe we have a bright future. 

If you haven’t done so already I’d recommend watching Russell’s Coaches Voice video on YouTube; where he talks about a win v Cardiff. 

I genuinely don’t think his style is “possession for possession sake” not that I think any coach genuinely intends that to happen, but it is a much trotted out phrase to undermine teams that dominate the ball. I’m hoping the first thing he sorts out is the huge gap we constantly showed between our pivots and the attacking midfielders. 

I’m looking forward to seeing the team develop this season and like all fans want us to be successful. 

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

It was yesterday evening that I watched his interview so I can't recall the exact wording. But I took what Martin said as the playing style being a mix of disciplines. He certainly made it sound pragmatic, rather than the one-dimensional playing style that keeps getting mentioned on here.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

TBF he did come out and say things wouldn't happen overnight, mentioning that Burnley were playing differently at the start of the season to how they ended it.

There's a time and a place for playing it out from the back and hopefully he gets the right mix.  Have to say some of the goals Swansea conceded are horrific and if we defend like that then he'll be crucified.

2 hours ago, notnowcato said:

If you haven’t done so already I’d recommend watching Russell’s Coaches Voice video on YouTube; where he talks about a win v Cardiff. 

I genuinely don’t think his style is “possession for possession sake” not that I think any coach genuinely intends that to happen, but it is a much trotted out phrase to undermine teams that dominate the ball. I’m hoping the first thing he sorts out is the huge gap we constantly showed between our pivots and the attacking midfielders. 

I’m looking forward to seeing the team develop this season and like all fans want us to be successful. 

Spot on. Keeping distances within each line and indeed between different lines as compact as possible is a big thing for RM. There were times last season when our full backs or de facto wide attackers would have to turn back simply because the two pivots were too far adrift of them and hadn’t moved up the pitch leaving them with no options. That absolutely has to change. 

Over the last week or so I have been racking my small brain trying to remember who R.M. reminds me of.

It has just clicked and he looks like a younger version of the English teacher we had at Secondary school

in the late 1950's / early 1960's. His name was Mr Henton and he was very accurate throwing a blackboard

rubber at pupils not paying enough attention. Lets hope R.M. is as strict with these players.

1 hour ago, Saint in Paradise said:

Over the last week or so I have been racking my small brain trying to remember who R.M. reminds me of.

It has just clicked and he looks like a younger version of the English teacher we had at Secondary school

in the late 1950's / early 1960's. His name was Mr Henton and he was very accurate throwing a blackboard

rubber at pupils not paying enough attention. Lets hope R.M. is as strict with these players.

Johnny Henton?

Shirley Warren headmaster during the 70s, snuff addict?

1 hour ago, Saint in Paradise said:

I’m sincerely not trying to say this in a disingenuous way, but he reminds me of David Brent (only younger and in better shape).

Let’s hope he’s a better manager!

FD2643DF-675E-454A-A7B9-322DCBD80121.jpeg

12F9CFB8-2312-4EE7-9DE0-F482F14A9035.jpeg

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

early days but when you compare RMs first training session video to Nathan Jones they seemed worlds apart. RM straight into technical aspects and the drills seemed far more what you'd expect for high level football. 

Like I say early days but Im getting better vibes already with RM. 

very good, hopefully the players will get used to the possession system and their passing under pressure will get even better. At the moment in that 11 a side (?) at the end it looked a bit scrappy like whoever was on the ball was trying to be too clever. That should clean itself up in a bit. 

It also looks much quicker than Jones slow paced sunday league stuff. Additionally many of our players are clearly not as fit based off looking at who dropped off the bleep test quick puffing, hopefully RM will see this and continue to push them harder as it was a weakness of ours. 

Edited by SotonianWill

early days but when you compare RMs first training session video to Nathan Jones they seemed worlds apart. RM straight into technical aspects and the drills seemed far more what you'd expect for high level football. 

I won't believe it until we hear from the body language experts we have on here. 

• Haha 2

You’re viewing 3 minutes of clipped up footage. Forming any opinions, good or bad, Jones or Martin, based on these would be nuts. ‘Drills far more what you’d expect at high level football’ ffs 😂

8 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

You’re viewing 3 minutes of clipped up footage. Forming any opinions, good or bad, Jones or Martin, based on these would be nuts. ‘Drills far more what you’d expect at high level football’ ffs 😂

As soon as Jones kept shooting ''Gooooood'' and then 'Romeo Done'', i think we all formed the exact same opinion pretty sharpish. Didn't need anything longer than a min to know he was an idiot.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

one thing Martin can do better than the previous 2 is get us fitter, watching players blow out of their arse after one run was a joke last season.

Totally agree. After what we had under Poch, it was embarrassing seeing our team being less fit than the opposition.

59 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

one thing Martin can do better than the previous 2 is get us fitter, watching players blow out of their arse after one run was a joke last season.

Was fitness a key feature under him at Swansea ? 

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Totally agree. After what we had under Poch, it was embarrassing seeing our team being less fit than the opposition.

A more considered approach focused on keeping the ball will automatically be better for fitness levels. I don't think we were ever particularly unfit, it is such a demanding style and to only have that in your locker for 38 games in a season was always going to cause burn out.

• Like 1

Just now, S-Clarke said:

A more considered approach focused on keeping the ball will automatically be better for fitness levels. I don't think we were ever particularly unfit, it is such a demanding style and to only have that in your locker for 38 games in a season was always going to cause burn out.

You can't convince me we had the level of fitness last year that we had under Poch. 

• Like 2