Russell Martin

LegalEagle

23 minutes ago, Badger said:

Which suggests RM isn't in control of transfers and Wilcox has a casting vote, or is able to veto it. 

Does it? I think it clearly says we won’t sign a player unless RM agrees to it. Not be handed a load of new signings and be told to get on with it like we have in the past

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Badger said:

Which suggests RM isn't in control of transfers and Wilcox has a casting vote, or is able to veto it. 

Not really. This is how almost every PL/Champ club does transfers.

Wilcox will lead the search with the analysts and scouts then pitch the player to RM. RM will then decide if he is interested. If interested, will have some sort of conversation with the player presenting his vision for the player at the club. After that chat, RM will decide if the player will fit in the dressing room and give Wilcox a final yes/no.

15 hours ago, qwertyell said:

I think he comes across well, seems to have his head on straight. The transfer movement in and out isn't really in his control - seems like it's probably going to be a bit messy as to who stays, who goes, and who comes in right up until the end of the window. Such is the market and the consequences of getting relegated with an enormous squad of overpriced ballast.

Personally, I'm suspicious of "philosophy" managers, who seem more obsessed with the purity of their vision than actually winning football matches. What if the squad we end up with can't - as is the case presently - pass out from the back under pressure? Do we just barrel on regardless, conceding ridiculously self-inflicted goals because the manager knows no other way, and shrug it off as the cost of playing "the right way"? What if "the right way" only gets us to mid-table? Is it still the right way?

Time will tell if Martin is able to compromise, which I suspect he'll have to do at points if he wants to make it to Christmas.

Agree with all of this. I like him, he seems calm, likeable, in control, and intelligent. But i also worry the defensive issues are a deeper issue than just one of philosophy. We're giving so many gilt edge chances away primarily because of our defensive shape when we lose possession - due largely to the fluidity of the attacking players and lack of thought for a cohesive defensive shape. This will get better simply by the fact that the team will get better in possession (due to understanding the vulnerabilities and knowing where each other are etc.) and lose the ball less, but it does leaves us more open to press and fast counter than at any point under ralph etc. The result of this is that the second we lose the ball its very easy for teams to go straight through is with a couple of direct runners and 1-2 passes. Its a real issue. And its to do with the tactical setup and positioning of players. The back 4 is also playing too narrow when we're under pressure / on the defensive, and yet precious few opposition runners in behind are being picked up - see the goetzpe goal and numerous chances vs bompey etc.

Attacking play is great - but the reality is that we cannot be giving away this number of gilt edge chances per game and expect to get promoted. Hopefully Martin isn't so wedded to his philosophy that he can't also address the defensive weaknesses.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Saint86 said:

Agree with all of this. I like him, he seems calm, likeable, in control, and intelligent. But i also worry the defensive issues are a deeper issue than just one of philosophy. We're giving so many gilt edge chances away primarily because of our defensive shape when we lose possession - due largely to the fluidity of the attacking players and lack of thought for a cohesive defensive shape. This will get better simply by the fact that the team will get better in possession (due to understanding the vulnerabilities and knowing where each other are etc.) and lose the ball less But it does leaves us more open to press and fast counter than at any point under ralph etc. The second we lose the ball its very easy for teams to go straight through is with a couple of direct runners and 1-2 passes. Its a real issue. And its to do with the tactical setup and positioning of players. The back 4 is also playing too narrow when we're under pressure / on the defensive, and yet precious few opposition runners in behind are being picked up - see the goetzpe goal and numerous chances vs bompey etc.

Attacking play is great - but the reality is that we cannot be giving away this number of gilt edge chances per game and expect to get promoted.

Spot on matey 

2 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Agree with all of this. I like him, he seems calm, likeable, in control, and intelligent. But i also worry the defensive issues are a deeper issue than just one of philosophy. We're giving so many gilt edge chances away primarily because of our defensive shape when we lose possession - due largely to the fluidity of the attacking players and lack of thought for a cohesive defensive shape. This will get better simply by the fact that the team will get better in possession (due to understanding the vulnerabilities and knowing where each other are etc.) and lose the ball less But it does leaves us more open to press and fast counter than at any point under ralph etc. The second we lose the ball its very easy for teams to go straight through is with a couple of direct runners and 1-2 passes. Its a real issue. And its to do with the tactical setup and positioning of players. The back 4 is also playing too narrow when we're under pressure / on the defensive, and yet precious few opposition runners in behind are being picked up - see the goetzpe goal and numerous chances vs bompey etc.

Attacking play is great - but the reality is that we cannot be giving away this number of gilt edge chances per game and expect to get promoted.

I think it's as simple as saying our defenders are utter trash, GK/CB's - big concerns in those area's, and we'll continue to concede goals no matter what the set up is with the selection of defenders we have.

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I think it's as simple as saying our defenders are utter trash, GK/CB's - big concerns in those area's, and we'll continue to concede goals no matter what the set up is with the selection of defenders we have.

That's true but only to a certain extent.  Yes, the individual players could be better but the system actively invites pressure upon them.  If the solution to that is simply buy better players then good luck with that - we couldn't get better defenders when we were in the premier league so what makes you think we'll do so now?  

This should be a compromise situation - yes, Martin has a philosophy of inviting pressure onto the the defence but will also need to be pragmatic enough to know that won't always be possible and adapt to suit the personnel we do have.

9 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

That's true but only to a certain extent.  Yes, the individual players could be better but the system actively invites pressure upon them.  If the solution to that is simply buy better players then good luck with that - we couldn't get better defenders when we were in the premier league so what makes you think we'll do so now?  

This should be a compromise situation - yes, Martin has a philosophy of inviting pressure onto the the defence but will also need to be pragmatic enough to know that won't always be possible and adapt to suit the personnel we do have.

To be honest I look at our current CB's, their profiles etc, the only one who could potentially deal with this sort of football is ABK due to his physical attributes. The others are for the bin if we're going to try and play this way, it will expose the likes of Bednarek, Stephens and co horribly. (it doesn't take much to expose them anyway tbf)

To me it seems as if Martin is 'all in', there's no half-way house with his style - so in that case, we need to ensure we ship out Lyanco, DCC, ABK, Salisu etc and buy 2 or 3 new CB's who fit what we're trying to do (capable ball playing CB's would be a really good start). It's not beyond the possible for us to sign 3 new CB's 'if' the ones we have on the books do leave, as expected.

I just hope we don't miss out on someone like Ronnie Edwards whilst we wait to get rid of the trash, he is absolutely perfect for what we're trying to do.

Just now, S-Clarke said:

To be honest I look at our current CB's, their profiles etc, the only one who could potentially deal with this sort of football is ABK due to his physical attributes. The others are for the bin if we're going to try and play this way, it will expose the likes of Bednarek, Stephens and co horribly. (it doesn't take much to expose them anyway tbf)

To me it seems as if Martin is 'all in', there's no half-way house with his style - so in that case, we need to ensure we ship out Lyanco, DCC, ABK, Salisu etc and buy 2 or 3 new CB's who fit what we're trying to do (capable ball playing CB's would be a really good start). It's not beyond the possible for us to sign 3 new CB's 'if' the ones we have on the books do leave, as expected.

I just hope we don't miss out on someone like Ronnie Edwards whilst we wait to get rid of the trash, he is absolutely perfect for what we're trying to do.

Weren't you championing DCC before we signed him?  Seem to recall there was a big clamour for us to get him for a season or so before he actually signed and TBH he's average.  I'm sure whoever we bring in (maybe Ronnie Edwards) will be hailed as the great solution and then when it turns out he isn't the new Beckenbauer you'll be calling for us to shift him on and buy better.  Again.

Your solution to just buy better players is unrealistic - we're not going to get massive upgrades on the players we're trying to shift and we'll be lucky to shift all of them anyway.  At some point you'll need to realise that a good manager will work with what he's got and adapt accordingly.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, revolution saint said:

Weren't you championing DCC before we signed him?  Seem to recall there was a big clamour for us to get him for a season or so before he actually signed and TBH he's average.  I'm sure whoever we bring in (maybe Ronnie Edwards) will be hailed as the great solution and then when it turns out he isn't the new Beckenbauer you'll be calling for us to shift him on and buy better.  Again.

Your solution to just buy better players is unrealistic - we're not going to get massive upgrades on the players we're trying to shift and we'll be lucky to shift all of them anyway.  At some point you'll need to realise that a good manager will work with what he's got and adapt accordingly.  

It’s not about buying “better” players, it’s buying players who better fit the way we want to play.

Bednarek and Stephens cannot play on the front foot as defenders and are not comfortable with the ball. If we can get defenders in who can do that, then it will clearly make us a better team all round and help the way RM wants to play.

The only time Bednarek and Stephens ever look ok is in a deep back line, where they have lots of help from the rest of the team in soaking up pressure. Why would RM adapt his style to a negative set up to suit two sub standard centre backs? He won’t (and neither should he).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

It’s not about buying “better” players, it’s buying players who better fit the way we want to play.

Bednarek and Stephens cannot play on the front foot as defenders and are not comfortable with the ball. If we can get defenders in who can do that, then it will clearly make us a better team all round and help the way RM wants to play.

The only time Bednarek and Stephens ever look ok is in a deep back line, where they have lots of help from the rest of the team in soaking up pressure. Why would RM adapt his style to a negative set up to suit two sub standard centre backs? He won’t (and neither should he).

What is this play on the front foot?  

2 hours ago, revolution saint said:

I thought he'd be decent, he had pedigree - I don't think he's played enough to be totally conclusive on him, but from the little we've seen I don't think he's suited to a ball playing role, doesn't seem to be able to recover pace wise either.

As Erwin said, it's not necessarily about buying better players than we have, I don't think that should be the expectation at all - but it's about having players who are suited to the specific style of play we're trying to deploy in the club. Over the last probably 3 years, our style has been very, very confused - caught between two, mastering neither. The squad is a miss-match of players suited to different styles.

We're not going to sign players more established or better than Salisu for example, but I'd expect us to find someone much more suited to what we're trying to do without breaking the bank. Of the current lot who are probably staying, I think Stephens is suited to a ball playing role - would be good to get him a similar style of player next to him though (I'll keep mentioning Ronnie Edwards as he is great)

• Like 1

Not sure if its already been mentioned, but some interesting comments at the bottom of this article. 

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/23681356.southamptons-martin-given-verdict-stuart-armstrong/

“Like so many of the players, their mindset has had to change in a very big way because they had so much disappointment last season and a lot of them felt very strongly about coming back and where their future may lie.

"I think quite a few have changed their mind or are open to changing their mind, and I hope Stu is one of them."

Wonder who has changed their mind or are open to changing their mind? You would hope that its Lavia, Alcaraz, JWP, ABK etc but its more likely to be Djenepo, Lyanco, McCarthy etc

Just now, Marsdinho said:

Not sure if its already been mentioned, but some interesting comments at the bottom of this article. 

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/23681356.southamptons-martin-given-verdict-stuart-armstrong/

“Like so many of the players, their mindset has had to change in a very big way because they had so much disappointment last season and a lot of them felt very strongly about coming back and where their future may lie.

"I think quite a few have changed their mind or are open to changing their mind, and I hope Stu is one of them."

Wonder who has changed their mind or are open to changing their mind? You would hope that its Lavia, Alcaraz, JWP, ABK etc but its more likely to be Djenepo, Lyanco, McCarthy etc

Probably Charly, Stephens, Bednarek maybe.  (and sadly probably Moussa and Aribo too).

Lavia will probably be done and dusted by the weekend. JWP will stay if he has to, but I can see a fee being reached with WHU in the end. ABK is clearly hankering for a move massively, we just need someone to pay our valuation.

8 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I thought he'd be decent, he had pedigree - I don't think he's played enough to be totally conclusive on him, but from the little we've seen I don't think he's suited to a ball playing role, doesn't seem to be able to recover pace wise either.

As Erwin said, it's not necessarily about buying better players than we have, I don't think that should be the expectation at all - but it's about having players who are suited to the specific style of play we're trying to deploy in the club. Over the last probably 3 years, our style has been very, very confused - caught between two, mastering neither. The squad is a miss-match of players suited to different styles.

We're not going to sign players more established or better than Salisu for example, but I'd expect us to find someone much more suited to what we're trying to do without breaking the bank. Of the current lot who are probably staying, I think Stephens is suited to a ball playing role - would be good to get him a similar style of player next to him though (I'll keep mentioning Ronnie Edwards as he is great)

Oh come on, a post or two ago you included Stephens and DCC in the "utter trash" group and now one is good enough and the other you haven't seen enough to be totally conclusive on.  You're all over the place.

You're being naïve if you think getting different players in is going to change a fundamental thing about this system - and that's that the defence will be exposed and it will give up chances.  The personnel won't change that massively although it may help when getting the ball into midfield.  I'm sure that Martin knows that and it's a trade off he thinks is worth it, or he'll be pragmatic and adjust it.  

Either way I'm prepared that the defence is going to look dodgy at times.

4 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Yeah ok, management bollocks then. Probably why Nathan Jones was so fond of the phrase

Not sure what you’re struggling with tbh, but never mind. I’ll assume you are one of the “get it forward” merchants.

14 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Not sure what you’re struggling with tbh, but never mind. I’ll assume you are one of the “get it forward” merchants.

Is it now wrong to 'get it forward'? Isn't that the idea of the game?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

I'm actually not but unlike you I'm not blind to the limitations of the system we're using.  You seem to think that anything bad that happens will be down to the individual qualities of the players rather than the fact that we'll be inviting pressure.  Whilst that may happen at times, the system encourages it.  It does it for a reason and I understand that reason but all the same - it's a risky strategy and will result in conceding goals regardless of the quality of the players.

Here's a good example of that with Swansea playing West Brom last season.  Watch the first 40 seconds.  Ryan Manning gets caught in possession and plays an awful pass (he did the same against Bournemouth).  That's not because of the quality of Ryan Manning - it's because he's playing how he's been told to.  Russell Martin understands this, he's warned us mistakes will be made - it's about time you listened to him

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

I'm actually not but unlike you I'm not blind to the limitations of the system we're using.  You seem to think that anything bad that happens will be down to the individual qualities of the players rather than the fact that we'll be inviting pressure.  Whilst that may happen at times, the system encourages it.  It does it for a reason and I understand that reason but all the same - it's a risky strategy and will result in conceding goals regardless of the quality of the players.

Here's a good example of that with Swansea playing West Brom last season.  Watch the first 40 seconds.  Ryan Manning gets caught in possession and plays an awful pass (he did the same against Bournemouth).  That's not because of the quality of Ryan Manning - it's because he's playing how he's been told to.  Russell Martin understands this, he's warned us mistakes will be made - it's about time you listened to him

Nope, not said that once. And thank you, I have listened to RM and am aware mistakes are going to be made. It’s a risk v reward style whereby we’ll score more and no doubt concede more, but in RM’s view gives us a better chance of winning a decent number of games. Will it work, who knows. Will it be more entertaining, seems that way and after the last few years I will take some entertainment.

The point made originally, which seems to have been lost, is that having CB’s who are comfortable with the ball at the back will lead to less mistakes. Playing Bednarek, Lyanco, Stephens (include McCarthy in that too) will more than likely lead to more mistakes because they aren’t comfortable playing at the back. 

• Like 2

I'm hoping for the best this season. I like the more attacking look we have but the passing around our 18 yard box is suicide with this team.

In the matches that matter, most are won and lost on just a few crucial moments. Giving away cheap goals can be enough to destroy any momentum, confidence etc and completely change games. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CSA96 said:

Was on talkSPORT this morning to preview the season starting.

I’ve thought this for ages, it’s absolutely crazy how the transfer window goes on for weeks after the season kicks off. Just creates total uncertainty for clubs. I’ve got no problem with the loan window staying open longer but transfers should be all done by the start of the season imo.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, The Kraken said:

I’ve thought this for ages, it’s absolutely crazy how the transfer window goes on for weeks after the season kicks off. Just creates total uncertainty for clubs. I’ve got no problem with the loan window staying open longer but transfers should be all done by the start of the season imo.

They tried to do it one season but only the PL did it and it was a disaster. Seems all the other countries were not interested and perhaps pulling one over the PL was worth more to them. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Doctoroncall said:

They tried to do it one season but only the PL did it and it was a disaster. Seems all the other countries were not interested and perhaps pulling one over the PL was worth more to them. 

there is that and our season starts earlier than some of the others...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Doctoroncall said:

If I recall correctly it was two seasons and we were one of the driving forces behind it due to Van Dijk downing tools at the start of the season after Liverpool's tapping up, as well as Swansea having similar issues with Sigurdsson/Everton.

Issue was then lack of alignment with other leagues/countries meaning players could still go but couldn't be replaced.

1 hour ago, Doctoroncall said:

I still hanker for the days when there were no transfer windows and just a single transfer deadline day in March

• Like 2

Met him earlier outside Pitcher and Piano down in Ocean Village. Didn't ask for a picture or anything, because I'm not weird. Did ask if he was Russell Martin, though, just to double check. Shook his hand and he asked whether I was excited for the new season. Seemed like a good bloke in our little five second interaction. Unfortunately, didn't ask any transfer questions.

• Like 3

I had dinner with my best mate last weekend, sadly a relatively rare event now as we live on opposite sides of the country. 
He’s based in Swansea, and his son has been in the same class at school as Russell’s son; in fact they are friends.

Although he’s never discussed football with Russell they have chatted outside school gates, at parents evenings etc. It would seem that the Russell we see in interviews is the same person he is in real life - and he is generally speaking ‘a good egg’

No doubt I’ll be in trouble with his son next time we meet as he is a Swan’s fan; so not only cross that we’ve stolen their manager and left back, but also responsible for stealing his friend from school!  

• Like 3

A note on the new manager - I completely back him (I back every manager until they prove to be rubbish) but still I was a bit wary of his appointment having not seen MK Dons play and very little of Swansea over the last two seasons but my God does he have us playing some neat football after only 5ish weeks of implementation. The passing to see the game out was the icing on the cake, Wednesday (and I know they have an ageing squad but still) couldn't get the ball off of us. We've already broken a record after just one game too. Yes we need more cutting edge but this is not the finished squad, there are still going to be ins and outs, but overall I thought it was a very promising first game.

At the end of the day it's a win, on the opening day of the season, in a banana skin fixture against a promoted side on a high, that was live on Sky with the world watching. You can't ask for much more than that.

• Like 12

Yes, overall a very pleasing start. Our mental strength shows some hangover from last season, I’m confident that Russell and his team can improve that in the coming games. We dominated the first half so much that a 1-0 lead wasn’t really sufficient, we created the chances and at least once I thought a more natural predator of a striker would have been in the right place and taken advantage

We’re a young team with plenty of learning points in the road ahead but a great result to start with and the expectation that performances will continue to improve. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, saintwbu said:

It’s nice to have a likeable manager who says all the right things. Last night was a great start for him, and i’m really impressed by how clear the identity of his team is already. 

100% I said to my mates, he really feels like someone you can get behind from the start.

The fact Tella celebrated with him after the first goal 10 minutes into the season says allot about how the players view him. 💪

• Like 2

Main difference I could see in this first competitive outing was that he picked a team containing committed players and they did all in their power to play to his instructions. A definition of playing FOR the manager. So he seems to have done some weeding and galvanised the dressing room in a matter of weeks - highly encouraging. Thought I would mention the only clear ‘Martin’ signing we’ve had so far, Ryan Manning. Watched this lad run and run last night, tidy feet, play for the shirt, and did not give the ball away. Hopefully more like him to come in coming weeks, seems so long since we’ve had consistent identity, character and commitment in a Saints side.

• Like 1

The big question has always been about whether you can take the MK Dons/Swansea approach which gets you to solid mid table, and give it to better players - does this get you top 2?

Early signs are encouraging but bigger tests to come - are Leicester or Leeds or Middlesbrough going to let us have that much possession, and can we actually create some actual goal scoring opportunities.

But fucking great last night, first game of a long season, loved it.

• Like 2

Comes across as a decent intelligent guy, very sure of himself and committed to his football beliefs. I don’t think anyone could accuse him of being a patsy or being told which system or players to play.

I thought sky went a bit overboard on the “transformation” of our playing style, it’s not like we’ve gone from knocking long balls or playing like Brentford to a possession game. We’ve pretty much tried to keep the ball and pass it to death most of the past 3 or 4 years, we just weren’t very good at it and we were playing against far far superior opposition than Sheff Weds. 

Personally, I think he’ll end up dividing opinion, especially if we start losing games in which we have 70% of possession but only 2 shots on target. It will be interesting to see how we go about chasing games under this style, because it’s going to get frustrating if we’re still mincing around with it. 

That football played with zip and a bit of sharp passing is great, but even City & Arsenal sometimes play it too slow and it gets fucking tedious and extremely frustrating. 

• Like 1

Really like him, he’s got a plan and he’s implementing it. He speaks incredibly well and you feel completely on board with what he’s trying to do. The change in a month or so has been remarkable, compare it with Nathan Jones who made us considerably worse after 5 weeks of training, 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

Really like him, he’s got a plan and he’s implementing it. He speaks incredibly well and you feel completely on board with what he’s trying to do. The change in a month or so has been remarkable, compare it with Nathan Jones who made us considerably worse after 5 weeks of training, 

A manager with a plan is a refreshing change after a burnt out Ralph, Jesus Jones and Unless Reuben. 

hopefully the fans will get behind him when things don’t go according to plan as we need some stability and to rebuild after 2- 3 shite years 

I know the club are charging us for all sorts of things but if they were to do a behind the scenes doco on this season etc i would definitely pay to watch it at the end of the year.

Would be interesting to see how martin coaches, how players implement it etc, very impressed so far.

I really like this guy and the type of manager we needed for our club. If only we got the right appointment after Ralph. 

He’s charismatic, speaks well, nice accent, got a good presence about him, dresses well, has a good set of hair, skin, and when he speaks you listen. I loved the tongue in cheek at the end when he went over to our supporters and gave it the fist pump. Hopefully he settles here and will be part of a longer term journey. Yes it’s only been 1 game but  hopefully there’s some exciting times ahead. Up the Saints!

• Like 1

When he was announced sceptical, but a video binge showed that there was something about Martin in the same way it set immediate alarm bells ringing with Jones. Decent experienced playing career, a no nonsense, loyal type, happy to be the face of the club at Norwich and proud to play for Scotland.  Lots initially made about his new ageism and ethics (the bhuddist thing) but this is underwritten by determination and some steel - if things go awry he will take responsibility but not take any shit.  There is a good down to earth energy about Martin that you get with the best man managers in the workplace, it’s all about consistency and judgement and I see that in him. Looking forward to seeing the club develop and having space to do this outside the zoo of the premier league. 

• Like 2

Still makes me angry how we ended up with Nathan fkn Jones. The type of fella to wear an Apple Watch with a 3 piece suit and order a pint of Carling when out with the directors. You know big Russ will order the finest whiskey on the rocks and will be supporting a Rolex Daytona.