Russell Martin

LegalEagle

47 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Official: Russell Martin’s coaching staff has been confirmed, with Matt Gill joining as assistant manager, Dean Thornton as goalkeeper coach, Rhys Owen as sports scientist & Ben Parker as an analyst #saintsfc

I wonder if Mark Warburton is still joining the coaching staff too as someone said on here the other day? 

39 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Even if that were true which it isn't, we shouldn't have too much trouble recruiting more than enough quality for the division we are now in. Our main issue last season was a lack of experience in the squad and a confused style of play along with some players who didn't suit how we wanted to play. We actually had quite a lot of quality individuals (hence why so many are in demand) we just had little squad depth and we couldn't fashion the players we did haveinto a successful team. With Martin we should have a recognised style of play from the start and hopefully enough financial resources to purchase players who suit that style. It should be much more cohesive at the very least even if it ultimately isn't successful. 

I actually agree with most of that but just think it's  unrealistic to build a team in just over a month  with all the comings and goings there are likely to be , and we need to be picking up sufficient points so we are not panicking about relegation when it all hopefully gells later in the season.

1 hour ago, Give it to Ron said:

Official: Russell Martin’s coaching staff has been confirmed, with Matt Gill joining as assistant manager, Dean Thornton as goalkeeper coach, Rhys Owen as sports scientist & Ben Parker as an analyst #saintsfc

Top forensic analyst is Ben, in the game his nickname is Nosey Parker! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, suewhistle said:

Don't be silly. He'd never heard of some of the competitions the trophies were for and had to spend half an hour googling..

I'd forgotten how depressing this lace gets during the close season.. Not as bad as the end of last season, but enough to remind me of the old stock market adage: sell in May and go away. Think I'll give this place a miss for a few weeks to allow things to happen in their own time..

oh please dont Sue, Your contribution to this place is amazing. Dont go, please stay, it wont be the same without you.

• Haha 3

56 minutes ago, Tom & Gerry said:

I actually agree with most of that but just think it's  unrealistic to build a team in just over a month  with all the comings and goings there are likely to be , and we need to be picking up sufficient points so we are not panicking about relegation when it all hopefully gells later in the season.

I'm happy to lay a significant bet that we won't be getting relegated. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davefizzy14 said:

I wonder if Mark Warburton is still joining the coaching staff too as someone said on here the other day? 

Not sure where he’d fit in. 

Also reading up about Warburton he left Brentford and there seemed to be a bit of difference of opinion about the data driven approach. 

But nothing would surprise me with our recruitment. 

1 hour ago, Tom & Gerry said:

We are not going to be relegated.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Looking dapper.Long sleeve shirt with sleeves rolled up just how Rasmus likes it. Love the handbag too

all that effort to look hipster and the scruffy bugger couldn't even be arsed to iron his shirt. 5/10.

1 minute ago, Dman said:

all that effort to look hipster and the scruffy bugger couldn't even be arsed to iron his shirt. 5/10.

Looks linen to me, the seat belt in his (electric) car would have creased it the moment he got in it. 

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Looks linen to me, the seat belt in his (electric) car would have creased it the moment he got in it. 

Fool. Clearly Russ’s lack of an ironed shirt is because he used up the only electricity he could muster from his solar panel powered home into charging his Tesla last night. 

Edited by SotonianWill

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Looking dapper.Long sleeve shirt with sleeves rolled up just how Rasmus likes it. Love the handbag too

"Get the guitar Adam...."

So what becomes of you my club

Now Russel Martin starts his job

The handbags and the gladrags

That he wore to Staplewood on his first day.

3 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

Fool. Clearly Russ’s lack of an ironed shirt is because he used up the only electricity he could muster from his solar panel powered home into charging his Tesla last night. 

Let's hope he can provide the squad with some renewable energy, hey..hey...HEYYY! 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Doesn't really say anything of note in the interview. The only really bit of interest was it sounded like he might expect some trouble from a few wantaway players. 

Nothing ground-breaking, no, but I thought he came across well - clearly a man who cares about making a connection with supporters and the latter being proud of the team and excited about turning up on a Saturday to see us play. After the shit-show of the last 3 years or so, I'm not sure we can ask much more than that. I have to say, I like the guy - if he makes me feel connected to the team and the club again after what we've all been through, I will be a happy Saint.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, InvictaSaint said:

Nothing ground-breaking, no, but I thought he came across well - clearly a man who cares about making a connection with supporters and the latter being proud of the team and excited about turning up on a Saturday to see us play. After the shit-show of the last 3 years or so, I'm not sure we can ask much more than that. I have to say, I like the guy - if he makes me feel connected to the team and the club again after what we've all been through, I will be a happy Saint.

I wasn't expressing any disappointment- I didn't expect to hear much of note. I suppose the main positive is he wasn't embarrassing or really cringe. I hope he will be similarly engaging in an unscripted interview. We shall see. 

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Doesn't really say anything of note in the interview. The only really bit of interest was it sounded like he might expect some trouble from a few wantaway players. 

That’s spirit pick the only ( minor ) negative comment in a decent interview

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, InvictaSaint said:

My thoughts. He came across well. Articulate, calm, understands the needs of the fanbase, etc. Decent first interview imo. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, egg said:

My thoughts. He came across well. Articulate, calm, understands the needs of the fanbase, etc. Decent first interview imo. 

I think now would be the time to remind everyone that Ruben sounded smart, sensible, in control and articulate during his first interview as well (although that may have been because of the backdrop of Nathan the clown).

• Like 4