Russell Martin

LegalEagle

Good to get it sorted, good that Wilcox was the driver behind it.

Interesting to note the section in the announcement basically asking fans to give him a chance - think that is fair enough.

The guy has been in management nearly 4 years and is yet to be sacked so he must be doing something right!

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

Blimey. What is it about you and holidays? Not only do you repeatedly tell people what they can and cannot do on holiday but now you seem to know the holiday dates of all the staff at SMS.  😁😁

We had 63 days between seasons to get our new manager bedded in, sell a huge number of players who wanted away (or we wanted away) and then re build a team. We seem to have spent over a third of this time doing fuck all. Expect some rushed, hurried (and dare I say poor)  decisions towards the end of August.

He's here now.  I'm sure he will put something in place to make sure we romp the league in the next couple of days before the players come back from holiday.

I imagine he'll have the transfers sorted by Sunday afternoon and will get cracking on the tactics.

"I think I know what's going on here. A few years ago the club ordered management clothing for Koeman, but when the order was placed the lady in the office got keyboard trigger happy. She ordered RK, RL, RM, RN, RO, RP, RQ, RR and RS. They've used all the RK for Koeman, they re-jigged the P to H for Ralph, Reuben had his and now Russel Martin. So all they'll have left come November for the next boss is RL, RN, RO, RQ and RR."

- My favourite comment from social media so far. If the poster is on here, well done, Sir!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Distinctly underwhelming all round, even after we knew this was a long time coming.

IMG_2113.jpeg

IMG_2112.jpeg

Was this put out by the club? Fucking hell 😂 I'm all for giving him a chance and hope he does well but those stats are not helpful. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Huffton said:

Glad its finally confirmed, but still massively underwhelmed. Just another Ankersen yes man, hope I'm proved wrong

Jesus Rasmus was never officially in charge of recruitment. His job was overseeing and building the Sports Republic roster.

some fans are so thick. It’s too complicated for them so they need a scapegoat.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, manji said:

Jesus Rasmus was never officially in charge of recruitment. His job was overseeing and building the Sports Republic roster.

Scapegoat? We got relegated, he's in charge of 'building' the roser so yes it is 100% his fault.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, manji said:

We got relegated mate. On his watch

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Good to get it sorted, good that Wilcox was the driver behind it.

Interesting to note the section in the announcement basically asking fans to give him a chance - think that is fair enough.

The guy has been in management nearly 4 years and is yet to be sacked so he must be doing something right!

I agree. Let's get the first five defeats in August under our belts before we start the 'Martin out' comments.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, manji said:

Give it a rest you melt. Are you Rasmus’ burner account or something? 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, manji said:

Well he has definitely unofficially been in charge of recruitment. Nathan F**king Jones was 100% Rasmus W. Ankersen's appointment.

He's trying to keep a low profile after that (and many more) clusterf**ks. I wouldn't be surprised if he's using a plausible deniability tactic in this hire.

And I missed the Saints official announcment that Wilcox (who officially joined Saints a few days ago?) was the driving force in Martin's appointment. Yes he released a positive statement about him, but he's hardly going to say that Martin's shit, and we could've done a lot better, is he?

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, manji said:

Sport Republic have been in charge for a total of two transfer windows at Saints and Rasmus was in charge of recruitment for half of them.

We got relegated entirely under his watch and you've been describing this as "the greatest era in our history" as we start life in the second tier. You also said a load of old rubbish about how much SR have invested, over estimating by several hundred million. Last summer you said money was no object. You said the Nathan Jones stories were made up by journalists and agents. You said the Russell Martin stories were made up by journalists and agents.

You're in one hell of a glass house calling other people thick.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 7

Well I'm glad they've finally confirmed it and it's a very brave choice to make. We all knew it was going to happen and honestly, I'm not a fan. It was first leaked in the media about a month ago but you never know how reliable they are but they were spot on here. I just wish it hadn't been leaked so that us, as fans, could have a more organic reaction because let's be honest, it's been one of the worst kept secrets ever.

I'm willing to give this one a chance though but I'm not optimistic.

Really can't believe they've brought back Cindy Beale...

54 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Distinctly underwhelming all round, even after we knew this was a long time coming.

IMG_2113.jpeg

IMG_2112.jpeg

Did the club actually post that somewhere? Are those numbers meant to excite the fans? I’ll get behind the guy of course I will but fuck me does it look another underwhelming appointment.

53 minutes ago, manji said:

yeah concur - after slippery joe left for chelsea we had no person to lead the winter recuitment so he was the interim.

Look at the summer recruitment - rasmus name wasnt linked to any of them.

• Like 1

From SSN

Southampton chairman Henrik Kraft added: "We are extremely excited to welcome Russell to Southampton. Russell was the stand-out candidate throughout our recruitment process and we are confident 'his strong track record', alongside the experienced leadership of our new director of football Jason Wilcox will deliver great results."

Sorry, what 'strong track record' is this??

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

https://www.swanstrust.co.uk/news/trust-statement-russell-martin/

This is an interesting read and helps to put into context some of the numbers during his time at Swansea.

I am pretty sure when he joined Saints that Poch would have lost more games than he had won at Espanyol - sometimes its more nuanced than that.

Clearly there is a feeling that with more money and better players he will be able to do better at Saints than he did at Swansea - hence why he has chosen to leave them and join us - we have more resources to offer.

Its pretty clear from the pieces we have all read that the attraction is him being able to coach and clearly implement a particular style of play, one which Wilcox is well versed in.

• Like 3