Russell Martin

LegalEagle

8 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

To be fair, the club have played a blinder on this one.

Underwhelming, uninspired, meh manager appointment a month ago has turned into many fans hankering for his arrival as the new Messiah.

Credit where it's due!

I don't think anyone is hankering for his arrival as the new Messiah, just a bit bemused and annoyed at it dragging on for so long. I don't particularly want him but if he is going to be the new manager then I would have wanted him in place by now so he can get stuck right in as early as possible. And if there was something delaying it to this extent I would have rather we moved on to another (probably better) target.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

I don't think anyone is hankering for his arrival as the new Messiah, just a bit bemused and annoyed at it dragging on for so long. I don't particularly want him but if he is going to be the new manager then I would have wanted him in place by now so he can get stuck right in as early as possible. And if there was something delaying it to this extent I would have rather we moved on to another (probably better) target.

Stuck in to what since everyone is still on holiday?

Only so many pencils that need to be sharpened....

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Every morning the entire first team squad turn up at Staplewood, get changed and ready.

They then stand around hands on hips looking at each other. Waiting for someone to tell them what to do.

Around lunchtime they drift off, back to their Land Rover Discoverys and off home.

Every single day they forget how to play football just that little bit more.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

20 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Stuck into ensuring that we improve on what was our worst ever season in our 138 year history. That might take a little more than just turning up the day the players pitch up. There is a helluva lot of work needs doing behind the scenes. Yes it might be going on in the background but with this lot I’m not sure and let’s face it there’s been bugger all communication to that effect. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Stuck into ensuring that we improve on what was our worst ever season in our 138 year history. That might take a little more than just turning up the day the players pitch up. There is a helluva lot of work needs doing behind the scenes. Yes it might be going on in the background but with this lot I’m not sure and let’s face it there’s been bugger all communication to that effect. 

Well they can’t can they as not officially employed yet but does anyone really believe they are not preparing?

• Like 1

The excitement for this appointment, or quite frankly any appointment fell off a cliff ages ago.

They can take another month as far as I care.

It’s an underwhelming appointment after Jones and Selles. Everyone knows it. But equally everyone now is just like “fuck it, get on with it” that people have forgotten how underwhelming an appointment it is.

• Like 12

33 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Well they can’t can they as not officially employed yet but does anyone really believe they are not preparing?

You would obviously like to think so and it is allowed to tell the fans if they are. But all I hear is the sound of silence. Trouble is Ron, I just don’t trust them at the present after that shit show season. I had high hopes I really did. They talked the talk, Brentford etc but, well, you know as well as I how bad it was last year. I know patience is a virtue but the fans have every right to be twitchy, especially as there are doubts about Martin’s ability. 

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Perhaps ..?    maybe Russell Martin is waiting until his Swans contract goes out on the 30th .... 

Swansea's intransigence may cost them dearly  " at the end of the day " .. month.. or even end of the season.

They also have to find ...a new manager, and new names to replace those experienced players they have lost. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

You would obviously like to think so and it is allowed to tell the fans if they are. But all I hear is the sound of silence. Trouble is Ron, I just don’t trust them at the present after that shit show season. I had high hopes I really did. They talked the talk, Brentford etc but, well, you know as well as I how bad it was last year. I know patience is a virtue but the fans have every right to be twitchy, especially as there are doubts about Martin’s ability. 

It's funny as what I've heard through a contact we we're gung ho with the Jones deal and basically paid up his Luton contract to get it done. This time we don't seem to be in a rush and negotiating on how much to pay. 

• Sad 1

He will be watching videos of all our first and u21 games etc repeatedly, probably training videos, player profiles etc, and the same for potential signings, talking to Wilcox etc. In fact, probably everything he would be doing if announced a month ago. 

Not much more he would do before players return. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, West end Saints said:

He will be watching videos of all our first and u21 games etc repeatedly, probably training videos, player profiles etc, and the same for potential signings, talking to Wilcox etc. In fact, probably everything he would be doing if announced a month ago. 

Not much more he would do before players return. 

Maybe he’s recovering from depression then

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Blimey. What is it about you and holidays? Not only do you repeatedly tell people what they can and cannot do on holiday but now you seem to know the holiday dates of all the staff at SMS.  😁😁

We had 63 days between seasons to get our new manager bedded in, sell a huge number of players who wanted away (or we wanted away) and then re build a team. We seem to have spent over a third of this time doing fuck all. Expect some rushed, hurried (and dare I say poor)  decisions towards the end of August.

• Like 1

We need to give him a chance. There's an awful lot to sort out, mainly due to the incompetence of the club over the last five years, and a lot about terrible coaching (why else would decent players suddenly become very average and listless?). It's going to take a big overhaul, and that won't happen in the first game. Russell should be given time, even if you think it's an underwhelming appointment (a football chat site's whelm being overrated).

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Every morning the entire first team squad turn up at Staplewood, get changed and ready.

They then stand around hands on hips looking at each other. Waiting for someone to tell them what to do.

Around lunchtime they drift off, back to their Land Rover Discoverys and off home.

they have spent a whole season doing this so this will not shock them,they need a bl**dy good kick up the ar*e,hopefully they will get this from the incoming manager

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

I get that totally and feel same but I am trying to be optimistic that no-one could repeat last seasons clusterfuck……I didn’t really say that did I?

What really worries me is we need a fast start and clubs won’t be jumping to sign our lot Lavia a side. I can see a lot of loans that don’t help at all as we need the money to replace the terrible squad we have even though relegated . 
Plus vast drop in what we expect to get.

25 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

Blimey. What is it about you and holidays? Not only do you repeatedly tell people what they can and cannot do on holiday but now you seem to know the holiday dates of all the staff at SMS.  😁😁

We had 63 days between seasons to get our new manager bedded in, sell a huge number of players who wanted away (or we wanted away) and then re build a team. We seem to have spent over a third of this time doing fuck all. Expect some rushed, hurried (and dare I say poor)  decisions towards the end of August.

That’s just blatantly not true though. We’ll have been doing an awful lot behind the scenes, you just haven’t heard about it from @bigboydaveinnitbruv5826 on Twitter.

That imagery is genuinely touching. This morning I’ve lit a candle (a big one) in the hope that Sport Republic see the psychological collateral damage that their relentless business ineptitude is causing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JRM said:

It's funny as what I've heard through a contact we we're gung ho with the Jones deal and basically paid up his Luton contract to get it done. This time we don't seem to be in a rush and negotiating on how much to pay. 

Because we're not in the middle of the season now?

• Like 2

Season 4 Success GIF by The Office

2 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Not really a good look to be telling the world Martin has started working for us when he's still under contract to Swansea

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Not really a good look to be telling the world Martin has started working for us when he's still under contract to Swansea

I was looking at hearing how the new Mesiah (Wilcox) is faring now he has presumably got his feet under his desk at Staplewood. Maybe a photo of him talking to the campus chefs? An article about the day in the life of a security guard? I think it’s called filling a vacuum or engaging with the fan base as they ponder renewing their STs. We March on. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

I was looking at hearing how the new Mesiah (Wilcox) is faring now he has presumably got his feet under his desk at Staplewood. Maybe a photo of him talking to the campus chefs? An article about the day in the life of a security guard? I think it’s called filling a vacuum or engaging with the fan base as they ponder renewing their STs. We March on. 

He hasn't started yet either, 1st July is when he gets his feet under the desk.

3 hours ago, CB Fry said:

You see, that was completely believable till you got to the bit about Land Rover Discoveries. Full fat Range Rovers or  Land Rover Defenders maybe, high end Porsches more likely. These pillocks have been earning an average of around £3million a year in the Premier league! 

6 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Monty Python Messiah GIF

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Crab Lungs said:

Also, best bit… Kamaldeen and Alcaraz

if true, of course.

’dominate possession stats’ - hope that obsession will wane. 

He’s mates with JWP? Odd connection.

And Rhys just happened to bump into RM and ended up having a lengthy chat about seasons ambitions and transfer dealings? 

One to file under bullshit me thinks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

He’s mates with JWP? Odd connection.

And Rhys just happened to bump into RM and ended up having a lengthy chat about seasons ambitions and transfer dealings? 

One to file under bullshit me thinks.

I know he's mates with Redmond so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he knows JWP. And Koeman used to loosely discuss transfers freely. 

It probably IS bullshit but you never know!

Just now, Bad Wolf said:

I know he's mates with Redmond so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he knows JWP. And Koeman used to loosely discuss transfers freely. 

It probably IS bullshit but you never know!

Yeah it could have happened, seems like an odd thing for an account that's been around for a while to just make up. Possible embellishment but some of it seems to fit. 

The Beeb reporting that "Martin will finally be announced."

No date but at least we know there WILL be an announcement and he won't just start showing up in training photos and on the touchline without an introduction. Positive steps for sure.

• Like 1