Russell Martin

LegalEagle

There's too much change ahead for us to expect to hit the ground running at the start of the season.  We will also have 5 weeks or so of a transfer window to contend with which I can see being an uncertain time for the squad and no doubt we will still be active with incomings. 

Whether your glass is half full or half empty, whether you agree with the new manager appointment or not; the team and new manager need some space to get things right.  There's no point anyone shitting the bed in August.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Is anyone actually bothered by what brand of football is played? Obviously excluding stuff like "a losing brand. If the style of football doesn't affect the result, how much do you care?

I just want us to win the Champions League.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, saintant said:

A look at past history for relegated teams tells me it will not be an easy ride.

Burnley 22/23

Fulham 21/22

Norwich and Watford 20/21

Fulham 19/20

5/12 in the last 4 seasons went straight Back up. 42 %

With the gulf in money. anything less than Play off position would be a failure of a season.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

I think it's important because it has knock on effect with regards to atmosphere at SMS. The club already go out their way to accommodate the away fans so by muting the home support because of mind numbing style of football being played just gives further advantage to the away side and our home record in recent seasons backs that up. 

That's a fan's problem. Not a club one. If we win every game 1-0 with every one being a penalty, with 7% possession and having conceded 15 shots on target each game it'll be our best ever season and we'll break all kinds of positive records.

21 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Burnley 22/23

Fulham 21/22

Norwich and Watford 20/21

Fulham 19/20

5/12 in the last 4 seasons went straight Back up. 42 %

With the gulf in money. anything less than Play off position would be a failure of a season.

So, if we finish above Leic and Leeds we are very likely to go up.?

Based on at least one of the relegated teams going back up in recent seasons.

That makes the challenge somewhat clearer can we finish above Leic and Leeds?

30 minutes ago, sandwichsaint said:

So, if we finish above Leic and Leeds we are very likely to go up.?

Based on at least one of the relegated teams going back up in recent seasons.

That makes the challenge somewhat clearer can we finish above Leic and Leeds?

a significantly better chance than if we finish below that's for sure

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

That's a fan's problem. Not a club one. If we win every game 1-0 with every one being a penalty, with 7% possession and having conceded 15 shots on target each game it'll be our best ever season and we'll break all kinds of positive records.

Actually it's a club problem because matchday revenue is more important in the championship plus the knock on effect with regards to retail sales as well need to be taken into account. I'm pretty sure a winning team albeit boring to watch won't sell out SMS in the championship. A winning team that plays nice football much more likely. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Viking Saint said:

Some interesting comments from Swansea fans. Not inspiring....

Screenshot_20230613_172029_Chrome.jpg

I've set my expectations at David Brent cross Puel. Which is a pretty low bar. 

The saving grace is that we should have a very competitive side for the level, so we can afford imitate his Swansea side (who had the most shots, missed most of them, and had the 5th worse defence in the league) and still challenge for promotion... 

In Rasmus we trust right? 😂

Edited by Saint86
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Actually it's a club problem because matchday revenue is more important in the championship plus the knock on effect with regards to retail sales as well need to be taken into account. I'm pretty sure a winning team albeit boring to watch won't sell out SMS in the championship. A winning team that plays nice football much more likely. 

After Nottingham Forest and similar games at home last season I'd take either..

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

We don't actually have a choice. A lot of People coming in will be employed by Sports Republic, rather than Southampton so any transfer if ownership of the club in future will be much much more difficult.

3 hours ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

A winning team playing boring football will sell out more than an exciting team who keep losing

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Saint86 said:

I've set my expectations at David Brent cross Puel. Which is a pretty low bar. 

The saving grace is that we should have a very competitive side for the level, so we can afford imitate his Swansea side (who had the most shots, missed most of them, and had the 5th worse defence in the league) and still challenge for promotion... 

For the hundredth time Rasmus is not in charge of recruitment. Jason Wilcox is. Pretty confident he will have a list of wants already. 
Rasmus is in charge of overseeing the roster of Sports Republic clubs.

The only reason Rasmus was hastily put in charge of recruitment last season was Joe Shields fucked off to Chelsea after 3 months throwing our plans out the window.

I would like to congratulate Shields success at Chelsea 🤔

• Like 8
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, manji said:

For the hundredth time Rasmus is not in charge of recruitment. Jason Wilcox is. Pretty confident he will have a list of wants already. 

The only reason Rasmus was hastily put in charge of recruitment last season was Joe Shields fucked off to Chelsea after 3 months throwing our plans out the window.

Darren Mowbray is in charge of recruitment, reporting into Wilcox.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, manji said:

Wilcox will sign it off and I’m sure it be heavily analysed again. It’s his call.

I hope so. Didn't he join Saints just recently, and after Martin had already been chosen?

We'll find out sooner or later how much of an input he had in that choice.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, saintant said:

Probably as patient as fans at every other professional club in the country.

Guess given we sat through a similar number defeats under Jones (albeit punctured by the Everton & Man City wins) before revolting, you might be right, but I also think the last two appointments increase the heat on RM even more, and there will be even greater pressure to get results early. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Is anyone actually bothered by what brand of football is played? Obviously excluding stuff like "a losing brand. If the style of football doesn't affect the result, how much do you care?

The style is paramount. Why else would anybody pay to watch it?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

That would be awful. I assume you are used to watching the table on Teletext?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

I hope so. Didn't he join Saints just recently, and after Martin had already been chosen?

We'll find out sooner or later how much of an input he had in that choice.

At that stage Rasmus was taking the decisions. Officially Wilcox didn’t start the job until the end of the season but has been working for quite a while. We have a robust plan moving forward. Dragan only recently mentioned he regrets not being more involved enough last season. 
This season he’s has said he is going to be far more proactive.

Ive watched some of his interviews on YouTube. He seems a intelligent decent bloke but I wouldn’t wasn’t to get on the wrong side of him.

he’s like a younger version of Rupert Murdoch owns the biggest media group in Eastern Europe. Also heavily involved in politics openly confronts the Serbian and Croatian governments head on.

Edited by manji
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

The style is paramount. Why else would anybody pay to watch it?

I pay to watch because its  my team and I've been doing that since the war, whatever the style. We've had solid fighters with Ted Bates, we've had exciting showmen with Lawrie Mc we've had high hopes with Poch and Koeman and we've had the most drear and turgid days recently. We pay up because its our team, all we want is a team to be proud of.

• Like 10

Todays the day I reckon, they’ve been waiting for the weather to improve. Expect Big Russell, new application of L’Oreal rich mahogany, scarf aloft - new video screens in shot as a good news double whammy -  by late afternoon.

Fuck knows…

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Dellman said:

I pay to watch because its  my team and I've been doing that since the war, whatever the style. We've had solid fighters with Ted Bates, we've had exciting showmen with Lawrie Mc we've had high hopes with Poch and Koeman and we've had the most drear and turgid days recently. We pay up because its our team, all we want is a team to be proud of.

It’s a professional football club, not a charity. Why not just send them £600 every year?

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Is winning all that matters to you? Winning by any means?

He said 'prospect' of a win, not winning per se. It's been awful going this last season as even for us optimists the hope for a win was pretty forlorn, plus dire football into the bargain.

6 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

Wow, Swansea fans network really don't rate Southampton, the club, the location, how it's run. They think RM will be sacked after 3 losses. And Matt Grimes is only on £6k a season!!!

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/60350/grimes-undecided-on-southampton-as-family-must-come-first-…

How did you gleam all that from that article? Basically says he's settled in swansea, that we've been a basket case club lately, and that they'll be a lot of pressure and uncertainty at saints - particularly if things don't go well.

10 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

How did you gleam all that from that article? Basically says he's settled in swansea, that we've been a basket case club lately, and that they'll be a lot of pressure and uncertainty at saints - particularly if things don't go well.

And if he stays for his contract he would have earnt over £5m!

Not sure where 6k per season comes from - although I stopped reading at "St Marty's"...

32 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

Wow, Swansea fans network really don't rate Southampton, the club, the location, how it's run. They think RM will be sacked after 3 losses. And Matt Grimes is only on £6k a season!!!

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/60350/grimes-undecided-on-southampton-as-family-must-come-first-…

Hopefully they’ll appoint Nathan Jones as Martin’s replacement, that should brighten their focus. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Is winning all that matters to you? Winning by any means? 

if that’s what you want then you’re supporting the wrong team.

Of course it's all that matters to me. If we lose, I'm sad, if we win I'm happy. The method by which we do either is completely irrelevant.

16 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

That would be awful. I assume you are used to watching the table on Teletext?

We would win the league with a record points total, record wins and record goals conceded.

How could that possibly be awful?

Like I said though, it's entirely your prerogative. You pay your money to go and so if you prioritise entertainment over results, I completely respect that. I just don't.

2 hours ago, the saint in winchester said:

£6k a season? 

Says £60k per month on that article you quoted, i.e. £13.8k per week. £720k a season.

Well I have to say the club are doing a good job of trying to bore the pants off their supporters in this close season. There’s been no hint of anything official and newsworthy regarding Wilcox, the retained squad list, new manager, coaches, development of facilities etc., just media speculation. I know relegation is a kick in the teeth and there’s lots of stuff to sort out, but surely they must realise supporters want to be kept informed about how the ‘big rebuild’ is progressing? 🤔

Or would that be impatient and too much to ask? 😉🤣

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

£6k a season? 

Says £60k per month on that article you quoted, i.e. £13.8k per week. £720k a season.

One of my favourite forum things is when someone posts a link to an article they've misread or misunderstood, accompanied by some text in the post which isn't actually in the article.

This is sometimes followed by comments from people who haven't been arsed to read the actual article but have decided to take the posters summary as true and then argue a point based on it.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Miltonaggro said:

Todays the day I reckon, they’ve been waiting for the weather to improve. Expect Big Russell, new application of L’Oreal rich mahogany, scarf aloft - new video screens in shot as a good news double whammy -  by late afternoon.

Fuck knows…

The main way the weather could improve is to stop being so fucking hot!

21 hours ago, manji said:

I know you said for the hundredth time but are you confident on that or just what you assume through reading press and interviews etc

Rasmus comes across as such a cock that often those types of  people dont find it easy to let others make decisions plus Wilcox only has experience with kids not full adults so would he be fully trusted from the getgo

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Well I have to say the club are doing a good job of trying to bore the pants off their supporters in this close season. There’s been no hint of anything official and newsworthy regarding Wilcox, the retained squad list, new manager, coaches, development of facilities etc., just media speculation. I know relegation is a kick in the teeth and there’s lots of stuff to sort out, but surely they must realise supporters want to be kept informed about how the ‘big rebuild’ is progressing? 🤔

Or would that be impatient and too much to ask? 😉🤣

what more excitment do you need than Moi going

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, The Cat said:

The main way the weather could improve is to stop being so fucking hot!

When Rasmus dons the white speedos and sombrero he is cooked and the announcement is made. Timing is everything (Goldmine Effect, chapter two). 

• Haha 2