Russell Martin

LegalEagle

52 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I cannot believe we still don't have someone in place. 

Agree, it doesn't look good.

What is it, 3 weeks wasted so far? If we are penny pinching over something like this then it doesn't really suggest our owners are going to bankroll us back up anytime soon.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Dusic said:

I'm pretty sure Martin is being involved in the key discussions regardless of whether he has been officially announced.

Just like Wilcox was before he officially started.

Do you have information to that effect? That would be at the very least breach of contract and conflict of interest, seems very unlikely. 

Standard Saintsweb response to SR managerial appointments seem to follow a well trodden path…

Denial…(it’ll be someone with a great pedigree) 😘

Anger…(what the fook are they doing?!?) 🤬

Resignation…(oh well, it could be worse I suppose!) 🤨

Acceptance…(its happening, there’s plus points, might as well get behind the bloke)😐

Impatience…(what’s the hold-up…we need this guy now?!)

😉🤣

• Haha 6

As I said, as our geniuses have identified who they want, just pay the money and get it done. Be decisive. Get it done.

Yes he’ll start work properly when we actually return, I get that but let’s have a show of decisiveness.

but oh no, not us. 

unless there is something we cannot overcome that’s legally binding, find a way. It’s quite pathetic.

• Like 2

It is odd that we still don’t have an announcement on Martin, as it looked like a done deal weeks ago. It was an anticlimax at the time so likely to feel like a non-event now - another own goal. Positive spin might be that Wilcox has come in with some fresh names and ideas meaning that the club is sounding out and negotiating at present. Either way we appear to be seeing more Nero style violin playing despite the recent PR piece from Spurt Republic.  Anyone seen  Viera and Henry at Nandos in Westquay? 

4 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

It is odd that we still don’t have an announcement on Martin, 

We have.

The announcement was that the manager would be in place before pre-season started.  That's at least another week away.  Not sure what everyone is getting up tight about, it's not like he'd be doing anything even if he was appointed right now.

At least we're saving a couple of weeks' wages ;) 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

We have.

The announcement was that the manager would be in place before pre-season started.  That's at least another week away.  Not sure what everyone is getting up tight about, it's not like he'd be doing anything even if he was appointed right now.

Yeah, I know Weston, though appears that the jungle drums have faded somewhat. The saving on wages will keep Rasmus in soya lattes for a few weeks. I’m not overly bothered but it does seem unusually quiet, too quiet…🤠 

1 hour ago, Toussaint said:

Do you have information to that effect? That would be at the very least breach of contract and conflict of interest, seems very unlikely. 

which is exactly why there is nothing with information to that effect but its would definitely be happening unless the SR team are complete morons

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Standard Saintsweb response to SR managerial appointments seem to follow a well trodden path…

Denial…(it’ll be someone with a great pedigree) 😘

Anger…(what the fook are they doing?!?) 🤬

Resignation…(oh well, it could be worse I suppose!) 🤨

Acceptance…(its happening, there’s plus points, might as well get behind the bloke)😐

Impatience…(what’s the hold-up…we need this guy now?!)

😉🤣

Yeah it's funny. Let's be clear here, this is a manager that no statistically significant proportion of the fanbase are excited about. The bed wetting is all very predictable, but it does bode well for general spectator entertainment over the summer.

On the logic behind some of the panicking - We can only assume that some fans consider that Managers are not allowed to have a holiday... also that new Southampton employees would never ever even dream of discussing their new job whilst essentially on gardening leave / seeing out holiday time for their old job 🙄🤣😂. Some of the same posters that said he couldn't possibly be doing this are the same ones that have been assuring us that wilcox has been working for saints for months as well 😂And that's ignoring the fact that it happens all the damn time in all walks of life 🙄🤣

And aside from all that, is he even back from holiday to do all the PR / interviews / announcement guff that will be required to sate our bipolar apathetic/impatience as fanbase re his appointment? 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2

It’s not just getting the manager over the line though is it.

Probably half the squad will be leaving and replacements will need to be found that fit in with the yawn ball possession style that Martin will introduce.

All that coupled with recent staff changes at the top means there is a lot to put in place and surely the manager should already be there getting established at the club and preparing for next season.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Saint Billy said:

Probably half the squad will be leaving and replacements will need to be found that fit in with the yawn ball possession style that Martin will introduce.

All that coupled with recent staff changes at the top means there is a lot to put in place and surely the manager should already be there getting established at the club and preparing for next season.

Why do we want to give him the best time possible to prepare? Are we not all in agreement that he will fail, and the sooner he fails the better? Lets hope he gets as little time to influence players with his yawn ball as possible, before the next fella comes along... or am I reading this forum wrong? ;)

I've heard they plan to announce him 5 mins before the kick-off of our first game back in the Championship. The latest data Sport Republic have - based on their 3 Saints managers to date - suggests the further away they keep a manager from the playing staff, the less chance he has to cock things up.

Edited by Ivan Katalinic's 'tache
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Saint Billy said:

What are you expecting him to do even if he starts on Monday?

We have new people to sort out transfers - even Rasmus has said he won't be sticking his nose in.  The players are still on holiday.  It's not going to take long for him to sort out some pens and post-it notes in the office.  Then what, wander round looking at the trophies?  Should be done by lunchtime on Monday!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

We have new people to sort out transfers - even Rasmus has said he won't be sticking his nose in.  The players are still on holiday.  It's not going to take long for him to sort out some pens and post-it notes in the office.  Then what, wander round looking at the trophies?  Should be done by lunchtime on Monday!

Yeah…..if however it isn’t done by this time next week we do have a problem Houston cos they are back the following week !

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Yeah…..if however it isn’t done by this time next week we do have a problem Houston cos they are back the following week !

Has that been officially announced?

I thought the only reference so far was 'end of June'??

Edited by Weston Super Saint

15 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Week after next is the end of June ! 1 July is a Saturday, they can’t be coming back Monday 3rd with barely a month until season starts.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I expect they will be back for preseason a week on Monday, the 26th June.

3 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

We have.

Apart from getting some players in?

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I've seen our trophy cabinet on a tour of SMS. That was 10 seconds well spent. 😎

• Haha 3

42 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

You think it will be the new manager's job to scout new players, then negotiate with the selling club and their agents?

When will he fit pre season training in?

No and no to the first two questions, but do you think he’ll have no input whatsoever ?

To the third question, sometime before the start of the season 😉.

Edited by Sarisbury Saint

The delay isnt ideal for us, but its also not ideal for one of our championship rivals in finding a replacement. Swansea looking to League 1 for their new manager (Michael Duff who has done good jobs at Cheltenham and then Barnsley)

15 hours ago, malcolm waldron said:

My sources are telling me the same thing.  You've got to admire the club here for taking bold and decisive action and sacking a manager that's not been appointed yet.  Rasmus obviously had his scouts watching RM recently - and can't have been impressed with how for example he got his family to the airport and on to the plane, his communication skills in a second language at check-in when asking for a bigger room with. a sea view (which by the way he'd paid a healthy premium to have when booking last year), and generally how he carried himself poolside and then at the sea food buffet in the evening.

Rasmus has taken plenty of flak this year but he's obviously listened and has invented an innovative way of avoiding paying compensation.  Coming to a TED talk near you soon.

You should make that into a poem!

5 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Looks like Maresca is heading to Leicester... And people were worried Leicester would poach Martin from us 🤣

And yet, while there are positives in this article from The Athletic, if we had seen these things said of Maresca had he been appointed at Saints, I think I know how people would have reacted….

IMG_5406.jpeg

IMG_5405.jpeg

5 minutes ago, InvictaSaint said:

And yet, while there are positives in this article from The Athletic, if we had seen these things said of Maresca had he been appointed at Saints, I think I know how people would have reacted….

IMG_5406.jpeg

IMG_5405.jpeg

Love how they have tried to be positive in that article.

He was in charge for 14 games at Parma and they only highlighted his 4 wins and 5 draws, what about the 5 losses as well ?

Anyway Wilcox will have more pull in Man City EDS than him for sure and probably Kompany as well as he needs complete premier league players now.

• Like 2

We read reports that Maresca was also on our list, if not our first choice. I appreciate Leicester have been more successful recently and had been in the top 8 the last 3 seasons before relegation. However, with our links to City, Wilcox and a big budget to build a team in your image, I struggle (even with SR taking some bizarre risks last season) to see why Maresca wouldn’t see us as a better fit for him. Jones aside we do often show more patience to managers than most too.

This makes me wonder if Martin was always our first choice and we had just sounded our Maresca as an option. Unless the treble win has given him an ‘I’ve completed it’ vibe to try something new/change his mind, and by this time we had already moved on.

Regardless, it will be very interesting to see how he does at Leicester. The Parma failure would be a worry, as was the Stoke experience for Nathan Jones.

The only Saints announcement I can remember dragging on so long was Rudi Skacel!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, goodymatt said:

We read reports that Maresca was also on our list, if not our first choice. I appreciate Leicester have been more successful recently and had been in the top 8 the last 3 seasons before relegation. However, with our links to City, Wilcox and a big budget to build a team in your image, I struggle (even with SR taking some bizarre risks last season) to see why Maresca wouldn’t see us as a better fit for him. Jones aside we do often show more patience to managers than most too.

This makes me wonder if Martin was always our first choice and we had just sounded our Maresca as an option. Unless the treble win has given him an ‘I’ve completed it’ vibe to try something new/change his mind, and by this time we had already moved on.

Regardless, it will be very interesting to see how he does at Leicester. The Parma failure would be a worry, as was the Stoke experience for Nathan Jones.

The only Saints announcement I can remember dragging on so long was Rudi Skacel!

I read that Maresca turned us down which makes Martin second choice. Assuming he signs of course.

When does Wilcox officially start then ? Could it be they are waiting to announce him first so he can then announce Martin and everything's done and work is ongoing behind the scenes and it's just a timing issue.

Probably important to show Rasmus not presenting Martin as he'll be tarnished as a Rasmus appointment.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

When does Wilcox officially start then ? Could it be they are waiting to announce him first so he can then announce Martin and everything's done and work is ongoing behind the scenes and it's just a timing issue.

Probably important to show Rasmus not presenting Martin as he'll be tarnished as a Rasmus appointment.

Good point. I thought I’d read that Wilcox joined on 1st June but there’s been no welcome interview etc on the website setting out his vision, plans (5 pledges? :)) etc yet.

If Wilcox is to have total control of football, it would make sense if he gets to announce Martin.

I don’t really understand the secrecy. Wilcox must have an official start date set in stone. He was recruited in January after all. Why don’t the club just tell us?

• Like 1

Sorry lads, but I don't think there's a chance Swansea are in agreement with paying Martin's wages because we don't want to announce him until we can officially reveal Jason Wilcox has completed his notice period and has joined the club.

All media have reported the contractual fee dispute, which is probably the reason. Personally, don't think we have much to stand on legally either when it was out in the public that we were approaching Martin while we still had at least one Premier League fixture left to play, as a Premier League club.

At the end of the day, we're just being our usual ponderous, slow and "relaxed" selves, as we were in January with a striker and as we were last summer, again with the striker. Not too much to worry about at the moment with players on holiday, but we're hardly an attractive place for new signings at the moment, who you'd expect talks to start with now given we can kind of say Russell Martin is the new manager, he wants you, but it could fall through and we'll appoint a different manager who won't play you. 

• Like 3

I’d be very disappointed if the new manager (Martin) is not in place by the end of June. Realistically, it should be this coming week in order to allow sufficient time to plan pre-season, sort through the transfers in and out etc etc. 

1 hour ago, HarvSFC said:

Sorry lads, but I don't think there's a chance Swansea are in agreement with paying Martin's wages because we don't want to announce him until we can officially reveal Jason Wilcox has completed his notice period and has joined the club.

All media have reported the contractual fee dispute, which is probably the reason. Personally, don't think we have much to stand on legally either when it was out in the public that we were approaching Martin while we still had at least one Premier League fixture left to play, as a Premier League club.

At the end of the day, we're just being our usual ponderous, slow and "relaxed" selves, as we were in January with a striker and as we were last summer, again with the striker. Not too much to worry about at the moment with players on holiday, but we're hardly an attractive place for new signings at the moment, who you'd expect talks to start with now given we can kind of say Russell Martin is the new manager, he wants you, but it could fall through and we'll appoint a different manager who won't play you. 

We should tell Swansea we no longer want him. They'd be really stuck then because they wouldn't want to keep him and nobody else wants him.

13 hours ago, gordonToo said:

I read that Maresca turned us down which makes Martin second choice. Assuming he signs of course.

Maresca did turn us down but did any source say he was first choice though? We could have been putting out feelers for interest among a number of our preferred candidates simultaneously

37 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Maresca did turn us down but did any source say he was first choice though? We could have been putting out feelers for interest among a number of our preferred candidates simultaneously

Exactly that. 

Either way I don't remember reading anything linking Maresca with our vacancy anyway. Can anyone remember where this was actually said?

8 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Exactly that. 

Either way I don't remember reading anything linking Maresca with our vacancy anyway. Can anyone remember where this was actually said?

In the Daily Mail, so it must be true... ;)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12107727/Southampton-expect-Swansea-boss-Russell-Martin-new-manager.html

Edited by trousers

16 hours ago, goodymatt said:

Fair argument to suggest we showed more patience with Jones than most would, for me.