Russell Martin

LegalEagle

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Leeds supposedly narrow down their managerial candidates to Brendan Rodgers and Daniel Farke.

Both solid appointments at this level. You can’t discredit Rodgers’ achievements, regardless of what people think of him.

• Like 1

While he may not be as bad as some Swans fans think, all signs are he’s at best a mediocre Championship manager. But Rasmus W. Ankersen with his f***ing spreadsheets thinks he’s found his Thomas Frank. Just like he thought he did with that disaster known as Nathan Jones. 

Edited by Dark Munster
  • Like 6

Just now, Dark Munster said:

While he may not be as bad as some Swans fans think, all signs are he’s at best a mediocre Championship manager. But Rasmus W. Ankersen with his f***ing spreadsheets thinks he’s found his Thomas Frank. Just like he thought he did with that disaster known as Nathan Jones. 

This is the issue, isn't it? The perpetual search for the next Thomas Frank. Rasmus won't stop until he finds him. All the while St Mary's burns around him...

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

It was a Wilcox appointment but you do you

• Like 3

Pretty sure a lot of our fans were saying things like "no plan B" and "will be gone by christmas" about Poch when he left us for Spurs. Partly as some kind of defence mechanism as ultimately your club has been ditched in favour of another.

A good number of fans are fairly clueless. There are plenty on this thread that think we have played possession football for the last few seasons, to select one example.

Best thing about this appointment, in addition to Wilcox, is that it shows some joined up thinking, which has been lacking for a while.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 10

24 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

This is the issue, isn't it? The perpetual search for the next Thomas Frank. Rasmus won't stop until he finds him. All the while St Mary's burns around him...

It's arguably better to search for the diamond that gets us promoted than settle for known quantities that won't take us anywhere

1 hour ago, Dark Munster said:

Isn't his Thomas Frank, Thomas Frank? 

• Haha 5

Been watching a few Championship predictions videos from Youtubers (for my sins) and most of them think Martin is a good appointment and that we will be top 2 contenders. Personally it's too early to predict as we will see a lot of players leaving but it's nice to be talked about as promotion contenders... for now.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

At least, if nothing else, we have a squad of mostly technical players who suit his style, unlike with Jones.

• Like 1

I am interested to see what martin can do with his football with better quality of players already in the squad or soon to come from Wilcox who i have big belief in.

Think we will have a diamond midfield for more passing options across the pitch which "could be" very exciting for us as the players exploit the inevitable opposition player drawn out of position.

We just need to ensure we get a proper goal scorer.

Screenshot 2023-06-14 at 10.04.59.png

Edited by Convict Colony
couldnt find this yesterday
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

It was a Wilcox appointment but you do you

I would feel much better if that were true, but I'm far from convinced. Wasn't Martin in the frame before Wilcox was appointed? It may be that he approved the choice upon arrival (did he have much choice?), but for me this appointment has R. W. Ankersen's fingerprints all over it (hopefully I'm wrong).

It certainly suits R. W. Ankersen to have it widely perceived that Martin's a Wilcox decision in case it goes tits up (again). On the other hand if Martin does well I wouldn't be surprised to see R. W. Ankersen claiming credit, and pasting it all over his self-idolising website (with his own domain, rasmusankersen.com FFS!)

8 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

I would feel much better if that were true, but I'm far from convinced. Wasn't Martin in the frame before Wilcox was appointed? It may be that he approved the choice upon arrival (did he have much choice?), but for me this appointment has R. W. Ankersen's fingerprints all over it (hopefully I'm wrong).

It certainly suits R. W. Ankersen to have it widely perceived that Martin's a Wilcox decision in case it goes tits up (again). On the other hand if Martin does well I wouldn't be surprised to see R. W. Ankersen claiming credit, and pasting it all over his self-idolising website (with his own domain, rasmusankersen.com FFS!)

24 minutes ago, Dusic said:

20 minutes ago, Maggie May said:

Rickie Lambert - from England international to David Icke forum moderator.

Has Icke suggested Martin’s possession football is a means of sedating  the fans ?

If not, what is the relevance? 

4 hours ago, SNSUN said:

Been watching a few Championship predictions videos from Youtubers (for my sins) and most of them think Martin is a good appointment and that we will be top 2 contenders. Personally it's too early to predict as we will see a lot of players leaving but it's nice to be talked about as promotion contenders... for now.

Top 2 contenders?  We’re going to fucking smash it.

9 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

I find the whole narrative around Rasmus a bit boring and childish tbh, and before you respond Ive said how Ive met and don’t particularly like the bloke

But its been stated a few times now that;

- Rasmus is stepping back from immediate football decisions

- Wilcox is running the club day to day on footballing matters

- Martin was heavily favoured by Wilcox

• Like 8

13 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

It's arguably better to search for the diamond that gets us promoted than settle for known quantities that won't take us anywhere

well with the squad we had , it needs trimming down and coaching properly,maybe the footballing gurus can come up with the answer?

14 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

In fairness I think Thomas Frank failed to win in something like his first 10 games. Not sure how patient our fans will be if that happens… 

5 minutes ago, SW11_Saint said:

In fairness I think Thomas Frank failed to win in something like his first 10 games. Not sure how patient our fans will be if that happens… 

If we lose our first couple of home games I think the fans will turn. We've been served up so much shit by the last 3 managers over the last 18 months, anything other than an early win at St Mary's then the fans will become restless, especially as Martin isn't the choice the majority would have picked.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Viking Saint said:

Some interesting comments from Swansea fans. Not inspiring....

Screenshot_20230613_172029_Chrome.jpg

Take all of that with a pinch of salt, in someway I'm more concerned about the Swansea fans not slagging him off but completely unbothered about him leaving,  happy to roll the dice and try someone else 

17 minutes ago, Paul Chuckle said:

If we lose our first couple of home games I think the fans will turn. We've been served up so much shit by the last 3 managers over the last 18 months, anything other than an early win at St Mary's then the fans will become restless, especially as Martin isn't the choice the majority would have picked.

I think it will be the manner of defeats that will dictate that. Anyone can be unlucky and lose a game or two but if we have no discernable game plan and we look aimless and muddled as we have done so often in the past couple of years then that will cause a mutiny. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I think it will be the manner of defeats that will dictate that. Anyone can be unlucky and lose a game or two but if we have no discernable game plan and we look aimless and muddled as we have done so often in the past couple of years then that will cause a mutiny. 

Yes agree with this to an extent, but I think fans will be a bit less accepting of a third failing manager being appointed, especially if we find our team bottom of the table after three games for example. The tolerance levels are historically low right now I reckon. Everyone is hoping Martin and a new look squad will tear up the Championship - personally I think there will a rude awakening for many as we’ll struggle to adapt and another season of failure, changing management etc will ensure an even more toxic atmosphere in SMS.

Edited by Saint Fan CaM
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I agree, and I think that was the issue with Jones. That loss to Forest, although 1-0 was fucking torrid! That was what made the fans turn rather than just the defeat. 

I hope he's given a fair crack! It's going to be a tough season and personally I think anything in and around playoffs would be decent given the overhaul of the entire club. It's something we can build upon going into next season. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jayrivers said:

I agree, and I think that was the issue with Jones. That loss to Forest, although 1-0 was fucking torrid! That was what made the fans turn rather than just the defeat. 

I hope he's given a fair crack! It's going to be a tough season and personally I think anything in and around playoffs would be decent given the overhaul of the entire club. It's something we can build upon going into next season. 

Being honest, with the resources we have we really should be in the playoffs as a minimum. Anything less really is a failure. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Being honest, with the resources we have we really should be in the playoffs as a minimum. Anything less really is a failure. 

Yes we should, but it's a tight league and we are literally rebuilding the entire club, if we miss out by a couple of points but overall it's been a good season, then I think that's fine. As long as we are building / improving and look like we'll build on that for the following season. 

The entire back room staff, management, directors, players etc... are all changing. Including the philosophy of how we play. That will take time 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, jayrivers said:

Yes we should, but it's a tight league and we are literally rebuilding the entire club, if we miss out by a couple of points but overall it's been a good season, then I think that's fine. As long as we are building / improving and look like we'll build on that for the following season. 

The entire back room staff, management, directors, players etc... are all changing. Including the philosophy of how we play. That will take time 

It's the philosophy of how we play that worries me. The proposed 'keepball' or possession football sounds even more boring than the tedious stuff of recent seasons. One thing is for sure, that style requires a deadly fininsher at the end of the slow build.

8 minutes ago, Dellman said:

It's the philosophy of how we play that worries me. The proposed 'keepball' or possession football sounds even more boring than the tedious stuff of recent seasons. One thing is for sure, that style requires a deadly fininsher at the end of the slow build.

I agree. And one finisher is never going to be enough. Too easy to defend against.

12 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

Wilcox will sign it off and I’m sure it be heavily analysed again. It’s his call.

Edited by manji
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Is anyone actually bothered by what brand of football is played? Obviously excluding stuff like "a losing brand. If the style of football doesn't affect the result, how much do you care?

I think it's important because it has knock on effect with regards to atmosphere at SMS. The club already go out their way to accommodate the away fans so by muting the home support because of mind numbing style of football being played just gives further advantage to the away side and our home record in recent seasons backs that up. 

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Dellman said:

Jeez, i struggle to see how we could become any more boring. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Yes agree with this to an extent, but I think fans will be a bit less accepting of a third failing manager being appointed, especially if we find our team bottom of the table after three games for example. The tolerance levels are historically low right now I reckon. Everyone is hoping Martin and a new look squad will tear up the Championship - personally I think there will a rude awakening for many as we’ll struggle to adapt and another season of failure, changing management etc will ensure an even more toxic atmosphere in SMS.

No chance. Our fans are a bunch of melts. Would just be polite applause as usual 

2 hours ago, SW11_Saint said:

Probably as patient as fans at every other professional club in the country.

2 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I doubt everyone is hoping or expecting Martin and a new look squad to tear up the Championship. It is a very tough league full of excellent teams.

4 minutes ago, saintant said:

I doubt everyone is hoping or expecting Martin and a new look squad to tear up the Championship. It is a very tough league full of excellent teams.

our relegated current squad has an estimated value of 3 - 4 times that of 21 championship clubs. With sales and incomings we should be tearing up the Championship. 

• Like 1

Just now, Nolan said:

our relegated current squad has an estimated value of 3 - 4 times that of 21 championship clubs. With sales and incomings we should be tearing up the Championship. 

A look at past history for relegated teams tells me it will not be an easy ride.

• Like 2