Russell Martin

LegalEagle

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

My sources are telling me it’s a done deal.

Disclaimer: my source is me reading social media and some random fuckwit account saying they think it’ll be done today; just like the previous three or four weeks. 👍🏻

unfortunately my source has stopped sharing his info with me 😢

• Haha 1

Nearly a month since it was first reported. I know theres the compensation issue, but a full month is taking the piss. 

I know pre season doesnt start until the end of the month, but Im thinking about what planning/discussions could have been done in the intervening period. Unless hes still been able to have those conversations without a breach in his Swansea contract.

15 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Nearly a month since it was first reported. I know theres the compensation issue, but a full month is taking the piss. 

I know pre season doesnt start until the end of the month, but Im thinking about what planning/discussions could have been done in the intervening period. Unless hes still been able to have those conversations without a breach in his Swansea contract.

Almost certainly would have been already having these discussions. I'd be amazed if he's not already spoken with the key players who are staying. 

1 hour ago, woodsaint1 said:

So to be clear, Wilcox hasn't joined us yet... but the argument/logic is that wilcox is working for saints and indeed credited for this appointment, whilst at the same time there is absolutely no way Martin can be having any input into decision making whilst on effective gardening leave / holiday from Swansea, and whilst the entire team is on holiday? Why are people cherry picking complete opposite arguments to find some stick to try and beat the club with. Reality is they'll both be sat in the background doing whatever needs to be done within reason (Martin is due a holiday, same as the players). I'm personally chuckling that Swansea have been paying his wages and delaying their own pre season plans whilst, if anything, he'll have been working for us... and they'll be getting still be getting the championship club level compensation.

And again, basically no one is even that excited by his appointment in the first damn place 😄

Edited by Saint86

2 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Tell me you dont know how business works without telling me 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ken Tone said:

Whatever the reason for the delay, this is the weirdest appointment process for a new manager at any club that I can remember.

I know about the compensation argument etc, but really   ...... What the hell is going on?!

You literally just answered the question that you went onto ask...

• Like 2

This is a very last roll of the dice from sports republic they have to get this one right....... third time lucky maybe! To say the fan base is underwhelmed is an understatement just like Luton with jones, Swansea don't seem too upset to lose him. How exactly will SR save face if they get this wrong to? 

After the misery of last season and with the morale of the fan base at rock bottom the last thing needed is a protracted month long recruitment of the new manager especially as he comes not exactly with the endorsement of the fans from his previous two clubs. 

I don’t know how much Sports Republic are in control of the situation but this period in the doldrums, while not critical, is just compounding the aura of malaise that has hung over St Mary’s for well over a year. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Mr X said:

This is a very last roll of the dice from sports republic they have to get this one right....... third time lucky maybe! To say the fan base is underwhelmed is an understatement just like Luton with jones, Swansea don't seem too upset to lose him. How exactly will SR save face if they get this wrong to? 

This all presuppposes Southampton is the priority for SR as it's certainly possibe Valenciennes in the main focus for management now.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, gordonToo said:

This all presuppposes Southampton is the priority for SR as it's certainly possibe Valenciennes in the main focus for management now.

The total value of the a Valenciennes squad, according to Transfermarkt is £18 million

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mr X said:

I think they’ve set Wilcox up as the fall guy if Martin is another flop. 
Of course the problem for them there is SR appointed Wilcox. 

16 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

It has to really because if we are also taking the back room staff they have a lot of recruiting to do in short time. Player’s return soon

Not sure they would want to have two managers and back room staff on the payroll. 

19 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

We haven't decided on Wilcox yet though have we? In Les Reeds era everything that went wrong was down to Les, everything that went right was despite him. Is Wilcox going to be the new Les Reed or is he a wonder DOF that has the golden touch and the problem is everyone around him.

13 minutes ago, Turkish said:

We haven't decided on Wilcox yet though have we? In Les Reeds era everything that went wrong was down to Les, everything that went right was despite him. Is Wilcox going to be the new Les Reed or is he a wonder DOF that has the golden touch and the problem is everyone around him.

Depends on first friendly he will have been in charge for 2 weeks by then.

Edited by Give it to Ron

40 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

Setting him up to be the fall guy is a stretch, but in his position there'll obviously be accountability of his decisions aren't good ones. Personally, I'm delighted that football related decisions are now in the hands of a football man, not a stats geek who talks a good game. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr X said:

It isn’t the “very last roll of the dice”.
SR own the club. Even if they get this wrong, they may roll multiple more dice multiple more times! 

Might not be a done deal, and some issues getting in the way.

My source tells me the sticking point is the car offered . The club have offered a top of the range 4x4, but Russell has rejected it. He’s insisting on a 1970’s Citroen CV with authentic ‘ban the bomb’ and ‘save the whale’ stickers which the club haven’t been able to find.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

To be fair, the club have played a blinder on this one.

Underwhelming, uninspired, meh manager appointment a month ago has turned into many fans hankering for his arrival as the new Messiah.

Credit where it's due!

Just get it over and done with. 

18 minutes ago, Badger said:

Might not be a done deal, and some issues getting in the way.

My source tells me the sticking point is the car offered . The club have offered a top of the range 4x4, but Russell has rejected it. He’s insisting on a 1970’s Citroen CV with authentic ‘ban the bomb’ and ‘save the whale’ stickers which the club haven’t been able to find.

I heard he has turned the job down after Rasmus had him round for a barbecue.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

I heard he has turned the job down after Rasmus had him round for a barbecue.

Courgette flambé and fermented Guava juice is not for everyone. Neither is being forced to play strip Twister with Ramus and Henrik! 

Edited by Miltonaggro
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Please enlighten us all as to whats going on then?

Martin has known for a month, possibly longer that he is going to be Southampton manager in this upcoming season.

Barely anyone is at Staplewood, most stuff will be dealt with on the phone, Zoom etc and as part of the 'recruitment process' I am sure he has been involved in whatever has been needed.

I highly doubt during that month that he has done absolutely nothing that might help prepare for the day when his contract is officially signed.

Just like Wilcox. Just like Crocker.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Random tweet 

Not claiming to be in the know or anything like that, but have been told by someone there, Russell Martin is at Staplewood this eve, hopefully doing his Media bits for tomorrow. #saintsfc

IMG_0737.png

1 hour ago, Give it to Ron said:

Random tweet 

Not claiming to be in the know or anything like that, but have been told by someone there, Russell Martin is at Staplewood this eve, hopefully doing his Media bits for tomorrow. #saintsfc

IMG_0737.png

Southampton Page is also that Rob guy on Twitter 🙄

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Seriously? 🤣🤣🤣 what an absolute dweeb 

Scroll through Rob’s feed, and scroll through the Southampton Page feed. Constantly tweeting and retweeting the same shit.

🚨Rob is a permanent tag🚨 (🤣)

Who the fuck RT’s what is going on in the PL2? Some people have way too much time on their hands. 😂

IMG_2106.jpeg

• Haha 1

At tonight's pub quiz the question was asked "Which league team had 4 managers in 2004"? It did take me a few seconds to realise that the basket case club was us. (Strachan, Wigley, Sturrock and Twitchy Ballsack).

I just hope for our sake and for Martin's that we don't repeat that feat in 2023.

14 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

At tonight's pub quiz the question was asked "Which league team had 4 managers in 2004"? It did take me a few seconds to realise that the basket case club was us. (Strachan, Wigley, Sturrock and Twitchy Ballsack).

I just hope for our sake and for Martin's that we don't repeat that feat in 2023.

Ralph was 2022, so it would have to be Martin and two more, and even that is going some for SR.